Wimbledon 10K

Comments

• I'll be wearing my club vest on Sunday. Not 80's retro look.
  • You'll need more than a vest, LL. You'll catch your death. I always find trainers are a good option too. Well not at the mo though, as I'd only need one! I'm now the not so proud wearer of an aircast! I've only been at the club since Nov' and obviously haven't been there since beginning of Feb', so we may have met/ seen each other around, but I can guarantee you've met Cavey. He's very sociable,(doesn't stop talking!) and has been there longer than me.

Cavey, let me know about Sunday and I'll skip on down to watch. I'll get one leg excercised if nothing else. Oh, and I think you'd be very fetching in a red and white polka dot dress, sweetie.
  • I've been a member since about 04 but I can't make any of the training sessions! I sometimes go to the Sunday social and do the 6 miles round the ponds. I always appreciate the warm welcome everyone extends to me as a new memberimage
  • That's a shame, the weekday runs are good fun, but if you cant make it that's fair enough. I haven't managed the Sunday runs at all, 'cos I'm either working or doing longer runs with the boys. Maybe one day when I'm up and running again I'll make the effort to go along on the Sunday.

Yep, the club are always very friendly and welcoming, dunno how many times you'd get away with being a new memeber though. All that clapping!
  • Embarrassing, I knowimage

The year before last I pitched up on Boxing Day with my FLM rejection letter to go into the ballot and Jeff asked me if I was a member image

I did do the McKay/ Wool Rd hills session one week round Christmas time.

• You're not Jeff are you? LOL!
  • LL,

Have you had a go at the wimbledon common time trials at all...

• Yes, I usually work on saturday mornings during school term time but I've done the WCTT 3 or 4 times and the BPTT twice. How about you? My pb for WCTT is about 24.30 but I'd be slower than that now! I wont be doing it this saturday (big race the next day!) but possibly the weekend after and the one after that.........

• Nah I'm not Jeff. Nice fella though.
    The WCTT is good ain't it. Done it 3 times myself before I got scuppered. It was always after a week of rain and I had to dodge puddles in the shape of lakes! Will def do it in the summer again.
  • How is your leg today, Muttley?
  • Hi LL. Not much change to be honest. I'm now awaiting an MRI scan to identify the precise problem, but as the surgeon said yesterday that it's either a stress fracture or torn ligament, I have to wear an air cast till I have the scan. A good mix of tablets seems to keep me ticking along. Worst problem really is that it's not improved a lot in nearly 9 weeks, and I do still have ambitions to do some running this year! I may have to do some rehab on Sundays with your bunch in the summer.
    What time are you hoping for this Sunday? and has all your training gone well? I'll look out for you. Gotta support the club and all that.
  • I said 54mins when I entered. Could be anything really. I do all my training these days with friends of varying standards so not very focused. We ran round Richmond Park today.

My race pack has arrived.. I'm 1007 which I like - nearly a Secret Agent.

How fast will DD and CC be?

• Sorry LL, you'll never make a secret agent. You just gave yourself away! But if you have super duper jets on your shoes you could always be Inspector Gadget.
    The guys will be going around in about 44-47, unless that man thing happens and they wanna race, in which case who knows? Just look out for the blue flashing lights.
    Richmond Park is a lovely place to run and we spent many, many, many hours running around it in preparation for this FLM, but I did, can you believe, get a bit fed up of it and so devised routes which took us out of the park to Richmond, along the Thames towpath to Kingston and back to the park again to break the monotomy. I met CC one morn at 8, when it was -1, and the park was covered in a sheet of white frost and was glorious. No cars, only runners, bikers and deer. Very lazy those deer.
    Ciao for now.
  • You soon run out of park & common when marathon training. It was even worse when I was training for the London to Brighton bike ride.

Good luck to CC and DD.

• Thank you all for keeping this threat busy. See you Sunday !!

DD 

• DD. It's a thread not a threat!
    Oh yeah, dont turn up late will you! (again).
  • The return of  DD,

It's no threat DD it''s only a race mate lol.....

I've decided i'm gonna be there on Sunday and get a P.B    " that's it just made my mind up" DD I'd say you'll get a P.B also if you do the whole race not the last 5k lol... set the alarm mate remember the clocks go forward!!!!

LL,   Yeah the WCTT are great hope you have a good run also see you on Sun hopefully

See you all then Happy Running/ Limping "sorry Muttley"

• Low blow bud. Heh, that's discrimination against a temporarily disabled white male heterosexual! There has to be some law against it.
  • So I'm looking out for a skinny bloke with a limp, a fat bloke in Etam polka dots and ???

Shouldn't be too difficult!

• Excellant. That made me laugh. You got Cavey down to a tee!!!!! DD generally smells of beer and fags and looks like he's been sleeping on the floor,(probably cos he has). Cant miss him, handsome fella.
  • Well Mr Muttley,

Your not letting Thanet slip your mind are you!!!  How things stick!!!!!

• Sorry, what about Thanet? Are you referring to that vile, luminous yellow and black outfit that made you look like a gay wrestler? 'Cos I certainly will never forget that! That one old me old chum is stored in my long term memory.
    Dont mention the stick(s). This caste is bloody hard to walk in. Dangerous too! I'll let you have go on Sunday.
  • sorry lads but cant make tomorrow. I shall return soon

dd

• Not deterred by the prospect of a little rain I hope, DD?

• Well, that was a bit muddy wasn't it. Weather wasn't bad at all was it.
    So,LL how did you get on then? I looked out for you at the start, but couldn't see your number around, or did you do a cavey and forget to put your clock forward?
  • I cut it a bit fine getting to the start. I have 2 lots of friends who live on the road leading up to the start so I stopped off twice to use their loos and got to the start with 2 minutes to spare. My friends who were running said they would try and stay with me but I never looked back.

26mins at 5K with the hill behind us I  saw the glimmer of a hope of a pb. 49.20 by my watch at the finish. I never thought I'd break 50 mins and really I'm too overwhelmed to say any more.

I hope CC had a good race too.

• Excelant news a PB and breaking a big barrier too. Congratulations. CC completely missed the run as he didn't alter his clock. I rang him at 9:20 as I couldn't find him and woke him up! So the only one of the three to turn up was me, and I was the one who wasn't running! There's always the next one in the summer. Are you up for that? I should be up and running by then myself. When I start my comeback, I will look out for you on the common on Sunday's.
  • LOL! I thought you were joking about CC.

• Nah. Should have stayed in bed. At least you had a good day though.