Any newbie triathletes here?

Comments

• Hello again everyone image

Haven't posted for a bit, but still been lurking around!

Well Done on Cowman PSC, i read your race report, sounds like you had a great day!

And, Sartre Designs, well done on the 25m crawl, it can only get easier now!!

Old back injury flared up at the moment so taking it a bit easy, but still doing little bits.  At the moment swimming once a week, biking once a week (getting used to new bike image) and running (slowly!) 3 times a week.

Hope everyones training is going to plan.

*resumes lurking*

• Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the support. I am going to buy my road bike next week and I think I am going to plunge for the specialized dolce. Is this a good choice?

• Hi everyone - as PSC says - so many threads, so little time - except I woke up early today and have been reading everything in sight.

Gill - my mate has the dolche and loves it - I'm really jealous as my bike isn't women specific and it hurts my bits sometimes. image

RA - I wanted to do a bike maintenance course but hubby said not to bother as he could teach me everything I needed to know. trouble is I don't know what i need to know. so far my only bike maintenance awareness is this - please feel free to add essentials to this list!!

• putting the chain back on when it falls off (v messy)
    • oiling the chain after riding in the rain
    • washing crud off the rims after each ride
    • changing inner tubes and checking for pointy bits inside the tyres before putting it all back together
    • pumping up tyres to 90psi (not acually possible with my pump)
    • changing seat height and angle with an allen key

Er - yep that's all I know how to do - what else do I need to know??

(sorry for the long post image)

• StarfangleStarfangle ✭✭✭

Hello All, not been able to use the computer much for ages, my job changed about 6 months ago so I'm never in the office these days. Good to see some of you still on this thread. I'm still training for my first Tri (the North West Tri in September), I'm cycling to work as much as possible - it's 9 miles in heavy traffic but I'm hoping this will be good training, and I've learnt to swim a very slow freestyle and try and swim at least three times a week. I'm really struggling to fit the running in now though - the thing I started with has got left on the wayside! Anyone else having trouble?

• Hello PP - it's really hard to fit everything in I agree. I've been focusing on biking so only have time to swim once per week.
  • Gyraffe, I find being able to do maintenance on the brakes, like changing the brake pads and adjusting "brake tension" is helpful. I think being able to adjust the gears must be good too, but I can't do that either.

Must go to the running track now - Just found out that a young female club-mate of mine has run under my PB for 1500m - TAKE IT BACK!  

• fitting it in is tough.  Particularly as you start to extend the distances. 

Collective wisdom on here seems to say

(a) get up a bit earlier to train - even if you go to bed earlier as a result, you will at least have the day time for other committments such as family,
    (b) share your training plans with your nearest and dearest.  Nothing will be more irritating than seeing you dissappear out of the door all the time if no-body understands what you are doing................

Still we all know it's not easy so you will have loads of sympathy on here.

Morning all................. image

• Hi Gill, I have the Dolce and absolutely love it.

Gyraffe - a pal and I went on a basic bike maintenance course at Edinburgh Bicycle Coop for half a day (good value at only £16), In addition to what you mention, we covered mending a broken chain with a chain-splitter thingy, adjusting gears and brakes ( I wasn't v good at gear bit and would still still hestitate to do on my own bike), Otherwise you pretty much seem to have the basics covered.

I'm assuming that's a hybrid you have pumped up to 90 psi?  About the best bit of bike kit we have bought is a cheapo track pump, it has a gauge and makes life so much easier!

• best bit of kit I ever brought was a tube of lock-tite.  1 drop on the threads of all the critical bolts and they will never rattle loose. image (was prompted to do this after I had lost 2 x cleats due to vibration rattling the screws out)!

Off running now - have a good day/race/whatever you are up to today everyone...

