Options

FLM Training: Wardi

Comments

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. Don't fret too soon. I lost one month of training back in 2005 due to injury - back end of Jan, start of Feb. No running at all, I kept my fitness up as best I could with regular cycling and swimming. Built the mileage back up carefully and ran FLM just 1 minute short of my PB. Best of luck with your recovery, wretched luck when you were running so well.

am.. 4.1 miles easy.

pm.. 6.7 miles with a few fartlek sections.

Not sure about a long run tomorrow, the forecast looks pretty dire with very strong winds. I'll see how I feel about it in the morning.

Steve.. as I won't be able to do much training on Sat/Sun I intend to reserve Monday for some speedwork on fresh legs.
  • Options

Wardi

Another good day's training.

you may as well do something long (15 miles at least) tomorrow as you never know some upcoming races, but hopefully not the marathon, could be in windy conditions and as you are otherwise engaged at the weekend, you need a reasonable longish run.

If you run 15M but have a fairly soft weekend, then you should be able to do some good speedwork on Monday.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Well I did get out there but it is very wild up here - 40mph winds. I got blown into a hedge twice and when I had to duck for a flying branch I decided to cut my losses and head for home. Legs felt a bit flat so a rest day beckons tomorrow.

14.5 miles done, pleased that I managed to persuade myself to do it!

Is it just me? I've been running marathons since 1994 and I can't remember ever training through worse weather conditions than this winter.
  • Options

Wardi - just pops in to say I too found the wind just a tad much today. I could cope with running into the wind and hardly moving, it was being dragged up a hill by the force of the gales near a main road and having no control over my legs!!!!!!! Cut short my run after 6 miles too.

Hope it's calmed down for my 20 miler on Sunday.

Enjoy your weekend and your rest day in particular!

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Good luck with that 20 miler Sue. I think the forecast is a bit kinder for Sunday. How did your Brass Monkey run go? Was it in line with your expectations?
  • Options

Wardi

sorry it was breezy here but nothing bad and 5 very very slow miles was enough for me.

well done on doing almost 15 in those conditions. Wise to stop when you did.

• Options

Steve,

Thanks for the advice on 'reduced mileage training'. You have given me hope that sub 3hrs is still possible. However, a sub 1hr 20min will be a challenge and a half.

Best wishes with your training!

Wardi,

Enjoy your recovery fella!

Cheers,

Phil

• Options

Wardi - hope the forcast is correct. Hoping to get off road for a good portion of my run too, something I haven't attempted for a week or so as I imagine the conditions would make some parts of my route(s) hard to negotiate. I much prefer my long ones to be off road, so so much nicer!

I didn't all out race the BM and came in at 1.37.32 which was still a pb by a minute.  I have got myself in a 'bit of a state' recently about racing and suffered really badly with tension and nerves so the BM was very much an exercise is just running relaxed and enjoying the experience. Actually I think this approach suited the breezy conditions so when I lost time in the first 7 miles I didn't fight to maintain my pace and thus had the energy to pick up a fair bit in the later stages.

I hope to race Snake Lane (assuming I am not ill/injured/knackered/over-trained!) as a better bench mark of where I stand but happy with progress overall. I am and never will be a speed demon so I think that I will have to graft darn hard for my rewards!

Enjoy your weekend, just waiting for a pizza to arrive (well it is loads of carbs...)image

• Options

HI gang.

Deliberate low profile this week, despite a bit of lurking.

My personal achievements: A week long taper. An hour with the fizzy-O. An a planned long training run on Sunday: 26.2 miles at Goal Marathon Pace.

• Options

Blisters,

I take my hat off.... 26.2 miles for a training run..... at proposed marathon pace! I Struggle to motivate the body to do 20 when there are no crowds cheering! Let us know how you get on.

I managed 17 on sat, in blowy but otherwise lovely conditions.

Good luck everyone with the training!

Cheers,

Phil

p.s. anyone doing the ALSAGER 5 next sun?

• Options

Not sure I've heard anyone run 26.2 miles at marathon pace in training  as most want to save it for the big day and it could take a lot out of you and you aren't as fit, fast or rested as you will be April.

I wouldn't argue with 20 miles at race pace or 26 miles at a minute a mile slower.

Am jealous as due to not feeling very well, I ran about 12 miles at 3 minutes per mile slower than my goal marathon pace!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done for hanging on in the 14.5-miler, Wardi.

I had a disappointing run at the Mids XC yesterday - course wasn't too tough and the wind wasn't too bad but I just seemed to be working hard to achieve the pace I did (or didn't, depending on your outlook!). Managed 22 today at c. 8m/m (Garmin died on me at 21.80 miles, so guessed the final bit and I've left it charging while I come into work) - frustrating that the legs didn't feel particularly knackered at the end of it all! Still, I've got 4 weeks to sharpen up for the National XC and then the Reading Half (or Bath Half if I chicken out at Reading).
  • Options

Gloucester Marathon report is on other threads, namely sub 3:15, sub 3, Events, and Daily training.

Gang of 3 forumites in formation.

Undulating course.
    Perfect weather
    A lovely day for a long run in the countryside.

