Mick n Phil's daily blog

Comments

• Hiya Mick, is Phil due home today? Am hoping that you and Mrs Mick managed some time together this week.
  • Phillip's  out of respite now, but he's gone with a community nurse until 6pm Saturday night

then it's early to bed, for Sunday morning, all guns blazing at the perfect  Wokingham HM

it'll be our 161 st HM together

and the form i'm in, i'll take some stopping

but, lets not forget, it's also to be ENJOYED for FUN

As we park in disabled area nr Start /  Finish, Mrs Mick should be with us

• Hi Mick

Glad your still in good form and your all going to be able to enjoy Wokingham. 161 HM it makes the mind boggle (2109.1M thats just crazy ) .

Hopefully see you to talk to tomorrow , all the best

• It's a lovely day so hoping you have a great time at Wokingham. Most of all, am hoping that it's

Easy. Easy. Easy.

xx

• Today was Simply so perfect
    Today we headed for Wokingham HM, it was to be our 161 ST HM together,

The weather was just so perfect, little did i know just how perfect the day would end up being... we met friends, had lots of laughs with people,

I knew today we could NOT race as race, as we have Draycote FM of 5 laps next week, so we set about hoping for anywhere around 2 hours or just under...

things started off just nice and quiet, could'nt move for 2 miles or so, which completely suited me, but i was to find gaps and soon get into my grove, and find what i am good at and enjoy doing.. i felt so happy, i felt free

it was very short lived though sadly, before we knew it we were through half way, never really noticing anything pace or distance wise, it was another day were we could have gone on and conquered 20 miles

trying to support fellow runners etc

i knew in our early days together we were clocking for HM's 1.43 onwards, but i really thought that that had gone now, what with Phillip being 6 years older and heavier, and of course me being an old git now

so, we smelt the finish in the distance, we pushed on remembering every time we picked up pace we had a FM next week, so i held back best i could

we eventually crossed the line on our watch at around 1 hour 48 mins , i knew we crossed the start line on about 4 plus mins, and the finish clock was on 1.52 , so yes

i felt so good, so really good, could'nt quite believe what i'd done

We went back to about 2 mile mark ish, cheering runners in, it was good to help others,

it's left me feeling just on top of the world again

So, i ain't finished yet !!!

There'll be more of Mick n Phil to come i reckon
  • Fantastic Mick!  Well done to you guys!
  • 10:05pm, Monday 11th February 2008 comment on this entry | edit | delete A perfect evening
    Hi Folkes

we've had a super time tonight with Stratford on Avon AC on the track

we covered about 5 miles in around 45 mins, it was lovely and cool and relaxing, it was perfect

though i'm going to rest my body now until Sunday for the Draycote 5 lap marathon,

though it should be EASY .. EASY .. EASY
  • Sounds like a couple of lovely days to lift your spirits. Well done!
  • Now preparing for this Sundays 5 lap Draycote water perimeter road marathon

it will be our 27 th Full marathon together, the weather looks pretty much PERFECT to me

It's Wednesday

now is where i pack things and mentally, remind myself that with gentle positive relaxed mind attitude.that we are the masters

we will defeat it, it will not defeat us 

only time and dedication will tell

• 10:57pm, Wednesday 13th February 2008 comment on this entry | edit | delete had a fair day
    We've been out to chinese buffet tonight, then to Weatherspoons , then to a monthly disco for Disabled people

we had some fun, but now it's down to some serious stuff for this weekend's marathon

after this marathon we won't do another FM until April , can relax on 13's and 20's meanwhile

this weekend is going to be a cold fresh weekend, according to the forecast, that should make PERFECT running conditions

but it's a game of mind tactics, a skill,
  • I hope and trust i still have that skill
  • I know you do, Mick!
  • It's a lovely morning down here, albeit frosty. Hoping that you have a great day at Draycot.
  • How we conquered Draycote Marathon
    it was Sunday 17 February 20008 - It was to be hopefully our 27 th Full marathon together,

Little could i of envisaged what was to come, and how we'd survive !!!

We knew the day was just perfect, the moment we arrived at Draycote, the daylight broke through, the sun shone, the water was so still, it was to be hopefully the most beautiful day that we could of imagined - as for those who do not know Draycote, when the wether is bad, it can be hell on earth.

