ING Amsterdam Marathon 2008

Comments

• Ekkkkkkkk... put into weeks that seems awfully close....
  • Hi All

Sounds like everyones getting excited image  Am just back from hols.  Not done much but on the plus side the foots healing well.... 

• Hope u had a lovely holiday. Good to hear the foot is healing, have you been able to run yet?
  • Dear H.,

In need of more local advice and you sound as if you might be in the know! I was wondering if you might have a recommendation for a sports masseuse or therapist for a post marathon rub down for the day after Amsterdam.

I did google for it, but somehow ‘Amsterdam massage sports’ and various alternatives just threw up some suspect businesses and upset the morality filter on the work PC no end. I expect an email from HR quiet soon!image  So if you come across any likely suspects I would be most grateful.

• H, hope foot is better.

Well 2 more weeks of bliss before the mad training begins.......

• WR..

The mind boggles at what came up searching for massage in Amsterdam!! LOL image

• Ha ha Wally, hope this isn't just an excuse for when the wife takes a looks at your search engine history image  Just teasing!  I have a physio who works out of Leidesplein (although could possible travel).  He also does sports massages.  I'll give him a shout to see if he's around then and how much he would charge.  I could get a whole post race massage thing going....

Anyone else?

• Dear H.,

Many thanks for that. I had my first recovery rub down after the Cork Marathon recently and while the massage itself was painful, my recovery was very quick. 

I have this notion that I could run Dublin (my home town-ish) the week after Amsterdam! Not sure about it. I will see how the training goes first. I might just give it lash and see, no harm in trying image? Right!

• I did Dublin 2006.  It was fab!  It's doable so long as you train properly, are used to the distance and don't go wild at Amsterdam..
  • Afternoon Amsterdamers,

Well, I'm now focused on the big race. Did South Downs Marathon on Saturday, lovely race but very hard, 5.42 it took me. I'm sure I'm going to feel that this race lacks something, mainly hills!

So now to sort out travel and crash pad for the weekend.

• H. I would be interested on a post marathon rub as well.  Maybe if enough of us are interested your physio would be interested.
  • Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Hi all,Well done Peter it takes a mad type of person to take on that challenge. Amsterdam will be easy for you. I managed 8 miles today I started with 8 m/m in mind but then decided to try for 7.30m/m after 5 miles, I must be mad as I was feeling tired and had to make up 40 seconds somehow I managed to do it in the last mile 6.51.   8miles@7.30m/m=1h00m00s precisely
  • Choc... great running! Well done image

Speaking of mad types of peeps taking on challenges... erm, I'm doing Boston next year and contemplating FLM as well, which happens to be 6 days after Boston

So you can send the men in white coats round now...before it's too late image

• Trinity, the men in white coats can't be bothered, they know we are mad anyway image

Just use FLM as a warm up, lol. Though I guess your in the ballot .

Thanks Choc, I do enjoy a good off road challenge , its great way of seeing lovely countryside. I do enjoy a fast race too, its all about variety really.

• Pete...I've got a GFA for FLM and it's 6 days after Boston next year.

The plan... fly to Boston Friday 17th April, run Boston Monday 20th, fly back to London Wednesday 22nd, arrive London Thursday 23rd, stay in London, run FLM Sunday 26th, home to Bristol Monday 27th image

• Wow, bet your looking forward to April next year then Trinity.

Is that your first GFA place?

I'm hoping to bet 4.30 in Amsterdam, I'm just 2 and a bit minutes off of it at the moment.

• Pete...I am...in an insane kind of way image I got GFA of 3.40 in Abingdon 2005 and apart from struggling with an injury in '06 (and kinda still ongoing) I'm still hanging around that time. I got 3.31 in this year's FLM image

If you're that close I'm sure you'll do it...it's just a case of getting the early pace right

• Woooow there, GFA? Anybody? Please tell me it means 'Gas Forced Air'.

Is that legal in marathons? Do you spend the week tapering on baked beans (Boston beans at that) and lentil nut loafs? I must remeber to either run well in front of you or well behind image.

Acronym  and Definition

Gain Flattened Amplifier,

GameFAQs,

Gas Forced Air,

Gasket Fabricators Association,

Gateway Foreign Agent,

General Framework Agreement,

General Freight Agent,

General Functional Area,

Georgia Forestry Association.

ENDS.

• LOL! image

It may mean one or two of those Wally, but in London Marathon terms it stands for Good For Age, in other words...considering my ancientness it's a miracle I can even finish 26.2 miles without expiring, let alone in that time image

• Evening peeps. image

Trin, Glo won't be able to come....  image Her hubby can't get time off from work as it will be hurricane season .... his job is Ultra busy in hurricane season. On the upside they are looking at April next year and she wants a marathon to do here.... NOT the obvious one!

• aww that's a shame, but can't be helped I guess image

It'll be interesting to see which one Glo picks in April... Shakespear maybe? I've heard that's a nice one.

Obviously I won't be able to fit any more in, I'm a little booked up in April image

• I did shakespeare back in April, and yes it is a good race.

It is two laps though, so you might want to bear that in mind

• Trin, I take my hat out to you doing 2 marathons in 1 week, and if you can pull it off cool image

• Might I suggest Connemarathon, 22 March 2009, almost April. Entry on-line now. I have done the half and can safely say a great day out.
  • Trin.... I had figured you were a tad busy....!! LOL

I was going to suggest the Tresco marathon to her, cos the Scilly Isles  are so beautiful.

Wally... shes done Conne, and as she will be coming from the USA I think she will probably want to do one that she hasn't already. image

I've done the Shakespeare half, so know the course... was very very hot the year that I did it! But hey.... that shouldn't be a problem when you live and train in Florida! 

• Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Hi all,I did 4 miles yesterday 29.35 and I did 10 miles today 1h19.55s. I'm trying to lay down some foundations for when the training schedule starts in July. I went to have a sports massage on Wednesday, he showed no mercy he gave my injury and all the surrounding muscles and tendon a right going over. I told him 'I hate you' as I was in so much pain I also had some ultra sound. I was left really battered and bruised. I just bought the new garmin 405 to replace my 305. I havent used it yet as it seems I have a lot of working out to do. But from what iv,e seen so far it is the b's and e's u dont have to push buttons it's nearly all touch sensitive.
  • Well done Choclatelog.  I did 9 mile in 8.30mins per mile today which is rubbish but I don't really care today as Spain have beaten Italy so I am more than happy.  Go on Spain (it does not happen very often that we win so I have to celebrate)image
  • Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Hi all,Thanks Dago Runner and well done to you at least your getting the milage in before hand. It was meant to be a rest day today after the 10 miler yesterday but i impulsively went out for 4 miles. I suprised myself with 4 miles@7.08m/m= 28m34s so I was happy with that.  8miles for me tomorrow.
  • Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Hi all,Thanks Dago Runner and well done to you at least your getting the milage in before hand. It was meant to be a rest day today after the 10 miler yesterday but i impulsively went out for 4 miles. I suprised myself with 4 miles@7.08m/m= 28m34s so I was happy with that.  8miles for me tomorrow.
  • Hi all I did Amsterdam last year and had a fantastic 5 days, I got a pb,  and this year I was going to do the Flanders marathon in September but struggled getting a application form , so have opted for Amsterdam marathon and then Dublin marathon the week after. image The hubby is doing the half at Amsterdam as well should be fun.

You all look like you are doing well in your runs at the min keep up the good running