Mablethorpe Marathon

Comments

• Rollerman - simple sticker for me "DB9"...be at pasta part for 6.

Haggus - can I count on you for some jelly babies this year??

Not sure what colours I'm racing in.  Fallen out with club and haven't got my South West Vets shirt yet so the sun will determine whether it's Asics white or Asics grey...

Weather forecast is still abs perfect....

Not sure what tyres to wear so bringing three maybe four sets....racing slicks or something more cushioned?????

• I think Haggus said she is not involved in this years Marathon, so no jelly babies.

She says she will be waving from her garden at Sutton, so may be we might get some there.

Me too then, a Rollerman sticker

• Rollerman

That's where I met her last year...

I'll be getting my JB's before you....

Look out for the sticker and 7yo know it all...

• Ah OK, that be her patch then, leave the black ones for me please.

Me finishing work today, of f to sunny Mablethorpe in the morning via Skeggy, so see you all there.

Good luck and god bless to you all.

• HI, FOLKS, I'M NEW TO THIS RW FORUM, I AM DOING THE 26 MILER THIS WEEKEND, THIS WILL BE MY 8TH 26.2 AND THE 13TH 20 MILE MARK.

DID FLM IN 3: 02 THIS YEAR(PB) TOOK OFF TOO SLOW, 1/2 WAY AT 1;33. NOT SURE WHAT TO EXPECT HERE IF  LAST 2 INJURIES DO NOT HAUNT ME, A SUB 3:10 MAYBE, THE COURSE SOUNDS SIMMALER TO A LOCAL 20 MILE RACE I HAVE DONE WELL IN ( 2:16 LAST 2 YEARS), IF I HIT SUB 2:20 AND FEEL GOOD IT WILL BE GAME ON!! 

I WOULD LIKE TO THINK THE LATER STAGES MAYBE EASIER THAN FLM  DUE TO LESS RUNNERS TO AVOID/ GETTING IN WAY, IF YOU HERE "COMING THROUGH " AL IS ON HIS WAY. I WOULD LIKE TO GET STUCK INTO A GROUP AND SHARE THE WORK.

I WILL BE IN MY DISTINCTIVE CLUB COLOURS OF RED, WHITE AND BLACK HOOPS( ST EDMUND PACERS).

GOOD LUCK EVERY ONE

• Evening all,

Well sadly I won't be joining you at the start line.  Sought advice from physio and been advised not to run the marathon on sunday.  To be honest that was what I had pretty much decided anyway.

Hope everyone has a great day and gets the times they have trained so hard for.

Hopefully I'm back to full futness soon...Next up FLM 2009!

A very gutted Daz

• Mr Mad - a late welcome, but come on board!

It'll be good to have someone of similar aspiration to share the pace, the highs and lows during the race.

DB9, Cat Girl, myself (and TROSaracen from Fetch) are all gunning for your kind of time, so look out for us at the start and let's form a pack!

You might be hoping for thin crowds on the later stages, but I understand the promenade section (23 - 26m) is full of holidaymakers who don't expect / avoid the runners.

[PS might be useful not to use CAPS ALL THE TIME. It's regarded as a bit loud on the forum posts]

Please come and grab me at the start - Easingwold navy vest, green hoops and bright red hair. # 125, and unmissable.

Darren - gutted, even though it's the right decision. There are other races coming up. Back off, refocus, concentrate on getting the shins sorted, then SLOWLY build the long runs up again. Keep posting!
  • Darren - Sorry to hear of your difficult decision but I know from personal experience that there are times when it is better not to run. There is always another day and after all your bad luck, I'm sure you're owed a good one soon.

Hello Mr Mad. To be honest I'd be a bit scared of approaaching a complete stranger pre-race and saying "Are you Mr Mad? "

Can someone please enlighten me as to the route of the marathon as  I can't seem to find the information on the website? I'd like to have some idea of what to expect.

• There's nothing wrong with capital letters if you are called MR MAD!!!

I might start using itallics and calling myself Mrs Emphatic.

Darren- Very disappointing for you. I have been through the same thing  as I expect everyone on here has at some point and know how frustrating it is. Get better soon. (((Darren))) 

CG- It is on the website. I'll go have a look and be back in a mo.... 

• Hey guys

Wishing you all the very best for Sunday

I will be back one day, but am at that marathon a bit up the road

xx

• http://www.mablethorpemarathon.org/marathon.html

From what I recall, although I was busy chatting for most of it (hence my time of about 5 hours 20), it's mainly on flat and very quiet country lanes. I remember at one point asking my friend whether we were on a road or a track because we hadn't seen a car for such a long time!!! The last bit along the seafront was great and it wasn't that busy even though it was a hot sunny day. I don't think anyone will get held up in the last few miles by throngs of holidaymakers seeing as it's not going to be great weather this weekend.

• Hello Hipps!!!! Good luck to you too (((Hippo))) x

What amused me last time was the emphasis on it being a road race, and that you were to run on the road and not the pavement as that was how the course was measured. So there were lots of runners on the main roads avoiding the empty pavement like the plague for fear of disqualification but risking getting run over!!!

