Mablethorpe Marathon

Comments

• I would say that it was a really great race, and improvement points are being picky. But here's my thoughts:

1. prizes for 6th place (!)
    2. 9am (or 9:15 at the latest) start for the marathon
    3. please remind the marshals to direct the runners where the route might be ambiguous. There were lots of arrows (v good), but a few times at the end these were absent. Also remember that the majority of the runners will be in a special world of pain in the last 6 miles, and "clear and simple" works best at this point.
    4. don't change the water stations. However please add Lucozade Sport to the earlier ones, as it's important to be taking energy on early in the race. No point in LS after 20 miles really.
    5. i think some of the mile markers might not have been too accurate - I could be very wrong though! But please be aware that these are key for pace judgment, especially early on in the race, so it's quite nice to have them as accurate as possible.
    6. mile markers on the prom for 24 and 25 would be pretty good, as well as a 26, so we know how far to go and winding up the efforts.
    7. if the goddy bag budget would stretch to a bit of food, then that would be money well spent- fruit, sandwich, flapjack- anything really. [but my priority would always be to spend the money on adequate signs, and above all water and LS sport]
    8. the biggy. 26.2 miles of nice windbreaks around the course please. I'm sure the town has plenty of these from the seafront!

Looking forward to an even better event next time.

PS photos up on the website now. There's a lovely one of Morticia and CG early doors, and a few of myself and of DB9 looking cool at the end. If I recall, they were taking pictures at a drinks station around 8 miles as well, and these ones aren't up yet/
  • OK so Mabo 09

CG, morticia, Stewy, Joe, EPS, DB9.....any other takers???

EPS - I can't find the photo's ......please help!

• I couldn't work it out either. I had to ask Stew!
  • ... And I had to ask the green sea monster of mabo!!
  • DB9

I hope to be there next year. Meantime it's the New Forest for me on Sunday.

• I had a vasectomy yesterday.

I feel better than I did after finishing the marathon!

The only problem is that I can't run for 2 weeks now image

• I felt fantastic after finishing the marathon so if a vasectomy makes you feel even better I'm going to have one of them too! image
  • Keep forgetting to say well done to everyone particularly EPS- you must have been well chuffed!!!!
  • Kev - meant to say best of luck with that one in the NF.  It's a demanding course in hot weather but you will be fine with Kent already done and dusted...

So proper bo - some pretty spectacular colours will be setting in just now!!!!!!

• Thanks for that DB9 - I was midway through lunch and you've just put me right off.
  • hiya denz

a mablethorpe marathon video of the 10k is on you tube..saw youimage

• For anyone interested in the 10k youtube video the link is

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oIJJjoT27VY

Denz

• Denz

I will post here before your meeting on Monday.  I'm away now and have not had the chance to put thoughts down.

Hope everyone has recovered well.....CG, Morticia, Stewy, Joe, EPS and proper bo....how's the fireworks below?

• Legs recovered fine.
    Mon 3 miles very gentle
    Tue 3.05 miles recovery pace
    Wed 5.57 m @ 7'28 pace
    Thu 3.11 m @ 7'32 pace
    Thu 3.84 m @ 6'43 pace (club run)

That's quite a lot really! I need a couple of proper gentle days I think.
    Last night's club run was a bit of a blast and I'm happy the speed was back in the legs without any aches or pains.

I'm not planning on racing anytime soon though. Running a quick 3 or 4 miles is one thing: the legs will need a few weeks before they are truly strong again.
  • Hi All

Had a couple of days doing next to nothing. I can quite easily handle this life... Back to work on Monday thoughimage.

My legs feel like they want to run another marathon!

I managed a couple of pints of the dark stuff last night at the clubhouse, which was nice.

11 days and counting until I can run again....

DB9

Op went fine-no fireworks image.  I've not even needed one painkiller!

• Thanks for sharing that proper bo. I might have to pick your brains about the op some time. With 4 mini-XPSs we certainly aren't planning on any more...
  • EPS,

Anytime. I went to a doctor in Boston that uses the latest no-needle/laser (no pain honestly) techniques.

Here's a link to his website:     http://www.bostonvasectomyclinic.co.uk/

The NHS waiting list is around 2 months or £225 private for sooner.

