Disabled and desperate

Comments

• Sorry to have been away for so long, but it looks as if everyone has had a bit of a breather over the last few weeks.

Toots, I did have to laugh---only you could cut your finger on bread! It sounded so delish it must have been worth it, though! (That's the bread, not your finger.)

More worrying to hear that the Manager has left. That sort of person so often sets the whole tone of a small community like that. Have you had any news at all about the successor? How is she chosen? Do you have any say in it? Your new home sounds so perfect, I really, REALLY hope they choose someone nice who will keep the lovely atmosphere.  But you did say the place is run by a private trust, and they usually are more sensitive in their choices than public authorities are.

Rowan, what you said about the mountain marathon was interesting, especially about the rescue teams. I guess that was my only hesitation: I think people are entitled to take whatever risks they want to with their own safety, but they shouldn't do it at the expense of others and I was worried at first by what was in the news about the rescue teams going out there at risk to themselves. Sounds like that was a load of cobblers. Not surprisingly.

Well, in the last month I've been to Copenhagen with Chuglet 1 (who is now 25 and working in London). We booked it aaaages ago so we could get cheapo flights and hotel, and we had a real blast. Two days is about right as it's not a very large city; but we got to walk all over the old centre, and one day we took a 5 hour bus tour that went to three royal palaces all within about 40 minutes' drive of the city. One of them was the Hamlet castle, and one was really spectacular, Frederiksborg. It was built in the 1600's then caught fire in about 1850 and was rebuilt with support from the man behind Carlsberg beer! It houses the national history museum, and it really is magnificent. Look here . If you click on 'Shortguide' and then in the next screen click on 'interior' you get to some photos that give you a little idea.

Screamy, good for you for running in the cold! I haven't been out for over 2 weeks, I'm sorry to say---a combination of no time, and a disinclination to run when it's slippery. The frosty nights are supposed to be behind us, so I'm hoping to do better this week.

Patootie, are you over the worst of that fibro bout now? From reading back it looked as if you had a nasty couple of weeks at the start of November but I hope that's well and truly behind you now.

So what other news is there???

• Patootie, you out there? Don't post if you don't feel like it, I'm just hoping the cold weather hasn't set the fibro off again.

Are you ready for Christmas? I'm not! Chuglets 1 and 2 (working in London and at uni in Chester, respectively) are coming home today, which will be brill. C1 will join me in the choir for Nine Lessons and CArols on Sunday night, then she has to go back to London for another week but C2 will stay now til the new year image)) I think C3 will be relieved to have someone distract the parents for a little while so he can get on with his life!

Anyway, hope everyone is well and looking forward to Christmas!

• Bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning image

Went on a training course last week ... "Working with Contractors" .. sounds very dry but was quite enjoyable .. but yesterday afternoon I got a phone call asking me how the course went and would I 'pop in' to the housing societies head office this morning and tell them all about the course image

As per my usual short term memory loss problems I am right at this minute trying to make up some decent 'crib' notes so I can talk about the course ...  so fogive me if I don't stop and chat right now .. I am having to reach into the very back of my brain to try and remember things from last week and get them written down .. image

Will pop back in and chat later this afternoon ... image

• Last week - sometimes I can barely remember what happened yesterday! image

I bet the birds are going bananas with the bird feeders in this cold weather aren't they? - we have one family of 4 sparrows that are getting through a feederful of seed every single day at the moment  image

• Well .. I am back from the meeting ... we had a veritable feast of scrummy sandwiches and cakes provided for us .. huge pots of coffee .. and ... image .. ohhh yes ... I went there for a meeting didn't I ... not a scoffathon .... image

So ... I think I have signed away the next 5 years of my life in attending more courses and turning up for various meetings ...  but I am sure I will enjoy it ... and at the end of the day I can have a proper say in what happens to the complex I live in .... image

It's quite scary how 'expenses' are not even queried ... with last weeks training course and todays meeting I have had taxi's costing more than half my weekly rent ... plus all the nibbles today and last weeks lunch at the Cambridge Hilton ... streuth . I haven't lived this grandly for years .. hahaha

