Any newbie triathletes here?

Comments

• oh no!!!!!!!! totp.... image
  • ATM - where are you then?  Sounds like you are in chilly jocko land somewhere.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

I'm in Ayrshire.I used to miss Glasgow, passionately, but now really appreciate living in the countryside..And the cycle path on the A77 let me do 59k this morning on a good surface . Passed 2 other cyclists. Apart from them, it was empty...All the car traffic's on the new road: the old road, with the path, is deserted.

At  my front door,there are  endless miles of lovely , empty, roads to bike on but the surfaces really call for a MB. I'm going to have to go on main roads, down to Irvine/Troon/Ayr etc on the road bike....And, despite the condition of some part's of the island's roads, I intend to take it round Arran. * lol..Actually, twice round Arran non-stop is what I'm aiming at. Being able to do that seems quite  along way off..*

Must get some cycle shorts, though. image Today's ride was my first experience of a road bike..My b** is numb.

• Wow that sounds fab. I would love to start cycling to work but am fearful of making about 1 mile before some plonker on a mobile knocks me off.  Roads round here are rotten - pitted, completely done in at the kerb and the traffic seems to revel in speeding and weaving about. I have no idea how I am going to rack up decent mileage.   No riding for me at all today - ran 12 miles this morning so that will have to do. I have been seriously neglecting my running in my new found enthusiasm for swimming and cycling and it is starting to show. Today was the slowest run I have done in about a year!! 
  • I swim 3x a week.  Twice in a normal temp pool and once in one which takes your breath away!  Oddly I always feel faster in the cold one.  Definitely better!
  • I much prefer to swim in colder water.  The tri pool yesterday was like bath water and it almost choked me.  Horrible.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Will I ever swim more than 1 length front crawl? image Can I be right in thinking  I'm getting' better' when I still can't get up the b***** pool???? Ah, if only I could photosynthesize...

Just venting.

• ATM have you had any lessons?  I am trying to get my husband to join me in the tri thing and he is not the best FC'er  and so I have talked him into getting some lessons (our kids are getting them at the moment anyway).  Yesterday he had his first and already there is a big improvement.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Yes, GA. I've had 3 and will be taking more. I'm at the ' understand all the theory but can't put it all together' stage..and have been for more than a month image I'm hoping that it will' click'...soon..
  • Hi all,

hope you dont mind me joining this thread but am considering trying a Triathlon. I have been running on & off for the past 2 years but due to injury havent run for a couple of months but getting better!. Ive been cycling on my mountain bike on a regular basis & been to spinning classes to keep my fitness level up and have really enjoyed it and I can swim (use to swim for a club in my teens). My exercising is more to keep fit & try to lose weight so im not really hard core if you get what i mean but i like to set my self a new challenge now & then so i dont get bored. How do I get involved in triathlons on more of a fun /beginner  level?

Hope to hear from any of you

Vanessa

• atm - I took up swimming 2 years ago and when I started I was totally useless.  Equally as bad as some people say they are on here!  I found initally that improvements felt like they were slow coming but after a few months I had improved beyond belief.  I found that I was trying to make changes based on things I'd read or my coach suggested.  It is easy to know what to do but much more difficult to make these changes part of your natural image stroke. 

A month after I rebegan swimming I did a tri and swam 400m in about 15 mins, having had a freak out doing FC on the first length!  6 months after that I'd got down to about 9.00 and after another 6 months to about 8.00.  Obviously now improvements are more difficult and another 12 months on I'm at about 7.25 for 400m.  My butterfly is getting pretty decent too!

The point to my waffle is that for most of us improving swimming is a lengthy process. (I don't swim FC exclusively as I swim with a swim club so all of my strokes have improved.) I've put a lot into improving and swim 2 coached sessions a week and do an uncoached session as well.  If you want to do well at it persevere - it does come with time and effort and you will see improvements. 

• The Crap Swimmers thread is useful too.

IronWolf posts her swim sets and this might give you an idea of where you'll end up if you get into swimming with a tri club or masters group.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Thanks ,SLAW. Time and effort it is then...image And I'm off to read the Crap Swimmers thread...

Hello, nessywood. I'm a real beginner so can't offer any advice .But welcome to the thread. Someone will be along in a minute with some sensible suggestions image 

• Hi all,

Just a flying visit as I'm on holiday this week image! Shame it's been p****ing it down most of the time!

ATM - I am soooo jealous of your road bike - it looks gorgeous! A new bike is definitely fairly high on my shopping list, but it'll have to wait a while. Why did I take up this sport *after* I'd given up my sensible job and gone back to being a broke student image. Also - don't lose heart with the swimming it *will* come together. I'll try and find a copy of the swimming plan that I used and email it to you. It was great, it started out with doing just one (25m) length, recovering for 30s and then repeating, and then went on from there. It might take me a while to find the plan though - so don't hold your breath!

Messywood whereabouts are you? There are quite a few "Try-a-tri" type events around the country that are really beginner friendly, I think that is how most folk start. I managed to talk a group of friends into doing a try-a-tri and we had such fun that we've all carried on.

• Evening folks.  Double spin done and dusted...  Pasta on the boil.  image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

I did two...yes,2!..lengths, today. Eat your heart out Rebecca Adlington ... image * I'd love that plan RA. My 2 lengths weren't even consecutive...and the 'holding the breath' thing is a bit of an issue...*

nessywood, is this any help?

• AtM & Rusty Annie, thanks! Looks like im too late for any events this year but will keep my eye out for a try a tri event!

