Options

Any newbie triathletes here?

Comments

• Options

Debbo - by my reckoning we did 14 miles in just over an hour with a couple of short stops either to re-group or to have stuff explained to us. It was pretty flat: Dalkeith -> Wallyford -> Musselburgh and back.

I've no idea about actual speeds though as that would require a bike computer and I have quite enough to do remaining upright without playing with another gizmo!! In terms of physical effort it was fine; in terms of concentration and co-ordination I was right at the edge of my comfort zone!!

Are you doing the city of Edinburgh 10k? (And has BtS recovered from this evening's run yet?!)

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

I thought the city of edinburgh 10k had been and gone? or is this another one

I will try and come to a saturday session, but I'm away the saturday after, and the one after that too

I think he's recovered - just!

• Options
    This is the "Scottish Gas City of Edinburgh 10k" - it's on 10th August and is at our end of town (Granton to Cramond and back). Details here.
  • Options

Hello all image

Sorry, I have been a bit of a stranger, but been fell running and racing after Stratford Tri and have not done much that is remotely tri related, as I was injured for Hereford Tri and had to bin the race image

Have an off road sprint coming up though on 9 August, so going out on the bike tonight for about an hour to start clocking some bike miles again. I don't swim, so no difference there, other than  a missed 400 metre swim during Hereford Tri, but I doubt that would have made much difference image

How is everyone else getting on?

• Options

Hi All

Been a while, sounds like everyone is doing some great training!

Am sitting here trying to decide whether to do Thame on Sunday, Buggerlugs, have only got until tomorrow to enter! Suppose I should, having loved the last tri so much. At least I could catch up with family and friends up that way as well.

Stevie, I am also training for an October marathon (which one are you doing?) as well as tri training, and having had several injuries in the last year I'm finding that the cross training really helps. I run four times a week, and time will tell if this is enough. I fit the swimming, cycling and gym around the running schedule, and I am lucky that I have a lot of annual leave so this time of year is great for training! 

• Options

Lame again, I'm running the Dublin marathon in October - how about you?

Hoping to book myself into a couple of shorter tris this year, and then into full training next year as I've just signed up for Switzerland IM - umm.  The couple of shorter tris this year, as I currently have no tri experience whatsoever...

I was on the 5 days a week running plan, but I'm going to drop that down to 4 a week too, and aim for 2 or 3 swims, and 2 cycles (one in gym, yes i know, and one longer on the roads)... will see how that goes. 

• Options

well done Stevie, you have mail... image

now get on the kit thread!  image

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    RA - it says it's on the 3rd on the link?  I'm away that weekend, at the double IM
  • Options
    Steive, that sounds like a good plan. I struggle mainly to fit the cycling in, because I am a bit 'traffic shy' as well. I usually manage two swims and gyms a week as well as the running, which I never thought I would do! I am also doing shorter tris, before attempting open water probably next year. Not sure I'm ready to sign up for IM though! I'm doing Abingdon mara, a week before Dublin I think.
  • Options

Do'oh Deboo! I *knew* it was the 3rd (honest!) My brain is fried cos I have to keep remembering to keep the weekend of10th free for my niece's wedding. I take it you are strictly spectating at the double IM?

Hi again Hanneke - I'm glad to hear you haven't given up on triathlon all together. I keep seeing some great off-road duathlons that would be right up your street: but alas they are mainly in the highlands!

J-lard - sounds like we think along the same lines. I've got OW swimming down as one of my things for next year (I tried it once this year - but with a borrowed wetsuit that was too big it was freezing!) I may go up as far as half IM next year (Debbo - have you ever done Orkney? If so, what's it like?) but IM is just a step to far for me!

• Options
    Ohhh, off road duathlons sound fab RA image I think they do some around here as well, must keep my eyes open image
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    RA - oh yes, strictly spectating - but I'll do some training too of course
  • Options

Ouch - I am hurting image.  Did my first 10 mile bike TT.  Managed an average 19.3mph, but the first half gave me false hope; Managed it in just over 14 minutes, then I turned around and hit a wall of wind and forgot that when you have nice downhill sections they tend to go up the other way image

Pleased with myself though because in total riding from work, doing the TT and riding home came to 26.5 miles, which is the most I've done in ages. 

Straight to and from work tomorrow on bike because I've got my second encounter with Cardiff Tri, maybe I'll do some more swimming and less talking this week!

• Options

Sorry for killing the thread after 7 months image

Maybe someone will say hi soon image

• Options

image Hi...