It's nice to be mentally challenged once again though .. I can feel my mind starting to roll over and pick up speed ... I know some folks revel in physical challenges .. but I am a purely cerebral kind of person ... and I like the other folks I will be meeting up with ... very much 'minds alike' ... image

On a different topic ... I am SOOOOOOOO excited ... I have booked a theatre ticket for next years performance of Evita at the corn Exchange ... I love that show and I have a fantastic ticket on the front of the balcony right in the middle seat .. it's the very best seat in the house as far as seeing the stage goes ... no one in front .. and elevated so you see all the stage .. I've booked a matinee performance which is roughly half the cost of the evening shows .... AND I even got that at a further half price concession for disabled folks ..... so instead of paying the full £32.50 ... I have spent just £10 ... leaving me with enough left over to pay for taxi's ... just one problem .. I have to wait until May 6th image

• Oh YIPPEEEEEE!!!! Patootie, it sounds like such a lot of good things are happening for you just now---just brilliant!

Your account of your new---role? responsibility? is very tantalising, though! What have you actually signed up to do, and for whom? You are going to attend a lot of training---are your reviewing the trainers, or acquiring new skills yourself, or what??? Come on, we want to know every disgusting little detail! (Although ANYTHING that comes with copious quantities of good food attached is definitely worth doing image)

And a trip to the theatre is always great. I usually feel it's going to be too much trouble while I'm getting ready, but afterwards IO realise how much mentral refreshment it gives. And to be able to have a great seat for Evita for 10 quid is very nice indeed!

Choir Christmas party after rehearsal tonight so I didn't get home til nearly midnight (we're an hour ahead of you over here) and now I'm falling asleep so happy dreams, more tomorrow!

• GC said ... "Your account of your new---role? responsibility? is very tantalising, though! What have you actually signed up to do, and for whom?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To be honest I am not quite sure of all the things I can do yet  .. basically it is all to do with the housing association that owns the property where I live ... it all started when I was asked to join what they call their "customer panel" .. it's group of residents that get together with the housing association and help to make good things happen at the various housing complexes ... image

First of all ... I need to make sure I am not doing anything I shouldn't because of my benefit situation ... I think I'm ok .. it's NOT a job, I am NOT paid and I can do as little as I please .. but to participate properly I would need to attend some more training courses .. and that may be a problem .. the housing people have loads of courses I can do .. but I am 'not allowed to improve myself' .. according to my benefit situation.

But I know the right man to ask about this and will contact him over the weekend ... I certainly want to be involved .. but don't want it to completely take over my life .. hehehe .. I just can't eat that many scrummy sandwiches image

The things suggested so far are inspecting properties people are moving out from, inspecting work done by contractors, sitting in on interviews with new scheme managers or other staff and that kind of thing ... probably just for the three sheltered housing schemes as that's the kind of complex I already live in .. so obviously it's not going to be a regular thing .. but it's all the 'learning how to do it properly' that will take the most time up and keeping up to date with new rules ... image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I know I get half price concessions for the shows I will be looking for more of them ... if I book up well in advance I can be sure of getting a good seat with uninterrupted views ... I just hope I can manage all the steps down to the front of the balcony and sit still long enough to see the show ... image

• Wow, Patootie, that sounds really great! And VERY sensible of the organisers to have a real-live resident look at this stuff. So often selection and inspection is left to people who won't be personally affected by the result----and that DOES affect the way you look at things!

I can't believe that ANY benefits system would prevent you from learning how to do things so that you could assist a charity. That would be truly crackers. Do let us know what your knowledgeable buddy says about this, because this one would be worth fighting. The whole POINT of benefits should be to help people do all they can do---to build them up, not infantilise them! And especially from someone who is as intelligent, energetic and talented as you are, it would be gravely wrong if you couldn't use your gifts to help other people.

As to the theatre, I'm just green with envy. Go and see as many shows as you can---and then come tell us about them!!! And you know, if it should turn out that you can't manage all the stairs, the theatre itself should be able to help you find a way around that. Again, they would probably be willing to think creatively if necessary, because everyone likes to deal with someone who is so enthusiastic and interested!

