FLM Training: Wardi

Comments

• Thanks Steve. I think i'll do 16 in about 2 hours as suggested. Your sentence got cut off but suspect that I should include 3-5 miles at MP again and rest at easy (7.45ish)?

10 miles steady today as scheduled, but again rather than run every mile at 6:50, I look a cautious approach and did 4 miles at 6:50 and rest at 7:00-7:10. 71:10ish in total.

• and and and and ..

perhaps run just a short distance at marathon pace - though as you did some today, it's not essential.

I suggest run the first hour easy and then 2 miles at marathon pace, should be enough - rest at 7:30 to 8 minute miling - slower the better.

• Gavin- Think I'll join in with your plan again for the L.R! Was suspicious of the 18 miler as well.

Did the 10 miler today. Slightly faster than M.P. (6:45), a couple of the early miles felt tough, however the last 4 felt good and controlled. Probably getting carried away again but I want M.P to feel as easy as possible on the day!

Wardi- Best wishes for this weekends race. Are you planning to stick with Steve at 7mm pace?

Mrs Phil failed the hop test. Luckily she is a keen rower and there are ample rowing events to distract her.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    6 miles easy along the canal towpath and through Skipton woods yesterday. 7 miles today with a few strides. I will now save my legs for Kingston on Sunday.

Phil.. I will try and stick with the sub 7mm bunch if possible. It all depends what the conditions are like, I don't mind the rain but I am carp in the wind!
  • Have a good run on Sunday Wardi.
  • How much do I hate this part of the whole exercise?

It's lashing it down/across/up and sure, I've had a nice little race at 6:10 pace, but it's not like a 15 miler in 2 hours. I was disappointed for being 10-20 seconds slow. But if I was 5 seconds a mile shy of target pace for a 15 miler I would have been ecstatic about my pace accuracy.

Ok

I really must concentrate. Very important. FLM number One.

A nice sharpener planned is the Midland Counties 12 stage road relay next week. I'll be getting a 3 mile leg, so Bring It ON!

• 16 Miles today mostly at easy pace with 2 miles at MP. 2:03 in total. It's a heatwave! Well maybe not but it was slightly tougher today in the sunshine in Shrewsbury, I think it was only about 11degrees though. (I lost 1400g of body weight in 2 hour run today despite drinking 800ml during run.) If i drink any more I need to pee, but I was 2.2% dehydrated today. I practiced drinking and taking gels ready for 2 weeks time but I think I may need to revise my drinking plan for the day. I had something every 15-20 mins but obviously not enough. I thought 3-4 mouthfuls would be fine every 15-20 mins but I think I need to almost double this.

Hope Kingston went well Wardi.

Any suggestions for next weeks long run Phil. I think it's your turn image. Are you going to do 12 at MP?

• Knocked out 16 undulating miles yesterday. Ran an even 7:25mm with a mate pacing me. Non at MP, as I think Thursday's run was still in my legs. Legs slightly stiff today, however, I think this is from lunges and squats on Friday (not a pretty sight).

Gavin- I reckon my legs should be pretty fresh by next weekend, so will probably go for the suggested 12 miles, maybe the middle 8 at MP. All 12 at MP seems a big ask!  Will of course listen to the voices of wisdom out there. Am going to try gels and immodium(once bitten....). Any suggestions for gel stowage and rationing? 

Wardi - looking forward to your Kingston report. Should provide a good indication of your sub 3 Potential!

Blisters- Thought you had been kidnapped! Has the niggle cleared up? And what distance were you racing 6:10 over?

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Went out for a meal with Mrs W in Kingston last night and it was blowing hard and raining too. 'Oh no not again' I thought. However, praise be to the skies. I awoke to ideal conditions, cool with light winds and the rain left us alone. I was dithering whether to do some or all of the run at sub 3 MP (6:52) but the conditions made my mind up for me. I've been dying to have go at a wind free race for ages and this was my chance. This is how it went..

