Options

FLM Training: Wardi

Comments

• Options

Great news wardi

the enforced rest would have done you good!

• Options

Great news Wardi. I have had my biggest week of training. Started with a 2hr 57 min long run last Saturday, a 17.30 5km on Sunday (not good I know to do after a long run but it was our International Wmoen's Day race with 5,500 ladies and I could not miss it and I got 2nd place as well).Then 15km Monday, hills Tuesday ,18.5 km in 1hr 18 on Wed, long reps Thursday ,and about 17km today. Will do 5km XCountry Saturday and 1 last 3hr run Sunday . Think I'll drop it back to about 2hrs 40 next Sunday.

This is the time I usually tend to panic and get a little overcooked so I am trying to be sensible and tell myself I have put in the hard yards.

Hope everyone enjoys their next 4 weeks. Just remember, I will be done and dusted and having a cold beer by the time you guys start on 13 April. 

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Some heavy and impressive training there Glenda. Plus an excellent 5k time - 2nd out of 5,500 is not to be sniffed at too! Did you get a prize?

Still no twinges today so had an easy 5 miler tonight. No adverse reaction so still optimistic. I think I will do a bike commute tomorrow (20m) instead of a run.

Sunday long run.. I will take it as I find it. I think a 2 or 3 lap route would be wise so that I can bale out if any sign of the injury returns.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good news Wardi,

Good idea on the 2 or 3 lapper too - 3 sounds good.
  • Options

Wardi: I've used a 3 lap 21 mile route in previous years at this time of the programme. It's a great idea. Leave the energy drinks on the car bonnet and log the lap times by writing them on the dirty windscreen. Previously I've been trying to nail 3 consistent laps at marathon pace off 1 day's rest.

This year, I'm in survival mode. 

Beware the wind up phase. I may end up becoming silly. If you catch me bantering with Mick Curry, then you know that there's no hope. I'm off to The Kitchen for some wimmin.

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Good news there Wardi, laps seems to be a good idea, I use them a lot, but can bring downfalls if not metanlly prepared. Be strong and kick **** and enjoy it too.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    20 mile on the bike as planned today. I have a clubmate to run the 20 with tomorrow so plenty of encouragement, drinks are already in place.

I now have a phobia about this chuffing weather. Every time I have a Sunday race or long run scheduled the high winds descend right on cue. It looks like tomorrow will be no exception!

TR.. the two bike rides this week are the first I've done since I got knocked off it by a car back in December. Apart from a bit of lost skin & bruises it wasn't too serious, but it's funny how this sort of incident affects you. I started to feel a bit guilty about having two bikes together worth circa £2500 sitting around the house!
  • Options
    good luck in the 20 and the wind
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    In the end me & clubmate decided on one big loop so that we could get the wind out of the way in the first half. I just crossed my fingers and prayed for no adverse reaction from the old war wound.

The gamble paid off. I didn't push the pace too hard, 7:45-7:50 pace into the wind then 7:30-7:40 with the wind out of the way. 20 miles done in 2:34. Not so much as a twinge from my shin so I am a very happy bunny today. Very encouraging considering I couldn't run across the road on Tuesday {O:
  • Options

Hi Wardi, I'm pleased to hear that all is well. I had a few days rest also but managed 20 today as well. Hopefully back on track.

Are you planning a 1:28.30 - 1:29 halfway at London? I was thinking this would be a good idea to allow for a little slowing in second half. Any thoughts on raceday strategies? I know its 4 weeks away yet though.

• Options

Good news and good run Wardi

for most runners tackling sub 3 then 1:28:30-1:29 is about right - it's what I aimed for when I did the RW pacing and the downhill in first half must be worth 30 seconds. However it is possible if Wardi is feeling really strong (and there are no questions in his stamina) but hasn't the confidence of a fast half - say 1:25 that it may be better to reach halfway in 1:29:50 feeling fairly comfortable than run an all out 1:28 and just get slower.

At the moment its fun to speculate but, as with everyone, it will depend on what happens in the next month and could depend on conditions and weather too.

• Options

First and foremost, Wardi, great to hear you were just been a big girl about your shin (only joking).

Bath half today. All those who refused to pay the extortionate prices, adopt a smug face now!

