Mick n Phil's daily blog

Comments

• A nice 4 ¾ miler in 36 minutes

I have had rather sore legs and very tight calf and thigh muscles late Monday and today - which for me is very unusual - and I suddenly realised just what has caused it

Reading HM - being at the back of the race, weaving in and out - slowing down when I couldn’t pass people, at times I had to stop full stop for a split second or so - so never really or at all got my natural pace going

So, Tonight I knew my wife was at college and Phillip was with the nurse - so I decided to have a solo run on my own ( NO club ) I set off for a steady run- never intended worrying about any time or distance - and oddly enough I never fully settled - don’t know why , but the run was good for loosening my muscles, and good for the physiological stamina

On arriving home I found I had run 36 Minutes - and had run 4 3/4 miles - I was happy and satisfied with that - I will sleep on that tonight

Hoping all of u are well

• Tough Old Oakley 20 - beat me today

Let me say first of all that Bedford Harriers do a fantastic job of the organisation- it really is a first class event - everyone concerned was just great

Now, as for me today - it became tough - I’m not fully sure I was ever with it after about 8 miles, of course had it been a HM, then the physcology of miles would have been different - but it wasn’t !

I set my alarm for 5am - it went off ok. But I drifted back to sleep - I felt totally exhausted - but I awoke again at 6:30 ish, and got up and got on our way

Preparation for the race was perfectly normal - I really never gave anything a seconds thought -

Then the race began, everything was just fine, no obvious signs of any problems

So we moved along the miles ticked by - the weather was so perfect - I was only saying to people that when we get over the summit of the hill at 7 miles, the rest, not flat, but relatively flattish will be plain sailing

Then when we got over the hill - with no obvious discomfort I moved past 8 miles, the leader past, I thought great -

Then within the next mile I felt tired, my calf’s, thigh’s and groin tightened, and with 10 miles I felt mentally drained - just after 10 miles I was physically sick , but after that my stomach felt better, but I was never to recover- I thought about calling it a day after loop 1 at 12 miles, but I thought NO way - we don’t quit, but best I could summons was a fast walk and jog - at 13 miles, thought oh shite we have 7 to go - but kept my head on and had to use physcology,

By the time we’d got to 15 miles, I thought, oh well, a bad day but were on the way home now

I was glad to finish, but happy I didn’t desert the run at 12 miles,

Course was picturesque, marshal’s were fantastic, weather was beautiful

But I could produce nothing - still, least we finished ahh in 3:49

No regrets - but NO idea either on what , why, or how it went wrong - I had then and have now NO intentions of trying to think what went wrong- I ain’t beating myself up over it

Some you win - some you lose - Today I lost-

It was good to see people, some we know, some we talk to online -

Thanks to those who said hello

• Everybody has the occasional off day Mick. (Well, some of us have mostly off days with very occasional on days)

The best thing to do is forget about it, shrug it off, and get back on the horse. But you know that!
  • Maidenhead Easter 10 miles ( The PERFECT Event )

Today we clocked 1:23:30 at Maidenhead Easter 10 mile - I was just simply chuffed after such a poor run by us at Oakley 20 last week

The venue and course was quite perfect - a nice sized field of about 1300 I believe, we started at the back - and soon as the gaps appeared we picked off the field with ease

We just sailed through it all , it was simply great

We met so many people - Fetchies and RW formites - and others we know that are completely unattached - it was just fabulas seeing everyone

Now for Belvoir HM on Sunday

• A weekend double - Friday Maidenhead 10 in 1:23:30- & today Belvoir HM in a sweet 1:51

Belvoir HM ( Our 179th together ) in a SWEET 1:51

Gosh I’m real chuffed - will have to savour this feel good factor while I can

Bearing in mind on Friday we ran flat Maidenhead 10 miler in 1:23 :30

Today to finish off a weekend of running - we ran the flat - ish Belvoir HM, we just went off quiet, so nice and quiet, we had NOTHING to prove, I was after sub 2 - but as long as we ran well and cruised home I wouldn’t mind being over 2 hours - but the form and fitness I’m in, sub 2 is more like it, and besides, as I found out today - I’m still physcologically and mentally a sharp as ever

For me, The event was made all the better by ½ mile markers halfway in between each mile, and for me, it made it great - I simply lapped it up , I straight away thought right, lets make this a physcological jobby, no pressure, no worries, but there was never any worries, I was in real good control of it- at NO time was I bothered at all

