Disabled and desperate

Comments

• Well, did the wardrobes arrive all right, Patootie? You were so good taking care of everyone in the blackout, you deserve to have everything go your way for a while now!

I wrote a long post that I thought had been sent only it got lost somwhere so I'm going to keep this one very short and see if it 'sticks'!!

• image no wardrobes ... %(*&£&))_**_) .... image

You know how you get these 'funny feelings' ... well Friday morning I just felt somethjing was .. 'wrong' .. so I rang them again .. bear in mind the day before I had been assured that they were being delivered Friday ... this is roughly how the conversation went ..

... "hello .. I'm patootie .. could I just check that my wardrobes are being delivered today" .. silence .. "today madam?" .. "umm well yes .. that's what I was told yesterday morning" .... a longer silence ... then a fresh voice .. "I am very sorry 'modom' you shouldn't have been informed your wardrobes were being delivered .. as they aren't even in stock yet" ...... AARRGGHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!

... stoooooopid people ... I humped all my bits and pieces from the bedroom to the lounge .. swept up (not a bad thing) .. sat here waiting for a large van to arrive .. and they weren't even in the dratted warehouse ..

..... not expected to be delivered until 1st week of November now .. mind you she made me laugh .. she told me that due to my disappointment she would give me free delivery (normally £4.95) .. well that's very kind I said .. but had you looked at my acount you would see I already have free delivery on this order ..

.. so next week I shall ring the complaints department .. and tell them how I have been badly let down  .. and to see if they can actually tell me when my dratted wardrobes will be arriving ..

.. in time .. we shall be laughing about these events ... but NOT today ... image

• BB ✭✭✭

oh dear Patootie what a pain especially after all your forward planning and sortingimage 

I had a delivery from Ikea yesterday - just some wire basket drawers (if that makes sense) to go in our wardrobe so we can sort stuff out better. Mr B is working this weekend so I am going to get out the cordless drill/driver and see if I can sort it. I think I am going to have to unscrew all the current runners and move them down a bit to get the extra ones in - should be fun!

It's lovely weather here, has been all week, and we are off next week so hoping it holds. Happy weekends allimage

• Good luck B .. that sounds like a nice little project .. and of course if you do it yourself .. then you will get the drawers and baskets just where they will be most helpful image .. and when Mr B comes home you can show him proudly how clever his wife is .., image

And should it all go wrong .. you can play the .. ohh woe .. poor l'il me just couldn't cope without my big hunky man ... image

• Tsk tsk, Patootie, such cynicism. Who would have thought it in one so young? image)

But she's right, B, that's jolly good going. And it IS always better if you can do it yourself, of course, because then you get it the way you want it, and not the way someone else could manage to do it!  Isn't it funny how much difference little things, like the proper spacing of drawers and shelves, can make to the usefulness and efficiency of an entire system?

And Patootie, that is simply ROTTEN about the wardrobes! I am really appalled to see how casual and accepted this level of service seems to have become in the UK. It's YOUR money and YOUR time that they're talking about here!! So you make sure the complaints department gets the point, because this is just low.

It's a horrid thing to say, perhaps, but maybe one tiny silver lining to all this mess in the financial markets is that they will have to stop taking the customer for granted. In spite of all the rubbish everyone spouts about customer service, it's been apparent for the last decade that almost all of it was a highly cynical attempt to mislead people into buying things they didn't want or couldn't afford (or both) and that the whole system was fundamentally rotten because people got paid just for getting you to sign the contract. They didn't care a farthing whether you actually GOT the stuff, or LIKED it, because they were on to the next customer. I have noticed with revulsion how much of the language used is, revealingly, the language of adolescent sexuality: expressions like 'customer intimacy' really mean 'how can we get this one into bed---oh, sorry, I mean how can we get this one to do the deal?' Maybe when they REALLY have to compete for business, because not everyone has enough money to buy everything, things will actually improve somewhat on that front at least. (I hope so, because it looks as if things may be quite hard on a lot of innocent people who have done their best to be prudent all their lives, and to invest wisely---only to find now that the regulators have been asleep on the job and even the most 'conservative' companies have giant holes in their finances.)

Dear me, I rant, I had better stop. But I hope the bliddy wardrobes come SOON, Patootie, and that in the meantime they do something very, very nice for you to show they know they screwed up!

xxx

• BB ✭✭✭

haha Patootie - how did you know my fallback planimage However, I have managed to complete the poject and imagereally enjoyed - I need another project that involves an electric screwdriver - it's fun - no wonder Mr B aways does that bit himself! I do love to have a place for everything and everything in it's place. We need a bit more storage still - perhaps my next project .....?

• Very well done B .. another project .. hmmm ... you could build an extension on the back of the house ... these new funky wooden framed houses literally only need a screw driver image
  • BB ✭✭✭

lol I think a piece of flat pack furniture is perhaps more the mark!