We met fellow runners as they arrived, i was overwhelmed by their support for us, i must say more than once you all had me in tears.

We got ready as planned, i was very comfortable, no nerves, no excitement, no nothing really, it all happened so very quickly - so preperation over we made our way to the start line ...we had some fun, a little chitter chatter, a little joke here and there.

i knew what lay ahead, i knew the distance needed full repsect, but i also knew i could not allow myself to be afraid of it - so the gun went, we started off gently, the bit of lap first, just having fun, totally relaxed, no care in the world at all, it was a case of if we make it then great, if we don't well, it's tough luck ain't it mate LOL.

So onwards it was, the bit over, we were laughing setting out our stall, we set off into the wodland on lap one, i was settling and beginning to feel good, i was under no illusions though - it still had to be done, all sorts of things went through my mind, i began to feel , yes, lets do this, lets get lap one out of the way, leaving 4 shorter laps.

so lap one it was in 1.09 ish, setting out for lap 2, the straight laps from now on, i was beginning to flow, i was in command, i was in tip top form - i was ging to take some stopping, pure and simple.

Got off the long straights onto the wooded areas, steadily up the undulations, got to about mile 11,
    ( Oh my gosh, talk about, some ones killed kenny, ), my bloody cash twinged, like snapping a biscuit, i immediately went from fullish throttle to 40 % Par of power, oh my god, i was'nt half way

It just got worse and worse, completed in lap two by around 1.57 ? - then set about lap 3 , i was beginning to feel in
  • It just got worse and worse, completed in lap two by around 1.57 ? - then set about lap 3 , i was beginning to feel in desperate agony, the pain seized my leg completely, i was hobbling along, at times little feeling in my whole leg,

what do i do, - this was it, end of race, i considered withdrawing, as we were never far from the finish, i almost at one point took Phil's Number off him,

i wobbled on, walking with a one legged limp, and then trying to jog, i stopped, i sulked, i carried on, this was time to refuel, we fed - then comes along Tracey G, , id already been giving myslef a bloddy good talking to, i examinded every pscyhological area of my stamina that i had, i knew i was desperate, i talked to tracey, i some how forgot my pain,

i was approaching the end of lap 3 , though, hang on, i'm not ill, it's a super day, therre's only 2 to go, not 3 !!, it's so easy to call it a day ... NO, NO, NO - i'm not having it

we completed lap 3 in about 3.20, if only i could make lap 4, i was in with a real chance, i walked, i jogged, i cried, i kept saying to my self, - come on Mick, this isn't us, were not here to show off, were not here to impress anyone, were not here as a team, were not here to win anything .. it's a super perfect day, we are here for us ,

i knew had i have been a novice, with or without phillip i stood absolutely NO chance, i had to dig deep into all my reserves - all my experience, all my skill, all my physical strenght, all my mental satmina - there was to be NO submissions, no cowardis,

it was onwards, me and Tracey G, we plodded on, so to end of lap 4, it was 4.29

i could have just died there and then, i was in so much pain, I knew how much i wanted this marathon, etc, so, it was one lap to go , about 1 hour top go, i passed my car, i thought, NO, - onwards, my physcological strength and self belief ws paying dividends,

i was happy, tearful .. NO regrets at all - it was onwards, just hobble, jogged and walked, up through the wooded area, oh the finish was smelling sweet, - i knew i had it, i 'd done it, against ALl the odds, i was'nt beaten after all , my leg was sore and paining from my calf up to my thigh

we hit the long wall towrds the finish, i must have cried with emotional joy all the way, i spotted 25 miles, time did'nt matter, i was the champion, we were the masters, we Would NOT give in to pain, we would never surrender

we turned the corner to a 5.25 jubillant finish

i had no celebrtation left in me, only emotional tears - then Bless him, Roger Wilkes presented us with a gift, i don't know quite what he said exactly i was in pain,

i was seventh heaven, i want to THANK al of you fellow Fetchies for everything

I've slept well, i 'm tired, i'm happy, it was a disasterour PW of 5.25, but it's made me strong.

it has NOT depressed me or demorolised me , as a matter of fact it's done the opposite, it's left me feeling high
  • If we NEVER
    Our planned Full Marathons for 2008 are -

Blackpool

Robin Hood

Abingdon

Luton

But, if we never get to run another Full Marathon, after yesterday, well, i can sit here and LMAO
  • feelin real good
    Hi gang

i'm feeling real good - but NOT too complaceant,

I'm ready for GNW HM at Blackpool now on Sunday , that'll just be a jog

yesterday really did me so good, regardless of a marathon PW, it gave me a feeling of - How the hell did we do that !!

