Options

Mick n Phil's daily blog

Comments

• Options
    Perfect evening

Hello fellow runners

I went to the club tonight SOLO , went with the newer runners again, so as to contain it all ( my running i mean ) and keep things easy

we ran for about 1 hour 10 mins - no idea how far - it was cool, tranquil, peaceful, talking to each other -
    it was a very enjoyable run, had a cool shower after - it's left me after a few subdued days leaving me feel good again

we have GER Peterborough HM Sunday - ( I'm told it's virtually flat ) i intend to tackle it gently, quietly, NOT forcing any pace - i'm going to make sure it's clinical and methodical - using little or NO effort at all in getting around

the purpose it should serve - to leave me in physcologically and physically mint condition for Abingdon marathon Oct 19th
    I feel good, and it's good to play, it keeps the mind and body nice and relaxed - and a physically and mentally relaxed body performs so much better

Hoping ALL of you are well

Mick
  • Options

GER Peterborough HM

Today we ran GER HM in a very quiet 2.07 - It was our 172 nd HM together

The reason we took it quiet, like last weeks ( Kenilworth HM ) is to be in condition for next weeks Abingdon marathon - it’ll be our 6 th marathon this year and ( 31st overall )

What a contrast though in courses and weather - last week, severely undulating, very rural from 1 - 12 miles, all in torrential rain -

Today at GER, it was humid, flat and plenty of spectator support, all along the residential areas

The event itself, I have to say was spot on , I cannot fault it at all - the support was simply quite superb, shame we couldn’t have raced it all out - as it’s real pb material - it was pretty difficult and frustrating keeping holding back on the pace, but I could not afford to mess up next weeks run

It was great meeting friends new and old - We cruised it as planned - time wasn’t really the essence today - just not used to holding back to allow for slow pace,

Of course as easy as today was, it’ll be nothing compared to next week - 26 miles is not to be complacent over - where as a HM you can ( if your know what your doing ) just work your way through

The atmosphere on route I thought of both fellow runners and spectators was just fabulas - but now it’s history, and the road show moves on, as it does every week,

Must now make minor preparations to deal with Abingdon -

Today was basically playful to keep the pschycological and physical cogs oiled - next week will be serious stuff - the gloves will really come off as it where - there’ll be No or very little waiving to anyone, it’ll be head down through the pain barrier

In theory next week

6 miles 52 - ish

HM - 1.52 ish

18 miles 2.40 ish

20 miles 3.00 ish , then hold on for grim life

I won’t be thinking much about it this week, just wait for the gun to go off

I live in hope

• Options

Monday 13 Oct 2008

Tonight we went to our local track - we ran non stop for 60 mins around and around - it was real good, very cool, very refreshing - we kept the pace quiet, distance was not important, - Keeping myself in top condition was , I ‘m not even interested physically, it was purely psychological

We ran in semi darkness as no one turned up - they were up in the Cotswold hills training,

Luckily the football courts were lit up next door - it made it fun half in the dark, the hour went so quick it was incredible

So, now I just have Wednesday night’s solo training run with my club before Abingdon FM

• Options

Wonderful relaxing run

Tonight I ran Solo with my club, we were out about 1hour 15 ish covering around 7 miles ish

Again I went with the less experienced runners - we also did some fartlek training on route, using lamp posts as distance markers

It was cool, relaxing oh, so relaxing, totally enjoyable - I had no intentions of over doing it, tonight was purposely leisurely

It kept my mind so relaxed tonight it’s just incredible - so, now it’s head down to Abingdon marathon on Sunday - which I am absolutely serious about

Will go looking for a quiet 5 hour run, hoping it will produce sub 4

• Options

Just like it ah -

i've now developed a sore groin - so, maybe after all abingdon will just be about getting around and finshing - oh well image

• Options

Hi Mick...

I know sub 4 would be fantastic for you but to finish would also be pretty special. I'll never forget the boost it gave me seeing you and Phil at Malvern Half and I'm sure that you'll  be able to inspire many more people.

I often think of you both when I'm on my long runs.

