FLM Training: Wardi

Comments

• I'm starting to revert to Northern tendencies.

I declined to enter Bath HM due to the £30+ entry fee.
    London seems good value on the face of it, but will top over £400 when added up. That's not so good.

I fancy Abingdon again. Come on down, you'd enjoy it.

• Well 36.20 for 10km today, not too unhappy given punishment of last couple of weeks. Best part being beating all my male training buddies who thrash me at speedwork. Easy hour in the bush tomorrow then last long one Sunday. Oh and also won a pair of shoes. Course that did not excite my kids but you can never have too many shoes, at last count I have 9 pairs of runners all with different uses.
  • Brilliant result Glenda, that is a seriously quick time too. Congratulations on the prize: some people just don't understand, do they?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Excellent run Glenda. There are lots of Imelda Marcos types on the forum with many pairs of running shoes so you are not alone!

Still a bit leg weary so today is a rest day. I am still planning my last long run. I have the choice of Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, so I will almost certainly do it on the day with the least daunting weather forecast!

The Bath half sounded like a bit of a shambles Blisters so money well saved.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Legs felt better after a day's rest so tried a gentle re-introduction to some faster stuff. 6 miles inc. 8 x 0.5 mile, managed an average of 2:56 with 1 min recovery. No reaction at all from the shin area so I reckon I'm all clear on the injury front.

Steve.. I intend to do the last long run Sunday or Monday. Would you recommend taking most of it at an easy pace with the Kingston 16 in mind next weekend?
  • Wardi,
    Just wannted to check in with ou and see how everything is going. Have read your last few posts, sounds like everything is looking good. Would suggest doing you last long run this weekend at the same pace as you've done the rest of them up to now. Would also suggest that you do the Kingston 16 at your usual long run pace. It's too close to London to think of doing a run of that length anything closer than long run pace, with the possible exception of a few miles at marathon pace thrown in to shake the legs out. Keep it going mate, we're almost there. 

BTW, Bath half was a shambles, so money well saved by Blisters for sure. 

• Blisters
    Dartmoor Vale is a good value marathon...

• Battled the hail, high winds and the hills of Oxfordshire yesterday, to log my last long run. Kept to the plan - 22miles at 7:45 with 6 at M.P. between 10 and 16 miles. Felt reasonably comfatable apart from mile 19, straight into wind up a 10 degree slope with a smattering of hail... good for the soul as they say.

Feeling smug now, so its time to exact some revenge on those Easter eggs who have been mocking me all week!

Good luck one and all with your final long runs. Might be a case of 'train hard... race easy' with this weekends weather in mind!

• 22 miler also complete. Not as quick as you though Phil and although windy, it is even a little sunny in Shrewsbury today.

Roughly as planned. First 10 at 7.45-7.50 then 4 miles at 6:50, followed by 8 miles at 7.50-8.00. Thanks again for the advice Steve and Wardi. MP in middle worked well.

3 weeks to go!

• Nicely done Gavin. How did you find lifting the pace in the middle? For me, the legs resisted a little for the first mile, but settled down again! I Used to live just North of Shrewsbury, you have some fantastic runs around there, nice and hilly too!

Taper advice.... Any wisdom out there on taper speedwork? Should I be putting 100% into speed sessions at this point?

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good efforts Gavin & Phil, we are nearly there!

Gavin.. most speedwork in the taper is at a reduced distance rather than effort from the schedules I have seen. e.g. 800m repeats next week rather than 1 or 2 milers. 400m repeats on the Tuesday or Wednesday of marathon week.

I decided on a mostly easy pace for my LR today. As I have a 16m race next Sunday and a bit of speedwork to do midweek I thought this would be wise; plus I already have 7 runs in the bank of 20 miles or more. I also volunteered to pace my fiancee for 16m at sub 4hr pace (well, she did buy me an easter egg! I can't reciprocate as she is allergic to chocolate!). So 16m @ 8:35-8:50 pace, then we went our separate ways and I ran another 6.4m on my own @ av. 6:50 pace.

Conditions were not very nice. We had to endure a very nasty blizzard between 3-7 miles. My hands went very numb despite wearing gloves. I was just thinking of taking a short cut home when the sun came out and I got some feeling back into my hands. Another mini blizzard at 19 miles had me wondering what we have done to deserve this winter!

74 miles done this week.
  • sorry wardi was out of the country yesterday in race in France but you did what I would have suggested.

Good running from everyone. I did nothing today due to travelling but did run a half marathon which I'm fairly pleased with as my first in my new category.

re speedwork yes distance decreases -  but you don't want to blast the sessions too much and as long as you running much quicker than marathon pace then everything is fine. Run hard but not flat out and finish feeling you could do more if you had to.

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭

It's positively tropical down here Wardi image.

Looking forward to meeting you next week at Kingston.  Not sure if RW are arranging a photo of us four, but if nothing is organised, we must make sure we meet up because once the race gets underway, I won't see you for dust! 

• Steve- Cheers for the speed work advice, sounds sensible. How did you get on with your half?

Wardi- 74 miles will top the bank up nicely. As for the brownie points for pacing the other half... priceless. My missus has just developed a stress fracture... aaaaggghhh! Gutted for her as her training was going really well. One bonus... at least I can pinch her Garmin 305image.

Was planning on 6 easy miles, however, 7:38, 7:31, 7:17, 7:10, 6:47, 6:29 just felt right. Will try to be more strict with myself as the taper continues.

Now back to those Easter delights....