Crossed the finish line in ecstacy, as the Garmin said 3:05:xx, but how cruel, as it had stopped at its 26.2 Ping. My true time was 3:07:22, but surprisingly 8th place (1st Vet 40).

And the prize giving was upstairs in the pub. UPSTAIRS!

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    A splendid triumph Blisters and you are quite right to trumpet it herewith. I take it that walking downstairs from the prize giving was a hint at what is to come at age 80+ {O:

Joolska.. well done on the long run, particularly following the XC the day before.

Well, a week to put aside I think. After a disappointing half marathon last Sunday I have had to endure my least favourite training conditions almost all week, plus various family commitments which have prevented a long run. Somehow I have still managed to rack up 56 miles for this week so I will book it as a brief step down period.

This sort of stuff can always happen so I am happy to bank it and move on.

5 miles early today was all I could fit in. Some speedwork tomorrow.
  • Options

Good marathon blisters.

Wardi as you are more rested than normal on your Tuesday speedwork, you should be able to work hard on that speed.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    With only 5 miles in my legs in the last 2 days I decided to combine a medium-long run with some intervals so ran home from work. Total of 11.25 miles done, 4 miles easy then 8 x 0.5 miles with 2 min. recoveries. Times 3:08, 3:09, 3:08, 3:10, 3:10, 3:11, then up the effort.. 3:01, 2:58.

Verdict? A useful session which I enjoyed but I am clearly not sharp enough yet. I would normally expect to run this interval distance closer to 3mins throughout. I ran a 10k at 6:14 pace back in July so I think the speed will come if I stick at this kind of workout.

If the quicker lads show up at the club tomorrow I will do a bit of tempo pace with them if my legs feel ok.

• Options

That's a good session but  yes you still need more speed but be aware it will be slightly in your legs if you run fast again tomorrow.

Personally I wouldn't have run as far as 4 miles prior to doing the faster work as it takes a little from the speed though it works your endurance better.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    4.1 miles @ a gentle 8:30 pace early this morning. Did wonders in easing a bit of stiffness/tiredness out of my legs from last night's speedwork.

Club tonight.. 7 miles in total. A gentle first 3 miles, legs felt ok so eased into a few miles at MP with clubmates. 7:02, 6:40, 6:45, 6:44.

Quite pleased with that, and nice to have a run in what was only a moderate strong wind!
  • Options
    Always comforting to do a few at marathon pace. They do seem terribly fast in training don't they? BTW, if you have a HRM, what was it ticking along at ?
  • Options

A good session and day's training after the speedwork.

Did you feel comfortable at that pace over the last 3 miles?

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Thanks Steve.. best summary would be 'working a bit but always in control'.

Blisters.. I am a bit of a novice with HRM's. I use mine primarily to make sure I run slow enough on the recovery runs (max 70% of MHR). Being an old man my peak HR appears to be 172, my RHR is around 41-47 depending on recent activities.

Steve.. was there an eventual consensus on which pacing run/race was suitable for most of the Dreamteam?
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Wardi, I know that Granny Denny and I are doing the Kingston run on 30th March and I have a feeling that I've seen Rich mention that on his thread.  Are you able to come down for that?

• Options

yes I think its Kingston that Daniel wanted everyone down for. I'm sure he'll be in touch about it.

• Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Legs a little tired from the Mon/Tues stuff but squeezed in 12.4 miles at av.7.55 pace tonight. I moved this forward from tomorrow in view of the wind borne torrent expected in the morning.

I had promised my OH a birthday treat (big 50!) on the weekend of the 30th so Kingston might be tricky. However, if I could persuade her to run it as part of her FLM preparations, a visit to Hampton Court etc.. {O:

Travel enquiry.. arriving at Kings Cross, which station would one use to get to Kingston?
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    It depends what time you are arriving Wardi.  But as an example you would get Tube (Piccadilly Line) to Picadilly Circus then Bakerloo line to Waterloo and thn get train to Kingston.  Probably take an hour or so.  There are other routes. 
  • Options

Wardi: your HR zones appear to be very similar to mine. Max recorded in a sprint finish was also 174 I think, but there's a singular spike reading from one race that went to 180. I can only think that was a bit of a misfire. Resting is also about 47.

Regarding your trip to Kingston, I'd check which one they were on about first. There's you thinking about Hull, and they are thinking about Richmond, when actually it's in Jamaica.

[b]www.tfl.gov.uk[/b] 

Kings cross BR - Victoria line to Vauxhall - South West Trains to Kingston Rail station. 47 minutes shortest expected journey time. Good stuff this interweb.

• Options
    that was a good run yesterday after the two hard days and wise to move forward as the weather has been awful today.
  • Options
    11 miles trotted out at 7:45 pace. Bobbing along, but not as sprightly as sometimes. I wonder why?
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Wall to wall gales today with the odd wave of sleet & rain thrown in for good measure. Is there no end to these storm conditions? At the moment I feel like hibernating until the weather has calmed down! {O:

Apparently tomorrow is going to be even windier!

6.8 miles steady tonight.

Blisters.. not a bad pootle this close post marathon.

Many thanks for the travel tips, now I just have to practice my long unused charm offensive!
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Wardi, even better reason to come down south - the weather here is lovely image