Really happy, really content, really feeling strong, both physically and physoclogically

Wierd ahh, how something so brilliant, can come out of something so bad !!

THANKYOU all
  • A HM after picking up an injury yesterday??  You must be made of steel!

Well done for soldiering on yesterday, I'd have dropped without a doubt, I admire your grit and determination! 

• Well done Mick! I'm sure that many of us would have dropped out under the circumstances - that bloody-minded determination of yours sure comes in handy at times, doesn't it ?image
  • You are both AMAZING - well done for last sunday.

How is your leg today?

• Well done Mick for carrying on in those circumstances.
  • True Grit Mick - well done dor the 5 lap marathon. True Grit

Hey and i didnt do a half last w/e cos i didnt feel i could do it justice - Mick once again you show us the way. Plod on friend . did anyone chant easy easy ....

• I'm fine now everyone

I'm a little tight and sore but notihng much, i've been out walking doing my letter box distribution

nothing that Sundays GNW HM at Blackpool won't put right, i might plod it, or i might kick almighty arse ..we yah - easy ... easy .. easy  LMAO

• Well done, Mick, and glad you're feeling fine now.  True inspiration.

Just use the GNW to shake off the aches...image

• GNW HM Blackpool
    Hi fellow runners

it's been a really lovely day - we all including Mrs Mick , set off for Blackpool about 5.30 am, had a pleaseant journey

Phillip and Mrs Mick had their medication and breakfast, i had mine, we then got our selves settled and ready

the rain that we encountered travelling held off, so race time arrived and we went off with the wheelchairs on what was to be our 162 nd HM - my calf just twinged at about 2 miles, it was and still is sore, but nothing like last week

once i knew my calf was still sore, and i had not fully recovered from last weeks marathon, i instantly eased off the pace, and reverted to fun run tactics

it's real fun at times just to run for fun, and not keep going against pb's or the clock

though i am serious about what we do, i also feel relaxed and postive running for pure fun and feeling good

We got to 5 miles before i really thought anything about any of it, and then to 9 , and knew we only had 4 left, and finally realised we were on the last mile

again it was a shame it was all over

Hence the reason we'll give Reading HM etc a miss next week, and concentrate on 3 or 4 weeks of grueling 20 milers, and a hilly HM after that

todays run was really refreshing on the sea front, we met lots of our friends, we spent lots of time laughing with people, it really was just a fabulas day
  • Sounds like another great day Mick! Hope that the calf soon settles down.
  • just caught up with your draycote race report mick - you always say the full is a mental game, and you proved it then. you've helped so many people through races so it was great traceyg could be there for you.

glad you all had a good day in blackpool - hope the leg is on the mend image

• yes, some one, being there for me for once took my mind off things

the form i was in, had my calf had not gone , after 6 miles or so, i for saw about 4.10 - 4.20.. but you never know

in the marathon there's NO room for complaceancy 

• Mick,

Just wanted to say thanks for helping me get round Watford.  For some reason I blew up just after 8 miles and from then on I was walking, running a bit, walking.  Just had no  energy.  I put it down to the beginning of a cold as I ended up with a coldsore, very run down and strange flakey skin on my body for a week.

You and Phil went past me in that wooded bit about 9 miles-ish (Easy Easy Easy) and that made me buck up a bit.  I actually went past you when you slowed for a hill.  If I hadn't been so knackered I'd have helped you push Phil up.  Of course as soon as it got flat again you cruised past.

But you kept me going.  If I hadn't seen you and Phil, I would have chucked it in.

I finished in a pitiable 2:16 but I finished.  So thanks a lot for your help.

Andrew.