10K Helping Heroes 'Festival of Running'

SezzSezz ✭✭✭
Does anyone know anything about this event?  I think it's a new event and 5000 competitors seems quite a high entry but I'm keen to do a 10k at this stage in my mara training and this fits the bill.

Comments

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭

I've just spoken to the very nice organiser about this race.  As they've advertised late, they are nowhere near their race limit and currently only have 200-300 entrants, which is a shame coz it's for such a good cause.

On the plus side though, fewer entrants means a less congested route and possibly faster times.

If you get your entry in by the closing date then you will get a chip.   Entrants on the day won't get one.

Anyone else fancy running a 55 minute 10k with me? 

• Hay Sezz

That is a shame numbers wise hopefully will increase as the years go on. Me and my partner are running this. Is her first 10km and looking for just over an hour.

Course looks pretty quick so with any luck might break the hour mark.

• This one turned out OK in the end. Pretty good numbers took part and it was a first time event that was run like an old stager. Super marshalling all the way round, easy bag drop/pick up, nice atmosphere -especially at the finish. Nice dry sunny day helped but it worked pretty well for me and I hope the Army keep this in the calendar for future years - it could certainly handle more taking part and has potential to grow from this very impressive start. Sponsors could probably be persuaded to spring for a choccy bar/drink at the end but I wouldn't want to gripe if funds go into staging the event and the cause. Well done all.
  • Ran like clockwork didn't it. Really enjoyed it.

Do you reckon the route was a bit short? Reason I ask is that I ran a PB by around 2 minutes and Sezz ran a PB by around 2:45. What do you reckon? Anyone?

• A bit short? I don't know - it was my first 10K race (well second, but first one was pushing a double buggy around brands hatch so I can't really compare times!).  My time was faster than expected but I'm happy to accept it as my time and put it down to a pretty fast route with not many major ups and downs, plenty of space to run in after getting away from the start, a road route, fine running weather and good atmosphere etc.   

I thought organisation was good and  the Ghurkha band added to the event for sure.   It's for a great cause and it would be good to see more runners from clubs etc.  at the event next year . (I reckon there must have been about 500 + this year?) .   A little medal memento or similar might be good to attract more runners but who knows and certainly not worth 'griping' over for the reasons that 'countmeout' says.  Overall a great event and thanks and well done to all those involved in the organisation!  

• SezzSezz ✭✭✭

The organisation was great, the weather was fab and it was lovely to run a 10k with so much room around you.   Queens Avenue was a bitch though, I never thought it would end.  LOL! 

We've just measured it on gmap and reckon it came out at 6 miles rather than 6.2 miles.  Even so, i still got a PB which I'm really pleased with.

As for a goody bag, it actually didn't bother me that we didn't get one but I would have liked some water at the end as I was gasping.

The Ghurkas were great, both the band and during the run.   Did anyone watch the kids 1km run - how amazing were they?!!   The winner did it in  5mins and he couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 and the boys winner (aged 8-16 category) for the 3km did it in 11 and a half minutes!!  Fabulous.

• According to my Garmin, the course was 6.05 miles, so yes, it was a bit short. A shame, because I got a PB, and it doesn't really count.

For a course described as mostly flat, that hill seemed to go on forever!

I felt sorry for the people with the stalls in the gym, because hardly anyone seemed to be visiting them. I don't know if that was just because it was such a lovely day or because there wasn't much indication from outside that there was anything to go in for.

• Thought so BT. We measured it on gmap last night and got a similar distance to you.

Never mind, I really enjoyed it.  I'd deffo have got a PB by about 30 seconds if the  distance had been 10K.

I'll do it again though. 

• Yesterdays race photos are now online at www.antbliss.com

great day, very well organised event. Helped by the number of volunteers who do what they are told (unlike some marshalls), the positive shouting and encouragement from everyone, the Army U20 rugby team "hurling" support as part of their warm up at the end, and having your own police force (MPs) to sort out the roads.