Still I did find time to watch Lewis get pole in Japan - let's hope he can translate it into a winimage

• Been a funny old week ... weather up and down like a yoyo .. really hot some days .. yet frosty mornings .. typical Autumnal days .. but had my fibro doing fandango's .. it's much better weather for me in the long run though .. image

A few days ago I had intended to take a picture of the glorious cherry tree outside my lounge window .. the leaves were simply stunning, beautiful golds, reds and yellows make the tree seem ablaze with colour .. wait for morning I thought .. sun on it .. will look even better .. got my camera out ... but ... during the night there was some rain and brisk winds ... I got up in the morning to find my tree practically denuded of leaves .. sadly the stunning spectacle was over for this year .. unless you wanted a picture of bare branches with just a few straggly leaves left .. image

Wardrobes now arriving next Friday ... so fingers crossed there will be no further delays .. image

• That happened to me once with an Aspen tree in Canada

I spent several days walking underneath it, then it was dull and grey for a while. The next day the sun was shining brighlty but half the leaves  were gone! Autumn only lasts for about 10 days in the Rockies image image

I do hope your wardrobes arrive as planned on Friday.

• Wardrobes ... at last I have wardrobes ... wooooohoooooo !!

2 very courteous young lads just brought me my single, corner and double wardrobes and 3 door chest .. and I LURVE them image .. the furniture I mean .. not the lads image

They sit perfectly around the corner .. although I do admit I got my measurements slightly wrong .. I had calculated I had 1" spare when in fact I only have 1/2" spare ... so the lads did well to wriggle the wardrobes into the space ..   image

The colour of the light ash is perfect .. my hangers fit in perfectly ... and the door handles are just the perfect height for me .. and at half the price I could find anything in the local furniture stores they are pretty perfect all round .. image

Just one small problem ... I now have to go and fit all my clothes into them .. going to try and sort them into winter/summer posh/casual as I go .. image

Phew better get started .. I have a feeling it will take me all weekend !

• BB ✭✭✭

hurrah! glad the wardrobes are all in patootieimage

I am doing my first marathon tomorrow - finally it has stopped raining and the sun is shining so hopefully drying out the hills. It's the Beachy Head marathon up on the South Downs - lots of climbing, but then at least you get the downhills too! I'm really looking forward to meeting lots of forumites as it's very popular with RW peeps. Fish ans chips out tonight to fuel upimage I'm excited and wibbling all at the same time ...

• Thank you B ... image

Have a goo marathon, enjoy yourself .. and I hope your legs don't ache too much afterwards image

Fish and chips .. !! Blimey .. do runners really eat fish and chips .. won't they weigh you down .. image

• BB ✭✭✭
    thank toots - haha I have been eating for England just recently but apparently I am allowed because I have to carb-load to get lots of glycogen (I think) in my muscles to carry me through. In fact I think I have over done it  and I will now have to carry a few extra pounds up all the hills, but maybe I'll be quicker downhill with gravity to helpimage
  • http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/feedarticle/7928354

"More than 1,700 marathon runners stranded by floods in the Lake District remain unaccounted for, police said. Nearly a month's rain fell in one day in parts of Cumbria as torrential downpours blocked several roads in the area."

image what were those organisers thinking of .. several severe weather warnings had been given out long before the start of this marathon .. image

I hope each and every 'lost' athlete comes home safely .. and those folks in hospital with hypothermia recover quickly image

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/oct/26/fell-runners-missing-cumbria

Latest update and thankfully 'only' 44 missing now ... BUT .. those figures are based on the assumption that many are assumed to have returned home without informing the organisers. So it could still be hundreds .... ohhh hurry up and get them all safe .. image

Update:  Phew everyone is safe .. image

• Yay, Toots has wardrobes image

Hope you enjoyed Beachy B - how did you get on?  I expect it was a bit wet and windy was it?

I think if I was ever to do it I'd go with a plan of walking the up slopes and running the down slopes. image

Good to hear all the fell runners are safe although they are quite hardy types I understand and have to be in teams of two. Reading another thread it seems like some peeps think the media were exaggerating things a bit. Still I suppose it makes a change from the Credit Crunch! image

Yum - fish and chips image

• Gosh, I've been away for nearly 2 weeks and only NOW have the wardrobes arrived??? Maddening! However, it sounds like they were worth waiting for, Toots---they do sound like really Mary Poppins wardrobes---'practically perfect in every way'. Enjoy getting everything sorted and put away tidily, that's part of the pleasure, and having waited so long for them you deserve to enjoy every inch!

Well done on Beachy, B. A number of forumites I know were there---did you enjoy it?