• Anybody know what the course record is? got 2hr 43 in New York in 2006, so am hoping for similar on Sunday 
  • In that case Scarf, we'll not see you for dust on Sunday. Good luck!
  • Got the day off to relax, avoid the stresses of a Friday at work and chill out in the garden.  Hope everyone is top banana....although I still feel that even a two week taper, for me, is too long by about 10days.

Girls gone off to school with dry coughs and sneezes - "No, you're not staying at home"

A question for you more experienced runners about diet and fuel etc.  What is your usual routine leading up to a Sunday race in terms of meals and carbo loading?  Obviously too late to try anything new but I'm interested to know what everyone else is doing.

I'll be sporting a sticky sticker on my chest with "DB9" typed on it so do say hello.

See you all soon enough.

• Runners and Riders

DB9 - 83

EPS - 125

CG - 48

Rollerman - 168

Wicked D - 123

proper bo - 144

morticia - 111

Kev H - 70

• DB9 - I just eat.

Working at home (ish) this morning, then over to the Wirral for a wedding this afternoon. I expect there will be lots of opportunities for "carbo loading" this evening.

A short run tomorrow through Eastham woods before breakfast, I think. I've cut the mileage right back this week, and am probably the better for it, but it will still be a 50 mile week by the time I've run round Mabo.
  • scarf wrote (see)
    Anybody know what the course record is? got 2hr 43 in New York in 2006, so am hoping for similar on Sunday 

The record is 2:44:26.

See you all on Sunday, although I will be in the 10k race.

We are dissapointed that the marathon committee have ignored our advice of starting the marathon first, followed by the half second and the 10k last. They have been in several meetings with us (Mablethorpe Running Club) and we thought they had took this point on board.

• Denz1968

I agree with your sentiments and was not, still not, convinced by the reasons given (for the change).  Quite how slow the 10K peeps were/are to affect the faster marathon train is beyond me.

I hope this year will be a success but next year I will be going to Berlin and guaranteed organisation.

• Off to work and then straight to Mabo tomorrow so a final GOOD LUCK!!!

I expect I will see you all tomorrow anyway.

Relax today and eat carefully. Don't go eating a multi-pack of Curly Wurlies like I just did cos now I feel sick!!

Bye!!!!!! 

• Ooh that's spooky - I have a pack of curly wurlies in my bag.....

Denz1968 - just to clarify my earlier point which should not be read as there being poor organisation. 

After last years race there was a lot of feedback to the organisers on ways to improve this great event.  The start time for the mara was/is one of the items I mentioned along with the energy drinks (which has recently been acted upon).

• Curly Wurly used to be my nickname !

It's pooring down with rain here in Sleaford at the moment image

• Don't know what I'm thinking.

I meant poUring!

BTW my driving has been terrible today

• Just to clarify it is the 10k, half then full marathon last at 10am?

In terms of carb loading, nothing special for me bit of pasta fri and sat. Tapering down for the week should be enough. Not much running so less calories burnt, no need to go overboard or will feel sluggish. I will be having a bowl of cereal, 2x poached egg on toast and a bowl of porridge with a banana for breakfast. Then I have that every morning. Works for me.

Ex-pat Scot thanks have a good run too

DB9 - dont I make the list?

• scarf - apologies...what's your race number??  (and I'll boing the list)
  • Hi folks,   i had the day off to day and dont go back until wed, I stay in Mabo on sunday night as well to avoid rushing back. A bit of beer and sand castles afterwards, rest then slowly prep for the x country season and traditional moan at the FLM ballot.

Diet wise i am on the lucozade, odd banana and mars, the night before i may go to pasta party but for previous 26.2s i have an overdose of KFC, 2 pints of guiness at lunch time the day before sets me up for a good relaxed afternoon seeing the footy results come in, after i have had a nap!!

B fast tends to be yoghurt, banana coisants or toast with lots of honey with strong coffee, i usually down a pint of water and bottle of lucozade as soon as i get up,  an hour B4 the race a slow mars bar and lucozade.

i dont know my number yet as i entered online late due to injury niggles, i collect it on the day, did a 4 miler in the local park to day, may be a 2 mile jog and stretch on the beach on sat.

looking forward to sunday, ive put no expectation of time to presure myself, i just want to feel good at 1/2 way to set the other 1/2 up, i have not done many small 26.2s other than Luton, what a mistake that was !!!

• DB9 - fuel for me before a Mara is Porridge, with strawberries and Natural <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <wimagenapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {pageimageection1;} --> <!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->Yogurt, I make my own energy drinks 50% Water 50%Orange Juice with a pinch of salt and few drops of Guarana 

I also may have peanut butter and bread as a last minute snack as it can aid with energy and with drinking fluids

about hour before I may have a VERY strong Coffee such as at Starbucks while i relax and people watch 

• pasta party tomoro night....YEEEAAAAHHHH

hope to see you all there