Nike Milton Keynes Half-Marathon

Comments

• After my disaster at the NSPCC MK half late last year I've decided to come back to try this one instead this time.

Did my first marathon at the weekend but have been out for a couple of runs at pace already this week and all things considered dont feel too bad.  Not sure I'll be 100% though as legs still feel fairly tired.

If its anything like the NSPCC half I'm expecting it to be fairly twisty and a bit up and down (surprsingly so) all the way through with underpasses etc, but not hilly.

Only entered yesterday so hopefully I'll get my number before race day, as reading last years reviews the queues at enquiries sound horrific!

Good luck all!

• Hillwalker - I think the route is a tad easier than the NSPCC, less twisty as there's no canal to run along and some nice open bits of redway to do. The footbridge near the end is a bit naughty though, and there are the ups and downs of the road underpasses.

And it won't be boiling hot! If your number doesn't appear, do get there early early. The queues last year were mainly because it was a nice weather day (I did actually get sunburned but that's my fault for taking 2.5 hours) and lots of people decided to run 'on the day' and they only had one poor woman trying to sort everyone out.

• In response to Straitjacket's comment about a bottleneck at 6.5 miles:

"There is a real bottleneck at about 6 and a half miles. There is construction work  on Childs way and the underpass has hoarding underneath making it narrow. It will only allow one runner through at a time safely."

I went round the course last weekend, painting in all the arrows, mile markers, 5km points and the halfway point. There are, indeed, construction works between 6.5 and 7 miles (as there are at aound 1.5 miles and just after the 12 mile point) but, when I went through, there was room for two runners to pass through comfortably and three at a pinch - and the obstruction lasted only about 5 metres.

It could be that straitjacket passed that way during the week when work was being carried out, while I went through at the weekend when it was quiet. To make sure there are no problems on the day I have contacted the Council's Highways Department to point out the potential problem and to seek reassurance that there would be no difficulty on race day.

Mick Bromilow, Chair, Marshall Milton Keynes AC

• Ice Maiden, that one poor woman was my wife! But she was not alone, as I was with her as well. It is understandable that she would have been noticed rather than me as she is much prettier!

We were caught out last year by circumstances we were not aware of before the day:

A large number of people who has enetered late needed to pick up their chip and did not know their number in advance.

Another set of runners claimed their chips/numbers had not arrived in the post despite entering early.

Another set of runners wanted to collect T-shirts because they hadn't been delivered by post.

Another set of runners wanted to enter on the day.

Another set wanted to buy the T-shirt on the day

The previous year had been very easy and my wife coped with all the entries and the sale of T-shirts. Even with my help last year the queues got longer and longer. We sorted out the last runner at 10.25am, at which point I sprinted for the start line to coordinate the police closure of the H9.

Needless to say, we will be much better organised this year. We have moved the registration point to a much bigger area in the Berrill Building (the tall building you see in front of you as you enter the East Gate) and there will be separate desks for the different activities.

Having said that, if you do have things to collect, it makes sense to give yourself a little more time on the day to collect them.

• Hi Mick, thanks for your reply.
    I did actually run through the underpass on the Sunday morning but if you're happy that two people can pass comfortably then I am happy. (I wasn't worried anyway but thought people should be aware of it)
    Maybe I flap my arms about too much.image 

• Mick - will there be proper supervised baggage storage this year? Not just leaving bags in the hall?
  • The baggage store will be upstairs in the Berrill Building. My wife will be in the building throughout the race and the only access to the baggage area will be up the stairs in her full view.

Having said that, it is commonsense not to leave valuable items in your bags if at all possible.

Mick

•  To check whether Wednesday night's 3-miler in 23.56 (7.59 per mile) was a 'one-off',  I had another run last night.    Managed a 4-miler relatively comfortably - given that the gym was hot and humid - in 31.50 (7.58 per mile).

I always run about 20 secs a mile faster outdoors than in the gym,  so am happy that I could maintain say 7.45 - 7.50 per mile pace in say a 5 mile race.

But 13.1 miles is way different.   Getting round's not an issue.   But no idea what pace to run.   May just go out hard and slow down when necessary.   I much prefer that to starting slower and playing catch up.

Bold prediction - 1:48  

• Straitjacket - shouldn't be flapping your arms about with a name like that image

Haven't run under the work as usualyl drive over it. Often run down to Willen Lake to train though so might divert out and see what the latest is like on the underpass. at 6.5 miles,  people should be reasonably stung out anyway.

Hillwalker - I think this race is somewhat easier than the NSPCC one. It doesn't hav the same twisst and turns and really is pretty flat. There are some ups and downs to the underpasses. Not too bad but you tend to get them more (or maybe just notice them more !) during the last 5 miles. There is a sharp but short lift over a hump-back bridge over the canal near the end.

You don't get much faster than this course though so enjoy. 

• Brooks, I'll be there on Sunday for my long run and I work in Blakelands so I might check next Friday( I cycle to work).

I am sure it's fine.

• Hi does anyone know if there is much to do for spectators, I am running but my wife was considering coming along and bringing our young nephew. Judging from the map there might be only 2 or 3 points to see the race so just wondering if there are tea coffee facitilites or bits and pieces to do?
  • Our caterers are going to Open the Café in the Berrill Building and the Refectory:

In the Berrill Café we will do hot- cold drinks, bacon-sausage in a roll, confectionary 9am-1pm

In the Refectory we will do hot- cold drinks, sandwiches, salads, meat-vegetable lasagne, jackets, and confectionary 10am – 2pm

So there'll be places to stay warm during the race. There are also easy walking points from the Open University to see the runners at the 2 mile and 10 mile points (with time for refreshments in between!).