Toots, I was worried about those fellrunners too, but I believe they were all accounted for by the next day. I guess that's a pretty elite race anyone, they only allow entrants who are both experienced and equipped. But that said, the weather was VERY dangerous, and the simple fact that they had so many rescue crews out does tell you something, doesn't it?

We had a lovely week in France, with perfect weather nearly every day; prolly the last time I'll see the sun until next spring. Well, not the last time I'll SEE it but the last time it will feel warm.  But though it's cold here now, it's also quite bright and crisp so nice weather for my daily 4 mile cycle to work.

Time for bed now, though. Sleep well, all! xx

• Nice to have you back GC and I am glad you enjoyed your holiday image

Yes .. I like the bedroom units so much I have just ordered a larger chest of drawers .. going to use the one I already have as a bedside drawer unit .. then I can get rid of the cheap canvas thing I have now . . I can put all my 'office' type things into the bedside drawers as well as all the usual female paraphanalia we try and balance on the bedside table .. having the extra drawers will mean I can get most things put away .. just my handbag 'tree' and the computer left in sight .. but the floor space all nice and clear .. and that will help me to keep it nice and tidy too .. I never feel like sweeping etc as I've always had to move so many piles of things  .. and dusting will be to a minimum .. woohooo .. isn't it lovely when you can get a place as you would like it ...

image got to laugh  .. every time I go in the bedroom I still say .. "woohooo my wardrobes .. I love them" .. I've put a really nice gold and black Thai Buddha on the top of the corner part of the wardrobes ... so that sits and looks down at me .. very peaceful and relaxing ...

http://www.price-drop.tv/Media/p.HO072047.mp.a.jpg

• Ooh lovely Toots,

Welcome back GC image

• Blimey .. doesn't time fly by ... finally getting round to screwing the doors handles onto the wardrobes properly .. I knew I had a screwdriver somewhere .. but just couldn't find it .. opened one of the ktchen drawers this morning and there it was image right on top ... but I KNOW I'd looked there several times and I'm sure it wasn't there .. hope I haven't brought the poltergeist from my last home here .. image

It doesn't help I am having a 'funny' few days ..  'flu feelings raging .. not a cold but proper influenza .. head feels 'mashed' .. sweating then cold .. everything aching like billy-o .. I just want to lay in bed ... but when I get there I feel 'icky and restless ... but then I am soooooo used to this by now .. comes round at least once a month ... image

Saw some lovely fireworks the last few nights .. perfectly placed in the gap between all the trees .. just had to look out and I could see them nicely ... did anyone go to a display .. or have fireworks at home ??

• BB ✭✭✭

hope you're over your flu symptons soon Toots.

Beachy Head was great thank you - I met loads of people from on here and we were lucky with the weather and it is such beautiful coutryside. Definitley a case of walking the steep uphills Screamy - even most of the faster people have to walk the really steep bits - to a mortal like me they are unrunnable, or anyway faster walking than running! Unfortuntaely after about 8 miles I had a pain in my leg that kept stopping me - it turns out it is my IT Band - but a kind guy took pity on me after about 17 miles and gave me some ibruprofen and after that I could run much more freely - in fact I was running faster between 20-26 miles than before that. I did 5.26 which I was pleased with considering the terrain. I have entered Hastings marathon in a few weeks, but have been having physio on my leg for the last couple of weeks and have not been able to run pain-free - more physio tomorrow and still holding onto the hope I will be able to do Hastings. That is a road marathon and so I should be able to do it faster but I really need to get some runs in beforehand.

• Very well done you, B! 5.26 on that kind of terrain is BRILLIANT!

Toots, I'm so sorry to hear you've got the flu. But it sounds like at least you're being sensible and taking it easy. So many people bash on hoping it will pass, but even if they seem to be getting better it so often turns around and bites them again even harder. So you lie low until you're really better, OK?

Must have been lovely to see the fireworks, though. I love fireworks, there's something so magical about them, they give back the wonder of childhood for just a minute. Of course here in Cloggyland nobody does fireworks on 5 November: it's new year's eve when they come out in force, and then they REALLY come out! We live about 5 miles from The Hague, and it sounds, quite seriously, like a bombardment with heavy artillery. A bit too much of a good thing, perhaps!! But these days we're usually in France for new year anyway, where they don't do anything at all in public as far as we can tell!

Has the weather improved over there yet? We always get your weather 24 hours later, so it's storm, wind and rain all round here today. I'm hoping it will calm down tomorrow....!

• Hi all,

5.26 is faster than I can run on the flat, well done B image

Hope you feel better soon Toots - I have have had a cold for 4 weeks out of 6 which is isn't like  me at all but speaking to other people these long-lasting colds seem to be something that's going round at the moment.image

We had a few fireworks in the garden on Wednesday. image 

• It's not a dose of the 'flu .. just the fibro 'flu like symptoms making themselves known more than usual .. happens roughly every  8-10 weeks ...  each and everyday is like having a touch of the 'flu .. but for some reason it is just a lot worse for a few days, every so often.

