FLM Training: Wardi

Comments

• Great Running Wardi.

20M still seems like a bl**dy long way to me.

Keep up the good work.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Sezz.. these were Tesco 'end of the day' duffnuts, 5 for 25p!

Thanks Joe, & well done on the PB today.

SB.. I have been using a variant of my long run course since 1994. Therefore the hedge bottom for my drinks can be found with my eyes shut!

Thanks Steve, my legs feel surprisingly fresh after that effort but I will reserve judgement until possible seizure tomorrow {O:
  • Ah, I remember doing the Sainsbury's doughnut run as a student...  On a good/bad day everyone in the house seemed to pick up 5/10 cheap doughnuts and there'd be a huge stash on the table.  Very useful when I needed to gain weight - the 2 doughnuts a day diet is extremely effective in this regard (wasn't a runner then, so no idea how they do as running fuel!).
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Custard duffnuts are my favourites, yum. Ah, the benefits of running 70mpw!

5 miles easy tonight, legs feel slightly fatigued after yesterday but no stiffness or soreness.
  • Hiya

8 harder miles for me.

Marathon pace, without a warm up or a pace group. On the same course as the Glos marathon 2 weeks ago. Funny that the work rate seemed harder, but the legs were definitely slightly more tired, yet the HR was down from the racing HR at the same pace.

A good start to the week, but tomorrow is another day.

• Think how many doughnuts you could have if you ran 100 miles a week.

Wardi while you may feel good that 20 will have taken something out of you so if you do want to run quickly, build it up gradually.

5M was ideal today.

You probably won't be able to gain any fitness until later in the week anyway though you may be able to get a little zip back into the legs.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    If I ran 100 mpw I would get myself a job in a bakery {O: The most I've ever done in a week is 89 miles and I never felt stuffed no matter what I put down me!

am.. 4 frosty misty miles easy

pm.. 7 miles with the club, 2 steady miles to start then 5 miles at av. 7:20 pace just to open the lungs a bit. Legs feel almost back to normal.

Steve.. I will do the allocated hill session on Thursday all being well. I have a low key club XC race on Sunday (6.7 miles) which should be a good workout. I will probably do a few miles before & after to turn it into a longish run.
  • again what you did sounds about right and the rest of week looks  good
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    12.3 miles steady at av. 7:52 pace. I did think of doing 14-ish but decided to cut it slightly short to keep the legs fresh.

A bright crisp evening at the start of the run but the fog descended on the country lanes very rapidly, maximum 50 metres visibility. Still prefer this to kite flying conditions.

Steve.. just to let you know I sent off my entry for the Kingston Breakfast Run today. Cripes, an 8:20am start. I thought the 9am start for the Dewsbury 10k was sufficiently early doors!
  • 12 miles is fine - presume you were well in control.

8.20am is too early for me. It is a Breakfast run but as I usually have breakfast around 9am, would have to stop before halfway for a bite to eat.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    am.. 14 x hills as per schedule with 1m w/u & w/d. All the times were between 1:42 and 1:46 so pleased with the consistency.

pm.. 7.4 miles very easy with the club. If anyone thinks I have deserted my valentine duties my good lady came running as well! A bit of nice grub and champagne will follow shortly.
  • A great days training - you certainly deserve the nice grub and champagne
  • Who says romance isn't dead!  Enjoy the treats and the easy day tomorrow
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    An easy day indeed, 5 miles steady.

Maybe a rest tomorrow and XC race plus a few miles on Sunday.
  • Did I hear that right ,   REST

Looks like you are still going great. I hope that you had a good meal and that your cross country goes well.

I am going to attempt my first 20M on sunday . eek

• Of course he's allowed rest. In less than 10 years' time he'll be thinking about retirement.

Anyway, this "few" miles he talks about for Sunday may well be 22, if I read between the lines.

5 mile road race for me today, with a few warm up/down. Maybe 9 on Sunday. The aim is for 60 this week, although I am feeling a few bodily imperfections.

• Hello Guys and Gals,

Blisters - Great effort in your recent marathon. Do you normally do a pre FLM marathon? And do you find it helps or hinders your training, with such a big effort relatively close to the FLM.

Wardi- Good to see you're still churning the miles out. Your 20 mile effort inspired me this morning. In lovely, fresh conditions, I managed 20 miles in 2hrs 20min. Think I got a bit excited early on, but recovered in the middle and finished feeling strong. Its a great confidence booster, however, knocking those 10 seconds off each mile will be a little cheeky! What's your plan for the remaining long runs, in terms of pace and distance?

Steve- You recently gave me some top advice on reduced mileage marathon training (40-45 mpw) for a sub 3hr effort. What pace would you recommend for my remaining long runs, to maximise my chance of success? What's the latest on your training?

Best wishes to all,

Phil

• A great run today Phil

I would suggest you need a longer, slower run in there - ie 22-23 miles more at 7:30 pace

but also a few 15-17 miles at 6:50 but also try and get a half marathon race in where you sub 6:30.

