Options

Nike Milton Keynes Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    (sigh) Just look upon it as a public service.  I thought some people might like to be aware. It's not a big deal.
  • Options

Wineman - hi - yes I did *enjoy* the Winslow 10K, but wished I'd checked the profile first as I didn't do quite as big a PB as I had hoped (all of 33 secs shaved off my time), and I still want a sub 1hr. So now checking out the Silverstone 10K and the MK 10K in July as next targets for that. I thought Winslow was nice, but I don't know if it could get much bigger for club and other runners without spoiling it for locals, both those entering and those living nearby by having more folk there. One of my work colleagues lives on that road so I must find out tomorrow what the locals thought on Sunday.

Not really feeling ready for next Sunday yet...... yawn.

• Options

A PB on that course is good going Icemaiden. I would go for Silverstone for your next PB. I did it last year for the first time and ducked under 50 mins for the first time. It isn't pretty but the surface isn't bumpy! Mind you it isn't completely flat. I'm thinking of doing it again to see if I can crack this year's target of sub 47.

Sunday seems a long way off but will creep up no doubt. Just hoping for a little less heat than last year.

Anyone know what the forecast is?

• Options

Could be warm wet and windy by Sunday. ......

• Options

All part of the fun - not. 

To be honest though,  I've given up looking at weather forecasts pre-race.  They're almost always wrong.     Even if rain is predicted for a day,  it's usually not the whole day.

• Options

Dominic - you asked for things to do and refreshments.

Good response by Mick around the start / Finish and there are playing fields just across from the OU with football posts etc if you want to take a ball.

Also could go down to Willen Lake, The race passes there and there is a cafe there as well. Ducks on the lake etc. The small steam train may run on a weekend as well. Depending on age there is also the climbing centre down there. High ropes etc. Also just up from the Lake (300M) is Gulliver Land. Theme park - not huge and more for younger ones.

Also of course if they want to ignore the race altogether then go into the centre to Xscape, real snow sking, snowboarding and sledging (quite young can do the latter).

They could even go hunting for concrete cows but they are in a different part of Town image

• Options

There are now two sets of Concrete Cows on display.   The 'originals'  (complete with their Sport Relief socks - yes truly) are in the City Centre.   And the 'duplicates' are at Stacey Bushes. 

• Options

Tim - where exactlly are the originals ? They were by the Hockey stadium I believe, are they still there ?

Stacey Bushes is the permanent display - the heffers have grown up image

Actually MK has a lot of art and the concrete cows were always. Maybe the issue was because they were placed in a field. If they had been in the shopping centre, it wouldn't have been an issue I am sure.

After all I have seen (multi-coloured) cows in many European cities (I think there is some festival) and also saw bronze pigs in Adelaide last year - they were in the shopping centre.

• Options

Thought I'd check in since its been a while, and ad name and time to list.. actually target time of sub 1.40 is now maybe looking a little doubtful.. Did a 10mile in av 7.56 min/mls at the weekend but at the time didn't feel at the time I could have gone much quicker, yet I need to average 7.36 over the HM! That said, was a hilly route at the weekend and raceday adrenelin usually helps a bit...image  

Quick question for the MK 'natives'.. meeting up with some friends at the race and looking for a place for lunch after.. Don't need anything too fancy, anyone any suggestions? 

#1442 Darkman - 1:29
    #97 Hashette - 1:58
    #1135 Tim of MK - 1:48
    #1113 Troglodytes - 2:10
    #2178 Wine Man - 1:50:00

#856 Icemaiden - 2:15:00

#531 Scrabble - 1:39:59

• Options
    Don't use the motoway services thats for sure.. Good luck on Sunday... enjoy it.
  • Options
    At mile 11  there is  a Pub by  the canal which serves a carvery. Not the most salybrious place in M.K. but the food is good value.
  • Options

Scrabble,

Let me repeat what I said a little while ago about the catering arrangements at the Open University:

Our caterers are going to Open the Café in the Berrill Building and the Refectory:

In the Berrill Café we will do hot- cold drinks, bacon-sausage in a roll, confectionary 9am-1pm

In the Refectory we will do hot- cold drinks, sandwiches, salads, meat-vegetable lasagne, jackets, and confectionary 10am – 2pm

Mick
  • Options

Just for laughs.

MY FEBRUARY 2007 TRAINING -  Miles run - 133 (19 runs);    Runs over 7 miles - 15-miler, 11-miler, 16-miler and 17-miler.     Nike Half time - 1:44

MY FEBRUARY 2007 TRAINING -  Miles run - 82 (16 runs);   Runs over 7 miles - 10-miler, 2 x 8-milers.  Nike Half time -  ????

So, far less training (especially longer runs).  And I've put on the odd pound or ten.  

The 'books' would suggest that I'll be much slower than last year.  We'll see.

• Options

Thanks for info Mick, no doubt we'll partake of something from the Cafe and/or Refec.. but were also looking at somewhere for a proper meal & a pint as well, so were also after a local pub or similar.

