OOOOh

I will buy a hat

• Options

I knew it

awwwwwwwwwwwwww

Congrats

Ruth xx

• Options

ahh, excellent, congratulations.  i bet you're looking forward to that first dance.

• Options

Awww Congratulations that is great news!

• Options
    Oh excellent news ! Congrats to you both !
  • Options
    Fantastic - congratualations  image
  • Options
    Wow many many congratulations...

Was this a Christmas Day proposal?
  • Options
    Suppose we'd better get looking for another Yak!
  • Options

Congratulations you two!!

Thrilled for you! image

• Options
    congratulations.
  • Options
    "i bet you're looking forward to that first dance."

They wont be the only ones... though perhaps they could do like the Youtube video and do some sufin crazy Dirty Dancing.
  • Options
    excellent, the nation will be expecting something special from the dance floor that day.
  • Options
    congratulations to you both
  • Options

Good Heavens !!!    

I certainly wont be touching the water anywhere

congrats to the both of you x

• Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭

Good grief!!

I've lost count at the number of congratulations I' ve doled out in the past week!

fab news!!

<<<<beam>>>>

• Options
    Fab news.  All the best.
  • Options

Congratulations you two!! imageimageimage

• Options
    All the very best to the both of you
  • Options
    Congratulations! Lovely news.
  • Options

If I am left on the shelf any longer I will have to consider marrying Barlos

• Options

Hooray!  Congrats guys!!  Great news image

Abi

• Options

Congrats both of you!

You know, I bet this place has a higher marriage rate than Match.com!!!

• Options
    PS.  Don't worry M.eldy - am happily swinging my legs from my shelf  image
  • Options
    Meldy - go wash your mouth out now. 
  • Options

Many congrats have a big celebration , enjoy yourselves.

• Options
    blimey Holly - one minute meldy's considering marrying barlos, the next she's honouring firestar's bet. quick worker.

oops, i meant to say: congrats to dave & han! will all da homiez in your hood come to the wedding to give you a 21 gun salute?
  • Options
    congratulations

we hope your marriage is as long and as joyful as ours has been

best wishes

FB & Petal
  • Options
    I bet I don't get the red screen of death this time.....
  • Options
    Thankyou all so much for your kind words. Having spent the Saturday night before Xmas drunkenly agreeing with all and sundry that getting married was gay, Hannah and I had a long chat the following day and I decided to go the Pirate way and JFDI and so I asked Hannah if she would marry me.  Cue lots of tears, snot and emotions, two bottles of bubbles and a massive hangover the following day. Obviously there wasn’t a lot we could do on Christmas Eve as we had a lot to do with sorting out presents, pack for the holidays and go to Hannah’s parents and for some reason the shops were shut on Tuesday.  Boxing Day we flew to New York on a planned holiday break.  The following day we decided to walk from the hotel up 5th Avenue to Central Park and do the Museum Mile.  It was drizzling slightly and not particularly pleasant weather so before long we were looking for a distraction.     

After giving up on the enormous queue and thousands of morons at the Museum of Modern Art I suggested we went to nearby Tiffany’s as we had put it on our list of touristy things to do and it was a good reference point for ring shopping as I had no idea what to expect.  We carried on walking until Hannah stopped infront of De Beers to gaze into the window, at which point I decided to call her bluff and suggested that there was no point looking at the window display, you may as well go in and see the lot and then try some on, so we did.  Then we carried on 100 yards up the road to Tiffany’s.  So we went in there and had a glass of fizz whilst we went through their range.  At this point all of Hannah’s preconceptions of what the perfect engagement ring was went out of the window so we went back to De Beers, drank most of a bottle of Veuve and bought a fabulous ring, link below for a picture which to be honest doesn’t do the setting justice (for the girlies who need details, platinum band, diamond solitaire, brilliant cut, 1.25 carats, VVS1, colour G):

Ring
  • Options

I have to admit that I hadn’t done a lot (any) planning and hadn’t expected to feel, excuse the pun, engaged in the whole ring thing.  I had expected to spend weeks wandering around 100s of jewellers and feigning interest to the continuing exasperation of Hannah as I couldn’t see the difference between one tray of rings and the next whilst fretting about not being ripped off by dodgy dealers and trying not to looking too cheap in the process.  I didn’t expect it all to be over in a couple of hours and I didn’t expect to have had an opinion on a ring, much less to love it and not care about the price – but I am glad that I didn’t pay silly money on a carbon bike before Xmas!  So that was all good.  I just hope the credit card companies will feel the same way in a few weeks time! 

Having bought the ring I asked Hannah what we should do next but being a closet burger boy I decided to defer her very good suggestion which I shall leave to your imagination to protect Hannah’s reputation and choices of bridal colours…. as I needed to eat before doing anything else or we risked the grumpiest proposal in the history of engagements so we went for lunch, which of course ended up being a burger, where we surreptitiously transferred the ring box from Hannah’s handbag to my pocket.  After settling my belly we headed to the nearby Rockerfeller Centre, went up to the viewing platform on the Observation Deck on the 70th floor (which is referred to as “Top of the Rock”) and I asked her to marry me, gave her the rock and at the same time set a new Pirate record for the least time spent on one knee during a proposal – I claimed didn’t want to be gauche and draw attention to ourselves.   

Not quite the precision planned surprise that Zilla sprang for Spans but De Beers won’t give cash refunds so I had to be pretty certain about the answer beforehand…. 

We were met my Hannah’s father at Heathrow when we came back on New Year’s Eve so the ring had to be put away until I could get his blessing and we told my family yesterday which was wonderful news to start 2008 with. 

Now that I have a ring on her finger I presume from the precedent that has been set by certain gentlemen I can now give up pretending to train altogether and enter “proper retirement” and put even more weight on?  Particularly as having told Hannah she couldn’t call me “Hubby” yet as we aren’t yet married and it would only be a matter of time before I became “Tubby Hubby”, I am now being referred to as simply “Tubby” so there may be a change of forum name coming soon. 

We will try and sort out a venue for engagement drinks in central London, Doggetts is not currently on the shortlist, and will let you all know time and place asap – probably first or second week in February. 

ps for the single men and those who are about to propose, never try and bluff a girl about ring shopping 

pps Spans – rather than create our own wedding files and plans can we just borrow yours and change the names and the dates?