So so cold!

Comments

• I'm in frozz'n north too, DG. Not much you can do except get off road 'til it warms up. In June. image 

Had a near miss the other day doing a there and back same route - road fine on the way out, but on the way back the other side was very skitey.

Plodding On - 15 deg would seem like summer! It was a raw -2 on Friday.

• Siance - ouch!  When I was young(er), anything below 10 degrees and our school's shut!  My mother is now complaining about it being freezing at a rather chilly 20 degrees...

No wonder my running has taken a slight knock since moving over here... 

• I'm up north too!

I wore my gloves for the whole of my run. I really think I can't run in winter with out them. My body is warm but my hands are so cold!

Running gloves would be a good pressie! 

• whats the advantage of running gloves over bog standard gloves?
  • Plodding on - I love this weather !!

I'll take this any day over that horrid humid wet and windy crap!!

good for racing too - wind = no PB image

• plodtv wrote (see)
    whats the advantage of running gloves over bog standard gloves?
    The main advantage I find is that they are windproof which prevents my hands getting chilled but still allow my palms to 'breathe'
  • Simon - I like the cold; I am just no used to it!!  But since the 10kgs I put on (and have lost) since coming over here annouced my laziness to the world, I have since taught myself to brave the cold!

plodtv - I could be wrong, but the material used in running gloves will wick away the moisture, and dries quicker.  It also regulates your temperature.  I know wool is a quick drying fabric, but it also keeps your hands warmer but also isn't great at retaining the heat.  Cotton can shrink and isn't fast drying or breathable.  I used to run in wool gloves and found I got really warm quite quickly, but if I ran in the rain, they got really wet and cold.  Running gloves can be kept on for the whole run, whether it rains or not or whether you sweat like a horse or "glow"  image

• Simon - what horrid, wet windy crap??  Where have you been for the last 3 weeks?
  • Running gloves for me for christmas i think!  Otherwise mine will start to get smelly.  

Not in to the rain because I wear glasses and I can't see!

I glow like a horse.

• If it's below 10, swap your vest for a t-shirt, if it's below 5, add a long sleeved top, if it's below -5 swap your shorts for leggings, simple. Thats how i survive the winter.
  • Runing gloves,

Decathlon sell simple silk thin things for about £3.50, awesome.

Running in the cold, there is less pollution? Less pedestrians, dogs, most people tend to start their marathon preperations in January, so al lthe runs you do now,will give you a head start!

If you get cold, run quicker, intervals. Came back from Gran Canaria on Saturday ,  warm 21-24 degrees all week, man its cold! Be strong & feel the force. Enter a few races for next year and get motivated!

• Plodding on - well i'm sure it was wet and windy a couple of weeks ago!!

I do like this weather though - went for a quick 5 miles along the Thames yesterday - came back feeling ahen..'alive' image

• Blonde - you keep giving excuses not to run - and I will keep batting them away!  I also wear glasses, but swap them nightly for contacts so that I can go running....  You want to give another bad excuse??  image

Simon - yeh, I don't mind this weather either.  Got home last night all bundled up and thought the LAST thing I wanted to do was get out!!  But, I braved it (very proud of self as have been out for a week with flu) and beat the cold.  What the heck am I going to do in Jan / Feb when it's really cold???

Wet and windy got me ill a couple weeks ago...   image

• Plodding - Hay hay, I'm being good. I've planned three runs (done one already) this week and a few 'little' runs with the dog, she's very little so can't go far! Very proud of you for geting out last night !

I've not been running long enough to wear shorts. I'm still getting used to my leggings, their almost rude but they are a really good bit of kit!

• "their almost rude"

Your legging's swear at people????  image

Good on you - get fit with the puppy.  Best way to go.  I occasionally run with my brothers dog, and while it was easy as initially, now that the thing has grown and eats more and bounces everywhere, running is a bit more of a challenge!

• Something like that! image

I think the dog needs the runs as much as me. She a good puppy after a run.

• Yeah and so much easier to train.
  • Jack Russell, looking after it for the in laws.
  • I love running in the cold! Far better than when it's hot IMO.

Just shorts, long sleeve base layer thingy and a T-shirt is all l've needed so far.  Originally went out a few weeks back with a beenie and a pair of gloves, which then left me running with massive bulging pockets ...looked like I was wearing those trousers that Fox hunters wear, the ones that look like they've stuck an upside down rabit down each leg...image

Plus it make my cold house feel comparativly hot when I get back...this does wear off though  image

• Best thing to do, plod, is not think about it.

Get changed and get out there before you have time to think! I don't like thinking at the best of times..

• Gavalon - having watched Pride and Prejudice a mulitude of times, those old bulging pocketed fox hunting horse riding trousers tend to leave....um....A LOT to the imagination!  But I agree - the worst is having an entirely seperate set of clothes in your clothes.  image

Simon - yeh, its that long walk home from work that throws me.  It's always SOOO cold walking home but yeh, I generally get out before I question my sanity.  Then I warm up pretty quickly!

Blonde - those are our dogs!!  My brother has a little jackie, and we bred them back in good old "develop some proper cold winters" South Africa!

• Apart from slight asthma effect in the cold, I actually like winter running.

But my problem is not with cold hands or upper body (running gloves are just fine, and I have sufficient winter layers as far as tops go), but with the fact that my pear-shaped figure means that my relatively larger - don't get me wrong I'm not overweight - bum and thighs never quite get warm.  Went running on Sunday and despite proper warm-up and the fact that every other part of me heated up nicely, these areas never got close to warm.  Got home to find the skin on these, ahem, 'padded' bits was slightly numb, and bright burning red.  They are slightly wobbly though - if I were to *ever* tone these bits up properly would I get less of this effect?

I wear full-length running tights - am I going to have to resort to shorts over the top of these?

(Blimey  something's gone wrong with the text in this posting box - apologies if this missive appears badly punctuated/spaced!)

• I've never had the numb bum thing.  Does doing big hills help un-numb it? I think your going to have to go for the shorts over the top.

Plodding - They are lovely little dogs.

• Numb Bum!!!!!  Its the latest running trend!!  TRY IT!!

What about scooting around the lounge floor on your bum before the run?  Anyway, Lady P you will lose the slight bum soon enough and look fabulous!  

• What do you mean scooting around the floor on your bum? ?

A slight bum is nice, my other half was very upset when I lost my bum when I starting running. That sounds like a dropped it, well you know what I mean.

• You know, sit down with your legs in front of you and shuffle around on your bum.  If you do it with no clothes on I am pretty sure you will get carpet burn and that should keep the warmth there for a while!

Ahhhhh the joys of bum talk!

• Think Mr P would be rather disappointed if I lost too much of my ample bum.  It's one of his favourite features of mine.  But certainly a little less wobble wouldn't go amiss.

It's official - Numb Bum Syndrome (NBS) is a new running ailment!

Bum shuffle - that's what some babies before walking instead of crawling isn't it?  Or possibly a new dance craze?

Guess it's shorts over tights then for extreme circumstances (I already look incredibly sexy with my red face and sweatiness even in very cold temperatures, so why not add to the effect?).  Last Sunday was the first time it was cold enough for aforementioned NBS to set in - might just have to check the temporature before pulling on my kit! 

• Isn't the 'bum shuffle' something that dogs do when they have issues with their glands image