Northumberland Coastal Run

Comments

• FlurilloFlurillo ✭✭✭

you'll all be glad to here that it should be light showers only on the day, with a North North Westerly wind and about 11-15 degrees centigrade!!! Not to bad considering what the weather has been like in Manchester for the last week. image

• is it road shoes? - I had assumed the terrain would have suited trail shoes. I've never done this before so any advice from someone who has would be helpful.

• I believe road shoes are fine Alf.

I is deffo doing this now.

Knew you'd all be pleased imageimage

• hazzervyehazzervye ✭✭✭
    Alf I've done the last couple in road shoes and had no problems (apart from crawling through the sand on the last beach)!!!!!
  • Thanks Anne for the info.

Enjoy the race tomorrow folks and all the very best.

Mick.

• Can't wait for this tomorrow, this is my first race and i've managed to stay injury free mostly apart from I stubbed my big toe yesterday and it's a bit black now, shouldn't be a problem though hopefully. It'll be a fairly early start for me travelling up from near York. Is there only one race bus to Beadnall from alnmouth? I've got a place on it but i don't think i'll be there for 8.30 so i'll have to get my parents to take me to Beadnall i guess. I've got a bit of a daft question too, how do you stick race numbers to t-shirts/vests image i've not done it before image

See you all tomorrow!

• Kasavian-Congrats on your first race.Hopefully it'll be one of many for you.

I did this race 2 years ago and from what I remember there was about 3 buses leaving from Alnmouth to Beadnell.I suppose it will depend on numbers.

You can use 4 safety pins to keep your number to your vest/t-shirt.

All the best.

• Kassavian - The first bus leaves at 8.30am and the others leave as quick as we can fill them up. Last year the last bus was on its way by about 9.15am.  There is a bit of leeway but I strongly recommend that you don't leave it any later than 9am. 

Anne

Race Admin

• Thanks Anne! We should be there before 9 traffic permitting, need to make sure i get a good nights sleep now!
  • hazzervyehazzervye ✭✭✭
    Well that was fun,weather not to hot, great following wind,no queueing at the-removed-stile and a course pb.

Sometimes I enjoy running other times,like today, I love it!

Thanks to all the friendly marshalls,when do entries open for next year?

Hope everyone who posted has as good a time as I did,anyone off to Harrogate next week for an, equally,enjoyable and sometimes challenging 10k??
  • Afternoon all

Had a cracking day and a cracking race.

Many,many thanks to Anne and all the marshalls,staff,from Alnwick Harriers for organising and putting this event on.

It really doesn't disappoint this event.Great race,great crack,great event and the scenery first class.

Loved the mini water bottles.Ideal for a quick few mouth fulls.

Thanks to RW forumite, Tutu Much, for running with me.

Got round in 1hr48mns(my watch),happy with that,15 mns faster than in 2006.

Thanks again.

Mick.

• From Alnwick Harriers

Results are now on www.alnwickharriers.co.uk. (Select the results page.)

Thanks everyone for taking part. I hope it lived up to expectations. There was tone of pressure on us this year after you voted it the Best Race in Britain. We do act on any feedback received so feel free to forward your comments either here or on our website and I'll pass it on to the committee.

See you all next year.

Anne (Race Admin)

• woo hoo, what a top run oot ,1 hr 39 mins!

knocked 6 mins off last year and spotted a new short cut for next year! Cheers to Anne and all the Alnwick harriers for a splendid race.

phil green

• hazzervyehazzervye ✭✭✭
    Anne,a great run(as always) thanks for what I'm sure must be a bucket full of really hard work.
    Just tried to get on the results via the link and results page and nothing doing am I missing a trick?
    Thanks once again
    Hazz
  • Massive thanks to anne and all the race marshalls for organising a fantastic event! I had a thoroughly brilliant time, the thought did cross my mind that i'm blooming well not doing this again at around the 11 mile mark, but by the finish i was ready for more!! For my first ever race i couldn't have asked for anything better!

Thanks Again!!

Andy

• What a fantastic day!  I enjoyed it so much. Thanks to Anne and all involved in the organisation of it - it certainly lived up to expectations and was worth getting up at 3.15am for!!!

Mick - it was an absolute pleasure to run with you, I was very sad that I couldn't keep up after 7/ 8 miles or whenever it was I lost you!  Well done on a great time. I came in at 1.50 in the end which I was really happy with. Only 12 seconds behind Jovi who I was desperately trying to catch up!!

I loved how varied the course was, and obviously the scenery, and the really friendly marshalls and locals who came out to watch and clap - it was just such a nice atmosphere all round.

Off to bed, absolutely exhausted! See you all next year! image

• Just back from the Coastal Run. Our club made a weekend trip of it and we all agreed we had an amazing weekend, topped of f by a fantastic Coastal Run. I enjoyed the race even more than last year. It just felt good to be alive as you ran across the beach with the waves crashing and taking in the scenery. Everyone of our club runners said what a fantasticlly enjoyable run they had had. Great organisation, friendly smiling marshalls and just the right amount of water stations which seemed to be there just when we needed a drink.  I knocked 6 mins off last years time which I was really pleased with given my training has been a bit hit and miss over the last couple of months. After having a few bad races recently this race has restored my confidence in and love of running.