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the Mrs Phil. Is it definitely a stress fracture? Can she hop on the affected leg?

Sezz.. I have e-mailed Daniel at RW to see if there are any official arrangements. Yes we must all meet up come what may, looking forward to it. I just read on your thread that one of your legs is shorter than the other - so you thought the leaning tower of Pisa was upright all along {O: Seriously that is a useful find for you, if you can get it fixed in time for FLM then one less thing to worry about.

6 miles easy today. Looking forward to the taper - and a bit of warmth in the air sometime soon!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Steve.. I meant to ask - with Kingston hoving into view, what do you suggest for the midweek semi-long run? I normally do 12-14m but wondered if I ought to cut this down. I've just consulted my diary and realised that in the last 4 weeks I've run 23m, 22m (20m race +2m warm down), 20m & 22m.

No shortage of mileage there, so do I drop the semi-long run altogether or perhaps do no more than 10 miles?

Just seen your half-m result, congrats on a great time in what sounds like tough conditions.
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Wardi, it's fixed already!   5 mins with my Bowen Technique tutor and I'm done  image

• likewise . . looking forward to we Dreamers getting together on Sunday image thanks for rattling Dan's cage Wardi, hopefully he'll come up with a plan for us . .

I enjoyed the Spen 20 the other weekend . . it was good to breath God's own air during a race and I'm sure it helped my performance!

see you Sunday . .

• Wardi

I would definitely drop/reduce the midweek run to around 10 - you have done all the long runs you need and now it's a case of feeling good on Sunday and getting more speed into your legs without taking anything away from the considerable endurance built.

I did a 1:17 half at weekend but haven't done a half of your long runs and wished I had your endurance background this year.

• Good luck Wardi. I had a 'mare of a long run last night. It started with Bad, and gradually progressed to Worse.

Job done, time to forget it.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Some of them are like that Blisters, just bank it.

10 miles tonight, 4 miles easy before joining clubmates then wound the pace up to circa 7:15 for a few miles.

Good to hear you are mended Sezz.

• All the the best Wardi , shame that I will not be chasing you .

Maybe next year with a full year to build up a head of steam    image

All the best for this year , I hope that the day works to plan.

• That's a good run today are you going to do the reps this week wardi?
  • I reckon you should go the speed reps Wardi. You obviously have the endurance. I think the time is now to put the icing on the cake.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Indeed the speed reps will follow. Legs still a fraction tired from the weekend today so I intend to do the reps on Wednesday. I have a nice flat quiet country link road 1m from home. I have 0.5m already mapped out there, so hopefully I can pound 8 of these out with little in the way of traffic interruption.

Joe.. all the best to you. If possible try and find out why you are having these injury problems. As any good physio will tell you, treat the cause, not the symptom.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    done & dusted in the drizzle..

1 mile jog at each end, 8 x 0.5 mile, try to average 3 mins. I stuck to the 1 min recovery apart from the 4th one where I had a touch of 'jelly leg' syndrome - took a 2 min recovery after this one.

2:59, 2:54, 2:57, 2:59, 2:59, 3:00, 3:00, 2:57.

Felt fairly hard but controlled, presumably all those miles in my legs! Not one single vehicle on my quiet country road for the whole session.

For Glenda's benefit, 0.5 of a mile is near enough to 800 metres {O:
  • Wardi

That's good controlled running again and at that pace suggests all is well and you have a minute a mile to play with at London.

• Hello all. Training seems to be going very well Wardi. I took a cautious approach to the 8 X 800m. I ran 3:05 for each rep with 1 min recoveries.

I am really seeking some reassurance regarding the tapering of the Sub3 RW schedule. I have read various information on the final three weeks (Higden etc) and am just a little worried about the length of the long run this weekend(18) and next weekend(12) I have completed all long runs to date including 20,22,HM,20,22 in last few weeks but am worried that I will not fully recover from 18 miles that is planned this weekend by 13th. (Lots of advice about not to run more than 15 miles in the 3 weeks before as cannot recover.) Any advice?

I have followed the RW Sub3 schedule closely up until now so would like to stick to the last 3 weeks. I think I am just having a nervous moment as I want to be in the best form possible come 13th April (having missed out on a sub3 by 31 secs in 2006). Any advice on last 3 weeks would be very much appreciated.

• Thank you for that Wardi, and nicely done on the reps. Gavin, my plan has me running by time rather than distance and I am supposed to do only 2hrs this Sunday then 1.5 next Sunday. My long run pace is about 4.30ish a km.
  • Gavin

you have done really well with the volume of your long runs. You don't need too much more, so I would suggest 16 should be fine this weekend. Approximately 2 hours but start it fresh, keep hydrated and

I'm not sure I agree with no more than 15 in the last 3 weeks theory - 90% of reasonable quality marathon runners and schedules do more than that distance but everyone is different and you have to find what works best for you.

Of course not easy if it's your first one!

Sub 3 Training schedules almost expect you to run close on 20 miles week after week so surely if you can do that, you can run 15 miles in the last 3 weeks. It's less distance than you would run normally and combined with a reduction of all other sessions too, the taper should be building up fitness and energy rather than taking away from it.

Of course 26 is different from 20 - and from that point you need all the training from past weeks but have to have recovered, so that's why I say err on the side of caution.

Habing said that my pb came with a 30 (which isn't recommended by the way!) 2 weeks before - with the knowledge I now have it was a risk but it certainly didn't do me any harm - I did very little apart from sharpening thereafter.