• Options
    Best of luck for Abingdon both {{hugs}}
  • Options

Abingdon Marathon in 4.19 - Our 31st FM - ( and 299 th Race in total )

What a simply fabulas day it was, - perfect running conditions

Happy with the day overall - But also deeply annoyed with myself

First - A big thanks to all the organisers concerned -

Second - To everyone who said hello at cheered us on a big, big thank you

We arrived in plenty of time to as usual prepare things methodically and perfectly - with no rush -

I was really hoping to go sub 4 , or at least beat our course best of 4.03 -

Got going nicely, feeling real good, just a light pressure from my groin, nothing much - as planned for sub 4, we went through 6 in 52 , - 10 in 1.29 , - Half way in 1.52 - bang on, so ok I thought, then 18 in spot on 2.40, and 20 in 3.01, I knew the second time down that lane at 13 and 22 was going to take it out of me - and it did !

Only from the outset, there’s always been a snag with this, something I have SADLY bought upon myself - really stupidly actually - I knew my right side groin would or certainly could make me uncomfortable,

I was flying along, well on course really, but at about 18 miles my muscles tightened, ok, nothing new, then my groin started, I’m surprised it didn’t start before - by 20 , I was slowing in pain, - the path took it’s toll big time and after going through the town, from 24, I really suffered, finishing in a happy but frustrated 2.19

I really consider in running circles that i know exactly what I’m doing, - but stupidly early 2007 I drank lots of Locozade sports and gels, - I knew from the first Silverstone London HM , that they made me sick, - and in March 2007, I ended up a week in hospital because these gels etc, don’t agree with me,

And just recently, and since returning to my local club, I’ve been stretching far more that I ever did, I’ve been reading lots on RW etc of different things people do - so, I thought, perhaps I need a new change -

I’ve always done a little stretching - but not like I have been recently, I keep myself normally in top physical and mental condition - I find it helps me cope better with my wife’s illness and my son’s care - and the last few weeks, my groins, the right especially has been really hurting, though not so much on shorted distance

I’m really so damned angry with myself, I should know better, if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it - and for me nothing is broke, - so from now on, it’s back to my old ways, - I keep to what I do, from now on,

But after today I’m sure sub 4 is on though, but just didn’t do it today - I am so glad we carried on and finished, as I wasn’t ill in any way, just tired and sore - I am quite happy, now it’s just get back to what I do, and NOTHING else,

Next week were at Worksop HM - our 173rd HM - and or 300 th Race - and I’m real CHUFFED

To think we were told we’d NEVER get around a HM

Well, it’s now 31 FM’s and 172 HM’s - Luvely Jubbly

• Options

Mick.

Lovely to see the pair of you again, you're not going to like me for this, but I think that upper leg muscle is a bit damaged and needs treatment or extended rest. Or both. Please be gentle on it.

Did you realise that you were nearly overtaken by the in-form and continually improving runner-who-used-to-be-called-Plodding Hippo? It was a mere 7 seconds at the line.

• Options

Yes -  i know LOL  image

She really does deserve it though !!

Hoping your ok

• Options
    having a rest
    Hi Gang

We have'nt gone to the track tonight, i'm having a rest -

I'm very relaxed and happy, in general only a little sore, - as for my groin, it's going to mend slowly - at present, the muscles are delicate, when i return to stretching my stretching of joints etc will be mildy done,

Trying All this new stuff has finished now- it don't work for me - i suppose i was looking for a new life something different - i'm going back to what i do best, what i know works,

Thing is, with ALL my experince of running, you really would think i'd know better would'nt you-

So, nothing is broke, so i ain't going to fix anything anymore

I'll just run and relax for a while now - our next marathon and 7th this year is Luton ( tough 3 lapper ) on Dec 7 , i'll probably really have a good go at that , but i know sub 4.30 isn't really feeasble

an enjoyable few weeks of very gentle running , will do me good
  • Options

I felt great after the race Mick, but mashed by dinner time. I'm OK today, though. Not yet running, but stairs hold no fear. Plenty of walking is in order for both of us.