I kept an eye on my watch for 6 miles, ( 51 Mins ) then I thought ok, no more looking at watch now until 10 miles, I knew we were on the way home, what small undulations there were I just changed my gait and pace and tackled them

10 miles soon appeared - it was 1: 23 - how’s about that I thought , same as Maidenhead on Friday , but I couldn’t let myself get carried away - NO room for complacency - then I simply battled on

To be honest I was just in my element, pure and simple - enjoying in my own world what I did best and enjoyed best - then of course came sadly to quickly the finish in 1:51

Boy was I simply chuffed, happy and relaxed, could feel proud of myself once more - so after watching the runners coming in for about 5 minutes, I changed into a dry top and jacket, and headed back up the road to cheer in the final runners- we met the last ones and the tail car at 11.5 miles, we came all the way back in with 3 of them

A proud day to remember- knowing we all get bad times ( Oakley 20 ) but knowing I can still hammer a HM with NO problems what so ever

• Mick n Phil

Have you been to Luton Marathon 2008 at all.I think I open the door for you when we start at Luton(But good news is differnt date this year)

• Mick n Phil,

Promising myself another half M this year (5 years after the last one) and feeling all sorry for myself when I get knackered after 4 miles. Then I read your blogs and feel a right pillock. Keep at it lads.

Bernie 

• Bungay Black Dog HM - Sunday 19 April will be our 180 th

Hopefully this sunday we 'll have the LONG and shit boring drive over to Bungay for the 12.30 HM start

it will be our 180 th HM together

It's a good course with small hills at 1 & 4 miles, we should break 2 hours

we ran the FM there in 2003 in 4:15 - but not this time, that's an overnight job for the 10.30 start - as we have Home soil Shakespeare following week

it should be EASY - EASY - EASY

• I've just sat and read the majority of this thread, keeping me up til nearly 1.30 in the morning! I think this blog and what you have achieved is inspirational. One marathon fills be with dread, let alone over 30 pushing a wheelchair! Thanks for an interesting read (though I really should go to bed now!)
  • Hi Mick and Phil.

Saw you at Belvoir. It was good to see you again and thanks for the encouragement at mile 10ish (I was the Salisbury runner). I was out for a PB attempt and was really going for it as I hadn't PB'ed at a HM for a long time and I did it! image By just over 1 and a half mins!

Was going to come over for chat after when I had my breath back but just missed you as you went back out but I'm sure I will see you at an event again soon!

Good luck at Bungay and at Shakespeare! Look forward to bumping into you again.

• Our 34th Marathon at Shakespeare in 5:05 ( our 313 th Race in total )

We had such a superb send off from the front last year- so this year I had decided months ago to go from the back- to give some support to fellow runners who were new or nervous or just inexperienced

We never intended to race it, not even when the gaps appeared, it was always meant to be a fun day - and finish when we finished

I was very much in control - in every way, I was cruising quietly and nicely, the first lap up Rumour hill was no problem, - Then when on greenway for first time , the surface hurt a bit, the wheelchair up and down ,but we carried on with little or no problem, then came Rumour hill 2 - went up ok, nice and steady no problems - hurt a bit going down, as expected

Then came to 19 miles, feeling real good, in all departments - cruised through to greenway for the long and draining running back , the surface took it’s toll on me - once or twice nearly sinking to my knees, 21.5 miles I hit the wall big time

What had happened I asked myself, ( allowing for change of surface - from road to path ) in seconds I had gone from a marathon runner in full control and charge to someone who could have just said NO more - it’s all over

But we pushed on walking and running, walking and running - NEVER intending on surrendering, it took full physcology of my mind, and a pure mental strength - and a pure lust of my love of my sport to see us through to the END - no matter how tough or painful

At the end, I was ecstatic, so happy, the mayor who I know well, gave us our medal which I said politely no to, but took it after to be polite - then in delight of being a marathon finisher in the town were our journey as a duo began - I picked the mayor up off her feet and spun her round and round in the air

I was extremely relieved and happy, and fairly tearful and emotional - we were congratulated my many, after our journey home of 2.2 miles, I slept heavy, felt very tired and tight in the muscles-

Last night, I actually questioned - “ is the another marathon left in me pushing Phillip “ but today after a good sleep and feed, feeling really good, I am ready for anything

It was great to meet people - well done to you ALL

Our quest and journey will go on - with NO surrender

• Our race diary for May

Sunday 3 May - Exeter GWR HM

Monday 4 May - Coventry 5

Tuesday 5 May - Silverstone 10k

Wednesday 6 May - DK 10k

Sunday 10 May - Tewkesbury HM

Wednesday 13 May - Rugby 6 ??

