Mablethorpe Marathon

Comments

• hey guys I won't be there but good luck to DB9 and EPS - I'll be looking out for the race reports
  •  For Scarf:

Kev H - 70

DB9 - 83

EPS - 125

CG - 48

Rollerman - 168

Wicked D - 123

proper bo - 144

morticia - 111

scarf - 88

I'm so excited that I couldn't sleep in even though it was my first opportunity in months! We're setting off in a bit so good luck to everyone. Hope to meet some of you tonight or tomorrow and looking forward to the tales of triumph and courage. (DB9 - i'll give you a ring when we've got booked in for a little saunter on the beach and my mobile is : 07886889599)

Woo hoo! 

• Hello all,

i'm now setting off to head up the road, my next entry will be the reflective account on how it went.

i have never felt so laid back before a 26.2, i hope it pays off tomorrow,

might go to pasta party 2nite to get the race feeling, dont normally do pasta nights, i am sometimes a bit grumpy ,however being laid back as i am now i am just looking forward to the start.

dreaming of sub 3, but being honest i know a sub 3:10 is more my limit, with my PB @ 3:02 i will not accept a new one unless under 3,  looking forward to resting afterwards and getting ready to retain the east anglian x country league with my club and choosing which IRON-MAN to do in 09!!!

all the best folks i aim to do a 2 mile and stretch session for 20 min 2nite, any one willing to have some banter call me 0770 666666 20.

• anyone know where the results will be posted???? had my official time by text just need the web page for club result
  • Mabo results http://www.racelive.co.uk/results.php -
    select year & month.

Hope you had a good one?
  • 3:02 for me, and 6th place overall.

That was hard work!
  • Had a bad day at the office, 4th but should have been at least 2nd. Was leading for 1st 15 mile then cramp set in just about hobbled the last 11 mile. The wind got to me big time - was hospitalised with pnuemonia summer 07 and have always struggled with wind since. EPS well done and you are right it was hard work.

Anyone else dissapointed with their goody bag, a magazine and a stick of rock. Didnt last year get jelly babies/ laser etched memento?

• Scarf - you looked pretty disappointed at the finish- you were motoring at the start and quickly off into the distance when I last saw you! You still finished 12 mins ahead of me though.

I too was rather underwhelmed with the goody bag. I had heard tales of laser etched trophies from last year. That's not why I ran though. It would have been nice to find a wee bit of food there, but on the positive side there was loads of Lucozade Sport from 12 miles on and at the finish. That's the main priority for me. I'd rather they spent the money on that, than a fancy "party bag".
  • Thought the day was in the main was pretty average, enjoyed the 10k run but had to dodge oncoming runners and the public in the 10k, possibly the marshals could have been a bit more vocal and directive? when watching the marathon a little later in the day the situation was worse. A lead cyclist with a whistle would have been a godsend along the prom.

Felt sorry for the chap who was trying his best to do the presentation, under pressure from some ill mannered  and unknowledgable 'runner'. Nice touch to get a GB Hockey player to be at the presentation though.

Think the organisers missed an opportunity to host a great 10k course/race

• I was, EPS did they rectify the problem near the end by the time you got there? Just after the playing fields there were no marshalls or signs to tell you to turn left. I moaned at every marshall i then saw so hopefully they sorted it out for everybody else

Admittedly you dont run for the goody bag but found it strange that no food was included jelly babies. fruit, bars anything. Should have reduced entry fee.

God, i sound like a right moaning git. Still it was a nice day out, friendly atmosphere amongst public and fellow runners so not all bad.

if only it was a 15 mile race lol

• I had to shout to the marshalls to point out which way I was supposed to go, especially on the last section round the houses. It's rather frustrating when you are absolutely cream crackered and desparately trying to crank up the effort for the final last bit.

Still - I was happy overall with the event. It had a great feel and whilst obviously not staffed by hardcore runners it was nevertheless pretty decent.
  • Good to meet Rollerman and DB9. Well done on the PB DB9.

I did 4.19 and was happy with that. Found the wind hard in the second half. B&B was great and I liked the town. Found a good Italian restaurant for Saturday evening and enjoyed a stroll along the promenade.