Race delayed an hour due to some medical tent oversight, leaving runners milling around in a swamp a.k.a. ill prepared athletes village. The added rain led to a thoroughly miserable bunch of runners. 

I started in the middle of the field, as allowing 25 mins to travel 100m to the start was woefully inadequate. At least I got to see some choice fancy dress. The Blues Brothers were looking strong at mile 2.

Right enough moaning. The race itself went well, I came in 1hr 24min and 10 sec (watch time). With splits ranging from 7:02 to 6:03, I blaming to mile markers, however, my tactical pacing was shocking.

I reckon sub 3hrs seems a little more achievable after today. However, I need to be more disciplined and make sure I start from the sub 3hr pen. On a positive note; p.b. for 10km (sub 40) and I knocked 4 mins of my half p.b.

• Options
    Glad to hear the shin has cleared up. Keep an eye on it though...
  • Options

Phil: that was certainly a game of two halves. A good race from your perspective, but what a fiasco - an hour's delay? That's not going to impress the attendees.

Great news that you got a massive pb for the HM, and if the 10k was measured, then that too. Probably your 10 miler if you logged the split. You are certainly going to be one to watch in 2008. Do you have a real 10k to tackle in (say) May? I'd strongly recommend the Hogweed Trot 10k in Yate seeing as you are local.

Wardi: that 20 must have been a real confidence booster. Good time, and good company for pacing.

My week has been unfocussed. Or more realistically it has been focussed on protecting what I've got. A mere 40ish miles, with tonight's 9 miles at something like 7m/m. I find those sessions good fun because I tend to keep pace up the first hill (Kenyan stylee) and then get into the mood, speeding up from mile 6 as the grade eases.

Hands up if you are mentally prepared to put in half a dozen sub 7 minute miles once you've got 20 miles behind you?

• Options
    Got loads of prizes for my 5km..generous sponsorship by adidas. 3hrs under my belt yesterday after an 18.08 5km x country sat arvo. This Friday I have a10km race. I haven't raced 10km this year and it is usually my favourite distance...aiming for a sub 36min. One more long run left. (except that litle run on the 13th). Have a good week everyone.
  • Options

Wow Glenda.... is an Australian Km the same length as a British Km? You have clocked some fantastic times. You must be thinking about sub 2:50?

Wise training Blisters, what distance are you planning for your remaining long runs? Would love to do a post marathon 10km, however, I've got a little holiday in Iraq first.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good half-m result Phil, well done indeed. Do you know which start & pen you are likely to be in at FLM?

Good luck with the 10k Glenda.

I'm planning circa 23 miles this weekend and the 16 mile Kingston run the weekend after at MP or thereabouts.

Gavin.. my most satisfactory run was a negative split back in 2002 so I am likely to go for the 89.59 option at half way!

20 mile bike commute today, then got off the bike and ran 5 miles easy.
  • Options

I may well be doing the sub 7 pacing at Kingston Wardi.

As I have a big cross-country the day before and some of my early miles in recent weeks in slow runs have been nearer 10 than 7 was slightly concerned but yesterday managed  just inside sub 6s on hilly half-marathon at Hastings so should be ok.

• Options
    I believe our km's are the same as yours...what I struggle with is converting all the posts and the program from miles to km's...need my handy little calculator to decipher how far you guys are running.
  • Options

When I did 3:00.31 at London 2 years ago, I ran 1:31:00 first half and then 1:29.31 second half. It nearly worked for sub3. Negative split sounds good again but I worry about not having a little buffer by half way incase I have a bad mile so can afford to slip a little! We will see nearer the time.

Blisters. Read your post and my hand is staying strapped to my side. I am struggling to run sub 7 minute miles for the last 3rd of my 20mile+ long runs let alone run the whole 26.2 at 6.50 pace. I'm sure when we are all tapered and ready to go on 13 April it will be no problem!!

Can anyone advise please. Should 22miles this weekend be slow with only 3 weeks to go or should I be running some of it at MP?

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Many happy returns for today Steve. Welcome to the wrinklies age category and may you win many prizes within it.

am.. 4.1 miles easy

pm.. 7.3 miles with clubmates. Legs still just a touch weary from Sunday run so no heroics. Av. 7:30 pace with a couple of miles in 6:50, 6:47.

