Options

Mick n Phil's daily blog

Comments

• Options
    They are'nt ready quite yet !!

Tonight at the club at the last minute i decided to go with the experienced runners - i decided that as a couple of friends of mine decided not to go with the newer group and test themselves against the others -

the group at the club tonight was the biggest turnout for sometime so i was told - the atmosphere was superb, it was time to stop playing boys games, and take my mind back 20 years and play with the men - i really wanted to push the pace - the right group had assembled to do it - they knew me, i knew them - most where around 70- 90 minute HM'ers - and 2.50 to 3.30 FM'ers - though most of us not all were 50 plus - i found that very amusing

it was going fairly well as i thought, until we come to some hills and picked up the pace, then we came to a styles and field gates , where we took turns in holding gates open , - i was enjoying sprinting to catch up the front, i was just settling in, it was very warm -

Then at one gate, the two who were with the newbies last week that i helped, and few others started to feel it - so quickly the runners re-grouped, volunteers were needed to stay with new ones to guide them back - so i and another that i ran with 20 years ago voluteered-

so they went on, we after that had to change route and make it less distance - the guys admitted they were in deep trouble, they were NOT yet ready to mix it - we quielty took them back - the group we took back ended up about 8 strong

they were saying to me and Allan - you two are fitter than most think are'nt you - we said politely, we raced sub 3 hour 20 years ago -

we then kept it positively sweet and talked them through it

Back In the changing rooms they asked how we all did it- we said - training with a relaxed mind - it will come - in time

they said THANKYOU for our support - we replied great pleasure Take care

it was a rewarding evening in the summer heat -
  • Options

We’ve had a quite super weekend -

We completed a double run ( sort of successfully ) but most enjoyable ,

Saturday evening we took on the Hornton hilly 6 miler - in very humid conditions - we ran just over the hour, and had a barbecue after - the run it’s self was hot thirsty and never ending or so it felt tough

Then Sunday morning we set off for Newent, for Gloucester AC’s HM, It was to be our 168 Th HM together - we knew the course quite well, knowing full well how severely undulating it was -

We ran and walked it in 2.41 - slow for us, But Again it was humid, even the winners were an average 10 minutes longer than normal - it was truly physically and mentally sapping very hot and thirsty work in deed -

We enjoyed the whole lot, rural scenery, mile after mile of it - just doing our own thing, a few withdrew from the HM, looking quite wilted - though I greatly suspect the heat didn’t help either run

Though it’s made me feel good, tired obviously but good - NO regrets

We met a lot of our friends, and made new ones, we talked and laughed the time and miles away - in our own time, which to me is what it is all about

• Options
    Night off tonight
    After the events of the weekend - gruelling humid running - extremely thirsty work -

It was much fun, we would'nt have missed it all for anytihnig -- NO -- No regrets at all

But NO track tonight, having night off - a cool shower- nice salad

Just going to try and re-group my self in my mind

Hoping you are all well
  • Options

hi mick n phil

just been enjoying your blog

see you at worksop again

will be marshalling the town hall with r lass

• Options

we ( me pushing Phil in his wheelchair ) have just done in the space of 8 days

Wednesday 6 August - Tough hilly and wet 10k in 59 mins - followed by Saturday 9 August  a Hillish HM 3 days later in 2.05

followed by Wednesday 13 August a 10k flatish with some small inclines in 49 spot on

i'd like to crack our pb of 46.30, but now i'm turned 50 and Phil's top heavy and 20 this week, i don't see it happening

but for ALL of you - yes go for it !! 

• Options

Great to see you back posting, Mick. I've been checking on both here and fetch over the past few weeks and noticed you'd stopped posting. I thought maybe you were away or something but was starting to get a little worried at not seeing any posts from you.

If you get chance, keep the daily blog going. It's the only reason I come onto this site.