• Hi All - hope you dont mind me posting on here.  My background is running, love 10ks, but now into marathons - done London this year and last and went to Canada to run an autmum marathon in Toronto last year.  currently training for Dublin marathon at end of October.  However, having bought a Giant bike this summer I am now expanding my horizons.  I have done 6 duathlons (a friendly non competitive local tri club series) and my aim now is a Olympic distance tri next summer. 

Live in North Lincolnshire, and we are staying with relatives in Scotland over August bank holiday - two weeks time and I couldnt believe my luck when I spotted a tri in Banff near Aberdenn - just where we are going.  Too good an opportunity to miss.  It is 750 pool swim, 21km bike, 5k run.  Think it is part of a series of races - dont suppose anyone has done/heard about it.  Looked at previous years results and all being well I shouldnt come last... or first!  My biggest concern is what to wear?  I will swim in an addidas tankini - to all those men - that is a pair of shorts and a vest type top with underneath support.  I was then planning on biking and running in this - hubbie thinks I should cover up! 

Any advice on what to wear - what is the norm for women in such events would be greatly appreciated.

• Having such wide experience - not - at the one and only event that I have paricipated in.

Women wore - cossies then stuck t-shirts and shorts over the top.

- tri shorts and tri tops

Tri shorts and bra then stuck top over for the bike and run

tri suits.

So a huge mixture. The guys were the same - everything from speedos that were then covered by shorts and a top - to tri shorts and those little half top things they wear.  No-one though ran round in a biking/tankini combo or their swimming costume but it was a very small event and maybe they do that more at the bigger events.  i would have though you would be bloomming freezzing in Banff without a top or something over your tankini.

• Julie,

I did a sprint tri in Stirling in June. Gym addict nicely summed up the various options but I wore tri-top and shorts for swimming, then threw a long sleeve top on over the top for the cycle, and then removed the top half way round the run when I got too hot! 

So I think you'll be fine just wearing the tankini throughout, but have a long sleeved top ready at T1 for the bike stage just in case you think you need it.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

• Thanks for the advice.  Will take a long sleeved and short sleeved runnig top to throw on for bike, but like you said Rusty, may take off for the run.  I do find it is a bit chillier on the bike section cos of the wind factor.

going to test out a swimming cap today in pool - not sure of going to bother with one or not.

• Morning!

Julie, get used to swimming with a swimming cap! You will almost certainly be given one of a specific colour to wear during your triathlon swim as it helps the marshalls keep track of you and count how many lengths you've done (assuming it's a pool based triathlon). We were given rubber ones that were still damp from being used in previous heats - ugh!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ok Folks, apologies for not being able to find it but who was the parson that thought they had PF and I said it might be due to being new to a road bike (cos I had the same) ?

Just wondered how its going, mine is improving nicely with a nice high pedal cadence
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

It was me, TR. Doc' doesn't think it's PF. I'm still not running...I'm giving the HTFU a miss for a bit cos' my head as well as my foot is sending me signals image. I'm fine on the bike.In fact, I find it hard to reproduce the movement, or lack of it, that results in the pain. but the pain's still there and, when it comes, it's bloomin' sore. Will have a trot on Monday and see if it gets worse. Back to Doc the following week.

Too much detail, I know, but I haven't run for 3+ weeks. I'm frustrated because I want to do a wee Tri in..err..8 weeks. If rest turns out to be the best medicine, how late can I leave practising for the 5 k at the end?

* Why I'm worrying is a mystery. I'm still drowning in the pool! *

• Hi ATM,

How's the swimbling coming on? image

Sorry to hear about your injury.  Depending on your base fitness you may not need to train for 5k at all.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fair enough ATM, above all else you need to listen to your body. So well done for doing that.

90min/30min brick earlier.

My swimming is till weak - but I did 1k in 20:10 the other day, nice and comfortably. Its when I try and speed up it all goes wrong.

Got a number in the post today for my 2nd Tri at Southampton next weekend, 400m/18M/3.5M.

Hope my swimming is better (and relaxed rather than anxious) than at my debut one at Chichester.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning...

My swimbling? *gasp/pant/gulp/gasp/flounder etc, etc...*I'm off to a tri-club session tomorrow to beg for help...And you're right. Surely I can run 5k? I'll think about that later.* Saying goodbye to various children this weekend as they head off far, far awaaaaay*

You're bound to do better this time, TR. You'll be more relaxed. Not too relaxed, mind. image

Any decision on the time for our meetup next week, RA?

• Hi all

Can I join in? I seem to have fallen in love with Tri! I did one pool one last year and I did one outdoor one. Then this year I went for it and did London and that was it, I can now say I am hooked!

I have a Duathlon in October but have yet to find another tri to do this season that is local to me. Need to have a scout around. Money prohibits another trip away.

It is the swimming that I lack motivation for. Because

• I am dire at it - much direr than TR!
    • I find it so very boring!

But I love the cycling and the running.

ATM just pciked up on your post about your foot troubles. So sorry to read this. However I can empathise. I was unable to run before London and was having a right old panic about the 10k run. In the end I got up to 6 miles literally just before the event. I found I was absolutely fine and should not have panicked.

You'll be fine on a 5k, honest. Just take it steady and away you go.  Keep up with the bike and the swim and your fitness will see you round the 5k. image

• TR!!!! I've just read your post - a tri in Southampton??? My brother lives in Southampton......

Is it a pool swim or outdoor?

Could you send me the details? image Mr Scoobs says maybe. imageimage

• oh oh oh I forgot about my cortisone injection. oh oh grr grrr grr. It is on wednesday. Hey maybe they'll say I can still do. imageimage

Maybe not. image

TR - could you let me know details anyway? You never know..... image