Combining faster paced runs at halfs, marathon pace at mid length long runs and longer runs at slower pace should combine to make up for the lack of overall distance.

You clearly have the speed to do it - the endurance is going to require harder work. With Wardi it's the other way around!

My own training hasn't gone well at all as have had pb length cold since early January and had worst ever January in 30 years - still not gone but had very strong xc today and hopeful can get a decent long run in tomorrow as

• In response to some questions.

I listen to all sorts of people for advice, and if it makes sense I take it on board. Sometimes I even follow it. Falling into a rut is the greatest sin in training. If you do what you did last year and previously, then you'll probably produce a similar result. So, Phil, the answer is no, I have never raced a marathon in a build up to a marathon. I have found that a 24 mile run is a great confidence booster though, especially for my first one. Analytically I have seen several people do a 20 mile race 6 weeks prior to FLM, and produce a great time, only to bomb at London. Personally I have traditionally raced a hard fast half marathon 4 or 5 weeks out from target race. Once it was 3 weeks out and I got blisters all over my feet, which was a disaster in terms of critical training. This time I have decided that my favourite pre-FLM HM (Bath) was too flipping expensive, so haven't entered.

Hmm I've just had an idea. Top secret. Let's see if it works before I come out with it.

Right. I just need 13 miles tomorrow to clock my 60 mile week, but haven't done a 20 miler. However my body is creaking a bit. There's a possibility of doing it on Tuesday. OK, next.

Today, a little race in amongst an 11 mile day. 5 miles in 30:02, absolutely delighted with the result, even though Dan Robinson beat me by a mile. Literally. We chatted before the start, we chatted in the warm down, but the last I saw of him in the race was in the first 100m. Expect him to produce the goods at London.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    An 8:30am start - my other half was seeking her first 20m outing for her FLM long run so I volunteered as pacemaker by way of encouragement. 11m at a steady (for me) 8:45 pace. We both followed this with the XC race and a 3m warm down giving us both 20m for the day.

The XC was on slightly treachorous (part frozen) nobbly ground so a certain amount of caution was necessary. I managed 6:37 pace over the 6.67 miles (44.03), quite pleased with that. 66 miles for the week.

Blisters.. that is a very fine 5m performance, many congrats. At the sharp end you appear to be where I need to be, as it were. FWIW I agree with you about doing the same training over & over again - and the price of the Bath Half!

• Good 5 Blisters

Good XC considering the conditions and rather long warm up and that's a great day's training (and week) Wardi

• Top stuff Wardi, particularly on the XC. Running with a partner is a bit like cycling with a partner- you need a fair amount of patience and a great care not to pee them off!
  • Thanks for the advice XPS, I'm on fairly safe ground as My wife doesn't run and has no bike. Mind you she and our elder daughter swim like fish. I swim like a house.

Wardi: A good XC as reported before. Sorry to hear about your niggles, I though that it was just me that was crumbling. I didn't get my 20 miler at the weekend, so only hit 56 miles on the week. Targets and all that. I think that I'll just do a short one tonight and then try and get a 20 tomorrow.

• Steve- Thanks for the Long run advice, all sounds very sensible! Will try and achieve sub 6:30 in the up comming Bath Half. Hope the cold subsides and you can enjoy some of this glorious Feb sunshine!

Blisters- Fantastic 5 miler!

Wardi- My girlfriend (also training for FLM), passes her sympathy to your other half. I'm banned from training with my girlfriend. I think my military approach is not her idea of fun!

Anyone doing the Goring 10k?

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    6 miles easy tonight. My Friday shin niggle appears to be gone so looks like my swift treatment has done the trick.

My good lady is training well for her debut marathon. 20 miles yesterday in 2:58 so I am beginning to wonder if she could break the magic 4 hour mark.

Steve.. I have the Snake Lane 10 mile race on Sunday so I will be tapering a little towards the end of the week. I was considering doing the 200m session on Thursday as a pre race sharpener, good idea?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Phil.. I'm like a metronome so she appreciates my clockwork pacemaking capabilities!
  • Wardi

your good lady certainly looks to have a 4 hour marathon in her.

Yes the 200m session should be ok for Thursday with Sunday in mind - just try and run them steadily and get into a good rhythm - ie maybe start at 45 and work your way down to nearer 40 by end of session.

The 10 mile should be interesting - what sort of time do you think you can run if the conditions are good?

• He'll be looking to beat my PB.
  • Been following this with interest in Australia as my marathon is also 13th April (in Canberra, our capital city). I raced a 10 miler just this sunday gone . 1.01.23. It's a fair bit hotter here in Brisbane. I'm racing a half on the 2nd March and the goal is 1.20...what think you guys. ps I was in London early December and ran a half marathon with Bedford Harriers...very cold and wet. Ran LOndon Marthon in 2005 for a 3.08. Not my best time but fantastic fun.