We all had such a great time we agreed we will all be signing up for next year as soon as entries open & persuading more of our fellow club runners to join us next year. It has even converted a club mate who is a confirmed road runner to the joys off off road running & another said it was many years since he enjoyed a race so much.   

Huge thanks to Anne and all her helpers for a fantastic race.

The only thing I would suggest for future years is a few more portaloos at the start and if the kissing gate just before Dunstanburgh Castle could be temporarily taken down too that would be brill.

Hazzereye - I can indeed highly recommend the Harrogate 10K  next weekend  - although as one of the race organisers I may be a little biased....image although I cannot promise such scenic conditions as the Coastal Run!

• Loved loved LOVED this race  image.

This was my first time for the Coastal Run ... I'd read about it last year from Stoxy but thought 'A half-marathon plus multi-terrain, undulating run .... erm, no thanks!!!' but saw that it won Race of the Year last year, so thought I'd be brave and give it a go.

I'm so pleased I did - great atmosphere, friendly marshalls, good crowd support, and of course fantastic scenery.

Even the weather was kind to us - after it had lashed down the day before I was worried it was either going to be too wet or too windy, but conditions couldn't have been better - fairly cool with the wind on our backs.

I did see a chap take a tumble coming up to that castle, so I hope he was ok and made it round.

I'll definitely be doing this again next year if I can, and I'll be trying to persuade more of my club mates to do it as well.

Thank you, Alnwick Harriers.  image

• Anne - Don't suppose there's a provisional date yet for next year's race??? My fellow club runners are desperate to sign up for next year already!
  • We haven't picked the date yet for next year's event. It'll be decided in early September when the committee next meet. I'll post it here as soon as I can.

• Evening all

Anne-Thanks for that.Ive no doubt next years race will fill up as quick as it did this year.

Tutu-Yes it was a pleasure to run with you.It was good crack.Hopefully we'll race together again someday.

Shielsy-Glad you had a good race and well done.

• Around 30 of our club runners travelled up from Leicestershire to do this race....and around 30 will be returning next year!

Not only was it great to compete as a club en mass but one of our guys won it which is always a bonus!

I have been really struggling with my running recently but this race reminded me how enjoyable it can be and what a good way it is to get out and see some amazing scenery.

Organisation was fantastic. Absolutely loved it. Everyone at breakfast this morning wished they were doing it again today! 

• EVERYONE - We had brilliant support from our local newspaper on the day of the race.

Go to [b]www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk[/b] to see their report and video of the start and finish. Includes short interviews with the winners and action shots of loads of you running by. Enjoy.  Read The Gazette on Thursday for full report and more pictures.

Anne

Race Admin

• anne - thanks for the video link - it's great. I spotted my mate  (Northern Exile - who posts on this site) - they actually zoom in on him finishing!
  • Anne - is there a link to the team prizes or could you confirm who won the team/vets prizes. Just wondering if Harrogate Harriers won any team prizes?
  • Jovi - I'll get them put on the website soon - definitely by the weekend.   Harrog ladies were 7th team (no prize, sorry) and your chaps were 12th (again, no prize). 

I'm trying to resolve a few glitches in the results before publishing the final version. Anyone disputing their result please email me via raceinfo@alnwickharriers.co.uk by Friday. I'm particulary keen to hear from runner number 651.

Don't forget to view the video on www.northumberlandgazette.co.uk

Anne

Race Admin

• Anne - I think the results for one of our Harrogate Harriers might be wrong. Three of our runners - Fiona Smith, Jane Robbins and Sophie Milson crossed the line together but Fiona seems to have a time 12 seconds ahead of the other two - I have a photo of them all at the start of the tape at the finish line together! I am sure they are not worried about the discrepancy but it might affect someone else's position? They finished i position 598,599 & 600 on the results list. I wonder if this could be where the missing runner no.651 could be?
  • FlurilloFlurillo ✭✭✭
    woot that was fun. Have just looked at the results and am faintly dissappointed that i was not the last one in...i though i was! i have been classed as a senior female though?!?!? i'm only 25 image  Bring on next year, i'll try and run faster...or make sure i'm last in..one of the two!!!!
  • Just quickly posting to say how much I enjoyed the race again. Absolutely brilliant scenery, organisation, atmosphere, everything. Will definitely be back next year and may be bringing more club members.
    Knocked 29 minutes off last years time and restored a bit of confidence in myself into the bargain so I'm well chuffed.

Thanks Anne!

• AA2 - Thank you and everyone concerned for organising such a fantastic race.  I usually travel up to the North East from the South Coast once a year for the GNR - never again, it will be this one from now on.  Clubmate and I had a great weekend - shame the high winds on Monday meant we couldn't go and see the puffins !!

One point please - does the route change in years when it is high tide or do you just run higher up the beaches?