Sunday 17 May - Boddington Ultra ( hoping for FM on the 2.2 mile loop )

Sunday 24 May - Wokingham HM

Sunday 31 may - Northbrook 10k

• Hi Mick, good to see you and Phil after Shakespeare.
    You are, and always will be an inspiration to us all.
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Hi Mick
    Good to see you & Phil before GWR this morning (I was with my younger son, Michael) - hope you enjoyed the race.

EASY, EASY!

• Our race diary for May

Sunday 3 May - Exeter GWR HM -  completed in 2:12 - It was as it's always been a super event, we got around with miminal effort, in complete control at all times - great meeting people, and laughing and joking, and lovely crowd support

that was our 181 st HM together - our 314 th race in total -  well, onwards, to tomorrow

Monday 4 May - Coventry 5

Wednesday 6 May - DK 10k

• Bank Holiday Weeked & Summer Grand Prix Race 2 of 4

And Our race diary for May

Sunday 3 May - Exeter GWR HM - completed in 2:12 - It was as it's always been a super event, we got around with miminal effort, in complete control at all times - great meeting people, and laughing and joking, and lovely crowd support

that was our 181 st HM together - our 314 th race in total - well, onwards, to tomorrow

Monday 4 May - Coventry 5 - Today we clocked a very comfortable 51 Minutes - it's a 3 lapper- on road and paths in a park
    I consider that we ran it quite methodically - no pressure - tomorrow is where the fun really starts

Wednesday 6 May - DK 10k

• Bank Holiday & Grand Prix race 3 of 4

Our race diary for May

Sunday 3 May - Exeter GWR HM - completed in 2:12 - It was as it's always been a super event, we got around with miminal effort, in complete control at all times - great meeting people, and laughing and joking, and lovely crowd support

that was our 181 st HM together - our 314 th race in total - well, onwards, to tomorrow

Monday 4 May - Coventry 5 - Today we clocked a very comfortable 51 Minutes - it's a 3 lapper- on road and paths in a park
    I consider that we ran it quite methodically - no pressure - tomorrow is where the fun really starts

Tuesday 5 May - Silverstone 10k - WOW - tonight went like a dream, at 6.30 pm we set off on a warm up lap of Silverstone which we completed in 27:30 - which gave us about 35 minutes to get ready for the real thing

Then off we went the race itself, which we ran so sweetly in 53 minutes- i was and am still well chuffed - so, onwards positively for tomorrow

Wednesday 6 May - DK 10k

• Our 4 races in 4 Days

Tuesday 5 May - Silverstone 10k - WOW - tonight went like a dream, at 6.30 pm we set off on a warm up lap of Silverstone which we completed in 27:30 - which gave us about 35 minutes to get ready for the real thing

Then off we went the race itself, which we ran so sweetly in 53 minutes- i was and am still well chuffed - so, onwards positively for tomorrow

Wednesday 6 May - DK 10k - ( 58 Minutes ) What a superb night we had- we started at the back of the field and cruised up and down hilsl through wonderful countryside - i knew this was the last in 4 days of running until the weekend

I felt happy over our successful runs - but disappointed it was all over
  • I should try and get myself organised enough to get to the DK10K next year, keep meaning to - sounds like a great race, and it was a lovely night for it last night in the Black Country. image
  • mick, you realy are an inspiration. I did care work but went home at the end of the day. I cannot imagine how strong you have to be. Hopefuly I will end up at one of the races you do and w ould be very proud to say hi.
  • Nice rest now

Going to have a nice rest until Sunday's Tewkesbury HM - our 182 nd HM together

It's also our pb course of 1:43 - though i'm not looking for that , unless of course it looks likely on route

It's the following week i'm really looking forward to ( Boddington ultra ) we want a marathon out of it, on the 2.2 mile flat loop
    It'll be our 35th FM together
  • Expecting the unexpected

