Options

FLM Training: Wardi

1131415161719»

Comments

• Options

Congratulations on the forthcoming marriage Wardi. It was nice to briefly meet your lady over a plate of Heinz, and I hope that my energetic tribe didn't destroy your romatic meal out, or worse still put you off kids altogether.

And now, to continue to collect my own charity pledged dosh.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Matt.. good to meet up on Sunday, wretched luck getting a bug before the race. No shame in being a lightweight on the sub 3 thread, blimey some of those guys are quick!

Blisters.. we were put off kids for life in 1980 when the St.Winifreds School Choir appeared on Top Of The Tops singing 'There's no one quite like Grandma' {O:

The wedding is June 28th so I had better transfer my Groom's speech from head to paper and pay for the rings sometime soon.
  • Options
    Wardi

If your wedding is 28 June, I hope your honeymoon plans will allow you to get back in time for the Selby 10k (RRL series)!

And on a random note:
    I once shared a stage with St Winifred's school choir - Sheffield Arena in (about) 2000, doing support for Russell Watson.

It was indeed scary, but didn't manage to put me off children.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Er, the honeymoon has been 'held back' to the following Wednesday so that we can both run at Selby {O:

Steve.. got my AW today, how do they decide how many vets to list in their respective categories in the FLM results? Is there a time limit for each age group or is it simply down to available space in the mag? Looks like I just missed out!
  • Options

wardi

you were inside the standard so should technically have got in (you are in in the main body of results) which go to 3:04:59 but the Vets results were manually typed by the Vets reporter and he obviously decided 50 was enough in each age group. the M50 standard is actually 3:10.

I think we should do more next week.

• Options

Is this any use to you?

Wardi

• Options

I have just found out that good for age entry must be in by 29th August this year. Robin Hood and Wolverhampton are now too late! I don't think I will be able to run a marathon between now and then. I think I'm going to enter Edinburgh next year as good for age as they take a sub 1:25 half as good for age and I have a 1:23.

5 miles today @7:45. All feels good.

• Options
    I am doing Tewkesbury 1/2 marathon next (May 11th). Hoping for under 1:25. I hear Blisters has a title to defend in this race.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good to see that some of you are still on here guys. A series of six 10k races starting in just over 2 weeks (one race per fortnight) beckons for me. A few of my clubmates are doing the Dublin Marathon in October, I might be tempted!

Gavin.. good luck with the Edinburgh training.

Blisters.. thanks for the link, fame at last etc.
  • Options
    Wardi - good luck with the RRL series and I'll see you on the start line. Faster this year, or else!

If Dublin sounds a bit too much like hard work, how about the Mablethorpe mara in September? It's do=able from home in a day, especially from Tadcaster. Nice and flat, and fast as long as the winds don't get up (shouldn't mention wind on this thread, I know!)
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Ex-Pat.. due to a June Wedding + 2 week honeymoon etc the timing of Dublin (end of Oct) appeals. I like a solid block of 4 months training for a marathon to be in the right shape. I would like to do Mablethorpe or Abingdon one year but they are too soon this time around.

20m bike commute today, I will resume normal running training tomorrow.
  • Options

Evening Gang,

Shall be signing off for a wee while, as I'm off to Iraq for a few months. Will try to keep the running up whilst away, however, I think the heat will conspire against me.

Hope to run a bunch of 10Ks (get my first official sub 40) and halfs (push for a sub 80) towards the end of the year. Will take advantage of my GFA place in next years FLM (target tbc!). 

Wardi- Well done on a fantastic PB. Best wishes for the wedding and a fantastic honeymoon! I'm sure you will keep your stamina up!

Steve- Thanks for all your wise words and giving me confidence, a sub 3 mara is possible on low milegae training!

Gavin- Good luck on going sub 3! I'm sure you'll smash it next time!

Blisters- Great to meet you at the London. Thanks for your steady pacing through the first half, no doubt you stopped me from blowing up in the second half! Look forward to seeing you at a local event.

Not sure which forum you guys will be on when I get back... so I'll do a little detective work! 

Happy racing folks,

Philimage

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    4.1 miles am

7.5 miles pm. started at 8mm cranking up to 6.55 pace.

Starting to get back in the swing

Good luck and a safe journey Phil. For the record I tend to hang out on the Daily Training thread.
  • Options

I followed this thread at the end of last year and then got injured so lost a bit of interest,

Congrats on the 3:03 to Wardi and a PB, especially as a V50.

I am keen to understand how  much having coaching and advice helped you. From what I could gather you were very self-motivated and had a pretty decent training plan before the coaching came along.What were the important parts of the coaching for you

John

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Blimey my thread has been unearthed from below ground! Interesting to see the latest batch of hopefuls in the RW FLM competition, brings it all back.

JB.. Steve had me doing a bit more speed work that I normally do, mostly longish reps (1-2 miles). This time I am starting a bit earlier with the sharper stuff (like now!), 400m intervals to start with, then 800's, 1k, 1 mile etc. My theory is that this will help me get used to the effort in stages rather than going straight into the longer reps. I am already running 50-60 mpw so the build up has started!

I am of course having another go at FLM 2009, having come so close to sub 3 I feel it is worth another try.
  • Options

Chers for that. I have not opened my mag yet so I was not aware of the FLM hopefuls. I would really like to do another FM but everytime I get anywhere near fit and firing on all cylinders injury strikes. It is all rather de-motivating. Good luck in April and I hope you go sub 3.

John