Options

Sandy 10

My must-do race of the year, partly becuase it was the first race I ever ran, so entering this one on New Year's Day seemed like a good start to the year.  

A lovely course, one short killer hill and a little one soon after it, but they're all over by mile 2.  The scenery's lovely and the atmosphere's great with some good support outside the pub in the village of Everton.

Anyone else up for this one?

Comments

• Options
    Another one on my list of usual races Hashette. So is your New Year's resolution to enter races early and start the race thread even earlier ??? image
  • Options
    Happy New Year Brooks image
  • Options
    I'm thinking of entering this as I have a half marathon soon after and thought it would be good preparation for it.  Are there any hills, I'm allergic to the big ones?
  • Options
    Jo - There is only one big hill you go up and down it both ways. There are some undulations but it is a lovely race. I wanted to do this race but it is on the same day as Paddock Wood half marathon.
  • Options

Thanks Tracey.  I think I probably will do it.  I've just entered a half today (finally).  I'm doing the White Horse Half, in Oxfordshire.  I've been faffing around for about 3 months now wondering which half to do so I've finally done it.

Where's Paddock Wood and is it your first half?

• Options
    Jo-bee - Paddock Wood is in Kent and it is not my first half. I did my first half in March 2005 at Silverstone, it was my first race.
  • Options
    Kent is a bit far for me, I live near Banbury in Oxfordshire.  That's interesting that Silverstone was your half, I almost did that one but it put me off when I was told it was running round the track only, I thought I would probably get bored with the same scenery!!
  • Options

Jo-Bee. as Tracey said there is a rasonsable drag in the 2nd mile but it is early and you getto come down it near the end. To be completely honest there is a bit of an undulation in there.

The first mile is along a flat road, you then start to climb up through the sand-hills (hence Sandy) but it does drop down a bit for a while before resuming the climb. It isn't too bad though. It is not a kilelr hill but it does drag on for about a mile and a half. By 3 miles though you are out on th flat again. Coming back you get the benefit of downhill but that undulation does mean you have a short climb in amonsg the downhill. The last mile is flat along th road to the finish.

Not the easiest 10 mile but not bad and a good run.

• Options
    Thanks for that info Brooks.  I don't mind a bit of a hill but if the course is known to be a hilly one I tend to avoid them ones!  Have only ran 10 miles once but found it surprisingly OK, thought it would be good to get this in before my half marthon but that is the folloiwng week.  Just wondering now if a week apart is too close, hmmm.........image
  • Options

If it helps, Jo-bee, the Runners World half marathon training schedule has a 9-10 mile (slow) a week prior to a half marathon race day.  You could run the Sandy 10 as part of your training schedule:  A really nice route (only one-and-a-bit teensy-weensy hills), fab marshalls and a great goody bag, to boot.  What more could you wish for!  There, I hope that's convinced you.

• Options

It is the 25th Anniversary of the Sandy 10 this year, so is going to be a special event.  To celebrate the anniversary of the race, there will be a special mementos to all finishers, with various other things happening on the day to help celebrate the event. So this year's race, should not be missed.

Over 200 runners have now entered, with more applications being received each day. So if you dont want to miss out on the race, best enter early, so you dont miss out.

• Options

Entered today so you can count me in!

This will be my first Sandy 10 and after a few years of running too. I don't really know why i've never done one before but I'm looking forward to it very much.

• Options
    Woohoo, the usual suspects are assembled image
  • Options
    I was thinking the same thing Hashette! image Hope your well!
  • Options

Over a 100 entries have been recieved this weekend, with more coming in all of the time and only 3 weeks left to go, before the 25th race and the start of the celebrations for this great race.

The marshalls will also be celebrating the race in a special way, whilst carrying out their normal duties, so if you are coming along, have a look at the marshalls, when you go past them (If you get the chance). image

• Options

Entries are approaching 500 and with just 2 weeks to go, we expect to reach our race limit, so please enter now if you would like to be part of this special "25th anniversay" race.image

• Options

<whistles where did you get that hat>image

So come on guys, spill the beans, what have you got planned?

• Options
    Your RW logo will give you a clue! And don't forget to take a good look at the marshals as you run round!
  • Options

<sneaks a webcam into Race HQ>

Have I got the right place?

http://www.discoverbedfordshire.co.uk/images/06-vineyard-pic.jpg

• Options
    What you will get, is in the picture, plus some other goodies.
  • Options
    Make sure you pour it carefully Hashette ... it's bottle conditioned!image
  • Options

Only hope there is enough left for the marshals  image

• Options

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...  Free beer.

My favourite.

• Options

Nige,

Many thanks to yourself and Biggleswade AC for organising such a smooth, slick and well organised event. An example of how an event should be manged.

Superb.

• Options

Agreed.

Good event.

Will drink beer tonight.

• Options

Loved it.  Suitably effusive feedback posted where it's supposed to be!

When I got there (late) there was some dreadful harridan giving a very hard time to two women looking after the water station at the school.  Something about people daring to (shock horror) park on the adopted highway perfectly legally outside her house.  Please tell them both thanks for being so polite (I only just refrained from chipping in!) and how much us runners appreciated them giving up their Sunday morning for us.