It's CO-HO-HOLD here! Has barely gone above 0 C here all day, and as it's been cold for a couple of weeks, the cold has sunk right into the ground, and the walls and everything. We're lucky, we have good central heating and tonight we'll have an open fire, but I'm going to bed with two hot water bottles and a thick fleece jumper over my nightie!  I hope it's a bit milder with you, if only cos I think the cold sets the fibro off, doesn't it?

And by the way, is your new house completely fixed up now? All cupboards in, all kitchen appliances applied etc? Now that the bedroom cupboards are in, I think you're really settled in, aren't you??

• Phew .. what a lot to reply to .. so in order ....

Benefits .... you have to remember I am actually 'off sick' from work (and have been for over 15 years) .. so realistically if I can go and do training, learn new things and attend meetings ... from the Benefits Agencies point of view I really should be applying all that energy to finding a job .... the difference is ... with the courses I might go on they will almost certainly be weeks apart .. one day at a time affairs .. and I don't have to get myself to the venue .. with getting a job .. I MUST attend daily, week after week and get myself there and back too .. everyone understands all that except the Benefits Agency .. so I may need to make sure I can do it before I get started ... image

Theatre .. the venue does have much easier accessible seats ... it's just they are not in the best positions to see the shows as I would like to ... I have chosen seats where I will need to 'do the slope/steps' .. but as per usual with 'more difficult places' I will get there extra early ... ask for a bit of help to get to my seat before others come in ... and will wait patiently until the 'rush' is over before leaving .. fingers crossed I don't get an attack of vertigo walking down the slope/steps to my seat .. image

Cold ... I'm having one of my 'phew it's hot' days .. it was about 9C outside around midday here ... but I think it may be colder tonight  ... and of course my flat is so nice and cosy and warm ... it's always a very pleasant 20-22C day and night .. last winter I really struggled to keep my old home to 15-16C during the day and 8-10C at night .. image

New home .. yes .. I am really getting sorted now ... been unpacking and repacking for weeks and weeks now and then ... but finally getting the things I want in the right places .. a 6ft Christmas tree sits  resplendent in the window bay ...looks great .. baubles, gold and silver bows, 100 tiny lights twinkling reflectively in the rain splattered window ... and it's a very special tree ... built as a spiral it comes ready decorated and all I have to do is lift the middle bit on to the top of the central rod ... and that's it .. a perfectly deorated tree in seconds ... image

The new 5 deep chest of drawers arrived Thursday (matches all the bedroom furniture I had a few weeks ago)  .. so I now have loads and loads of space for storing clothes etc  .. 6ft hanging space ... 6ft deep top boxes .. 6 ft of shoe/handbag storage space ... 8 deep drawers in 2 sets of drawers .. image

In a few weeks they will start to fit the new kitchens here ... and once I get more cupboard space I shall be able to get all my kitchen gadgets stored away better ... then I just need to get the bath taken out and a shower cubicle in .... and that will be the last space that really needs some work doing to it to make it all as I want ... I am soooooo very lucky ... I never expected to have such a lovely home all fitted out to make my life easier ... just got to make the most of it now ... image

• Sorry, Toots, I didn't mean to give you the third degree! You never need to answer my impertinent questions anyway, you know image

I didn't realise the Benefits people would look at training in that light. As you said, it's one thing to go out to a course for one day, when you have the rest of teh week to recvoer if you need to, but that's entirely different from having to go to work day after day. I hope they have THAT much common sense, because it sounds like some of the training would really interest you, and I'm jolly sure that you would be spectacularly good as a supervisor/assessor/residents' representative.

And you obviously have the theatre sussed out completely, so now we can just sit comfortably and wait for a nice series of theatre reviews!

How brilliant that the new place has such good heating! You must have got used to being permanently too cold, Patootie; and even without knowing much about fibro, I'm going to guess that cold does n't make it feel better. A nice steady comfortable temperature sounds LOADS better!

LOVED your Christmas tree! I've never heard of such a thing, but clearly it provides maximum seasonal cheer with minimal mess and awkwardness. Only you would find something like that!

And your home just gets better and better, by the sound of it. All that stoarge space!! <reminds self that we are commanded not to covet our neighbour's house, nor his wife, nor his ass, nor his drawers...> But a new kitchen??? That you get to choose for yourself? How fabulous is that?!? Go on, tell us all about it. What are you going to have done? And what are you going to have put in???

