Steady is seriously ill

Comments

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning again.

Jim, how are the invalids?

Have just taken all the bandages off my foot image It feels very vulnerable now but it will be lovely to have a proper shower!

• Morning June,

It's Tuesday which means 'Fracture Clinic day'. Older boy is expected to have the pot removed & younger boy to learn how well his clavicle is mending. Thanks for asking Slugsta.

Great celebrations for Linda's birthday last Saturday. A total of 50 family & friends present which was a nice round number image. The rain poured heavily all morning but stopped for the afternoon. We had various teas & coffee with cakes, scones & clotted cream & various sandwiches made for a pleasant table. I was charged with the task of ensuring those who wanted wine, beer or lager were well serviced. As with all such occasions it was the company that really made the day though.

Looking forward to seeing you again at the East Mids social on the 20th.

No word from Chugger for a while. Do we know whether all is well?

"Best Wishes" to Slugsta with the foot. I hope you find bliss with the showerimage.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Jim, Chuggy posts regularly on the 'WAISTer' thread. She's fine although busy-busy as usual. I'll tell her you were asking about her.
  • Forgot to say June has picked an excellent choice for her leaving drinks from work, the food at the Vic in Beeston is just lovely.  As I'm always driving I can't vouch for the beer, although it's only a hop, skip and a jump to the nearest train station.  image
  • Ooops---sorry to have been awol, Jim, but I think it's lovely of you to have noticed! As Sluggie said, I'm fine, things are just in their usual state of roaring chaos at the moment...

How did the Fracture Clinic go? It was such a relief that the arm didn't have to be fiddled with! But I hope the clavicle is mending. I've always heard that's a rough one to break because there is no way you can really immobilise it, so it'll be good when that's mended.

And Linda's BD party sounds fab! Scones, wine, cream, lots of family and friends, what more could anyone want?

KJ, very well done for racing in that weather! We had it here a day or two later (which is typical) and it was SO SO SO wet! We just did the necessary to take Rossie out and left it at that. (She didn't want to go out for any more than the essentials either, in that downpour!) So BIG respect for racing.

Diana, good for you! 10 miles is quite a long way even if it wasn't tipping down, so give yourself a gold star!

June, I think you were quite right to give that one a miss. And with everything you're juggling just now, it prolly made sense in time terms, too. So you leave current job on the 19th----do you straight over to the new job? Or will you have some time in between? And is the new job entirely or mainly the 'murdering' that you trained for last year and have so enjoyed? And I'm gather that despite your recent flirtation with the estate agent, you don't HAVE to move house for the new job, is that right? (Please excuse the nosey questions, you needn't answer any you don't want to, but the rest of you have the advantage of being in vaguely the same area---at least that's my impression---so you can imagine better than I what changes June is going to encounter.)

Not sure what we've been doing here that's so busy. C2 has finished exams and was home for a weekend; he'll be back for the summer in about a fortnight image))) C3 is in the midst of A2's. He's working very hard and steadily, and I think he'll be fine, but there is always an element of luck so we're all trying to be as supportive as we can. C1 is enjoying Moscow--I really admire her, she is taking every possible chance to see as much of Russian life as possible, whether travelling overnight in a 3rd class Russian train or going to the Bolshoi---but is still waiting anxiously to know if she is going to be offered a place in her law firm when her training contract ends in August. Again, she's done awfully well so I think she will, but in the current environment it's not just whether you did well, but whether they think there will be enough work in your area to justify taking someone on. And I've applied for a new internal job since mine is ending (part of a restructuring) and by mid-July I'll know whether I'm retiring early or not!!!

But we're all healthy and well, looking forwad to being together with the boys for the summer (won't see C1 this summer, alas, she wants to see as much as she can before coming back to London) and enjoying life. And I've been chugging more regularly than I have since last summer image) I've passed that psychological barrier (you know the one) and now find myself looking forward to going out. My performance is VERY humble, but my theory is 'every step is a good step' and even if I just do 2 miles, it's a lot better than doing nothing!

• Quite agree chuggie - plenty aren't getting out at all. Sounds as though all the chuglets are doing their best ti get where they want to be - can't ask more of them! There is a chance I could retire early too, as my company are in consultation to close the final salary pension (should have worked in the public sectir, the only place that still seems to have good pension provision!) No pay rise at all this year, so if they close the pension too, it hardly worth carrying on.