• Thanks for the advice! Went to bed last night like some real saddo with my Triathlon 220 for a leisurely read. Swim session went well last night. I have invested in swimming lessons every Fri to improve my freestyle technique and after only 6 weeks its really paid off! Right running sorted, swim sorted, next its the bike!!!!   Great fun though can't wait!!!
  • hi everyone im also a newbie looking for advice. i want to do and ironman next year (2009) and i have lots of time on my hands (collage courses dont start till september) i can swim ok short distances i can swim about 1m per second but longer distences im very slow (i learnt to swim 8 years ago but rarely ever go swiming as i live in a village with no swimming pool) cycling is ok i can average 10-15 mph and running is poor (i started running less than a week ago but i can run 2-2 1/2miles without stoping)
  • Hiya me125............... come and join us at Ironman Switzerland - July 14th 2009.  Entries open Sunday night.  You will be with loads of Pirates and Pirate Supporters - it will be a blast. 

YOur swimming sounds OK - with training that will be fine. Cycling is the key discipline.  You need to be averaging about 14mph over the full distance to make the cut off (I think that's right) and then the run is a run/walk to the end assuming of course that you want to just about make the cut offs.  So start training now - in one year today you will be an Ironman! image  (heavily caveated with the warning that I've only done half the full distance so far)!! LOL

Get your name on the list on the IMCH 09 thread  and see you there.

• hi pit stop thats sounds great how much do you reckon it will cost?

• Me125

entry will be abour £300.00 then you need travel £200, accomodation £200.00, the rest depends on whether you have a bike etc, the minimum for IMCH is likely to be £1,000.00 but if you were to buy a new bike and all new gear you could easily spend in excess of £5,000.00.

There are plenty of reasons to spend money on new bikes, wheels, kit etcimage

• ok thanks JPenno i only have a moutain bike but i maybe able to borrow a racing/road bike from a friend and i guess i have to start saving then lol
  • an entry level bike will statrt you off at £4-500.  If you win the lottery then the sky is the limit on cost.  It is possible to do tri on a shoestring - my wife insists on it image 

BTW - If anyone wants to buy my Honda VFR then I might be able to afford a decent TT bike image

• £400-£500 doesnt sound too bad coz i should be getting ema (£30 per week) when i start collage in sept plus i can get a part time job and i live with my parents at the moment so i dont have bills to worry about so i should easily be able to get the money together... hopefully!
  • ME125, er, you may already know this but Tri UK do triathlon packages of Bike/Pedals/Helmet/Cycling Shoes/Wetsuit/Tri-Suit/Goggles or something like that, starting at £500, which would seem to get you almost everything you need to spend money on except race entry.
  • yeah i did hear that sum where else but i had compleatly forgotten bout it so thanks for the reminder im going to check it out now
  • Hi everyone and welcome to me125

I'm absolutely kn@ckered as I spent yesterday evening helping set up our local standard distance tri (I would like to add as the *5th* discipline lugging metal barriers around and building up bike A-frames!) and then today body marking image followed by marshalling out on the bike course. Now I remember why I took up triathlon - in someways it's almost as much effort marshalling as doing the event! I'm definitely fired up for something longer than a sprint next year (but not a whole IM for lots of reasons)! I found myself drooling over some gorgeous bikes!

Gyraffe - I too have got an OH who is (or was) a bike fiend and who could teach me everything I need to know. But I found that when it came down to it he found it very difficult not to take the spanner/whatever off me and finish the job off himself, so I wouldn't *really* learn. The great thing about the course is that even if the tutor shows us how to do something he will then un-do it and makes us do it all ourselves on our own bikes! The course is 3 sessions long 1) wheel removal (back wheel) tyre and inner tube removal, puncture detection (fortunately we used someone else's inner tube for that bit) puncture repair and wheel re-assembly. 2) Brakes - checking, adjusting, changing break-pads etc 3) gears - not sure what - that's next week.

I've got a run planned for tomorrow morning, but not much else. I hope everyone's training is going ok,

• Hey everyone image

Well done for marshalling RA, sounds like it was a hard work as racing!!

Hello me125, i'm new here too, tho sounds like you're cycling is waaay better than mine image !

I think i can do everything thats on the bike maintenance list that someone posted, apart from gear type stuff, but i think i can fix a puncture so thats ok!

Also running tomorrow, and may go out on the bike depending on how my back is, if its ok then i'll go on the horse instead!!

hope everyone is ok

• StarfangleStarfangle ✭✭✭

Wow me 125! I'm nervous just doing my first Sprint - but to start with the IMCH! Must be the madness of youth! ... Those were the days!

