Dewsbury 10K 2008

Comments

• I'm sure Bernard will sort you in time he will be incredibly busy there was some replacements issued last year. I always undo the laces halfway and put the chip in the middle so it doesn't get in the way when you tie them up again. Also do it  night before after a bad experience running round a hotel in blind panic after realising at the last minute I hadn't put my chip on for a marathon.  Anyone care to make a prediction? I'm going for a massive PB 39:59 - aim high! 

• Have not received my number and chip yet,but am worried about where you put it!!!image All other races i have done the chip has been worn around the ankle, however, this one goes through laces, well unfortunately my trainers are 'Velcro' (sp) does this make a difference or am just being stupid?  Heres hoping for a pb!!!!image Any advice is appreciated.
  • Morning all,

got my info and chip through yesterday.

Currently trying to shake of an achilles strain that could scupper the whole thing! Pah...

Jase

• Im running this race Meltham 10k tomorrow then a week after Liverssedge half a good 3 weeks running.Does anybody know anything about the Meltham 10k Please Im entering the unknown in this one!

• I'm in for this as well, but my training has been crap over the winter, so might be only one without a PB next week image

Only got myself to blame I suppose!!

• You won't be the only one without a PB!  I have had 4 months off with injury and haven't  done much training, plus I now have a chect infection so I will be wheezing round!  My goal is to cross the finish line still standing and in one piece!
  • Weather forecast for race day is 15-24 MPH SE Winds, snow changing to rain Max 6-8 low -2 . 
  • $eamus wrote (see)
    Weather forecast for race day is 15-24 MPH SE Winds, snow changing to rain Max 6-8 low -2
    Great....lol
  • This is going to be my first proper 10k race in 4 years due to a previous back injury. I don't mind the cold weather since I'm only looking to finish no matter how long it takes me.

Getting quite nervous though as I will be one of the last people to finish.

• Idsontop, very best of luck and don't worry about being one of the last to finish.  You are obviously doing this race for yourself, not for everyone around you, so who cares how fast they are!  Just keep thinking how great it will feel to cross that finish line and enjoy yourself and the moment....you have waited 4 years for it, after all.
  • Will check BBC weather tomorrow. Can't seem to get a forecast longer than 5 days - probably Michael Fish's fault.  

• I predict sh*te weather as it's in Dewsbury image

• Idontop you wont be last its suppossed to be a lot easier race compared to others in the area.Good luck enjoy it I will

• It's lovely out there at the moment (admittedly 5 miles or so from Dewsbury). Hard to believe it will be so much worse by Sunday.

As long as the wind and snow stays away it'll be fine. At least it won't be too hot.

Last year was perfect, although after 10 minutes out of the car I had to go back for gloves as I could no longer feel my hands.

• BBC Forecast is predominantly heavy snow, maximum 2c (and as it starts at 9am and it's also predicted to freeze over saturday i reckon there will be ground frost)  21MPH SSE Winds.  Looks like PB is off then.   

• The route is fairly sheltered in parts. If the roads are gritted then ice won't be a problem. As long as your trainers have got a decent bit of grip then the wet won't affect them.
  • running in snow is OK, it's driving in it I have issues with!!
  • Running in snow sounds fun, we can pretend to be kids image
  • Just wanted to say have a good race all.

I was told today by the physio that I need another week off to cure the achilles - gutted but c'est la vie.

Next up Haweswater Half in March.

Jase

• Those annoying physios ruin everything, eh?!  PS I am one!!!!  Good luck with Haweswater Half and hope the Achille's behaves itself for you.
  • You dratted physios...

Joking aside if it wasn't for her I would never have made it to my first marathon in Paris 06.

Have a great race - Jase

• Hmmm, debating whether it's worth the drive from Derby given the weather forecast. Whilst it's sounding a little better I'm still not sure if a PB could be on the cards with 25mph winds. It is a sheltered course but not sure if there's enough shelter to counteract that?
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMH - checked out the forecast today and it says winds will be about 16 mph.  They are also from the south, so hopefully not too cold!  At least it looks like we'll keep dry.

I recognise your name from another forum (I forget which, first half marathon one maybe?  You were recovering from injury/illness then, I seem to remember.  Sounds like you're OK now image.

Looking forward to it, and hoping to get just under 60 mins (managed just under 62 mins for Leeds Abbey Dash last year, and I've done a half marathon since then).

Spag bol planned for tea tonight.

Bring it on!!  image

• Oh, I'll have a green ribbon on tomorrow (forumite ID) - if any other forumites want to attach one somewhere (!) then we'll be able to identify each other.
  • RTG - where did you see that forecast? Mine says winds gusting at 41mph so I'd just decided to ditch Dewsbury and am planning 14 miler today instead. Oh I do find decisions so difficult! I do tend to frequent the first half thread so that's probably where you've seen me. Dewsbury is a great course, just remember to work steadily on the way out and stay within yourself so you can make the most of the decline on the way back.  Good luck with the sub-60, it's a good milestone to pass!
  • RTG - I'll be there tomorrow, complete with green ribbon, if I can find it after the GNR.... I'm sure I saved it....

Got to admit the weather was putting me off, but i'll trust you on the keeping dry bit, not too bothered about the wind, but hate running in the tonking down rain!!!

I'm after a sub 60 too, managed 54.05 at the Abbey Dash, but dont think i'll be able to get a PB as my training has been rubbish over the winter, only did 15 miles in the whole of December image January was an improvement though.....

• Weather forecast I've seen says approx 20 mph southerly wind, so a little warmer than at the moment.

If you have a look at the race packs, the course is not that straight, so the odds of having a full on head wind during a full half of the race are quite high. There may be parts that are more exposed than others, but the course is also quite sheltered as its very low down and surrounded by commercial/domestic properties, so there will be some relief and shelter from the winds.

There will be a few Fetch tops on show and I'll have my Dewsbury Roadrunners vest on (93)

• Ang12Ang12 ✭✭✭

Sounds like fun!

Was hoping for a PB on this and to break 50 mins, but with the weather and no running for 2 weeks that's not likely. My aim tomorrow is to get around and then kick start training for the Sheffield half in April.

Good luck everyone. 

• Well, decision made as I've just got back from a 14 miler. I have to say that it was a beautiful day to be out running today and I really enjoyed it so I shan't feel too bad about not getting up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to come and race.

Hope the forecast is wrong and you get a lovely day for running amd lots of PB's!