Glad the party went well, Jim, and hope all does well at the fracture clinic.

Sluggie hasn't reported back on her shower - maybe she's still in there!

Damp sort of a day down here, but I suppose the garden will like it. I have an inter-club race tonight, so hopefully it won't be too wet for that.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Sorry - I promise I didn't spend all day in the shower! I had managed a few showers over the past couple of weeks, so I wasn't that dirty, but it is nice not to worry about wrapping my foot up in plastic.

Hope that everything went well at # clinic for the Jimsons.

Diana, hope that things go as you want with your job.

• Morning June,

Well, yesterday's stormy weather was a big reminder why the Brits talk about the weather so often. There was localised flooding here abouts, plus funder n litening.  Road surfaces have been damaged leading to parts of some roads being closed off. Tis a bright morning but rain forecast for this afternoon. We've been keeping an eye on the forecast for Oxford for the weekend so that Linda & the girls can figure out what to wear for their meal on a boat on Friday evening.

Boy had the pot removed on Tuesday. He has a splint now to help him until normal strength resumes. Young un is mending nicely & returns to the clinic in a fortnight.

Welcome Back to Chugger image. That certainly was a loooong post. I do hope you get on well with the chugging.

• Oh Jim, glad the fracture clinic went well. But you had such heavy rain it damaged the road surface?? That must have been just amazing to see! (And apologies for the long post, sometimes I do ramble on horribly :-/)

Diana, it's really rather unsettling when jobs are going at the same time as they are finding that the pensions we've alll been paying into are not as well funded as we thought.... I hope things on your side straighten out and you can both go on working and find that they have got your person properly sorted.

C3 has finished German. Economics tomorrow. Dutch and politics next week. But he's very good and not stressing. In fact he said tonight that the worst possible outcome was that he didn't get his marks and took a gap year---but he can think of lots of things he'd like to do in a gap year, so there is no 'bad' outcome! Kid is a philosopher already!

I'm very chuffed cos a health check today showed that my bp, cholesterol and heart rate have all come down quite markedly in the last 3 months. I didn't like having those figures above the normal levels, so I've been running much more regularly, and it's worked! Amazing what this running stuff does for you!

• Evenin June,

Tis a late night visit from me, but I don't get to post on Friday mornings. I was expecting some rain this afternoon but none came, so I figured it must be coming in the evening but that  turned out glorious if occasionally a little cool with a breeze.

Lady is upstairs at the moment putting together the finishing (?) touches to the packing for tomorrow's visit to Oxford image. I hope she's cleared the various options laid out on my side of the bed when I go up there shortly image. I've got my 'taxi driver's list' of who wants taking where & when tomorrow. Theoretically the last pick up is at 11pm.

Chugger - "Best Wishes" for the Economics exam in the morning for C3. My lad has the same & is looking to study the subject at Uni. His final exam is next Wednesday morning.

Now it's time to say "Goodnight" from me.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning,