Gyraffe, Annie, Bike know-how sounds a brilliant idea, I'm dreading getting my first puncture on the way to work (probably somewhere on Tower Bridge!image) it would be a good thing to be able to get going again with as little fuss as possible.image 

• That £500 package from Tri UK does seem good! Is it good enough for IM?

WETSUIT: Foor Quantum RRP £99.99
    TRISUIT: Craft Race Suit RRP £60.00#colour may change from that shown
    BIKE: Giant SCR 3 RRP £465.00
    HELMET: Met Scatto or Giro Transfer RRP £29.99#colour may change from that shown
    PEDALS: Outland clipless (look compatible) or spdsl RRP £39.99
    GOGGLES: Aquasphere kaiman goggles RRP £9.99#colour may change from that shown
    CYCLE SHOES: Cannondale R1000 RRP £69.99

I was tempted to get the Giant SCR anyway as my bike so I would get quite a bit of extra kit for not a lot of money, what do you think?
  • looks pretty good to me.  You will probably have to add another £200 on top for bits and bobs (bike pump, track pump. bottle cages, bottles, puncture kit, saddle bag, clipless pedals and cleats, gloves, over-boots, water proof jacket, etc),

If you want to add clothes to the list they are expensive; go to Aldi and check out their cycling gear for training purposes - it's cheap as chips and seems to do the job.

• thanks for the advice PSC! sorry for a complete novice question.. but does the bike in tha package come with clipless pedals allready? Or are the ones you're talking about different? (I have  a LOT to learn about bikes!!!) .. *heads over to numpty bike thread*
  • Normally local bikes shops (LBS) sell bikes without pedals, or with flats so that you can choose the pedals of your liking.  It'w worth checking.  They are not that expensive (about £35), but on top of everything else if you can talk them into the package then it will be to your benefit.  (Statement of the bleedin obvious)...

Not wishing to scare the bezesus out of anyone, but here is an example of the range of pedals available.  I've got Look Keo's and they are fine - cost me £30. You should steer away from MTB pedals as they are too small and you will get a hot spot under your foot when you go longer distance (apparently).

• PSC you're starting to sound like a right bike ponce!! image

Thanks for all the maintenance tips - I guess knowing a little something about the brakes and gears would make sense now you come to mention it.  I was also wondering if there was a good book on the subject. I might have a look around - any recommendations on here?

Erm tyre pressure - what should it actually be for a road bike?

• Oh God, I must stop.  I'm certainly no ponce, although have learnt a lot in the last year from the true ponces on here image

Waff what is the min and max printed on the tyre - each manufacturer/type of tyre is different.  There is also mixed messages on how much diference pressure really makes to speed/grip.  I run my tyres at 115PSI (they are Specialized Conti Pros) but my previous tyres (Vitoria something or other) I ran slightly harder at about 120PSI. 

Re books - I've found all the answers I needed so far in the Haynes Bike Book although some people don't like the book for some reason.  There are also some excellent websites around and everytime someone posts a link I fail to bookmark it image

• Pit Stop Crew wrote (see)

You should steer away from MTB pedals as they are too small and you will get a hot spot under your foot when you go longer distance (apparently).

That is interesting PSC.  Not something I would have thought about but can see it makes sense.

<thinks twice about using new speedplay pedals for IMCH!>

• Gyraffe,

The book I like (I've got through 1 copy and OH has got through 2 copies!!) is Richard's Bicycle Book by Richard Ballantine - it is a mixture of maintenance manual and other stuff. Our copies are quite old and I just had a quick look on amazon - it would appear there are now three different versions out there! So you might have to have a look and see which is best for what you want.

Tyre pressure - doesn't it normally say on the tyre what the (max) pressure for that tyre should be? (Although I did have to have the bike tutor pointing it out to me!)

8 mile run done this morning and now I'm battling with a gooseberry bush to rescue the gooseberries so I can actually use them this year!

Hmm - road bikes and clipless pedals: that is definitely a 2009 challenge. Everytime I mention it to OH he just rolls his eyes! I am thinking of compromising and getting some clips for my hybrid just to get a bit more power out of my legs. What do you think folks - is it worth doing?