There will be displays by Nike, Lucozade and the local Land Rover car dealership

Mick
  • Thanks Mick, thats exactly the info needed, looking forward to it. 
  • Today was supposed to be a confidence boosting 'quarter marathon'  (10.55kms/6.55m).   My aim was to run it in about 54.00  (ie 50% of 1:48).

But it turned out to be a 55:51 (8.32 per mile) total disaster.   Do I blame lack of sleep last night?  Do I blame the full English brekkie lying heavy on my tum?   Do I blame the gym's heat (22C) and humidity?   Probably,  a bit of each.    Need to put this one behind me.     

Planning to run Sunday,  Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.   Then two days rest.   But will probably end up doing more and going to the Start Line tired.

• You're not alone Tim, after three good runs this week I had a crap one today, can only be a good omen....
  • Well that's me definitely outimage

Managed to collapse in a little heap this morning causing a bit of anxiety to nearest and dearest! Upshot is that lungs are distinctly unhappy and I've been banned from running for a while, so decision made.

Now, lets have a look at Bungay in April...................

Have a good race everyone

Helen

x

• Ok just back from a weeks skiing so no running but the legs have had a god work out. Doing the Winslow 10K this morning so that so give a good indication of my "speed" if thats what you can call it.

Biggest problem is going to be less support next week as my other half broke her leg!

Anyway what about a list of numbers and a wish list of finishing times?

#2178 Wine Man - 1:50:00

• Sounds good.  Hope the 10k goes well

#97 Hashette - 1:58

• The idea of returning to the gym today was to restore my battered confidence (after yesterday's disaster).  It didn't work.    "Breathless" feeling again.    Managed the 4 miles in 33.39.    (Mile splits -  8.31 / 8.25 / 8.21 / 8.22).    Only small consolation was that the pace was more even.

But I'll stay optimistic:-

#1135 Tim of MK - 1:48 

• Hi folks

Ran the Sleaford Half this morning a tougher than you think course as some of its up an undulating track called The Viking Way for about a mile plus the head wind wasn't very nice. Came in 4th in the Male Vet 50 category overall position 39th in 1:30:47, quite pleased with that result as I'm always slower at the start of the year.

Adding my name to the list:

#1442 Darkman - 1:29

• Since starting to run in 2002 (at the ripe old age of 41),  I've notched up 20 half-marathons.   These have been run in times ranging from 1:43 to 2:17.

So which am I the most proud of?   Must be the 1:43 I hear you cry.  But no.  I can't really even remember that one.

Three come to mind.

Firstly,  my first ever race.   That was the Milton Keynes Summer Half.  I managed 2:12.   I'd never run outdoors.   And never run more than 5 miles on the treadies in training.   So, the thought of 13.1 miles was quite daunting.  But I plodded around at even pace and duly collected my first medal.

Secondly,  my slowest ever race.  This was the Hillingdon Half.  I ran 2:17.   Through the half-way point in 59 minutes,  but by that time it was 30C in the shade and,  despite taking on liquids, I was dehydrating really badly.   I was tempted to pull out so many times,  but on no account wanted a "DNF" against my name.   So,  through pure strength of mind,  I kept going.    Finished in a dreadful state - burnt to a crisp.   But finish I did.

Thirdly,  pacing a girlfriend in the Milton Keynes Summer Half.   It was her first half and she was terrified.   So, seconds before the start I decided to run with her.   Her face on crossing the finish was a great memory

• Tim

Like your sentiments and like you have what I would call happy memories of some races, my fastest of just over 1:25 is a distant memory and can't remember the race at all.

First half was the scariest race at Worksop, finished in 1:42 and was absolutely kna**ered but ran all the way round without stopping the new experience of all those people running with me just blew my mind.

Next memory is the Bedford Half, last race the following year and the hardest half of all the first 9 miles basically uphill!  When I turned the corner and saw the finish line with the clock saying 1:29 and I knew I had done it and broken 90mins for a half, never forget that moment.

Last one was London Marathon 2006, first marathon and nervous as hell, despite getting cramp in both calves at 22 miles finished in 3hrs 23mins and was pleased as punch with the time.

• Had a nice steady 12mile run this morning; furthest I've run for about 6 months.  Next Sunday will be pleased with 2.10 but will likely be closer to 2.15; we'll see how it goes on the day.

#1442 Darkman - 1:29
    #1113 Troglodytes - 2:10

• #1442 Darkman - 1:29
    #1113 Troglodytes - 2:10

#856 Icemaiden - 2:15:00

• 12 miles !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    As a training run !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Just come back from doing 20 @8.21 with an average HR of 132bpm and Yes , the hoarding is still there at 6.5 miles.
    You can get two runners through at a time but not if they are racing each other.Forewarned is forearmed. I  shall see who is around me and either drop back or surge foreward( only to find that the hoarding as now gone and you can get a tank through).

• Well the Winslow 10K yesterday proved that skiing doesn't have a big effect on my running other than sorer than usual quads! 1 minute outside a PB but it was undualting and there was a bit of a breeze.

I'd recommend it for next year to anyone local as it was very well organised and friendly.

I saw your review Icemaiden - did you enjoy it?

•  Strait

Is a hoarding really such a big deal?   I can't imagine that runners of your pace will be ten-abreast after that distance.

• Straitjacket,

I also rechecked the underpass at the weekend. While it is narrower than a normal redway for about 8m, it is still wider, for example, than the short stretch of path between Willen Lake and the redway by the sluice gates at about 5.5 miles!

MickBrom

• I went through there at the weekend, I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem. If my time is slower than expected then that will undoubtedly be the problem though, delayed for several minutes by the hoarding.... sorted!