FLM Training: Wardi

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Brief account of long run at bottom of previous page Steve.
  • you must have sent your session message while I was sending mine.

That's a good pace - much quicker than I could manage at this stage of the year.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    10 miles steady run home from work.. straight into a strong wind and constant rain. Charming! Good for the soul I suppose. Normally run these at about 8mm pace but the wind slowed me down to 8:11's.
  • good run and know its what you are used to but I think occasionally after a hard Sunday, you need to be easing back a bit on Mondays so you can run harder on Tuesday.

The schedule was 5M?

While my target time is faster than yours, I just wouldn't contemplate running that far or fast today as I know I would run slower on Tuesday though I suspect they breed them tougher in Yorkshire

Long term for London, I think running faster on Tuesday will be what gets you that sub 3.

any thoughts?

Will you be able to do speedwork tomorrow with any others?

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Fair advice Steve. I was planning a mini taper for later in the week leading up to the half marathon, so I thought I would try and fit in any long/hard stuff before Friday.

There are a couple of lads who usually show up on Tuesdays who pick the pace up on club nights. If by any chance they don't show up or the run isn't too taxing I will do the 8x800m intervals on Wednesday.
  • This week the half marathon probably should take preference over all other running and you fit your other runs around it and if you run a good half then whether you have done speedwork or not won't really matter but the fast club run and 800m reps are different types of session and build up different speed levels, even if both are hard and fast.

Next week there are no reps due to the race and the race is longer than what  was recommended by Garmin but the half marathon will be perfect.

In terms of training, the danger could be you are building up 2:50 type marathon endurance early but will only have 3:05 type speed but Sunday will hopefully prove the hard work is paying off.

• Wardi - fact is you could probably run two marathons in the time it's going to take me to run my first but just wanted to pop in as another RW supporter and wish you the best in your training. Good luck with the half on Sunday!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LE.. thanks for your best wishes. Just keep at it and you will become a better runner. I remember standing in pen 4 in my debut marathon in 1994 and eyeing the guys n' gals in the forward pens enviously. Well, after a lot of hard work I've made it to pen 2 so far!

Club night and my pacemaker turned up. 7.2 mildly undulating miles in all, started with 2 steady miles then cranked it up as follows..

7:02
    6:35
    6:23
    6:30
    6:33

Consecutive miles with no breaks so very pleased with that.

With Sunday's race in mind what would you suggest for the rest of the week Steve?
  • wardi that's a great session with the half marathon ahead.

The schedule say 9M tomorrow  - don't think you need that far - tomorrow should be recovery - easy -even eight minute miles 45 minutes  is probably enough. option of am run.

Thursday or Friday would be an idea just to run at faster than half marathon pace even if its just 6 x 90 seconds or 400m - that's shouldn't tire you but liven up the legs but would suggest no more than 5M in total each day on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Then if the weather's good, I'm sure you will run a great half.

• You appear to be on frightening form Wardi.

Don't forget your wellies for the race.

• Blisters wrote (see)

Don't forget your wellies for the race.

What for?  No sheep round here...

If you mean the flooded river, its OK round the racecourse.  Not so N of the city centre though.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    am.. 4 miles at my early morning (half awake!) 8:30 pace.

pm.. 5 miles steady at wide awake 7:57 pace.

The forecast for Sunday looks ok at the moment, fingers crossed. I don't mind the rain or cold, it's the wind that bothers me.

Blisters.. hope you can cure that back problem. One former character in my club once stated '..I've got a pain in the back of me back..'. Another of his gems after a poor race was '..back to the draining board'.
  • That looks a good day's running - after the hard day yesterday - now the mini taper.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Now then Wardi

I've had a peek at your last few days training and you seem to be going well at the moment.  One problem I always have is being able to run as fast in training as I can in racing. For instance, I rarely manage to get below 6:30min/mile pace on 800m intervals or below 8:00 on my long runs. Do you have this problem or are these times indicative of the fact that you are going to 'whup my aasss' (as my 13 year old would say) at the Brass Monkey?

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Hi Wardi.   Great running...on a different planet to me!

I know what you mean about running the crap weather being good for the soul. I felt bizarrely cheerful after my hideous intervals on Tuesday in the pouring rain. 

Good luck for the Sunday.  What time are you aiming for?