I'm shitting myself over tomorrow's Tewkesbury HM -
    Last year was hot and ran a diabolical 2:13

i was disgusted with myself

it's even our pb course of 1:43 - though they had changed the course and with the long start and finish on grass , it made it much harder

i admit i'm nervous -

what a pratt i amm
  • Glad i'm not the only one who's nervous about Tewkesbury tomorrow! I feel a complete fool, but I am in a bit of a tizz about it. Hope you and Phil have a good one and that the nerves spur you on to have a really good race. I live locally, and have just seen the weather forecast - it looks like it should be decent running weather, maybe even a bit of a breeze and some cloud. Fingers crossed! I'll wave hullo if I spot you both!
  • Perfect Day at Tewkesbury HM in 1:55 ( Our 182nd Together )

Today was a most perfect day in just about every way, a little warm at times, but this time I was ready for what ever the weather threw at me

2008 like a fool I went off from the outset looking for sub 1:43 our pb - we actually clocked 2:13, I blew up badly around half way

but today I just went to run, and see what happened, and it paid dividends, seeing as it was our 5 th Race in 8 days - I wasn’t surprised to feel just slightly negative at 11 miles - but was happy with 1:55

I felt pretty good and proud to know I was very much in control practically all the time, and when I did feel anything else, I simply eased off the pace - the course is very good, but still different to 2004 when we clocked our 1:43 pb there - so nothing can be compared really - and of course I had races in my legs from all week

Enjoyed the start - the run, water stations , and the finish I thought was quite amusing - we met lots of friends whom we’ve known for years and made new friends as well

I felt slightly sad at 10 miles that it was nearly over though , now whether that was what physiologically made me feel negative at 11 miles I don’t know , but it doesn’t matter - it was a fabulas day - something to be proud of and remember

Also I knew in my mind that we have Rugby 6 on Wednesday, not that that’s a bother , it’s a mere bit of fun - but what I was mindful of is - next Sunday 17 May we have the Boddington Ultra, just below Gloucester, it’s 2.2 mile laps, and we want a FM out of it

We hope you all enjoyed your run & day

• Well done Mick!

Boddington is this weekend coming is it?

• Our Next races

This Wednesday evening we are at Rugby 6 miler - I'm told it's a down hill and flatish and back up hill - Not that i'm bothered , it'll be an evening of fun

Then come Sunday May 17 - we have our 35th FM, it's at Boddington Ultra 50k near Gloucester, it's 2.2 mile loops - practically traffic free, BUT good as FLAT

it should be interesting, very interesting in fact , We've run it before but stopped after 18 miles - so, i'll spend the first loop reminding myself of the road surface conditions etc, and settling down,

then lap 2 - just refuelling on water and get myself into rythem and see how i'm feeling, pace wise i mean - checking my watch more on end of lap two than one

Then, i'll start putting my mind to a gentle but gruelling run, looking for the 3rd lap time and then after that towards looking for 13 miles, and working at it on my watch, by then i'll know whether or not to race it or not

as a matter of fact, i'm going to get there early and measure by car the mile mark , and mark it in my mind - and just settle - if i go looking for a fun day, i'll be relxed, if i go looking for anything special - i just as well not bother going

but i am ready for it, Physically, scychologically and mentally - it'll be nice to race something flat, knowing what to expect, AND it's great watching the leaders keep passing, i find that very inspiring
  • Our Next races

This Wednesday evening we are at Rugby 6 miler - I'm told it's a down hill and flatish and back up hill - Not that i'm bothered , it'll be an evening of fun

Then come Sunday May 17 - we have our 35th FM, it's at Boddington Ultra 50k near Gloucester, it's 2.2 mile loops - practically traffic free, BUT good as FLAT

it should be interesting, very interesting in fact , We've run it before but stopped after 18 miles - so, i'll spend the first loop reminding myself of the road surface conditions etc, and settling down,

then lap 2 - just refuelling on water and get myself into rythem and see how i'm feeling, pace wise i mean - checking my watch more on end of lap two than one

Then, i'll start putting my mind to a gentle but gruelling run, looking for the 3rd lap time and then after that towards looking for 13 miles, and working at it on my watch, by then i'll know whether or not to race it or not

as a matter of fact, i'm going to get there early and measure by car the mile mark , and mark it in my mind - and just settle - if i go looking for a fun day, i'll be relxed, if i go looking for anything special - i just as well not bother going

but i am ready for it, Physically, scychologically and mentally - it'll be nice to race something flat, knowing what to expect, AND it's great watching the leaders keep passing, i find that very inspiring