• Options

Tuesday 21 October 2008

I on my own Got some nice exercise in today after resting yesterday - this morning I managed 2 hours 30 mins speed walking and jogging , it was a pure blue sky with a nice breeze, it was pure perfect

Groin is sore, but I feel good

• Options

Wednesday 22 October 2008

This morning I have done a lovely refreshing 1 hour 30 mins speed walking and jogging

It was beautiful out it the refreshing breeze -

Tonight I’m going training with the club

• Options

Wednesday ( Night ) 22 October , with the club

Tonight I ran with the club, with the experienced senior elite runners - what a night it was, 1hour 40 mins in total - I hate to think how far we ran, the night air was perfect, the sweat just rolled off me, I was in full flow - leading at times, though knowing my groin still isn’t right

As for the pace, well, at times it was hot and cruel, there was no let up to it, we all took turns, and it was a big group - so peaceful, so much laughter, so much humour

We slowed just every so often to re- group, but the Pace each time was soon picked up again, it left me feeling real good,

The force of running did it’s job - I savoured it - felling real god

It was a group session to treasure and remember

• Options

Some nice training in

Thursday 23 October

Got in a nice and relaxing 2 hours 45 mins of speed walking and jogging , really refreshing in a light breeze

Friday 24 October

Got in 2 hours 20 mins of speed walking and jogging , again today was a light refreshing breeze, and my thigh muscles are feeling better

I’ll do nothing tomorrow Saturday - except bit of shopping with my wife-

Then Sunday - a big day for us, Worksop HM - our 173 rd HM overall , and in total our 300 th RACE

Who would have ever though it, certainly not me

Happy running feeling good, - people have said including RW that I’ve used the force of running and physical and mental fitness as a force to change our life - WOW, you can say that again !!

• Options

Sunday 26 October 2008 - saw us Conquer our 300 th Race

We went to Worksop HM in Nottinghamshire, ( our 6th time at this event ) it was our 173rd HM together adding to that our 31 FM’s, and other distance races, 20’s, 15’s, 10’s and 10’ks

We ran it in a nice time of 2 H 5 mins - it was a purely scintillating run , it’s a very undulating course with the first 1 mile up hill, we just cruised it quietly, not intending any race pace after last weeks gruelling 31st marathon in 4.19

The weather turned out to be perfect, it was fresh the cool air was nice, we went along in our own way, with no pressure on us , it was actually in a way very effortless, I say in a way, as the undulations obviously need some work at times, but that’s what it’s all about - the challenge - and no mental stamina really involved what so ever

It was one of those days where we could have gone on for a few more miles, say up to 20 - sadly it was over before we knew it

I felt very good and relaxed all the way through, we chatted with people, 6 miles was up on us before I even knew it -

I felt quite proud at the end knowing it was 300 races, they been done in all weathers, all profiles of courses, from flat races to the hilliest - from the coldest and wettest and gale force winds to the hottest

We are now going to enjoy pottering around a few HM’s for a few weeks until Luton marathon arrives, that will be our 7th FM this year - and 32 FM’s overall

Who could have ever thought we’d do this when we started out, -

It’s all been a wonderful experience, we have absolutely no regrets, so much so that we march on -

Tomorrow night, hopefully we’ll be on the club track for an hour - looking for about 6 miles

• Options

Monday 27 October 2008

I went to the club track on my own , ( just needed a break ), so instead of taking the car , I ran the mile there, couldn’t get warm, and did an hour with the club members and then run back home - hardly got warm at all -

Legs , calves and thigh muscles were very stiff , so kept the pace reasonable -

Though I suppose even though I wanted a break on my own - as I’m used to taking Phillip to the track, psychologically I never settled

All in all, a good evening and well worth it -

Tuesday 28 October 2008

Very cold this morning, Did 2 H 45 mins of speed walking and jogging, it was very relaxing and enjoyable,

• Options

Wednesday 29th October

Had a pretty good day - have had better, but also had worse

Did 1.5 hours speed walking and jogging this morning -

and 1 ¼ hours at the club tonight with the senior men and women - the training was pretty good really - meaning , I know in the end it was worth it, though, it wasn’t the greatest of runs - but that’s life Ahh !!

• Options

I turned a bad day - Into a good one

A day that could have been a complete disaster, was put right by solid physiological thinking , and mental tactics

Today we were supposed to be at Stevenage HM- it would have been our 174 th HM together, things were going fine in preparation ( what prep we have that is ), there is no physical or mental preparation - only making sure our bags are packed

Everything was packed last night to go - even the food in the fridge was ready - then personal problems set in - which gave me a bad night, I was up 3 or 4 times, and when the alarm went off at 5.30, I was just shattered, too tired to worry about driving for around 2 hours - I’d of spent as much time driving as I would have running

So, that was plan A completely out of the window, -

so morning came, I set about sorting Phillip out with breakfast and medication - and then sorted my wife’s medication and breakfast - my wife said I’m ok if you want to take Phillip off for a while, I can phone you if I need you if you stay home Phillip will drive us mad