• BB ✭✭✭

helloimage not "seen" you for a while - glad to hear you're feeling better and about your new home - it sounds wonderful!

I am still not running - I have been lazy about stretching and exercises the last couple of weeks as my leg didn't seem to be getting better, however, moping won't change anything so I need to give myself a kick up the behind and take steps to sort it out then I can have a fresh start in the New year and build up my distance again. As I suspected I would I missed the Hastings marathon yesterday, but I was able to give my place to a runner who had missed out on the Luton marathon when that was cancelled a couple of weeks ago, so that made me feel better - I even got to wave at him and cheer him on as I was supporting Mr B. He is really a cyclist, but can run well too and he did it in 3.49 - pretty good for a first road marathon - he is suffering today though - very sore legs!image

I am really looking forward to a break over Christmas - counting down the days nowimage

• AWww, B, sounds like you've been in the wars a bit. Forgive me for not remembering, but what's with your leg??? If it's really not getting better, then DO see someone. I was off the road for more than 6 months last year before I went to the podoloog (I think it's called a podiatrist in English? the chap that makes orthotics?). He did some tests, knew just what was wrong, made me orthotics, said it would sort in about a month and I would need 3 months to build up again, and he was right on all counts. Don't let it drag on!!

How nice that you could give your place to someone who deserved it and made good use of it---and that you were even there to cheer him on! That's a really lovely Christmassy story from where I sit.

• image someone has given me an early 'Christmas present' .. got a raging viral infection .. can't stop coughing, fever, sore throat, sore chest from all the coughing ,,, thank goodness viral infections usually only last 48 hours or so ... 24 hours more to go .. image
  • ((((((((((((((PATOOTIE)))))))))))))

So sorry to hear you've got the lurgy---I think it must be spread through the RW cyberspace, cos lots of my forum friends are down with it!

But as you said, it's usually short as well as sharp, and hopefully by this time tomorrow you will have the worst behind you.

So don't be a hero, just settle in with lots of warm drinks and hot bottles and vitamin C and be very, very kind to yourself, OK?

Really hope you will be able to sleep tonight and will find that tomorrow you're back on the way up!!!

xxxx

• Got through the night .. just .. think I was a bit delirious for a while . . I'm sure I remember sitting on the end of my bed and chatting to Ian Botham ... image

Ribs really sore with all the coughing .. head feels too big .. and I generally feel spaced out .. weak .. really weak ... BUT .. tomorrow is another day .. and by then I shall be much better ... image

• The nasty raging effects of the 'virus' seems over .. but I have the worst sore throat I think I have ever had .. damn near choked on my medication this morning .. just couldn't get the pills down without breaking them up ... and I am weak ... weak as a newborn kitten .. just getting out of my chair is a real struggle .. been sat slumped with my feet up all morning .. and that's exhausted me so much I may well have to go back to bed in a few minutes image

Ohhh ... and I've lot my voice ... phone rang a few minutes ago and when I went to answer . nothing much came out ... just some weird squeaky noises hahahah

• Oh Patootie, that's not good! If you don't feel better by tomorrow morning, hadn't you better contact someone? At least the warden or supervisor or whatever? If you're this weak you may need some help.

A really severe sore throat is horribly painful. I had never had one til about 3 years ago, when I sat in the kitchen most of the night drinking scalding hot tea. I can't imagine how tough it must be trying to take pills with that! If it's not getting better by tomorrow, perhaps you should at least consider seeing a doctor, if only to be sure that it IS viral and not bacterial?

I wish I could rush right over and make you a nice hot pot of tea and something soft but nutritious like some porridge, and fill a hot water bottle for you! I really do hope you find that in the morning you've turned the corner, but if not, do call someone, OK

xxxx

• Awwww Chuggle Bells you are kind .. pot of coffee and a malted bikkie would be lovely ... giggles and incidentally reading your new name set me off laughing and into a good old coughing fit from which I now feel much better as I've had a good 'clear out' all round ... which has done me the power of good ... breathing easier, sinuses cleared, eyes well flushed out, etc etc