Jim, glad to hear that the # clinic visit went well. Hope that the weather holds for Linda this evening.

~~~C3 and Jimson~~~

• Hope it's a paper that suits them both, Chuggie and Jim.

Wishing for fine weather in the Oxford area (and here for the club run this evening).

• Oh Jim, I didn't realise you had an AS one too! What did he think of the Economics paper?  C3 was cautiously optimistic about it, tho nobody ever knows how they've actually done until the marks come through.

I hope all goes well for the expedition to Oxford---sounds like a great weekend in prospect!

Diana, what is your daughter doing these days? I know she was thinking about doing some work experience, did she decide to do that? I think it's VERY tough for kids starting a career right now: so many of them have done years of education, only to find that due to the financial crisis it's much harder to find a job, or even a training spot, than it used to be.

Nearly time to go pick C3 up from town where he's been relaxing with friends. Sleep tight, all.

• Chugger - a late night post from me! "Yeh, it was fine" was about as much of an evaluation as I've received image.

G'night.

• LFVLFV ✭✭✭

Phew - everyone seems as busy and preoccupied as I am. For those of you who have exams in the house (so to speak) the end is in sight!

Done masses of overtime this week and off to work again soon so a flying visit. I woke up very early (as i increasingly am doing) and it was a beautiful morning. However it has clouded over and gone very murky so I think it will rain.  

I am having a very peculiar week - I feel very "jumbled up" if that makes sense. One minute I am excited about starting the new job and the next I feel sad, lonely and worried. (And I misssed Eddy to talk to about it very acutely yesterday). Deep down I don't want to leave where I am but I know this current secondment won't last and it will be back to the day job (which I couldn't cope with now). I am striking out on my own again and although I have done alot of that this past 18 months, it is still very daunting (and tiring too). Plus I am leaving some very good colleagues behind.... still boats burned now. 

On the good side, my last working day is Tuesday, so I have Wednesday through to Sunday off and lots to do. Tomorrow I am taking a "goodbye" curry in to the team I have worked with on and off over the last year (eagerly anticipated, I am told) followed by a choir rehearsal at Nottingham's Royal Centre. I will be singing with the Halle Orchestra on Tuesday (a drivetime concert with a volunteer choir doing Zadok the Priest and an excerpt from the Carmina Burana!!!!) and there is a 2 hour rehearsal tomorrow afternoon for the concert on Tuesday 16th. Nervous as I haven't sung with a choir for 30 years.....

I am also going to see the Halle again on Thursday 18th so a musical week. Friday night is my leaving drinks and Saturday is Beanz B'day Bash at the Queens Head in Ockbrook (really looking forward to that).  Plus visits from/to friends next week and dentist/hairdresser/ etc...

so, I will be kept busy and there is the garden tooimage

Off to get ready for work now, and there is a very smart chaffinch on the bird feeder...........

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    June, lots of exciting things going on for you! I really envy your singing although I don't have enough of a voice to do anything myself. It's natural for you to have mixed feelings about the job - and to miss the fact that you can't talk it over with Eddie. This is the first major decision you've had to make on your own, I think, but you know  that it's the right one for you. xxx
  • Ooooh June, Zadok and Carmina----what a blast you'll have singing that! Good for you!

And good for you for takingt he next step. It's VERY hard to move away from what feels secure, especially when it's linked to Eddie, but as Sluggie says, you know it's the right step, and I'm sure Eddie is cheering you on. You've actually laid the groundwork for this step by step over the last year, with the training you've done, and the various secondments, so when you get there it won't be a huge leap at all, just another firm step in a direction you've already been going.

It's grand that you have some enjoyable music to help carry you over the line, though. There is NOTHING that makes you feel as positive and energised as singing!! And who knows, maybe you will find it's something you want o do more of in your new life!

And with the garden 'busting out all over' as the song says, you will find that things move forward all by themselves and you can sit back and enjoy the ride! xxxx

• June

I am a bit jealous of the singingimage

Enjoy!image

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning,

Hope everyone managed to enjoy the lovely weekend.

• Yes, had a great week-end thanks Slugsta. Ran early yesterday with the club (rather faster than was comfortable at first!) then later went out into the forest with OH, Daughter #1 and grandson for a picnic. Found a lovely quiet spot by a stream with some shade, and beautiful dragonflies darting around.

Chuggie, daughter #2 is currently still working in a forensic psychiatric unit for adolescents, which should be very good experience for something! She still hopes to get a post-graduate place on a doctoral programme, so I guess may be applying again in the Autumn. She has also just applied for an Assistant Psychiatrist post in a unit for eating disorders, but I imagine it will be very competitive. She can but try. Where she is now is not very well-paid, but at least she is being paid, and living back at home, she can even run a car, and save a bit.

June, I can quite see that you will be feeling unsettled. Even though you know that it is the right move, it must be hard to leave the security of being somewhere you know well with colleagues you know and like. Glad you have the musical and social events to distract you over the next week or so. Take care.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning,

Diana, sounds like a lovely day in the forest. MS is currently sufering from a painful knee, so we didn't get out at all image. The rest sems to have helped though, so it was worth it.

~~~((June))~~~ Hope that you enjoy your last day.

• Evenin June,

I hope this day has been good for you. There's much to look forward to in a positive anticipation for youthis week. I'm sure there will be delights a-plenty for you. I look forward to seeing you on Saturday at Beanz's Bash image.

Linda's weekend was fantastic. Oxford was blooming. Students were in graduation robes & gowns on the lawns. The hotel was splendid. The meal on the river was quite different from the usual evening out image.

Meanwhile on Saturday back at the ranch ... Jim's figuring out how to operate the 'machine of washing' & running a not-for-profit- taxi business image.