By this time I was feeling very subdued and demoralised - so we set off, I knew that our favourite haunt was Draycote Lake for walking or running , it’s only 45 mins drive away - we got there, I knew that this training session would be the key to my day - but I had to put it together mentally

So, I changed Phillip ready and prepared myself - set my watch and off we went, on lap 1 - 4.8 miles, for the first few minutes I felt out of sorts, depressed , not caring, - the target was 2 laps or if possible, but I’d prefer 3 laps for 14.4 miles

So, we settled down remembering what it was all about, 1 lap was done in 48 minutes, was feeling ok, stared lap 2 , knowing this wasn’t physical fitness or stamina, this was solely about physiological belief and mental stamina - it stared feeling good, lap 2 was completed we had an overall time of 1.38 - we set about our 3rd lap, this was the final one, the target and the magic one as we had to set about on our way home, we cruised it in an overall time of 2.28

It was just what I needed, I felt good, running and fresh air had done the trick once again -

Running if only a training run on our own had turned what could have been a disastrous day into a good day

14.4 undulating and windy miles in 2 h 28 mins

• Options

Monday 3 November

We went to the track - we had it to ourselves with half lights from the football courts opposite, ( the club were on hill running on outer Stratford )

It was really windy up one side and warm and sheltered on the other - we only had ( 60 mins - 1 Hour ) in which we clocked 24 laps

It was fresh and refreshing - it was peaceful, it made me feel mentally good, that’s all I’m interested in - I know I cannot change much physically now

Wednesday nights coming club night is a grand prix race, there are 45 of us on the same track ( we’ll be on outer lane ) it’s 1 hour of clocked and counted lap running for those who wish to see how many laps they can run in one hour -

Well, you can imagine - I pushing Phillip am just relishing it

I am going to kick almighty Arse !!!

• Options

Wednesday 5 November

Tonight we went to the club track and took part in the 1 hour long Grand Prix - 45 runners took part, seeing how many laps could be run in 1 hour

We clocked 26 laps, It was so much fun - really refreshing and just great

• Options
    MichnPhil, are you heading to Clowne for the HM tomorrow?
  • Options

Hi Greame

Were planned  to be there

I'm tired, i'm subdued, I'm fed up of driving -

The weather is not the problem -

I feel i'm gradually losing it all -

physical and mental fitness, oh, that's fine -

• Options

It has been a while since your last post, Mick. I hope you aint too down.

I'll be there tomorrow then I have a 10 miler in Ripon the following week before my first FULL marathon in Luton on 7th December. If you're there tomorrow it'd be good to get some tips from you on how to run a marathon (pace etc) before I attempt my first. I've done some 20 odd milers recently including a 20 mile run yesterday before work but 26 will be unknown territory for me.

• Options

Bedford Half Marathon ( Our 174 HM together )

How do I explain today ahh

we haven’t run in an event for 5 weeks, ( we’ve only trained at the club in that time ) and we only went looking to have a nice comfortable run getting to the finish when we got there

I had planned roughly on running around 2.10 - 2.15 , that would have suited me - but we clocked 2.05, that along with a few stops - getting my jacket off - talking to marshals and shaking their hands to thank them - also, helping and giving support to a few fellow runners in trouble - just giving them comforting words of support really and sharing our drinks with them

So, the day it’s self

Well, it went like clockwork - from start to finish - it was a pleasure to be at an event like Bedford HM, we just did our own thing, it was just so perfect it’s just incredible,

We chatted and laughed with people, talked about things to some of them

All Bedford HM organisers and helpers were just simply superb

It again was one of those events where really it’s so sad it was over - pity it had not been a 20 miler ,

Sadly, as always - the only down side to it all -

Talking to fellow runners, you can hear from them just listening to them that ( though they don’t realise it ) they concentrate on the physical, and not on the physiological and mental stamina side of things - keeping that mind positive would make running so much easier for them -

But for us, - Thanks to all involved

Mick

• Options
    Hi Mick n Phil. My better half ran Bedford Half on Sunday, her first. She said you guys were an enormous support and a colossal inspiration that kept her going image.
  • Options
    Solo run tonight
    tea time i ran solo for 45 mins

it was refreshing

It gave me a little chance to think about things

enjoyable ?? sort of - main thing was i did it
  • Options

Great work in the Bedford half.

How's training going in general?