Steyning Stinger Marathon

RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
So, who's going to join me for this great Spring marathon?

Comments

• <waves to Redhead>

I wish I could but the outlaws are visiting that w/eimage

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    <waves back>

Hi Caz, bring them with you and tell them they can be marshalls image
  • <joins in with the waving>

I'll be along for the half. image

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    <waves excitedly at Tiger in a waving frenzy>

Excellent!

I'd really like the weather to at least be clear this year as I couldn't see a thing through all the rain last year.
  • I am thinking about this as part of my FLM training. I would do a 20 miler on the downs anyway as a training run, so I am wondering if 26 miles, if I take it nice and steady and walk the really tough bits, might be a good training run without ruining my legs. I would like to do this as I have heard good reports, and I enjoyed runs like Beachy Head mara, Jog Shop 20, Three Forts half...

Has anyone tried this as a training run? Were you able to recover reasonably quickly to continue training?   

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Skip, yes indeed I have. Last year I used it as part of my ultra training. I did the Draycote 35 miler 2 weeks before and so just took it nice and easy, doing as you say and walking the uphills. I had no adverse effects when I got to FLM last year.

I'm doing FLM again too and I think you'll find that the off-road marathons don't leave your legs feeling as shredded as the road marathons do. In fact, I felt worse after FLM last year than I did after the Kent 50 miler (which was off-road)!
  • Thanks Redhead - I think I will give it a go. Agree about off road marathons - my legs weren't nearly as shot after Beachy Head as they were after London.
  • Have entered as I have unfinished business after last year's nightmare run left me on the brink of hypothermia due to the horrendous weather and being inadequately dressed (shorts and vest) for the conditions.

I won't back the same mistake this year, and will ensure that I have plenty of layers. A pack of huskies have also been requisitioned from the Arctic.

If you love the great outdoors, hills and plenty of mud, then this is an event that you'll  love. Hope the weather is better though!

• RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Welcome on board Grecian2000. Shorts and vest, last year? Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
  • Hi Redhead - I was shivering badly for over 6 hours after the event, and was so disorientated that I couldn't remember where my car was parked. I think the weather was pretty exceptional, but my old theory of warming up after a couple of miles has to be totally reassessed.

Plenty of hard training, and hopefully better prepared this year. A great route but always a battle against the elements and the mud. See you there!

• Hi Redhead.  I'll be there again too - loved this run last year.  Better get my entry in then. It will be good to see you again.

x

• I'll see you all for the half (it's what's on my training schedule); maybe the full in 2009;;;good luck and bring on the mud!

Cheers - HLS

p.s. does anybody know if the Rottingdean Windmill marathon is going to be back on this year; somewhen I'd like to do the Stinger, 3 Forts, Windmill and Beachy Head all in the same year..2010?

• I went and recced the route yesterday; isn't it great with some nice steep descents and long grinding climbs...oh and the odd muddy bit! Really looking forward to it now; will try and get round the course a couple more times, just to get more familiar with the descents.

Cheers - HLS

• Hi OBL! Is hubby doing the 1/2 again? Ot will be good to see you too image

HLS, I don't know about the Windmill mara. I did the 15 miler 2 years ago and wanted to do the full last year but couldn't find anything. Please could you go and check out the last descent on the marathon course as that was ghastly last year!!! I'm still amazed I didn't go flying.

Not long now image
  • Redhead - the final descents are the same on both courses...I like a challenge so will be seeing just how fast I can get down without falling base over apex (studded shoes like Walshes or NB Rx Terrains would certainly help).

Cheers -  HLS

• HLS, you are quite mad image
  • A plea for help - is there anybody going to the Stinger from Brighton who wold be willing to give me a lift. My other half has the car that day to take our eldest to his football match, so a lift would be much appreciated. Please e-mail me to make arrangements...thanks in anticipation.image

Cheers - HLS

• is this course clearly marked or do you need orientation skills?  Running, me and map reading do not mix!!
  • Dear 8iron

The race is clearly marked and we have not lost anyone yet!  You should have a map with your registration documents if you have already entered.  Or you can have a look on the Club website for really detailed instructions if you ythinka ny particular bit might be tricky.  If you have not already entered - get it in quick as the race is nearly full.

See everyone on march 2 - fingers crossed for good weather.

• Hi Redhead

No, hubby is not running at the moment. My friend who does all the marathons with me can't do it either, so it's just me this time.

I'm looking forward to it - see you there.

Have fun everyone!

• this is coming up soon for me as well

some familiar faces here image 

• Hello Too Much Water. Are you doing Draycote again? If so, I will see you there first. Steyning is a good one if you like cross country - and I do!
  • hiya one blue leg  - no not this year, i'm off to do the Meon Valley Plod instead on Sunday

cross country... hmmm sounds like fun 

• Hi TMW! I see you've added your 'real' name - are you on the pull? image
  • hiya Redhead

no that's not my real name, it's a nickname i got after i turned up at a race without any running shoes last year

• TMW

May we suggest that you bring some sort of footwear for this one. You could bring a selection for various parts of the course. I would recommend wellies, flippers, walking boots, ski's, trail shoes, trainers - probably everything except flip-flops! (I would quite like to be proved wrong on this one - I don't mind if it is as dry as a bone).

Just don't forget your shorts!!! image

• Hi all........just thought I would say hello as I have been lurking on this forum for a while. I shall be attempting this for the first time this year. Any ideas what time I should be looking at as a 4:30 road marathon runner/jogger image.
  • Hi Douglas and welcome to the thread. Glad you've decided to join in. My off-road times seem to be between 45 and 60 minutes slower than my road times (but I am very slow anyway!). A lot will depend on the weather conditions too. As you may have gathered from some of our comments, last year was DIRE (but tremendous fun) image
  • cheers OBL - trail shoes it is.

although i once forgot my shorts one day when i was due to run home from work and ran home in my boxers instead! 

• TMW - I'm not sure if that is too much information or not - funny though!

I was at the gym last year when a foreign man came in wearing jeans and got on the treadmill. An instructor tried to tell him that he could not work-out with his jeans on (he did not speak much English). So he went away, and too our amazement came back a few minutes later in his boxers. He got back on the treadmill for a while and nobody had the nerve to say anything. However, you don't want to know what happened when he started going for it on the rowing machine................... It was the first time I wished my daughter hadn't gone to the gym with me!

Let's all agree to wear shorts, or even better, longs, at Steyning.