This race, location and layout has great potential for a much more commercial capability - and make more funds for the SSAFA. 

And yes they must get the 10k measured out accurately - the winning time was very very quick which supports the 400m ish short theory. However, anything beyond 300m and I'm sure he would woop my backside, so due respect to him...

• Oh bugger!! I'm still waiting for that elusive"both feet off the ground" action shot.
  • A shame the route was 300+ short as I would have still had a good time over the course and the winner would of had a proper PB (bad luck Joe), seems a bit silly to spend thousands on chip timing and not pay £40 to get the course measured properly.  Apart from that I really enjoyed the day and my children loved the 1K, well done to all and I hope it does indeed stay and go from strength to strength.

• I worked at that my overall pace would have meant a PB by about 30 seconds, rather than the 2 minutes that was shown on the clock. Sezz would have been a PB by about a minute rather than the 2:45.

Shame it won't count, but a good indication that we are both running well which is what we are more interested in as we are FLM training. 

It was great seeing all the little 'uns running yesterday as well. Future olympic athletes there, I'm sure. 

• Does anyone know when the results are likely to be posted? The last time any road race results were posted on the HB Sports site (which is where Ant Bliss thinks they'll be) was back in November!

The photos of the tiny kids running have a real "ahh, cute" factor.

• This was my first 10k race, have been running for about 3 years, but never as far as 10k. I loved it, the day was well organised, fab atmosphere and I achieved all my targets - to finish without walking, not to come last and complete in under an hour.

What a buzz, am now thinking of doing Frimley Park 10k in April unless I can find another one sooner!
  • Well done Izzy. Crossing that line does give you a buzz doesn't it.
  • Izzy, there is a 6 miler 30 Mar, the week before Frimley Pk, at Farnborough College. Not sure if its in the RW events pages but link here in case:

http://www.farnboroughsfc2.ac.uk/RunningEvent.aspx

After all, sounds as though we all did a 6 miler in Aldershot in the end so can now go for PBs at that distance!! 

• Thanks CountMOut - need to keep the momentum going and as you say will be a good time measure for me.
  • It seems most agreed that it was a great day but just a bit of a shame about query on distance. Oh well.  I think I’m just going to take the view that now I’ve got a good PB and it will really give me something to aim for.  Certainly I hope the organisers plan to stage it again as there were so many aspects of the race that were great.  I also thought the marshals did a great job and were very encouraging. Also… I didn’t want to risk slacking as I ran past them, just in case the Army NCO Physical Training Instructors amongst them forgot that many of us were ‘civies’ and demanded that we quit! – I had ‘no-where else to go!’. ( Did anyone see an Officer and a Gentleman last night?).   I loved running on the closed roads, especially down to the finish.  Made me  a feel like a ‘proper runner’.   If the organisers read this stuff, do you think you could let us know a)       Where / When the results will be out? b)       Any feedback that you guys have on the event (final numbers, amount raised, your thoughts on how it went etc. )c)       If you plan to run the event again. (when you get your breath back). I hope so!  Cheers!
  • The encouragement from the marshalls was great. They said things that made any thoughts of slowing down impossible.
  • Thanks to all those who entered the race and supported the cause.  Grateful for your feedback as I am one of the organisers.  There are many lessons to be learned as this was the first time we had organised the event and your comments are all valid and will be noted.  Some were given consideration before hand - confectionery and medals at the finish for example.  It was agreed that we  should not rob the cause of money and will try harder next year to secure sponsorship for this aspect of the event.  I think we could have stretched to water at the finish though.  A good point!  10K results will be posted on  http://www.theresults.co.uk/running_results.html courtesy of HS Sports.  We have requested that provisional results appear tomorrow, so please keep checking.  We took £3000 in entry fees yesterday and believe we are set to  raise £20,000 for the appeal.  The relatives of injured service personnel will really benefit from our efforts and your support.  Please send any sponsorship (asap) in the form of a cheque made payable to 4 Div Welfare fund,  to SSAFA Helping Heroes and their Families HQ Aldershot Garrison, Wellington House, St Omer Bks, Aldershot GU11 2BG.