Please trust me when I say this is a virus .. with over 50 years experience of the various infections you get to know what to watch out for ... I have a pump thing to measure lung capacity and even with the worst of the coughing times that has stayed well within my 'safe' levels .. yes my temperature has been higher than usual  (always keep a thermometer handy) but it hasn't been 'raging' ... and all the coughing action has come from the throat level not the chest level ... image

One thing I don't do is take any risk with my health (I hope) ... but I do appreciate your concerns ... I've been doing all my breathing exercises day and night (a series of extra deep breaths, holding and blowing out techniques to make sure all the air gets changed in the lungs and that bronchial fluids get a good churning round) ... and that helps to prevent a viral bug having the chance to change to an infection in the lungs .. I've topped up regularly with fluids .. and made sure I get enough rest ...

'Pamper' a virus .. 'attack' an infection has always been my motto .. image

My throat is heaps better ... all the really nasty dark red bruised look has gone this morning .. it's still a bit swollen ... but a natural colour which is very good .. my temperature is down .. and I actually feel a bit hungry this morning ... first time for 3 days .. I've been forcing soups down myself .. but I am about to go and make some toast ... lovely dry crisp crunchy toast ... excellent for scraping off the last of the virus ... and sending it out my body through err . well .. natural processes image

Right .. it's coffee and toast time ... image

• Hi all, 

My everyone is getting very festive image I had to stop myself buying a snuggly red fleece dressing gown with a snowflake lining and matching slippers in M&S yesterday, although I may still succumb before the Big Day - someone talk me out of it please! 

Hope the toast did the trick Toots. Just about everyone I know has been or is ill, my OH my Dad, a couple of friends I was meant to be meeting at a Christmas concert on Tuesday -  anyway the good news is this: if you're poorly now, the likliehood is that you will have recovered in time for Chistmas!

I am just trying to keep the running ticking over at the moment although I did do 6 miles last weekend. I find over Christmas that trying to counteract all the eating and drinking of stuff that just doesn't  fuel running by going out and actually running just makes you feel awful - so best to do at least one in moderation - guess which one? image

• Heaps better this evening .. thank goodness ... the toast has done it's usual trick on my throat ... all signs of redness have gone ... those nasty bugs scraped right off .. only downside is they have to go through you .. literally ... if you see what I mean ... image
  • Oh, GOOD NEWS, Toots! Clearly you are a lot more expert than most doctors would be, and have done all the right things. When you can eat toast again it means you really are on the way up. I'm so glad! It's total grimbo to have to face Christmas feeling carp. And as Screamy says, there is so much lurgy going around this year, it may almost be a blessing in disguise to have it out of the way!

And by the way, Screamy, hats off to you for that 6 miles! I find this a very hard time of year to keep going. I was planning to run last (mine are usually only about 2-3 miles, but better than nothing) but it was a very heavy weekend at church, with Lessons & Carols (I'm a choir singer) and all the kids home, so no time. Then it was going to be early in the week. But it was really cold, -3 C during the day, and I just don't enjoy it. Then I should have gone today, but the last 2 days I've not been to bed before 2 am cos of driving kids to Christmas parties, so now I'm whacked. Sigh. Maybe tomorrow---cos in the middle of the week it's going to get cold again. Oh well.

Patootie, what are you doing for Christmas? Is there some kind of celebration in your house? Whenever you do celebrate, as you raise your festive glass, stop for just a minute and drink to YOURSELF, OK? Do you remember starting this thread just a year ago? And LOOK at what you've done in that time! A whole new world----new house, new activities, oh and you've got US of course now too image)) You've moved mountains this year, and you should feel SO proud of yourself, cos you've done it all!!!!!!

• Erm, by the way, I am not in a witness protection programme, RW is just taking its time about loading my Christmas picture!
  • BOTHERATION !!!!!!

