Options

Nike Milton Keynes Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Made it!  Unofficially 1hr 53, bit outside my 1:50 target but I came home feeling comfortable and in one piece.  Very enjoyable race, not too crowded once underway and the weather was very kind.  Great marshalling too.
  • Options
    1442 Darkman - 1:29
    #97 Hashette - 1:58
    #1135 Tim of MK - 1:48
    #1113 Troglodytes - 2:10
    #2178 Wine Man - 1:50:00
    #856 Icemaiden - 2:15:00 - unofficially 2:16:57, but still a PB image knickers to that wind though.
    #531 Scrabble - 1:39:59

#43 Melds - 2.15 ... ish! 

• Options
    DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    1442 Darkman - 1:29 - on Garmin 1:29:38 was near the front at the start so should be accurate
    #856 Icemaiden - 2:15:00 - unofficially 2:16:57, but still a PB image knickers to that wind though.

• Options
    1442 Darkman - 1:29 - on Garmin 1:29:38 was near the front at the start so should be accurate
    #1423 Aviator - 1:42 something (+ 1 1/2 hours, stood up by Melds at the hoarding) 
  • Options
    I got fed up with waiting   image

2.17 for me, must have paid cat and mouse with Ice Maiden most of the way round!     Just outside my pb but with a heavy 50 mile bike ride still in my legs from yesterday not too bad ...  that wind on the last leg back was a tad too much for me !!
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Got there quite early,  but disappointed to meet very few people pre-race.  I felt like a right old  "Larry No Mates" at times.   Nothing to do but chomp away on an enormous choccie bar (well I didn't want to fade away to nothing pre-race, did I?)

Did see Davina from my gym, which was great (especially the kiss on each cheek lol).   She was really up for the run and I'm sure will have got a good time.    Saw Jenni from Fetch heading towards the start line, but she was too far away to speak.   (I know that Jenni passed out at Finish - take care Jenni)

As to the race itself,  my MP3 started 'playing up'  from the off.   I spent the first mile and a half doing nothing but fiddle with it,   but in the end had to settle for a mono music stream through just the left ear - weird.   (Luckily,  it turned out to be the headphones that were knackered.   New pair plugged in - sorted.)

I ticked off the early miles comfortably enough.   Had an horrendous stretch into the wind somewhat after half-way -  I think along the dual-carriageway.

At the end of Mile 10,  I was still feeling good from a cardio. perspective.   And I had plenty of energy.  However,  my "short-session gym bunny" legs started complaining big time.    "You having a laugh?" they cried?   "What's happened to the 40 minutes on that nice soft rubber?".    "We can't be doing with this hard tarmac stuff".     Fair enough, I suppose.        

To humour the old legs,  I relaxed a bit in Miles 11 and 12.    Then, to the annoyance of my 'pins',  I put in a biddy bit of an 'Alpha Male' style final mile.    However,  I resisted the urge to sprint to the Finish Line.

Gratefully accepted my  (fabulous) medal and 'celebrated' finishing my 21st half-marathon since taking up running in Summer 2002.    Then,  into the warm for copious Lucozade drinks and other choccie bar (blushes).

Tired,  bit of a headache and one small blister (my fault for not strapping this 'problem' toe enough).   Legs are now totally pain-free,  but I'm sure that quads will 'hum' tomorrow.     Got to be very careful this week,   with Silverstone Half next Sunday - gulp!   

• Options

The wind from about 10 miles onwards was a killer...

Just as well I gave up and pushed off in the end then, the dahlias were wilting and I'd eaten all the milk tray anyway..image

• Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Aviator

You had Milk Tray and you didn't share.   Strawberry Cream?

• Options
    They were the first to go Tim...
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Aviator

God,  I've just got to have some now.   I'll incorporate them into next week's carb-loading for Silverstone.