Drove back to Kent after the race and it took nearly 5 hours to get home, so I was a little tired last night!

I would do this one again .

• I was pleased with my effort of 3:07 and 11th place. I did not enjoy the seafront dodging the dog walkers, and agree that the marshalling could be better in the last 1/2 mile, I even had to stop and ask which way to 1 marshaller who was suprised to see me.

I thought the marshalling was very good in the country lanes with good police support.

The goody bag could be better with more food but I was very pleased with the supply of lucozade on the course, to me this make3s the difference between coming back and not.

I think I will do this again, I have Ironman plans for next year but I will reccomend this to other club members as a good event with a race for all different needs. I think it is important to remember this was only year 3 and with a few tweeks it will be even better.

I would reccomend a bit more lively music at the start of all races.

• Agree with you entirely, Mr Mad.

Whilst it would be nice to have a bumper goody bag, I'd far rather have well stocked drinks and energy supplies around the course.

From your finishing time, I suspect you were in "my pack", running together in a group of 4 or 5 at half way and gradually splintering around 18-20 miles?
  • I think anyone who ran the marathon yesterday really "earnt" their medal.

Just got home home to Dorset myself Kev.  5hrs 30 each way is a freaking long drive but glad I made it to Mabo for the second time.

I found the wind incredibly difficult in the second half of the race and as much as I tried to close the gap on the pack (that for an awful long time was led by EPS) it stayed constant and I only managed to pick off a few that suffered from cramps.  The WIND was just too much for me.  Yes I've ran in windier conditions but not 13.1m into a headwind after 13.1 miles with it NOT on your back!!

Once I got to 20 I was "well done" and by Sutton On Sea was looking to just to finish.

Very pleased to have got a PB and GFA time for London 2010.

Great to have met some formites like Kev (at the B&B), EPS (in the shower), CG and Joe (good few beers last night with morticia and stuart)  and of course Rollerman...

I thought the organisation was good.  Lots of nice touches and commitment from towns folk that aren't into running.  They put on the event for the benefit of runners and the town benefits from that in many ways.

Some sort of food at the finish would be good.  I've had enough Lucozade to last me until FLM!!!

I had a fab time and wheres before I thought "I'd like to do Berlin next year"...now I'm not so sure.

Off to update my profile with a brand new shiny PB...wahoo..

• DB9 - you might want to update the comments about rendezvous in the shower. It might give some people the wrong idea...

Sorry I didn't catch you afterwards for the promised ice-cream. I got the call from Mrs XPS that the children were being dreadful and why wasn't I on my way seeing as I'd finished so early! Maybe I should have taken my time ambling around the route...

It was a great day, and all the more so for being put on by the town rather than simply by a running club. There was a real sense that everyone got involved, even if at times there were a few amateur hiccups such as non-direction-pointing marshals or odd start-time decisions.

3 rather painful miles for me today at a very tender 9 min miling, just to ease tired legs after a sedentary morning at my desk.
  • Well done everyone. 

Just missed PB by 13 seconds!

35th in 3.38.59.  I made the mistake of running the first half with some 3.15 guys which got me to half way in 1.37 and paid for it with 2.02 for the second half. I got cramp(never had it before-any suggestions would be gratefully recieved) at around 25.5 miles just after the last little steep bit and could barely walk for a couple of minutes.

I collapsed at the end and could not speak properly.  I had to spend 1/2 hour recovering in the medical tent. I needed some food but a stick of rock isn't much good! There were cheese rolls last year.

I agree with the comments regarding marshalling it's as if some of thought that we should know the way!

I think there is new organizing committee this year.

• 3hrs 43mins for  me and a new PB, i thought i'd over cooked the 1st half of this and getting on to the prom at Sutton on Sea HURT and as with last year this final stretch I had to dig deep, last my time was 4hrs 24mins although i was carrying an injury

I'm well happy with my time this year a bit more training and i may get to go sub 3hrs 40 next year 

i too could have done with some food at the end

it was a different T-shirt this year BUT I'll always wear the 1st ever T-shirt from the 1st ever Mabo Mara as i did at this years event5

roll on next year as I'll be back no matter what  

• Hi Wicked D,

How's the neck?