Gavin.. I think many would advise an easy start then do the middle 12-15 @ MP with a warm down in the last few miles.
  • Options

Gavin

I would suggest first 10 nice and easy and then try and hit marathon pace for 3-5 miles and then ease back for rest of run. I think too much at marathon pace would take too much out of you.

thanks wardi

I seemed to have slowed instantly.

• Options

Wardi - Not sure which pen i'm in for FLM, can you find out before collecting your number? (put an optomistic 2:55 as my predicted time)

Gavin - Planning a similar run to you this weekend. Like the sound of the Slow - MP - Slow approach suggested above. How would you compare your form this time around compared to your last attempt?

Right need to clock some miles up, only managed 1 x training session so far this week.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately not Phil. As a guide they tend to take a previous marathon time before a 'hoped for' time. If this is your debut I would guess that you will be in pen 1 as per our 2:55 prediction. You won't know for certain until you pick your number up - there will be a small numbered sticker on the bottom corner of your number.

Blisters.. what's this about you cancelling your family room at County Hall? Were you thinking of roughing it in a youth hostel? {O:
  • Options

Phil, I feel that I have trained much better this time round as I have followed the RW sub3 programme failrly closely. Last time I followed sub3.15 (may even have been 3.30) programme and missed quite a few runs.

I did however manage a 1:23 half leading up to the 3:00.31 at London in 2006. Did a half this year on same weekend and could only manage 1:26!! I had run a 1:28 half marathon  3 weeks before though so that could be why and did 22 miles the Sunday before.)

I am really feeling it though this week. Did 20miles on Sunday in 2:30, 5 easy Monday,  I only did 4 x 1mile at 6:10m/m yesterday (instead of 6x as sub3schedule). Did 8 miles easy (7:55 pace) today. I am really feeling achy now. Right calf feels sore when running but does not get any worse.

Overall I feel much better prepared this time than when I got 3:00.31 2 years ago, but I don't have the 1:23 half under my belt this time so am actually quite worried. I am praying that because I have been more consistant with my training (have done regular speed work, brisk runs, easy runs and have not missed any long runs) I am going to benefit greatly from the 3 week taper and be much stronger than 2 years ago. I also started training properlyat beginning of November this time round (did not a lot until December 2 years ago).

Steve and Wardi. Thank You for the advice RE 22 miler at weekend. I will do 10 @7:50, 4-5 @ 6:50 and then last 7 @ 7:50.  

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    A lovely night for a run so I did what I postponed last week due to injury precaution. Roughly one third daylight, one third fading light and one third darkness. A pleasamt run through the country lanes and villages on the way home from work.

16 miles steady at av 8mm pace. I like to do a couple of these midweek longer long runs in the build up, good endurance and confidence boosters.

Now I am sure that the shin is ok I will get back to some sharper stuff in the next few days.
  • Options

Did a solid mid weeker, 14 miles at 7.25 m/m. Legs felt pretty good, except on a steep hill session. I need to hit at least 45 miles this week, as I'm feeling guilty about my mini taper last week.

Gavin - Sounds like the training has gone really well. I reckon that will give you a mental edge as well as the obvious physical benifits on the day! I think I'll try the above 22 mile plan, however, I really struggle to run slower than 7.30 (not that I can run much faster).

Wardi- Thanks for the pen info. I have done one previous marathon- 3.28. It was a last minute, 2 week notice, fill in for a friend job. Training consisted of a 10 miler, day off, 20 miler, straight into taper. Knees took about 4 weeks to forgive me!

• Options

Wardi: you mis-read my post, I fear. I haven't cancelled my booking at County Hall. I've kept that. I've cancelled my booking at Southwark - a booking I made earlier, when there was no room at County Hall. Then a room turned up, and I booked it. Mind you, I am gnashing teeth at the blatant price hiking adopted for that weekend.

As for training, I've got a couple of good days in. Playing it by ear still.

• Options
    good run Wardi - about 13 miles more than I managed. This sort of training will hold you in good tsead in a month.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Slept like a log last night and a touch weary today (over 55 miles in the last 4 days so not too surprised). Deliberately ran with a recent club recruit at an easy pace, 7 miles in very windy conditions.

Blisters.. I know what you mean about the 'special' hotel rates for FLM weekend. How are we to budget for all this? We had a one minute silence in our local hostelry on Tuesday - a pint of the local Sam Smiths Bitter has now gone up to an astronomical £1:32!