Options

Any newbie triathletes here?

Comments

• Options

I don't know what HTFU is.  I think I can work out TFU but what's the H???

(Hello everyone image)

• Options

I think H means Hurry.

I found JFDI worked on my 20 mile run this morning.  Was slowing down at around 15 miles, with work only a mile away was considering cutting it short, thankfully saying JFDI helped me along for another few miles!

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing' harden'...? Tell us, TR. image * I'm not hurrying, hardening or anything else this afternoon...Just staring at my new bike...*
  • Options
    it is harden.... There is a brilliant uTube clip of it.  Can't do clips from work, but it is quite funny. 
  • Options

little tri in the morning...  I'm not sure yet I'm looking forward to it...  image

hope the weather holds...

p.s. I changed my first tyre yesterday image

• Options

ATM are you going to take swimming lessons?

I think your efforts would be better spent learning to FC instead of building distance in BS?

• Options
    Pit Stop Crew wrote (see)
    it is harden.... There is a brilliant uTube clip of it.  Can't do clips from work, but it is quite funny. 
    Thanks PSC, harden definitely sounds more Pirate than hurry!  I'll have a look out for the clips at home tonight.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I think you're right Nam. I am taking lessons but have yet to get into any kind of sustainable pattern with the FC.Each element of the stroke is improving but when I put them all together...image I'm limiting my FC efforts to 2 x 30 mins a week , because after that I'm too knackered to make any progress, but I may up that shortly. *In addition, I'm increasing my BS distance just for endurance and stamina and to keep me motivated in my FC efforts. *Thinking back, can you remember how long it took you to ' crack' FC? I mean to swim several lengths without making a huge physical effort  that's out of proportion to the result.

Is anyone else at the same stage as me...errr...Beginner...with FC? Any tips?

I watched the clip. LOL

• Options

I was petrified of FC!! image

The thought of face in water did not appeal...  I had a hear rate in the pool that I couldn't achieve running up hills!!!!

I initially joined my local tri club cos 3 swims with them was cheaper than swimming at my local leisure centre...  Although I initially felt pressured being the numpty in a group environment I would do the drills best I could and then the "consolidation" of the learning would come when I swam on my own...  that's when I would try different things, see what feels right etc.  I eventuallly changed gyms to one with a pool (I'm lucky I have one ith a 50m pool) so I can swim when I want to. 

I used my pull buoy LOADS at the beginning.  It helped me build upper body strength that I didn't have and helped memorise a good position in the water, helped me to stop drag my legs and allowed me to concentrate on getting the stroke right.

I have good days and bad days... some days I struggle with 500m and just can't get into it... two days ago I did 4k...  go figure...

I struggled for a little while to get past 4 lengths, but basically I just needed to slow down and relax.

I changed my membership to the club with the pool 3 months ago...  I think I started swimming FC in April... doing my first couple of lengths.

Keep at it you'll get sudden break throughs where it just falls into place...

I haven't bothered doing any BS as whatever endurance I had in BS made no difference whatsoever in FC.

• Options
    ps have you ever tried swimming with your eyes closed?  works wonders for me.  image
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Not tried the closed eyes thing...but I will. *On the few occasions when everything felt right...and we're only talking a few pulls, here... I know I had relaxed into it. And as soon as I started thinking about what I was doing, it all went to H***  Closed eyes might just help...*

Just back from a spin on my new bike image Excitement overload.* I don't get out much...*

• Options
    oohh new bike??  Come on let's see?  What have you got?  image
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

It's a Giant   *Actually, it's an SCRw 3 frame but upgraded to the spec of a 2.  So it's blue image * I've had extra brakes added to the middle of the handlebars, 'til I get the hang of all this...I now think I could have managed without them...and I'm not going clipless. yet, so the pedals will be changed in due course. I've been riding a huge Landrover MB so this one feels like a feather...Now, I need to brave the main roads.The roads I usually ride will knacker the wheels.And I need to learn to change a tube! Bike maintenance class starts next week.