• Hiya all.

First posting for me on this forum... good to catch-up on the comments and nice to read that so many of you had a good race with lots of PB's to boot!

This was my favourite Mara to date and enjoyed it MORE than the big city maras. It was fast, flat and friendly and good fun (for a mara). It was a well organised event although I agree that there is room for improvement, namely accurate mile markers, better marshalling for the last 4 miles and food at the end.

It was also good to meet several of you (Hiya DB9, how you feeling?) at the end and good to have a few beers afterwards.

Defo will be back next year... but may be just the half next time!
  • Good to see that most people enjoyed this - it's my local marathon (still an hours drive,) so I'd hate to see it come to an end.  Not sure I'd fancy 4 or 5 hours in a car afterwards!  Most complaints last year regarded the lack of loos, which was addressed this year.  I think the crowds were better this year, so local people seem keen on the event.  Still think the bit around the houses is hard because it comes as a bit of an anti-climax after the promenade stretch. 

• Hi all

I am a member of Mablethorpe running club and on the committee there. We are reveiwing all your comments as next year the running club will actively be involved with the festival of running committee to get improvements for all runners.

I hope this event can go from strength to strength and improve year on year.  If you have any questions or comments please message me here and we will bring them up with the festival of running committee next Tuesday at the debrief meeting they are holding.

Denzil

• Hiya Denzil

First of all can I say well done to everyone involved as I thoroughly enjoyed this Marathon and altough I have only ran four this has been my favourite to date (and that includes London). Also due credit to your Mayor/Mayoress who turned up to both the Pasta party and the event itself.

Just to clarrify one of my earlier "improvements" the marshalling/policing was excellent upto Sutton-on-sea when you needed it the most as you came in to contact with holiday makers. Also a banana/flapjack at the end wouldnt have gone amiss.

All in all an excellent weekend and hope it continues for many years to come.

• Denzil

I echo Stewy B's sentiments. This is a fabulous event and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know the organisers would like to make this more of a mass event but it has something special about it because it is so small.

I think part of the problem regarding the holiday makers on the sea front was because they didn't have a clue what was happening. Maybe more posters advertising the event and asking them to respect the runners might have the desired effect?

I don't do races for the goody bag so no gripes about that but I would have preferred an earlier start time and more noticeable mile markers in the last stretch.

Thank you to all the organisers and the stewards for such a unique and special event.

• Hi Stewy and CG - fab time at Mabo and I feel I'm pulled back already to.............

Denzil - I feel that some runner reprentation on the organisers team would be of benefit.  This was the second time I've done Mabo and having driven the 5 1/2 hrs each way from Dorset then I feel it's worth me putting time into a response about what improvements I'd suggest.  I will post them here before the weekend.

It is a fab event but I hope it doesn't get too big!

• I miss Mabo image

Have been listening to Tom Hark today as it reminds me of those machines at the amusement arcade.

'The whole thing's daft, I don't know why
    You have to laugh or else you cry
    You have to live or else you die
    You have to laugh or else you cry'

It will forever remind me of Mablethorpe...... 

ROLL ON NEXT YEAR!!!!!

Can I start a list?!!

[slapping myself to calm myself down- naughty,naughty morty....

• morticia you are still as mad as a hatter - haggus x
  • Morticia, I saw a house for sale just off high street so you could go and live there, and then when the Mara rolls around each year, the rest of us would have a free "B&B" to stay in... but only if there was a Chipy near by... (sigh)

Any more sigtings of the green sea monster yet??
  • Hello Haggus!!! I am going to persuade the Hippo back next year. Why would anyone prefer Robin Hood anyway I ask you?!!!

Hello Stew!!! I can see the green sea monster on my mobile whenever I feel the urge.

I might be able to afford one of those beach huts....

DB9- I had something amusing that I wanted to share with you but not publicly. If you e-mail me (as I am e-mail enabled), I will e-mail you back. Please don't worry though I am not stalking you or about to bombard you with anything dodgy!!!!!image