Setting my sights Tri

1313233343537»

Comments

• <!--[if !mso]> <style> vimage {behavior:url(#default#VML);} oimage {behavior:url(#default#VML);} wimage {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->
  • well dont know what happened there, will try again

I am just putting in my race report

• Then we set off for our long trek to Taupo, plan is to get there tonight for tomorrows ironman, several pirates, old and new friends are competing. We got there around 20.50 and strolled down to transition. The street was lined with placards wishing the competitors good luck from their friends and families. We waled up to transition and sussed it out incase we ever do it, it’s a long run to T1 about 400m. but seeing all the bikes there got the old race excitement going.

Back to the van for a light supper then wild camped behind some garages not far from T1. the plan is to watch the swim and see the pirate off on the bike leg then head out to do a bit of sight seeing.

Saturday 6th

We had set our alarm for 6 am but the buzz of race day saw us awake at 5 am so we had a quick cuppa and headed down to the lake. The water felt warm. The moari’s came out of the dark, in their traditional boat yelling and chanting. They ran onto the shore and did a haka type dance for the swimmers

• Then we headed back to town, by now were knackered and would never see the finish of the ironman so had a couple of hours sleep before heading back for the run. On the way in we saw Andersnog from the forum and his family. He was one of the pirate we hadn’t met before. He had finished and was heading off for a beer. We had fish and chips (well Teriaki and chips). We saw Trogledytes aka Penny just head out for her 2nd leg. Then went to the finish line and saw ally bally bee and jaggy come in. I always like this part of the race, its ordinary people finishing and the smiles on their faces as they see the finish line makes it worth while watching.

We were cold and tired by now and there was no sign of Penny. Just as we were about to call it a day, the famous pirate colours loomed out of the darkness, we ran to the finish area and saw her finish, her smile made it worth hanging round for.

Sunday 8th

We slept in til 9.30 then headed into town for breakfast at Dixie Browns with the gang. The post race party was slightly smaller than the usual piratey affairs we have been to in Germany, Switzerland and Lanza. We decided we must be the furthest travelled supporters who don’t actually have a partner racing.

The usual post race chatter of what was good or bad about the race and Andersnog and his family had made some little pirate hats and put each pirate in their pirate ranking as per the forum.

it was great to be there and I was pleased we made the effort to get there

• Reckon there's a chunk missing from the story - good to see the photo of the Maoris arriving in their wee kayak, I missed seeing it arrive on the day as I'd spent too long in the loo queue.  I did watch the haka though, including a couple of brave athletes facing off against the Maoris without flinching.  Great way to start a race!

• whoops the missing section!

We watched the elite swimmers come out the water, an ex Olympic swimmer out first in something daft like 45 mins, Cameron Brown, NZ ironman hero was 3rd or 4th. We headed into town for a coffee and muffin and saw 2 pirates head out on the bike.

We then headed out to the Huka falls and a natural pool where the dam is opened and it fills up in about 30 mins

We also went to craters of the moon, a geothermal park with lots of steam and bubbly bits

• Nice report from the 'other' side of the fence Jellybabe and great pics too.

I missed the whole Maori thing too for the same reason (but a different Q) as aanders.  Another good reason to go back and do it again cos I'm sure it would've made me go a lot faster image

• Well, Jaggy saw it and look what it did to his swim time...
  • They just wouldn't get out of the way.....image
  • <waves> Hi Jaggy image

Entries for next year are open image