Seriously, well done Alan, brave man - was this a cycling club TT?

• Options

image Hi...

Yes it was with Ajax cycling club sluggie, although of the 19 riders there was a mixture of clubs including Cardiff Tri.  I was quite nervous but they were all nice and I rode most of the way home with a few of them, which was my first group cycling experience. 

• Options

Hi,

Sounds good Alan - Cancellara might be watching his back! I gotta get on my bike next week -  Tri club's not that active over the summer: I can always swim and I can do extra running with the AC but cycling's where I'm least motivated.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Hi, Alan. Evening all. I'm not running until I see the  doc ',on Monday, about my foot.. Whatever it is, I know  there's going to be no running for a while...So, I'm not doing the Half I'd planned for September but concentrating on the swimming and biking for the Tri in October. * No advance on my 1- length crawl but my stamina's OK so I'm up to a mile on my breast-stroke. Painfully slow, though...*

I'm enjoying your training, vicariously. image

Any further thoughts on the pub-lunch* and Balerno cycle* RA?

• Options

Evening all - and don't worry Alan, you have to try alot harder than that to kill this thread!

Shhh - don't tell anyone, but I thinking I'm beginning to enjoy this group cycling lark! 14 of us turned up for the numpty ride this morning and it was great fun. We got a proper chain-gang going a couple of times and it was quite exciting. It leaves my brain fried as I have to concentrate so hard though!

ATM - I'll put an email out tomorrow to try and get a date for the first cycle route recce. What's the story with your foot - I don't remember you mentioning it before?

Rest day tomorrow - and I could do with it. Hope everyone's having a great weekend.

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Don't know, RA. * Blocking out signals...* I think it's plantar fasciitis..Every now and then , it's just excruciating. It's like...errm...a contraction. Once the pain starts, it has to run its course and then it's gone. I haven't run for a week.

My group rides haven''t been as big or as tight as you describe. I think I know what you mean about your brain, though. I miss the scenery,watching all the wheels.. I'm enjoying being in the water more. I'd get on better if I wasn't ' fighting' it when I'm attempting the crawl. Must relax into it..image

It's lovely and balmy, up here. Should be nice, tomorrow. Happy swimming/ biking/running/resting/everybody.

• Options

Happy Birthday ATM image!!!

Email on its way about Balerno. Oh and good luck at the docs - I really hope it isn't PF. Stupid question: would you be better cutting out the middle man and going straight to a sports physo rather than a GP? Just a thought.

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    ATM
    I too recently thought I had PF. Trained at 60 mpw for FLM no probs, started riding a road bike (for first time) and running lots less, and got a real sore arch/heel thing.

I reckon the bike caused it – due to the pedals/shoes. Golf ball rolling and calf stretching helps, but I’m now riding more with a higher cadence (90-100) and am toughening up, try not to muscle the pedals round esp on hills and into the wind.

At one point it hurt so much I couldn’t run off the bike, but its improving nicely now. Ran 11 miles y’day and it was ok, and did 20M on the bike straight into 5M run on Saturday too.

After last weeks Chichester debut went ok (ish) I’ve just entered a second tri (at Southampton) in 4 weeks time.

• Options

Message for ATM......................

happy birthday image

Isn't Fetch wonderful for things like this image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Thanks, all , for the birthday wishes. It's been a great day. image Looks like I'm getting a road bike...my first . Must go and read everything on the numpty bike thread ...

I was very interested in your post TR because that's the scenario for my injury. The good news( I think ) is that the Doc doesn't think it's PF. He had a fair old poke around and thinks it's an arch problem . He wants me to try  supports for 2/3 weeks and, if there's no improvement, he'll send me for a biomechanical analysis. I'll try your exercises. Can't do any harm.

Today's Top Tip. Wear sunblock. Arghh..I wish I had. How could I have been that stupid?

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    ATM

Biomechanical analysis my Arse !

I reckon you, like me need to HTFU !

Golf ball-rolling and massaging the foot. Calf stretches and one legged squats. But basically spin the pedals faster even on climbs and into the wind. Mine hurt lots at first and now it doesnt.

You could also ensure that your knee is in th right position over your pedals on the bike, and your cleats are in the right place.

But in short, up the cadence and HTFU !
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    * Daren't ask TR to explain the acronym...*image I'm off to find a golf ball...
  • Options
    JFDI is the other one you need to know image
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    tee hee psc
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can