Any newbie triathletes here?

1505152535456»

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Next sunday (24th) on the New Forset Side of Southampton.

Search for Southampton Tri on Concept Sport website.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Try this, although theres lots of Tris in the South West which would be closer, inc Weymouth.

You're a better open water swimmer than me though Scooby - cos you've been in the oggin and I havnt.

If I lived in Cornwall and had some sew swimming bllx I'd do the Perranporth Tri.

Southampton is 400m pool swim, 18M pedal and 3.5M womble.

I'm no 141 - i'll be the one with the carp bike and muscles !
  • ATM,

I'll send an email round everyone - but it is looking like an early start on Saturday morning suits most folk. So the current plan is 9ish at the canal basin. How does that fit with train times?

More later, I'm still trying to catch up with my lost day spent sitting in front of the TV watching the track cycling!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

RA, should be fine. I can get to Glasgow for 7.30..Haymarket at 8.45 ( If no more floods...). With the email, can I have directions to canal basin? I don't know the area.

Hi, Scooby Snax.Thanks, Nam too, for the 5k encouragement. I'll go back to worrying about the swim...and rightly so! image

• atm - don't bother worrying about the swim either! You'll be fine - honest!

TR - that doesn't mean I'm better, it just means I got in there first. image Once you're in you'll be away!

OOOH Peranporth Surf Challenge hey! Now that would be tough. Perranporth is really surfy with big waves and tough current. I'd like to give that one a go. I have done Bude off Summerleaze beach but that was half the swim distance of Perranporth. I've also heard the gossip about Perranporth and it isn't pleasant. Caught in rollers, big pull back out after wave on way back in, goggles coming off etc. Sadly I think I may be pedalling for a medal that weekend. WIll check diary.....
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I've surfed at Perranporth (and Bude) !

Keep meaning to get the surf wetsuit out and break my sea swimming duck. But never get round to it.

Set myself a Tergat of swimming the Solent "one day". A fella at my pool trained for one of the many crossings each summer and did it a few weeks ago and he said it was awesome.

Cos I'm a carp swimmer and dont like sea-swimming (or being cold) I reckon thats more of a challenge than lowering my FLM debut time.
  • ATM - what tri are you doing in 8 weeks???  It's great that you have a club to go too. There is one in Glagow but it's the wrong side of town for me and would take me over an hour to get too even if the traffic was okay.  I am trying to fit so much into my life that there is no way I can waste hours travelling to a club.. it's bad enough getting to my running club which is 15 mins away and i only manage that now and again.  I have to do  my training on my own whenever I can squeeze it in.

WOuld love to know and meet some local tiathletes. Would also love to do more events but all my pals are runner first and foremost and are NOT up for anything involving water.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    GA, it's the one at Balerno  Why not join us? image * Sendingyou an e-mail via the site.I don't know how long that takes*
  • Oh my swimming is just SOOO pants! Swam 1500m after my run today. And I am sooooo slow! I tried to do all the things I think I'm supposed to do, but just felt like I was hardly moving. I think I shall have to look into some lessons to try and understand where I am going wrong. Either that or maybe I am just destined to be a slow swimmer! On top of that my goggle leaked and my contact lense made my eye very sore. When I got home I took them out but it was too late by then and my left eye is now really sore, bloodshot and a bit gungyfied. Oh poooh!

AND my friend who is a nurse said be prepared as they may say I can do nothing for 2 weeks after my cortisone injection. WHAT??? Nothing at all?? says me. A nod confirmed. Crikey! At least when I can't run I can still bike and swim. I shall go quite quite mad. I can;t imagine doing nothing at all. I am soooo hoping she is wrong!

Gosh what a moaning minnie I am! I won;t be doing Perrnaporth either as friends hen evening. Close friend too so can;t miss and she wants to go clubbing! Me at my age! That'll will take a week to get over. Anyway maybe Perranporth is being a bit ambitious. I've done Bude which is only 500m swim and you swim out via a river so only get the waves on the way back in. Perranporth is 1000m swim  and no river....

ATM - what tri are you doing? How's the swimbling? Have you been to tri club yet?

Julie - when is yours? Or have you done it? If so how'd it go?

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Scooby - Blimey ! I was only joking about Perranporth too!

FWIW, my best swimming occurs when I concentrate on long slow strokes, reaching and rotating. Whilst exhaling through my nose so as not to gasp for breath.

Other times its just a wild splash fest.

90min/30 min bike/run today at this end.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

'morning all. Went to the Tri club coached swim. I was extremely nervous, I have to admit. but it was great...everyone was very welcoming. I'm c*** but I was still amazed at how much I managed to do.Being in a group  is a completely different experience from swimming on your own and I got the chance to watch lots of swimmers up close. Using flippers made me feel secure enough to relax..a bit. The atmosphere was really good and when the coach said' Oh, yes,we can get you to swim better', I believed him  image It was really interesting to see how hard everyone, the coach in particular, was working.If anyone is hesitating about going along to a club, I can only recommend the experience.

Scooby, the Tri is at Balerno. Coming?