Tim of MK wrote (see)

Just for laughs.

MY FEBRUARY 2007 TRAINING -  Miles run - 133 (19 runs);    Runs over 7 miles - 15-miler, 11-miler, 16-miler and 17-miler.     Nike Half time - 1:44

MY FEBRUARY 2008 TRAINING -  Miles run - 82 (16 runs);   Runs over 7 miles - 10-miler, 2 x 8-milers.  Nike Half time -  ????

So, far less training (especially longer runs).  And I've put on the odd pound or ten.  

The 'books' would suggest that I'll be much slower than last year.  We'll see.

Fixed ! image

• Options

Loads of restaurants at Jury's Inn area in MK not far from shopping centre - Strada, Cafe Rouge, Brasserie Blanc, Gourmet Burger plus few others and bars.

mmmm....predicted time??  Did Brighton 2 weeks ago in 2:05 and this race a year ago in 2:03 but I'm supposed to be training for flm and not 'racing' so think I will go for 2:10.

• Options
    I'm going to be bold and predict 1:40 for me which if achieved will be proof  indeed that the mid-life crisis really did have some positive benefits.
  • Options
    good,  you can come back and carry me then
  • Options
    No problem, if you wait for me in the narrow gap by the hoarding I'll be back for you just soon as I can.
  • Options
    perfect,  shall I stick a carnation between by teeth?
  • Options
    From what I understand that won't be necessary, but I suppose if you're anxious to make an impression...
  • Options

As forecast the foul weather has arrived on time and should be long gone by Sunday morning.

BBC weather forecast is 11 deg, cloudy, light winds so expect 1 deg, high winds and chucking it down lol

Last 2 years I've run this event and the weathers been ok, so expect it to be the same again this year.

• Options
    not sure how to take that!!       image

Hoping for betterish weather as all my wet weather stuff will be soaked tomorrow!
  • Options

I've put a list of all the entries on the Marshall Milton Keynes website, so you can check who is running. It's at http://mcs.open.ac.uk/mkac/08mkhalfentries.htm

2647 have pre-entered. Entries on the day cost £25.

Mick

• Options

For seasoned runners (not those starting out who are making rapid progress, but those who've been at the game a number of years), PBs usually only happen when a large number of positive factors come together (eg exceptionally well rested and nourished, flat course, ideal temperature and humidity, no wind or rain).

Despite this, many runners - and I've been as guilty as any in the past - still fall into the trap of regarding their PB speed as their target pace in every race. Hence, even in say hilly races in appauling conditions, they often cross the finish line disappointed with their times.

Taking a step back and thinking about it, this is a stupid attitude. Not least because anyone who's run say a half-marathon or a full-marathon has achieved something very special and should be celebrating their success.

So, perhaps we all should free ourselves from our self-imposed shackles of expectation and simply 'run free'.

With the above in mind, I'm binning my 1:48 prediction for Sunday's Milton Keynes Half. Now, my only target will be to have fun finishing.

• Options
    very well put Tim.

and after a 50+ mile bike on Saturday I will be glad to be able to drive Sunday let alone run
  • Options

If we all 'free ourselves of our self imposed shackles' Tim there wouldn't be a race, we'd just have 2647 people out for a Sunday morning jog... 

• Options
    You're just making excuses Meldy and you know it.
  • Options
    oh yes. yes indeedy.
  • Options

Can we wear flowers in our hair and spread good karma too!

Actually when I come to think of it my running style does remind people of a prisoner in shackles!

• Options

Aviator

I guess each of us has to examine why we enter a race.  And I'm guessing that the reason(s) will be different for everyone.

Presumably,  and please correct me if I'm wrong,  no-one on this thread has any expectation of winning.   

Also,  I assume that no-one here is that fussed about where they're placed.   That's because relative placing depends far more on the overall quality of the field than any other factor  (eg  identical times in my two upcoming halves might well place me in the top 50% at MK,  yet the top 20% at Silverstone).

Some people are aiming for a time.    But they don't need a formalised race to pursue that goal.    For example,  I know the exact distance around a local lake (measured it with a surveyor's wheel a few years back when it was my multi-loop marathon training circuit) and I've a quality stop-watch.    If I wanted to test my ability over 13.1 miles,   I could go down to this lake anytime and push myself  'to the pain barrier' over that distance.    But,  for some reason,  few if any runners do that when they're on their own.   Instead, most of us ease back a bit (distance and pace) and call it  "training".

Personally,  I used to race because a publicly-known target was an incentive to exercise regularly.  But I'm now a regular gym-bunny and don't need such a target to keep me going.   

Certainly,  races themselves aren't that enjoyable.   They're often bolldy hard work.   And I sure don't enjoy the two or three days afterwards.

For me,   I guess that its meeting fellow runners - friends old and new.   The nervous pre-race chatter and the loud back-slapping post-race banter.    Brilliant.   

I do like to 'run free'.   But then,  given that none of my gym sessions are constrained by schedules or routines,   I guess that I do that quite a lot anyway.