• Options

oooh that bike is the same as the one i am going to 'look' at tomorrow. I know I wont be able to resist buying it.

is it daft to get a trisuit cos it makes me look slim?  I have tried shorts and a bra but I do look horrifically plump due to ginormous child bearing hips. For some reason a multicoloured trisuit makes me look soooo much slimmer but as a total novice just about to do my second EVER tri - is a suit a bit hard core?

• Options
    as long as you don't want to stop for a pee...
  • Options
    ah well it's such a short tri that, 'that' will not be an issue. It only took me just over an hour last time and this time I am hoping for under (got to lose 5 mins - which will ALL be on the bike as I had a fast swim and a fast run but a slow cycle).
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

Buy the suit. You'll feel good and, therefore, do better image Prance around a bit and enjoy feeling svelte. Why not?

• Options
    LOL  Thanks for the vote of confidence. 
  • Options

If you buy nothing else buy the suit!

I've got last years SCR2 and it has been an excellent bike. It has survived the miles well. 

• Options

Very quick race report. 

Biblical downpour!!  after spectacular 4k swim midweek, in the race today I did exactly what I predicted, which was... panic, hyperventilate and swim like a drowning puppy!!!!!!!!  I have to work on that...  Clearly I can swim but the nerves just got to me.

Loved the bike (off road race) and was covered in mud.  Puddles were always a gamble as to how deep they were when you couldn't get around them... At some stage I was up to the bottom bit of my rear derailleur in mud.

Also enjoyed the run (off road) including where I had to hang onto a branch where the path was crumbling into the stream.  Overall efforts to change gait are paying off.

Hugely disappointed with swim but otherwise ok.  image

Was fecking wet though!!!

• Options

Nam - was that the Cymmer off Road?  Sounds good!

Did you do the the Gower one? It was sold out by the time I got round to it image

• Options

Yes it was Cymmer.  I missed the boat for Gower Tri too.  Sold out really quickly.

Can't believe how badly I bolloxed up the swim.  The pool was soooo warm, it was like swimming in a jaccuzzi.  I hated every minute of it and just could not breathe...

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

OOoooo, that's good to hear, SLAW...about the bike.

Sounds like you had a great time, Nam, and learned a lot. *I thought I'd dreamed your post about swimming 4k. That's wonderful! You can definitely swim. It must just have been nerves..and swimming in warm water is horrible. * Your mud bath would have cost a bomb at a spa.image

It's pouring, here, and I'm unhappy at the thought of taking my new bike out in it. Maybe, it'll be summer tomorrow morning....

Anywhere near me, GA? Should we look for a slip-of-a-girl in a trisuit at Balerno?

• Options

Tomorrow is a bit nicer apparently.  image

Yes, live and learn.  I swam like I did 2 months ago...  I was thinking "who am I trying to kid about me doing an Ironman"...it really knocked my confidence... image  I guess I just have to get a few more good swims in and just practice race situations.  I have another one in 3 weeks.  Proper sprint this time... and road race not off road.

• Options
    ATM - it's in Hamilton.  Not a 'slip' of a girl but thanks for that it made me smile!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

I'm still thinking about your 4k.. Fab!  A Road Race tri will be much easier and you won't hyperventilate the next time.You've done that. And you are going to do an Ironman. No way all that yellow lycra's going to waste. image

GA, I'm very tempted to wear my trisuit on my bike run...just for the fun of it. Well, have to make our own amusement out here in the sticks... 

• Options

ATM you wear your tri suit with pride!!! image

Still thinking about the crap swim... wondering if I'm the only one who thought the temperature was like swimming in bath water...  image  my normal pool is quite cold... but you're right lets not let the yellow lycra go to waste.  image

• Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭

* Me, wearing trisuit , with pride,in Brazilian mode* Look! Doesn't my bum look big in this!'

* Please, no angry postings about reducing anyone to a national stereotype image or mean, violent ,drunken Scot will have to apologise...again.*

I think water temperature does have an effect. Even I notice that and I'm completely c*** at swimming.

• Options
    LOL, I was thinking of something else when you mentioned Brazilian...  imageimage