3am ... I was absolutely fine ... yeharrr I thought ... shook off that nasty virus ,,, gave my sis a quick 'Happy Birthday' phone call ... (we always seem to be ringing at odd times due to the time difference between England and Australia) ... went back to bed .... image

Woke up at 8am ..... image ... blasted virus had changed into a chest infection in just those few hours ... so I swung into action ... checked all my vitals .... not good ... spent from 9.30am -12.15pm in a PACKED doctors emergency surgery .. got seen .... came out with a shopping list of medication ... steroids, antibiotics and yet  more inhalers .. image .. but the doc did compliment me on doing all I could to have kept the virus changing into an infection and that I had done the right thing seeking urgent medical help image

Got to the chemist ... only to realise my prepayment prescription card had run out 2 days before image ... a total of EIGHT meds .... £56.80 .. YIKES !!  Fortunately I will get that back once my new card comes through (costs £100 but means no more 'scrip payments for a year!) ... image

So I am dosed up with numerous meds .. staying in the warm ... and I think it's time for another cup of coffee .. I've got various meds to take every 3 hours ... ohh well ... at least it's not any worse ... image

• I feel absolutely fine this morning ... so the steroids and anti-biotics seem to be doing their job thank goodness image

Had a strange nights sleep mind you ... or rather lack of sleep as I was sooooooo hyper with the mega dose steroids .. I just couldn't lay down and relax ... my mind was simply buzzing .. and I got dozens of paperwork tasks sorted out .. redid all my filing and sorted out all the 'old' papers for shredding ... then got started on sorting my clothes into summer/winter sections in my wardrobes ... all my handbags put back into their old pillowcase covers ... and even sorted out a nice 'hospital basics' kit should I ever need to be whisked away quickly ... image

Finally slumped down on the bed around 7.30am ... and slept like the proverbial log until just before 10am ... image

Just drinking a cup of coffee then I am going to pop up to the local Tesco Express and get some eggs, cheese, a little bit of meat and some fresh fruit ... after a full week of just the odd cup-a-soup and a tin or two of mandarins my body is crying out for some protein and fresh fruit .. sun is shining ... I feel soooooo much better .. and all is going well in my world this morning .. image

Edit: Oh .. and before you tell me off .. I will be resting for the rest of the day once I've been out .. mustn't overdo it however good I feel ... still got to be sensible ... image
  • Patootie, you are AMAZING!!! When I read your first post above from yesterday, my heart sank. You are not the panicky type, and if you felt you needed to go to an emergency surgery, I was feeling quite anxious. Although good to hear that the doctor complimented you on the way you were managing.

Then I read about your night, and I HAD to laugh! Only you, Toots, could make a chest infection an opportunity for doing all your paperwork, sorting your wardrobe etc! I've heard about people who make the best of situations, but you seem to THRIVE on them! I think that's just fantastic. I would have been laid there in been snivelling and feeling sorry for myself, while you got your whole world put to rights!

And how good to see the virtue is its own reward andyou are starting to feel better! Great that you feel well enough to get to Tesco---and after the week you've had, I just bet some proper food will taste good!

I know you will be sensible (if for no other reason than that you know what will happen if you don't image( but you clearly did just right to get the meds when you did, and hopefully you really now are over the worst.

Will you be able to get together with friends or fellow-residents over Christmas?

• Not amazing ... more ... stark raving bonkers ...honestly steroids for me are like 'speed' to other people ... I can almost feel my cells bursting open in a chain of micromini explosions ... steroids really 'mess me up' .. but they are the very BEST thing to stop a budding infection in it's tracks .. image

And what else do you do with a ton of nervous energy you weren't expecting ... middle of the night so you can't go racing around with the vacuum cleaner waking everyone up ... so you do all the jobs you'd been putting off because you didn't feel up to it before ... !

I bought simple things like cheese and eggs ... some nice fresh Satsumas .. Cornish wafers to have with the cheese .. and a pack of cumberland sausages for some reason image .. not sure what my thinking was behind buying them ... as I'm not really a sausage fan .. but obviously my body must think there is something in them that it's short of ... image .. and a BIG bottle of fiery ginger beer ... really good for sorting out the stomach ... and with all the meds mingling around every few hours gotta keep my stomach well hydrated .. image

My Christmas's have been very quiet for many years ... it's one of the few disadvantages of being a singleton .. you don't really fit in with other peoples Christmas plans .. but then I am quite happy spending Christmas on my own .. I can eat what I want, when I want, have full charge of the remote control .. and generally speaking never get let down with hideous Christmas gifts you instantly hate as you don't get presents in the first place .. but of course you don't need to buy them either image 

Not sure what's happening here at Christmas but I dare say I won't be the only one spending Christmas on their own ... just got to avoid the 'sherry anyone' crowd image

• Hmmmm....never had steroids, but the effect sounds rather alarming, rather like an electrical charge going through your body. But you are obviously very experienced with this, and if they work well to stop the infection, then they're probably just the right stuff. I hope the meds don't have a lot of unpleasant side effects, though? You talked about getting dehydrated...