Today was a visit with students to Butlins at Skegness for a different cultural experience. A good time was had by all & a safe journey home.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Butlins at Skegness? I spent a day there once.......

Sounds as if Linda had a great weekend, Jim, and I'm glad to hear that the family made sure you had enough to occupy your time back at baseimage.

• Morning June,

it's a lovely sunny day here (int' north image). I trust the concert was to your liking & the curry to everyone else's liking. How was the choral experience? 30 years is a long time away isn't it.

Tomorrow night I'm having a 'blue moon' night out with the guys (supposedly every 2 months but we haven't met since February!). I've recruited a few more attendees on this occasion. In April I heard that someone I was at school with had a heart attack. I got in touch & while chatting he mentioned meeting up for a beer. Consequently I found the old phone book, dusted it down & rang a couple of fellas to see if they'd join us. Friday night-round-town isn't my usual calling but in the name of friendship I'm willing to give it a whirl image.

Then I'm looking forward to Saturday night & good food with the good company at the East Midlands social.

Uni man is now back at home. We could do with another fridge but there's no space for oneimage. The A2 exams are now finished. Just the results to wait for image.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Morning,

Don't you just hate waiting for exam results?! I think it's almost worse than the exams themselves. I should hear early next month about the COPD exam I did in February (and the assignement which was submitted in early April).

Jim, hope you have a really good evening - and that everyone enoys the soshall (especially the birthday girl).

Had a bit of a 'mare yesterday evening. I realised that the washing machine was busticated when the cycle had finished but the machine was still full of water. Not long after that MS phoned to say that he'd gone out for a bike ride but got a puncture. He was going to leave the bike in the care of a random stranger and walk home (I am still not able to drive after my op). He got home, fitted the bike rack to my car and set of to collect bike. A few minute later he returned cos the car was making grinding noises and there was a smell of burning - he thinks the front suspension might have collapsed! Finally fitted the rack to the taxi and got bike home.

So, today, my mission is to get the AA to look at the car (and prolly tow it to the garage) and MS will have to source a new (second hand) washing machine. Also need to fit in a trip to Tesco with SB - MS will need to drop us off at the store and then bring us home again as SB is not insured to drive my car (and the insurance company want £23 a week to do so). Oh well, onward and upward!

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday, Beanzie! imageimageimage
  • LFVLFV ✭✭✭

Oh dear Sluggie, they say troubles come in threesimage and you are definitely proving that..... hope you get the car sorted today.

Jim, looking forward to seeing you and Linda tonight. You seem to be having the sort of social whirl I have enjoyed this week.

Tuesday was amazing with 500 voices singing our hearts out with the Halle. The Carmina Burana opener raised the roof! Thursday was a "proper" concert again with the Halle, and the young Russian volinist in the Brahms was so talented..he played a superb and lyrical first movement but the mood was broken when just into the second movement, a mobile phone rang loudly. Instead of just disconnecting it, the bluddy woman proceeded to answer it while disrupting the row she was in and walking blithely out of the concert hall. Unbelievable! To everyone's credit the soloist,orchestra and audience ignored it and the mood was soon restored.

I went into my new work Wednesday morning to meet my new boss and colleagues. They are really keen on me startinfg and several of the team are new too, so there is a good mixture of new and old (in both senses!) and male and female. I already have an email account set up, and havebeen issued with my security pass. Plus, it's easy to get to from the M1. I think I will do another dry run tomorrow though, ready for Monday morning.

Went into my old place of work to clear out my locker and hand in keys etc. It seemed very strange to realise I am never likely to be back in a work capacity. And last night was quite low key drinks with the few people who weren't at work (several had had to work late and couldn't make it). Still it was all very pleasant and I got even more pressies and cards! I now have loads of Garden Vouchers - off to spend some of them shortlyimage

And tonight is Beanz Birthday Bash so I am really saving myself. Had a very light salad for lunch (with the first cucumbers of the season from my greenhouse) and hope I can hold out till 7 pm. And tomorrow Beanz and I are going to the QUAD in Derby for an early evening film - Last Chance Harvey with Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson.

Soooo - a very full week. And nothing planned for next week until I see how the job works out....

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    It's good to hear that you had such a nice week, June. Will be thinking of you on Monday!
  • Good luck for tomorrow June, hope you had a good evening at the cinema with Beanz, sorry I didn't make it.  Thank you for last night, sorry for wittering at you, xxx