1 6:47
    2 6:50
    3 6:49
    4 6:49
    5 6:48
    6 6:39
    7 6:50
    8 6:44 half way in 54:20
    9 6:43
    10 6:52
    11 6:50
    12 6:52
    13 6:50
    14 6:46
    15 6:44
    16 6:45
    17 0:56 0.15 yes, the race was a touch long.

Finished in 1:49.55.

A touch tired in the last couple of miles but the pace didn't drop and I felt in control throughout. I also went past loads of runners on the 2nd lap. Absolutely delighted with that, well worth the journey and a great confidence booster for me.

Nice to meet coach Steve in person, must have been a tough and weary outing for you after the XC yesterday Steve!

Good to meet Sezz, FF & Rich K too. Sorry I missed Denny.

Well done on your last long runs Gavin & Phil.
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Wowza!  Great run Wardi, well done.  That must be a huge confidence booster for FLM.  image
  • actually it was easy first lap (once got through back markers) as started at back of main start. second lap harder.

It was a brilliant run by wardi - taper and speedwork this week and he will have the run of his life at London.

Phil

in my view, 12 miles at marathon pace is far too much the week before the marathon, I can't imagine Paula risking 12 miles at 2:15 pace or Geb 12 at 2:04 pace and they are a lot fitter than us!

• awesome Wardi - you da man!
  • So glad that you got a race that you can feel happy about.image
    Those last miles may have felt hard but in reality you actually picked the pace up abit.

Fingers crossed that today does n't take anything out of you and that London goes a smoothly as today.

Absolutely Briliant  image

• You met Steve? image

Well done today Wardi, that looks like a fab race you've had today, good for you. It was good to meet you too this morning, and of course Mrs Wardi2B as well. Pleased that she was happy with her time today . . I hope she understood when I wasn't very chatty when we passed during the race!

I hope you both have a happy taper . . and with luck we'll meet again sometime over Marathon weekend . .

• That's a fantastic run Wardi. You must be so pleased.

Phil I have a zip pocket in back of running shorts for carrying gels. I can get 4 in. I am a little confused about meaning of words in schedule. Next Sunday does say 12 miles steady, which, if you use the calculator comes out at MP (6:50). Steve clearly thinks this is a bad idea. I think i'll do all at easy pace (maybe 1-2 at MP but no more).

Steve. Does that mean that 400m reps on Tuesdays and 3 miles brisk (HM pace - 6:30) on Thurs should not be at normal paces for these types of runs? Should we now only be doing 1-2 miles a week at MP? (I hope you don't mind me keep asking you questions-sorry) 

• Wardi- Chuffed to bits for you! Awesome run... time for some guilt free taper, knowing the potential and hard work are both there! Rest assured I was jet lagged (from the hour change) and still in bed, whilst you were cruising through 16.15 miles.

Steve- Will adjust next weekends L.R. plan as suggested. No point being anything but 100% fit on the day. On another note, I've been eating like a horse of late (scoffing carrots and not using my handsimage). Do you normally reduce your intake as the training reduces in the taper?

Gavin- Shorts idea sounds good!

• Gavin

I would suggest 12M of which you do 2 miles at marathon pace, the rest more at 7:30 to 8.

No you can run fast on the shorter stuff - do 400m reps at normal speed - its not too much volume only 3 miles and thursday is fine too.

the overall mileage for the week is less and as that drops its good to run quickly without having quite the normal tired legs feeling you get when you are in the middle of high mileage.

Phil

have you been eating a horse too?

in theory the appetite reduces as the taper increases - but fast running helps burn off fat too and it doesn't matter too much if you gain a few pounds for the marathon as you will burn so much during the race - it's more important to be well stocked up with carbs and energy than hungry and the exact same weight as usual.

Important to get the balance though.

• Well done Wardi...I hope everyone is enjoying the taper...Had my first day off today in a while.So good to sleep in whilst Hubby got up and went for a walk. Though I did eventually get up and go for a 1500m swim.Yes, it is still warm enough here to swim but i freeze when I hop out.