The measurement of the course will be corrected next year.  It was originally driven by the need to have one start and finish point for the 3k and 10k races - due to the cost of electronically timing both races.   I apologise to all those who thought they had achieved a PB.  You are welcome to return to run a very slightly longer route next year!  Details and dates of next year's event to follow.  Please let your friends know that this is one to keep an eye open for next year.  We are thinking of staging it in May/June any thoughts on that? Thank you again for your positive comments and suggestions about how the event can be improved and developed. 

• Thanks for coming on here and posting Kate. I think  having water at the finish and an accurately measured course will make this a superb race. The route is excellent, parking was no problem (and free!!!) and the encouragement from marshalls was great. To be honest, I'm not really bothered about a medal as I would sooner the money went to the appropriate cause and it looks as if a really great amount was raised. As for moving the race to May/June. It would be a little bit warmer then, but within 5 minutes of the race starting I was sweating like a sweaty thing on a hot sweaty day. You don't get many 10K's around February time so it was a bit of a novelty really.

Keep posting on here. It's always good to involve runners and get their thoughts when organising races.

• Enjoyed the race only surprised re the various undulations as was advertised as flat, water at end would be lovely. Definately do this one again and a brilliant cause, thankyou.
  • Yep - thanks for your feedback Kate.   I'll try and enter it the race whenever it is held.    Timing of races I guess is always tricky.   My initial motivation for looking for a race in February was that it was part of my post Christmas / New Year fitness drive and as part of my training for the Reading 1/2 marathon that is on 2 March this year.  I guess some others might have used this as prep for other races (e.g London Marathon).   At the moment I think your race has found a nice little niche spot in the Calander and might capture some people who were looking for a run for the same reasons as me and so the February timing was good.   Having said that, I know that there are lots of variables to take into account when organising events and I'll try and enter it whenever it is held.   Even with the course adjusted I still reckon it will be a fast run.  I'm looking forward to it and I'm sure it will continue to be a great fund raising event for SSAFA Helping Heroes.  Cheers.       
  • If it was moved to May/June it could be combined with a BBQ to make it a really fun day out. A beer festival as well perhaps. The possibilities are endless.
  • May i suggest that you reduce the entry fee and return to manual timing systems as are still used at a number of big races such as the Stubbington 10K.  I am sure all those PT Corps helpers are more than competent of recording the finish of a race.  They manage it every year at Army Championships and the results/prize giving are also just as quick.  I have heard much bad press about HS Sport and know I had many problems when I used them last year, it took almost a week for them to get the results correct!
  • Thanks, Kate, for the feedback.. Please don't change too much of the event, because in essence, it was great. My top priorities would be a properly measured course, water at the end, quickly available results (I'm not bothered about chip timing) and a few more signs around the race HQ. I don't want medals, and if I feel like food/sweets afterwards, I'm happy to pay for them.

(I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned what to my mind was one of the best things about Sunday  - the delicious irony of the non-functioning starter's pistol. )

• Oh aye. I'd forgotten about the starter's pistol. What was better though, when they tried to stop the race to restart it.
  • Please keep the comments coming.  I am tracking with interest.  We are meeting on Monday to discuss the future of this race and your suggestions (including having a working starter's pistol!) will be raised. 

• Kate

Apart from measured route and water at the end the race was just about perfect.

On moving the date,  May and June are already pretty busy months in the racing calendar and I'd agree with Richards comment about the potential to find a niche as it is.

Agree theres no need for a medal. But I think most runners quite like chip timing - especially if the course is accurate in future. Of course am in favour of reducing costs if timing can be done by other means, you'd probably get more entrants from the wider community too.

• Ditto everything CountMeOut has just said.