Options

ING Amsterdam Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    What races are everyone doing this summer before the training starts proper? I'm just coming back from injury and I have lost nearly all my aerobic fitness. I'm doing a 10k next weekend to try and get some confidence back but I will only doing it at 7.5m/m im also doing the Bupa 10000 on 26th May.
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭

Blimey, I don't think I could manage running early mornings, although I suppose if needs must then I would have to!

I'm quite lucky that I can run while kids are at school so don't really need to juggle stuff around too much to fit my runs in. When I begin mara training I will plan to do my long runs during the week rather than the weekend so they don't 'eat' into the weekend. I find it's not just the actual running but the prep, eating at the proper times, shower after, eating, stretching and general knackerdness that has the impact on the rest of the day.

• Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭

I've got a couple of 10ks before training starts properly (Jon and I are also doing Bupa 10000 but I'm gonna jog round with him) I'm not sure what other races I'm gonna do yet, I need to have a look about to see what'll fit in with the schedule I'm doing.

• Options

I have the Morecambe cross bay challenge half, but it is more for fun than a time, I was mean to do the Keswick half tomorrow but have had to cancel since we can't stay at the in-laws, mind you I have a really bad throat so just as well!!

Tiny - I hope to do most of my longs runs during the week as well, my youngest starts school in August  but when they first start they are only part-time fo the first 3 weeks or so, which is fine but last year some did mornings and some did afternoons, and afternoons is only 1-3??  As I am not that fast could not exactly fit a long run in that time??

What time is everyone hoping for?  I did 4.32 at Edinburgh last year so hoping to be a bit faster.  I am still trying to decide whether to follow a plan or do my own thing.

Went to the Pod on thursday, luckily problems purely down to my flat feet, she gave me some superfeet insoles, which are not exactly comfortable and my back keeps klicking out, oh to be young again.!!

• Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭

Cotty- I remember going through the half day thing with my kids when they 1st started school, it was lots of to-ing and fro-ing.

I'm not quite sure what to aim for timewise at Amsterdam but would like to better my Brussels mara time of 3H55, will have to see how the training goes image

Never tried superfeet insoles, I wear stability trainers and apart from a sore achilles every now and again I seem to be ok (touch wood!)

• Options

Wanders in ..................................... looks at the list of scoundrels and wasters threatening to wander over the North sea to terrify the cloggies............................................................... shakes head despairingly and goes to look for a pen and paper entry form

• Options
    Hi all, I have entered the marathon, had to defer London because of illness so decided to try another one before London next year. Hoping to do sub 3:30, but my best was 3:42 in Berlin last year. Have joined to do a half, 10miler and a 5miler before the real training starts.
  • Options
    Wanders in ..................................... looks at the list of scoundrels and wasters threatening to wander over the North sea to terrify the cloggies............................................................... shakes head............ and can't wait to join them!!
  • Options
    Plum.... will try and email the FB thing, if I can ever find my log in........
  • Options

????  Fat Bottom?  Firm Buttock?   Flabby Butt?  Favourite Boy?

Thankyou dear, I will wait for any and all of them with bated breath

• Options
    Sorry to disapoint....  but I meant FaceBook!! image
  • Options
    Urgh bloody hell, are you coming too Plum?
  • Options

LOL

Everyone luvs ya Plum! 

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm coming to Amsterdam - have signed up for the marathon (my 1st ever!) Did a half last year and have 3 halfs scheduled before October as part of the plan. I'm going to follow Shades plan which she's very kindly sorted out for me as I've no idea where to start or what I've let myself in for!

I didn't know about time and I guess I'll have to see how training goes, but Shades reckoned around 4hrs so that's what I put on my form as I figured it'll be easier to let the pacing group catch up rather than going hell for leather to catch up with people up ahead.

Is it possible to change pen or are they quite strict? Are any of you located around Perth? I'm in Aberdeen but dog sitting for a fortnight in July so will be in need of a running guide!

• Options
    Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    What's everyone up to at present? Any races this weekend? I have a 10k on Sunday probably get around the 46mark. Iam doing the Bupa 10000 on the 26th I have now recieved my race pack. I will also be in the hospitality tent, rubbing shoulders with the celebs courtesy of working for Bupa.
  • Options
    Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    What's everyone up to at present? Any races this weekend? I have a 10k on Sunday probably get around the 46mark. Iam doing the Bupa 10000 on the 26th I have now recieved my race pack. I will also be in the hospitality tent, rubbing shoulders with the celebs courtesy of working for Bupa..
  • Options

I'm now officially entered into the Amsterdam marathon... I've booked a package deal through the website image

Choclatelog... I'm doing the Tewkesbury half tomorrow, then race for life 5k the following Saturday with my daughter

I'm hoping for 1.30-something tomorrow

• Options

Well I got the 1.30-something...although it was very nearly 1.40. It was a hot day and slightly testing course and I finished in 1.38.47

But anyway I think it's about time we brought this topic up image

...after all, it won't be long before we're starting the 18 week schedule. I'm going to try the RW sub 3.15 schedule. Anyone else care to join me?

• Options

Hello..!!

Back from Prague.... felt sorry for the marathoners in that heat........image    and cobbles......... and tram lines.........yeuch!!

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭

How fantastic would that be! Maybe one day...

Shades has very kindly sent me her plan & I'm hoping to do the 4 runs a week (with an extra few weeks thrown in for planned hols, unplanned illness etc) and hopefully with a bit of determination thrown in I'll do it! Anyone else doing their first?

• Options
    ClagClag ✭✭✭
    PS. In response to Trinity, not Tigger! image
  • Options

I'll be at Amsterdam too.  Berlin, Loch Ness and Amsterdam within 4 weeks of each other image  Hoping for NY too just to put the icing on the cake!  Already got the time booked off at work and it seems to be fly out, run, come back, rest a day or two, drive a bit, run, rest, more flying etc......should be fun.

• Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    well done Trin - it was a hot one on Sunday - I didn't go out of the flat until 19.45
  • Options

Well done Trinity, I am hoping to beat my pb of 1:46 on the Southend half marathon on the 8th of June, but so far only seem to get PB when I do full marathons, how weired is that!

I am going to be following the Garming 3:30 schedule and see if I can get 3:29.

Scott, that is a very ambitious goal, but good luck.  I did Berlin last year and it was fantastic, the weather was great, very flat and great atmosphere, you will enjoy it.

• Options

Thanks Dago, and musketeer image It was just under 3 minutes slower than my PB so given the conditions I was quite pleased.

Dago... I followed the 3.30 Garmin schedule for FLM. I got 3.31, sooooo close... image

• Options

Trinity, to be honest if I got 3:31 I will be happy as my PB is 3:42.  I like your enthusiasm from trying the 3:15 target, if all goes well in Amsterdam, I am hoping to train for that in London next year.

• Options

Before FLM my PB was 3.40, so we are a similar standard in that respect. I actually found some of the training in the 3.30 schedule fairly easy so that's why I'm keen to push it up a level

• Options
    Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Hi all,well done Trinity it was seriously hot as I ran a 10k. This was my first time of trying to be competitive since Jan 1st when I did the serpentine 10k in 43.14 due my injuries. I had to do this race to regain some confidence. I knew there was no chance of a pb but my realistic target was 7.30M/M. I managed 45.16@7.15m/m. I was absoluetly wasted after the race and I had to sit down for 20 minutes as my head was spinning. When I got home I had a headache it was all due to dehydration. I must admit I didn't prepare well for this race as I was treating it as a normal run and I have done hardly any training for the last 6 weeks.