• Options

Hi Greame mate

i'm fine u know, just busy - just returned from summer camp and some gruelling hilly running

i'm about to embark on a RW thread giving an insight into our marathon and general running tactics - both scyhologically and mentally - also how we survive daily with about 40 weeks a year to compete and clocking anything up to 55 races

it'll gradually give an insight into everything running gruelling long distance and insight with this as to how sick and disabled peole and thier carers cope

i hope it will inspire people

i hope u are well

Kindest regards

Mick

• Options
    tonights training run
    There was NO club tonight due to bank holiday

So Me and Phil went out tonight into the rural countryside at the back of us we ran about 8.2 miles, ( part if it takes in the Summer 6 race ) - we ran a time of 1.15 - considering just how undulating to hilly it is i was well pleased i can tell you

very enjoyable - it was'nt a race, i was actually wondering after, if we were pushing the pace just what we'd have done
  • Options

Have you never considered writing a book about your races, Mick? I read loads of running books by people who get one published having completed only a couple of marathons. You and Phil have done hundreds of HM's & FM's and have a lot to tell other than just running (getting into Flora LM, winning Jame Tomlinson award etc).

It's definetly something you should look into, it would easy be a great seller. With the people on here and fetch you'd have orders for thousands even before it hit the shops. 

• Options
    club is on for tomorrow night
    I've just had word that the club is on tomorrow night - so i'm going solo
    can't wait - most probably go with senior elite runners

there's plenty of support i'm told tomorrow for the new faces and less experienced
  • Options
    Ran solo with the club tonight
    Toinight i ran solo with the club

1.15 about, canal paths, lanes , roads - very enjoyable but tiring tonight - i can only guess it was 8 or 9 miles

i'm glad i went -

i'm tired now
  • Options
    Ran Coventry 5

last night we ran the Coventry 5 miler - clocking around 50 mins, it was all in bumpy parkland, we did a good warm up first , so in all probably around 7 or 8 miles

it was good
  • Options
    Nothing this week
    Phillip is in respite until Friday PM -

and we have Wolves HM on Sunday, so i'm resting up until then, i ain't doing nothing

No club NO nothing

Just going to eat , drink, sleep and potter
  • Options
    Our 171 st HM together
    Today at Wolverhampton - we ran our 171 st HM together in a very comfortable 2 hours,

i had two minds to go on and do the 2nd lap for the marathon, but i did'nt want to mess up in any way next weeks Robin Hood marathon - which will be our 30 th together

So, we just walked back to the 11.5 mile mark and watched and cheered people in

it was a super day - had a lovely chat with Plodding Hippo and Smiley Girley
    saw one or two others, Jogging John and wife etc

really enjoyed it all
  • Options

I did a cross country 8 miler today and really enjoyed the mud and the chat from the fellow runners - feel good factor !!

You two sound like you had the same feelings today - well done for going back and cheering the other runners home - an important part of any race in my opinion, but i expect nothing less from you two.

one day we will meet at a race (and i will follow in your speed wake) and i will shake your hands and thank you both for the inspiration. 

• Options
    Our 296 th race

This weekend at Nottingham will be our 296 th Race together

We have done loads of 20 milers - 15 milers, 10 milers etc

though our favourite distances really are HM and 15 , and 20's

anything below HM really is too short

We have proudly and happily completed 171 Half marathons

This weekend at Robin Hood we take on our 30 th FULL marathon-

cannot afford to be compleacant over it - though we are ready for what ever gets in our way - we won't be giving up without a battle i assure you

not even in my wildest dreams could i have ever thought i 'd say were nearing 300 races - including 30 marathons

but we'll see - the marathon splits just as the HM turns for the finish, then it's time to settle down and head for home
  • Options

Robin Hood Full Marathon - our 30 th FM together - clocking 5.17

I feel most sad to hear of the death of the young man - I only hope, he was involved in a sport that he truly loved and worshipped - my thoughts are with his family

As for us - ( OR me ) - bloody hell, what a day it gradually turned into -

- started off really well superb in actual fact, got going not to fast , kept myself well hydrated & nibbled on our delicious stuff we carry on board-

Plenty of support, spectators and runners alike seemed to be never endingly chanting Mick n Phil - Mick n Phil - Mick n Phil , it made me feel very proud , also somewhat tearful - so my thanks to all who supported us

Onwards we went through the miles, never becoming complacent at all -

Phillip constantly wanted attention and feeding , I’ve no idea why - he felt heavier and heavier as time went on - never once did I really feel that I got chance to settle