And even if I were supercharged (via steroids or anything else)  I still doubt if I would be 'together' enough to use the energy as sensibly as you did!!!!

Your trip to Tesco's sounds like a success, though. All good stuff! And even with things like sausages, if your body looks at them and says 'yum' then probably you DO need something that's in them. So enjoy image))) I reckon that when you've been poorly, you should indulge yourself with whatever sounds good to you, and if you want to live on cumberland sausages, ginger beer and satsumas for a few days, go for it!

I'm glad you have a way of enjoying Christmas that suits you. For many many yhears we've been the ones who made Christmas for everyone, but now that we have no parents living, it seems a bit quiet with just the 5 of us so we usually have at least one or two friends join us. The whole thing is very traditional here, starting with the crib service on Christmas Eve afternoon, which we all love even though the kids are far too old to be sheep any longer! We have a traditional supper of a big puffy oven pancake filled with hot spiced apples, with a table nicely set with candles and all that, after which we watch Home Alone 47 and Murder on the Nile (which are ALWAYS on) until it's time for C1 and me to go sing for midnight mass. Christmas Day we always have the same breakfast---sliced oranges, followed by toasted pannetone---then we spend a long time opening presents cos everyone has to watch as each one is opened so we can all see everything. Then a traditional lunch (with vegetarian option as two of us are veggies), both Queens (Beatrix and Liz), sometimes a little waddle, and an evening spent just oozing around like overripe cheeses.....

So I can see the appeal of being totally free to do what you like, AND to have full possession of the remote!!!!

Are you starting to feel better yet, Toots? You seem to be on a lot of meds, are they actually helping now?  

• Well blow me down with a feather ... just had my shopping delivered from ASDA .. and guess who brought it for me ... yup .. SANTA ... image

The drivers name is Brian .. he's worked for ASDA, Peterborough for quite a while .. and he really is one of those rare 'caring, sharing, generous' human beings .. always makes sure he puts heavy bags where I can get to them ... makes sure I know just where the frozen goods are so I can get them put straight away ... unpacks those really heavy shrink wrapped multi packs of sparkling water for me and splits the plastic so I don't have to struggle to get them open .. and does it all with a lovely cheery word and an infectious smile .. image

So today when the ASDA delivery van pulled up and I saw Santa sat inside I just knew it had to be Brian ... he came up the corridor wheeling my groceries and singing "Jingle Bells" ... what a lovely man .. image
  • Awww, Toots, what a lovely thing to have happen! It really makes you realise, doesn't it, what a big effect people have on others. Someone like Brian, who is thoughtful, kind and cheerful makes everyone feel better. And you know, when we get to heaven he's going to be at the head of the queue.

How are you feeling? It sounds as if the worst might be receding into the distance now, which is great. It's always nicer to feel well at Christmas, even if you spend it quite quietly.

Pandemonium here, with all the kids home. Went shopping with C1 (lots of sales on already!), and this evening we all went out for a drink to celebrate C3 getting 2 more offers of university places. Most of all we just enjoy mooching around together. The repartee can be a bit groan-making, but it's so nice when everyone is home.

Time for me to get back to wrapping---lots of tiny things, mostly, but they ALL must be wrapped. It's traditional!!!

• A very traditional Christmas here, with midnight mass (C1 and I sang in the choir), stockings, traditional breakfast, prezzies (less money but lots more imagination than in some past years!), Christmas lunch with all the bits (+ veggie option for C1 and me), happy time with a friend who came for the day, listened to both queens' broadcasts (Beatrix and Elizabeth), watched Willy Wonka, now subsiding into a gentle sort of Christmas jelly image))

I hope you're having a happy Christmas in your new home, Patootie, and that you're indulging yourself a bit and feeling well enough to really enjoy that!