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Thanks Sezz. I'm hoping for 1:24-1:27 on Sunday if conditions are good. BTW my other half is up to 14m for her FLM training (I'm coaching her!). She is hoping to beat her PB from last year of 1:52. Good luck with your own efforts, no slacking now {O:

Podro.. my achilles heel are short fast intervals (400, 800, 1 mile). I presume they get a little easier the more you do. I find quick tempo runs like Tuesday's less of a strain and my long run pace seems to naturally improve with each 18+ outing. This probably suggests that I ought to pay more attention to the short sharp stuff that I am currently struggling at!

As Steve suggested, an easy run today (5.7m) with a few intervals in the middle to liven the legs up..

4 x 0.25 miles 85, 91, 88, 86 secs. Finished off with 1 x 0.5 mile in 2:51.

I tend to do this sort of thing in the last 2 weeks before the marathon. On the Wednesday before FLM I did 10 x 200m fast which helps with reducing that slightly 'slovenly' feeling in the last week. I also traditionally run about 3 miles the day before the marathon, it opens the lungs a bit and seems to alleviate the carbo loading stuffiness.
  • Wardi: Intervals dont get easier, the times just get a litlle quicker.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Blisters - Times don't get quicker for me . But recovery times get shorter. I need to find a way of pushing up the time sduring the effort itself.
  • Good session Wardi

it either gets easier or gets faster or you can do the same speed off shorter recovery.

Sadly never all three at the same time. It doesn't get easier though if you only do it occasionally and as a last resort. The sort of speedwork does sharpen you up before races but more importantly done in the bulk of training it enables you to run faster full stop.

Daniel has asked me to remind everyone that the latest newsletter is on its way and the two issues possibly most relevant to marathon runners is diet and the importance of long runs.

Do you think nutrition makes a difference to your marathon running?

Personally when I get slightly overweight (which occasionally happens in marathon training as the appetite increases), I feel sluggish and if I make a better effort to eat healthier and work hard on my speedwork, then I tend to run better. It's not cutting food down - just the quality of food.

As for long runs, I don't think is the thread to preach as everyone seems to be doing their long runs sufficiently.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I tend to eat adequately for my training schedule, the odd treat like a pizza but plenty of healthy stuff; salads, pasta, fruit etc. I do have a sweet tooth but despite my chocolate indulgences my weight does seem to gradually drop between now and April. I have a light breakfast every day and drink water throughout the day.

Long and longish runs since early Nov..

15, 16, 20, 19, 15, 20, 19, 15, 19.

Complete rest today, and believe me when I say I don't have these very often! I will probably have an easy 4-5 mile run tomorrow then wrap myself in cotton wool before the Brass Monkey half. Current forecast for Sunday is for winds of less than 10mph, heaven!

• Your diet looks good.

Your long runs sequence looks exceptional.

Enjoy the rest - your body deserves it and will appreciate it come the 10th mile on Sunday.

Forecast looks unusually good for this time of year  -  set off at 6:30-6:40 miles and keep it going!

• For you Wardi for your long runs

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o207/bicfomh/gg01/star/star017.gif

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Why thank you LE. The last time I got one of those was for full marks in a spelling test when I was 8!

Having advertised my near exemplary diet, I do intend to finish my rest day shortly with 3 beers. Tomorrow will be non alcoholic however!

Steve.. considering the January date they have been so lucky with the Brass Monkey weatherwise over the years. It has been a bit icy on the country lanes a couple of times but they have never had really poor weather since I started running it in the early 90's. The nearest we get to a hill is a hump of a railway bridge which is crossed at mile 1 (and 11 on the way back) and a slight climb over the dual carriageway flyover at 0.75 miles (and just past 12 miles on the return). The rest of it is very flat.
  • Podro: same rep times off shorter recovery is also good in my book. The wonders of the HRM mean that I can now see how long it takes to drop to 120 bpm. About 45 seconds when doing mile reps at 6m/m -ish.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    4.2 miles steady early doors, that's me done until tomorrow.
  • Welcome Wardi. Do you do a LR every week regardless of whether you are training for a marathon or not, or are you always training for an upcoming marathon/event?  
  • Good luck at BM, Ward.  You can be sure I'll be studying all the results with close interestimage
  • See you tomorrow on the start line.  Red headed Easingwold runner : there aren't many of us!

Good luck

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I will say hello if I see you Ex-pat, have a good run. Best of luck with the sub 90 attempt.

Thanks BR, good to see you back on here again. Hope the move went well. I had a fairly average run last year in 87:30 so I am hoping for better things tomorrow.

LE.. I don't do as much of the long stuff in the summer, max. 15/16 miles - unless I decide to do an autumn marathon as well as a spring one! I will shortly be doing one or two 22 milers now I am ok over 19/20 miles.
  • Just dropping by to wish you a good time in your half tommorow.