• Wardi - great run and fabulously consistent pacing throughout. I'm very glad you have finally managed to get a decent wind=free race as a marker of your fitness.

It seems such a long time ago since the Brass Monkey in January, where we were slipstreaming on the way out, like a bike peloton.

Good luck with the taper and hope you and Mrs(2 be) W arrive fresh and rested in London in 12 days time..
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the congrats everyone. At long last I came away from a race not wondering 'what if'. I'm feeling a lot better about my prospects now, I don't get nervous about marathons anymore so I say 'bring it on'.

Yesterday's results have me 103rd out of 1900+ so reasonably pleased with that. No veteran categories shown, I would have been interested to see where I came in the V50's.

To save the old legs from more pounding I stuck to a 20 mile bike commute instead of a run. Quite useful in shaking post race fatigue away from the limbs.

• Good plan for today Wardi.

My Saturday race was only 4km on grass but with a whipping wind in parts. I should have been able to hold 6m/m for all of it, but hey ho.

Sunday's outing was a pleasingly hard 14 miles at 7:10 or something pace. I tried to go out for 10 at 7:20m/m and back home 5 miles at 6:52 pace. I've never been able to lift those uphill home miles! But job done, even if I lost a mile soemwhere in the choice of route.

• Bad news for me. I woke up this morning feeling really rough and tired (Only did 4 miles at 8:30 pace yesterday).My throat feels swollen and I have white dots in the back of my mouth. I think I have a throat infection! No training for me until that clears up then! Not happy about missing last few speed sessions but I suppose better to be ill this week rather than next week!
  • Gavin- Gutted, hope it clears up soon. No doubt you are taking lots of Vit C, fresh fruit and all the good stuff. At least the miles are already in the legs and you have over 10 days to recover!

Blisters- Nice weekends effort.

Did the 400m sprints last night, opted for 1 min recovery. Averaged around 83s, with the last couple just under 80s. Felt quite controlled but working hard on the last 2. Rest day today as I'm working till 2300hrs... pants! However, a day off will probably do the legs some good. 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Take it easy Gavin, better now than next week.

Good sprints Phil, I have given myself a steadier run tonight just to give the legs a bit more recovery time from Kingston. 400's tomorrow for me.

Good to see you are running confidently again Blisters.

8.5 miles with clubmates, a bit of off road now the light evenings are back. Inevitably slow (8mm) straight into a strong gusty wind, av. 7:17 on the way back wind assisted.
  • Our regular first Tuesday of the month 3km TT and managed to equal my 2 yr old pb of 10.11. A  real confidence boost . We have beaut running conditions at the moment.
  • good sharpener Glenda.

Wardi - I think you were 3rd in your category at kingston. Have a good session but remember the 16 will be in your legs a little.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that info Steve, I would be more than happy with 3rd V50 at a big race like Kingston.

6m in total, 1m jog to and from my quiet country lane - only the one car down there tonight!

12 x 400m as planned, pretty even between 83-87 secs with about 60-90 secs recovery. Did the last one in 80 secs as a final blast. I did feel like I could have done them slightly faster but I wanted to save a bit of speed for my club 2.55m handicap tomorrow night.

Very pleasant running conditons today though I see that the weekend is due to be very cold and windy again - charming! Better get the gloves out again.

Good speed Glenda, and well done on matching a tough PB.
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    3rd!  Cool, well done Wardi.
  • Wardi

Out of interest.

You have been doing a darned good programme of speed sessions this past couple of months. I'm interested to see if you have improved your short range speed by comparison with previous years. Do you have any feedback on that?

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Problem is Blisters I haven't done any shorter races recently since the Dewsbury 10k in Feb - and that was very windy so it didn't really give me a clue. Tomorrow's race shold be a reasonable indicator. The course is very undulating, I am usually pleased with sub 16 mins.

I am finding the pace of the speed sessions more manageable which is a good sign. I also think it has benefitted my long run/race pace - the 16m MP at Kingston felt workmanlike but not exhausting.

Thanks Sezz. it seems the further the distance the higher up the rankings I come!