At about 11 miles I noticed I was just starting to feeling rather sick, but I thought, oh well, perhaps it a bit of excitement - so to be sure I just eased the pace, knowing we had plenty of time, and turned it into a jog then walk - Then we came to the split , cruised off down it got just passed in line with the start area, and I sunk to my knees , just vomiting, couldn’t stop - I had NO idea why - I still don’t

The finish line was just yards away , did I call it a day - I thought no, giving in is to easy, 3 hours and we’ll be back

On we went, jogging, then walking, as time went on , I had 3 more stops which I sunk to my knees and was just so sick, my stomach pulled, but luckily not my head - though I was noticing each time I ran I felt ill - so kept it to walk FAST, jog- people were passing us, supporting us -

As the miles went on , I thought, ahh, were closing in now, just an hour away. And so on -

I could so easily have given in yesterday, I totally lost it, I have NO idea at all , with all my experience what went wrong - I just knew this was all instinct, physiological and mental strength

I staggered towards the finish line, just before it trying to joke with the commentators . Just after the line, I simply lost my legs and hit the floor, I had first aid, 30 minutes or so later I went on - I met highly experienced runners who were waiting for us, who said at 13 miles they called it a day - why , they didn’t know either

All in all, a super day, no complaints at all - but it just shows, NO matter how experienced one is, no matter how physically or mentally fit one is, - never be complacent over 26 miles

I won’t say - never again, cos that’s not our style, and I know we will - it was just one of those days

• Options

I feel much better this evening - I had a good nights sleep last night, I’ve eaten and drank well today, I’ve also taken some vitamin C Glucose tablets

We’ve NOT gone to the club track tonight, as I’ve decided to rest physically and mentally - I could have run, it’s not a problem, I just chose not to - I have to take a look at myself, and just examine one or two thing at the moment

I have NO regrets about what I did at Robin Hood marathon, had I have pulled out, I’d have been well pissed off now, and spent days maybe weeks getting over it - but I can now happily carry on

Our next events are >

September

21- Leyton Buzzard 10

28- Macclesfield HM

October >

5 - Kenilworth HM

12 - Peterborough HM

19 - Abingdon FM - our 31st FM

26 - Worksop HM

November

2 Stevenage HM

And so on, just cannot think at minute, I have NO concerns at all about 10k, which we don’t do unless they are an in between runs - NO concerns about 10 milers, or HM’s or 15’s , and 20 milers are good just needing a little effort

It’s asking myself now I’m 50 and Phillip’s 20 and wheelchair fully laden 11stone, just how many marathons are left in me -

Abingdon FM on October 19th should and will be a good examination of what’s in me still - I’m ready for it without any hesitation - it’s a perfect marathon, in cool October, perfectly organised, with little undulations

I really do not know what I could have done different yesterday - if I was new - ish to running, or in- experienced ok,

I just think it has to be pit down to an off day -

I am quite happy, very happy in actual fact, - I love my running, as a matter of fact, I love it more, and yesterday told me - Never say never

Robin Hood is a perfect event, they treated us well - we didn’t collect any mementoes, we are NOT in it for that

I think I just need to run , jog , plod a few events and then the odd one kick almighty arse

I have nothing to prove to myself,

BTW - those of you that support us like you do -

Thank you - bless you

• Options
    ran solo with the club tonight

Toinght i went to the club, ( By myself ) i did'nt go out with the elite men and wmoen, as i needed to relax and stretch -after last Sundays gruelling marathon

so i went out with the runners that are new to HM and 10k etc, chatted with them and helped and advised them, it was a perfect evening, they chatted away, i told them when they were being negative etc- they agreed with me

we ran relaxed and put a little spurt in here and there - we were out about an hour - it was real good

it felt real good to help some one else

afterwards i showered - and home now relaxing
  • Options

Are you entering the Clowne HM again this year mick? I've just entered and it would be great to see you and Phil there again. I remember seeing the determination in your face pushing Phil up a ridiculous hill, it was awesome.

Can you post a list of your upcoming races over the next month or so? It would be great to see you both again.