• Options
    damn and buggrit ... if I'd have known you had chocolate I would have tried a bit harder

and sorry but I forgot to say I accosted Hashette at the start .. nice to put a name to a face!!
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    How did you get on Melds?
  • Options
    and I was ust reading your Berko report as well Sezz!

Not bad considering 50 miles of hills yesterday,  2.17 so two mins off my pb and on fresh legs I should have been about 2.10 I think ....  bit knackered tho

you enjoyed the hills of Berko then?image
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

I saw a girl in a  "Hashette" Fetch top at the end,  but too shy to speak.  

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

That's great considering you ran on tired legs!

I hate hills. 

• Options
    we climbed 1700 metres yesterday ... thats what you call fecking hills!!
  • Options

Unfortunately didn't see anyone I know and there were about 5 or 6 running. I even hung around the gate by the chip bins at the finish but probably left at  about 2:15 on the clock.... Last time I spent too long hanging around outside gates I was taken away in police van... 

• Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Well done MK'ers - wish I'd done this one instead of Berko image
  • Options
    then perhaps I have seen you before Aviator .. did they keep you in the nick for long??

Sounds better then Berko Mitten thats for sure!
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

I climbed up onto the bank at the Finish and spent 20 minutes watching runners come through.   It was really inspiring,  albeit a touch chilly.     

Then went down to the final corner.   Couldn't believe how many runners approached that corner jogging slowly and looking like death,   then launched into mega-sprints up the closing straight.  Mind over matter ?

• Options
    always keep something in reserve  !!
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Ran them both last year, but someone decided to put them on the same weekend this year!
  • Options

Only until the nice doctors and nurses arrived to take me home Melders....

Trying to decide whether my ageing legs have it in them to carry me to the pub now, think they probably do somehowimage....

Well done  everyone anyway, hope every one's happy with their result, it was a good day.... 

• Options

#97 Hashette - 1:58 - no fecking idea, hit stop instead of lap at mile 1, then forgot to hit stop at the endimage
    #1423 Aviator - 1:42 something (+ 1 1/2 hours, stood up by Melds at the hoarding) 

Great to meet you too Meldy. 

Tim, we follow each other around local races and I'd love to put a face to a name, next time please please give me a prod.

Just realised what I wrote.  imageHello will do fine!

• Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Hashette

I'll look forward to it. 

Thanks for that.  First time that I've actually laughed today.  

Tim the Prodder

• Options

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be after yesterday and not as good as I hoped but a couple of minutes faster than last year so a PB. I felt great until 7.5 miles and it went progressively down hill until the last mile and yes I was one of those transformed from plodder to sprinter at the end - got to put on a good show for our public!

#97 Hashette - 1:58 - no fecking idea, hit stop instead of lap at mile 1, then forgot to hit stop at the endimage
    #2178 Wine Man - 1:50:00 - 1:55:40 on my watch

• Options

Started way too fast but was bang on target a 10 miles, aiming for 2:17. Blew up over the last part and finally clocked a 2:22. Having said that Im well chuffed as my previous, abysmal, best for a half was 2:46. Just need to pace myself properly next time.

Well done to my sister who clocked a 2:06. I'm very impressed especially as her Garmin died, on the start line ! (Getting excuses in: you are 4 yrs younger than me, and on the right side of 40 !) 4:30 for London then !

Enjoyed the course. Thanks to all the marshals, Police etc. Will return, hopefully. Saw Hashette shortly after the start but being shy I didn't say hello.

Finally apologies to the lady I nearly hit at the end when I put my arm out. Running without due care and attention. image

• Options
    Has anyone tried the official race results website? It doesn't recognise my name. Anyone know if this year's results are up yet or if it is giving out last years? I know they have my name right as they shouted it as I came over the finish line,,,,
  • Options
    Results arn't up yet Liza, they're supposed to be available this evening though...  
  • Options
    Thanks Aviator, just found that on the website. For some reason I completley misread it and thought they were menat to be up this afternoon (maybe exhaustion!)