• Pre race informationI was concerned that the lack of information from the organisers and the timing of the race packs being despatched.  I guess the late change in start times had something to do with that.  Personally I did fret at the change in start time (as I knew  of the marathon and would suggest that, for future races, the longer distance is the one to be set off first.Pre race pasta partyFabulous event.  Good change from the Entertainment Centre to the marquee and no queues as in the previous year.  Plenty of food available...pasta, fruit, cake etc.  Relaxing atmosphere, good information and the obligatory death by raffle!Race facilitiesPlenty of toilets, baggage handling, masseur, floor space to collapse, friendly Marshalls, plenty of water.CourseGood, fast course.  Plenty of water stops and I welcomed the addition of energy drinks (unlike last year when it was purely water).  Marshalls were very enthusiastic and supportive (as were the Police).  Local residents in the villages around the course were encouraging too.  Mile markers were clearly visible and I saw all except mile 24 and 26.As far as the stretch on the Promenade went I found it mentally very tough.  23-25 seems to take forever particularly when you have the residential flats to aim for as a landmark.  Having completed the race last year I knew about the twist in the tail around the houses at the end.....but it wasn't any easier!People/spectators on the promenade seemed genuinely enthusiastic if a little unaware of there being a marathon.  Therefore maybe some communication to indicate that they are sharing their promenade with runners.  Was there any publicity of the event locally to advised local communities and residents?  The marshals where I encountered pedestrians were excellent and made people aware I was looking to run through.
  • Post raceI was exhausted but elated.  Good to just collapse and share the experience with other runners.  Being presented with my medal by the Mayoress was a nice touch and added to the occasion.  Most of the large races you get it tucked inside a bag!I don't have any complaints about the goody bag, I prefer to have a medal rather than a race t-shirt but acknowledge that some food at the end would have been beneficial - an energy bar - especially now as there are two supermarkets involved with the sponsorship.  Fortunately for myself I was prepared before hand and had food with me for the finish (not that I felt like eating anyway).  Having access to the bar and area serving tea/coffee was a bonus.Presentation ceremony was spot on and nice to have the Olympian there to hand out the awards.Very friendly atmosphere - a real credit to the people of Mablethorpe. WindCan you erect a few more turbines so we don't have to run the second half with the wind in our faces!!Next yearAre there any dates you have in mind for next years race?  I spoke with one of the organisers who was disappointed that the race clashed with Nottingham (because, according to her, the plan was to have Mabo in the first week of September??).  Therefore is the plan to raise the numbers competing in the various races?  When will/would a future race be announced?Conclusion
    • I hope for Mabo that the race retains its unique appeal.
    • I enjoyed the experience of running in a small number.  The contrast to London (my only other marathon) is immense but a tribute to the people/organisers that this is such a good event.
    • I'd be interested to know what the local running club will bring to the party and why they've not been involved until now. 
    • Personally I would not want Mabo to lose any of the effort it has already achieved with the people from the town itself putting in so much work.  I hope the town benefits from having the influx of people either running in one of the events or there to support.
    • I will run this event again in the future but would prefer a later date.  Certainly no earlier than the second week in September but appreciate that you are trying to capture some sun for the non runners. 
  • Sorry for the above blurb.....didn't quite cut 'n' paste right out of email.

Shame the guy that fell over didn't mention the heroics of Kev Hanney!  He could have said "yeah I lost a lot of blood but would've lost a lot more had it not been my fellow runner who ran a mara the previous week who ran off to get a first aider"....

Cracking green monster morticia...what was it you wanted to say to me??

Ran every day this week, just a few odd miles.  A weekend of relaxing for me, going away for my burfday, light training come Monday and back into proper come the following week.

• Well said.

I like the fact that it clashes with Robin Hood as that keeps it a small event!!

As EPS said earlier the energy drinks could be better placed. Could do with being shifted 'back a station' as there is no need for it so close to the end but could do with it starting slightly earlier. 

A 9 o'clock start would have been better as has been said many a time.

I like the bit along the prom. It must be annoying for the faster runners to try to get past the holiday makers but I really think the change of scenery gives you something to look forward to when you are getting tired. Personally, if I wanted a PB I would choose a less scenic course with more runners to spur me on (hence Leicester!)

This was my 14th marathon and it's easily my favourite. I can't even explain exactly why.I miss Mabo!

• Spot on!

Only the third mara in my (ahem) running career!

Mabo twice and London.

• DB9- The monster machine is in Mabo indoor market. I saw CG and Mr CG the next day and they introduced me to it . I got a guide book from the tourist office with a few bits about the marathon in that made me smile. I already showed it to the others. I didn't want to post it on here as it may have caused offence, and I don't want to do that as I love this marathon. Have I mentioned that before? I love Mabo. I miss Mabo.

• morticia et al...a date for next year....Sept 13th.

I had a response back from the organisers and it was/is very positive toward the comments made. 

I had a great time at Mabo (I do miss Mabo v much too)....so green ribbons it is at next years pasta party...

I'll be over on the <3.15 fred.......

• So long, farewell, auf wiedersehn goodbye.

I have a strong suspicion that I'll be seeing you all on Sept 13th next year.

[UNLESS I do something really stupid, to mark my 40th. Like this in 2009 (or here). It's my local.]
  • Thanks for the info people. I will copy all this and bring it up at the meeting tomorrow night.

Denz