• Options
    personal problems

We were due today , to run Leighton Buzzard 10 miler

but i've been feeling mentally unwell and subdued, my wife just isn't well

so, i decided this morning not to go and just go training-

so i packed our stuff, and just put my wife's electric scooter in the boot, and headed off to Draycote water, only intending a quiet walk of one lap 4.8 miles

My wife said, i'm fine, i'm safe, i'm going to go quiet and just watch the people - so she said GO ON you two off you go and do some training

So, once we got going, - ( it was packed literally ) i could'nt believe it - people bloody knew us, i could'nt believe it - people who did'nt know us, just loved seeing what we do -

we eventually did 3 laps 14.4 miles, i kept my watch off , i did'nt want to keep looking at it

The questions people were asking me was just incredible -

it was a relax and run for fun job - it was good, real good, made me feel just bloody fabulas
  • Options

This really is inspiring stuff. Glad to hear you had a good training session yesterday.

Sorry to hear about your Robin Hood Marathon experience, sounds horrible. Courageous of you to have coped with it how you did.

Keep it up.

• Options
    No club tonight

Have NOT been to the club track with Phillip tonight- i've not had a very good day to be honest

I've been to my GP today to seek some therapy for learning to deal with Phillip's continuing needs - it really does just drive me out of my mind -

i've spent my day and evening with my wife just pottering over things really

might head for the club solo on Wednesday night - not sure yet - we'll see

here's hoping all of you are well
  • Options

Mick

You have mail.

You may wish to put the kettle on first and settle down with a mug of tea.

Take care Buddy.

• Options
    what can i say

NOT a bloody lot ( for today i mean ) not to Blisters post

LMAO
  • Options
  • Options
    club tonight SOLO

The wife is off to college tonight, Phillip will be with the nurse -

I'm off to the club - going to help the new ones

Just too damned sexy for my shirt /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]howGlossaryDefinition('LOL');]LOL
  • Options
    Tonights Club run

well guys

tonight's run with the clubs newbies was just what the doctor ordered

we took them about 7.5 miles, chatting to them, keeping their minds positive, asking them what they were not sure about, asking about what they understood most and enjoyed most

they admitted their physical status would come in time, - the physchological side of things is very difficult to understand and work on - but they very much enjoyed our input of coaching to them

as for me, i thought the pace was pretty good at times,

it was a scintillating run , a run of total relaxation, making me feel just so very good it's really hard to put into words

it's given me such a high, made me feel just so good, - but were home now and must move on
  • Options

Today’s perfect Kenilworth HM

Today we clocked 2.12.40 approx at Kenilworth HM, we had gone looking for about 2.10 - 2.15 ish

It was wet, and wet, and wet, easing off somewhat towards the end - it made the run simply very refreshing and so tranquil ,

Knowing we have Abingdon marathon on October 19 - and after a fairly bad run at Robin Hood FM on September 14 - we’ve missed the last two weeks running because of personal problems

I have been thinking to myself, what’s left in this old dog,

I set about some old tactics , knowing Kenilworth to be severely undulating and October 12th at GER HM at Peterborough ( flat so I’m told, )-

So, we embarked on what I consider we do best - clinical, methodical , ignoring it all - gentle but positive running - Running for fun, the way it should be - not setting any pace, or set time for part distance, just getting to the finish when we get there,

Seeing the mile markers but just ignoring them, checking the watch, but only as a rough guide, laughing with people we knew, and talking to others who where first timers - just playing with it all quite effortlessly, - gliding along without a care in the world, what a perfect day and run it was -

The key to it all was physiological self control, and not trying to go do anything fancy and possibly burn out, and it worked just like the old days a treat

Next weeks HM, though flat, we will just play with - NO race pace at all, that will then leave me in perfect condition in every way for Abingdon

It really did make it all so, so enjoyable, another day to remember -

Though we have a HM left yet, it’s a formality really, I can now begin to set my mind relaxed but positively to Abingdon - though it’ll just be another event, as were running the following week

Will we get anywhere near 4 hours, don’t know, don’t really care much, but on the day we’ll sure see, I won’t be losing any sleep over anything

Overall, it’s perfect, fabulas, still enjoying it all as much as ever

• Options

Hi MicknPhil

Are you guys doing Clowne HM again next month? I'm just about to send my entry off so I'll see you there if it's on your schedule.