But feeling a bit brighter this evening .. haven't had the 'cold sweats' at all today .. so hopefully a better nights sleep than I've had the last 4-5 nights will put me to rights again .. image

• Well .. what an odd few weeks it's been ... had the longest spell of feeling 'fluey that I've had for a long long time .. but finally getting back to 'normality ' now .. image

I've had sad news from my sis .. her hubby's mother has died, she had been very ill for some time so in many ways it's a blessed release for her ..  then on 3rd November 2 of my radiators sprung leaks (thankfully spotted it quickly so no mess) .. the heating engineer who came round had never seen radiator fittings like them so they are still not repaired ... and for reasons which we haven't as yet worked out the really lovely Scheme Manager here has been suspended for 3 weeks and then was sacked yesterday  image

Even as I type they are loading up all their possessions into his works van ready to go who knows where ... some of the older ladies here are really distraught .. and a bit scared of what the future holds ... flippin' norah all that checking and finding out about this place before deciding to move was pretty much all for n'owt .. although of course the place and village are still perfect ... I just hope the new Scheme Manager is half as good ... they'll be my new neighbour as well image

• Huh?  What did the scheme manager do?  Very strange.

Been a while... The Original Moutain Marathon: yep, total storm in a teacup.  They hold it at that time of year in order to get rough weather, it's part of the challenge, and most of the participants loved it.  It's a 2 day event so they all expected to sleep out: they were not 'forced to take shelter in tents and barns'.  Those were there own tents and the barn was a half built one next to the field they would have been camping in anyway.  A lot of those unacounted for were actually unacounted for because a certain mine manager told them to turn back from walking over a pass towards the start, where they would have been checked in, and where race authorities had told them to go.  That being the same mine manager who was giving the media statements about the lake district being turned into a morgue...  No tax payers money was wasted.  Mountain rescue are supported by donations (and race competitors are now making massive donation amounts...).  Most of the rescue effort was not actually needed, and was exagerated.  More people were rescued that weekend who were not involved in the event than were.  One at least of the local mountain rescue groups declined to take part as they felt they weren't needed.  Many members of mountain rescue were there... doing the event!  The RAF helicopter would have had to stage a training exercise if they hadn't had some 'real' practice. In the end they had less serious injury than a major event such as the Great North Run (and no deaths). 

Anyway... still pretty busy.  Doing some more dogwalking.  Not riding the bike much (turns out the bike is fine for me (I got the physio to have a look at me on it).  The problem is a pretty normal woman's one: wide hips, means my knees don't track too well.  Would be a problem with any bike.  I'm working on it with physio, but it's always going to be a problem with biking (and running).

• Sorry to hear about your knees .. womanly curves and bicycles .. obviously no a good mix.

And that's some good info about the now 'infamous' lake district marathon .. typical of the media making a huge palaver out of it .. no doubt some folks were not as well prepared as others .. but I dare say they would have been helped out by those who were more experienced .. image

• Yeah, they were all in pairs, so inexperienced were meant to be paired with experienced. They did have random kit checks, but I guess some could have got through that.  I remember reading one account by people who dropped out because the rain was coming in all of the seams of their waterproofs.  The race rules actually specify taped seams, I guess to stop that.  Of course it's folks like that who came off the mountain who are the ones the media mostly spoke to.

I've been reading the event website...

• Yesterday I got up at 5am ... no .. I didn't want or need to .. just couldn't sleep any longer ... image

Start having a look around all the competition sites to look for more online Advent competitions to enter .. but got sidetracked as usual ..  image

Put some bread mix into the bread maker ... had several cups of coffee ... 9am .. went for a shower .. threw some clothes on .. and still fresh from the shower took the bread out of the bread maker ... mmmmmm .. glorious yeasty bread smells .. a lovely super crusty loaf of wholemeal bread ... shook the bread out of the baking pan .. and it was hot hot HOT .. grabbed the loaf to get it onto the cooling rack ... and .....

.... cut my flippin' finger on the crust ....  image

You see my skin was still tender soft from the shower ... and a little bit of the lovely crunchy crust sliced into a little bit of skin ... when I whipped my hand away with shock and pain .. the little bit of crunchy crust broke off and stayed in my finger .. had to do a 'mini op' to remove the piece of crust ... now how daft is that ... could only happen to me ...  image
  • Now I've cut my finger on a ten pound not Patootie, but never on a bread crust - you silly sausage! 

Hope the cold isn't making you suffer too much. I am getting a bit fed up with it.  I like running in my woolly hat though image