The Brooks 19th Paddock Wood Half-Marathon

Comments

• Is anyone else having trouble entering online? My bank details have failed mysteriously!

Its a great flat half for anyone doing it. In fact it was my first race ever 5 years ago when I was a real novice.  As they say you never forget your first! I consider it to have been my favourite run ever and I loved it so much I'm on my 4th Marathon this year still chasing the thrill of that first race at Paddock Wood.  How exotic?!!! Oddly enough I also rented a flat on a farmhouse near paddock wood as I work near there and shortly after I moved in I realised that it was at one of the junctions of the PW half marathon! It will be the second time Ive run it officially this year if only they would let me enter! Although when I lived there I did the route a long sun run often as its a really rural and beautiful place and full of nice english oast houses and a pub that may still be playing 'who let the dogs' as the runners go past out en route...how original!!!! Also very well organised race and friendly too.  Have a great race.

x

Donna    

• The agency they use for collecting credit card details is very user unfriendly, but you should persevere - it took me several attempts, but I finally got there.

Why can't everyone use the RW system? - so much easier!

• Sadly it clashes this year with another race on my must do list so wont be there this year.  Enjoy it everyone and think of me slogging my way  16 miles cross country while you all enjoy a fast flat half
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Mark - You will be sadly missed. See you in September at your half.

Donna - I entered through the post as there was no secure padlock on the on-line entry.

• It must be just me but I found the course very boring. Once out  of the town very little support until you return to the town. In between lots of leafy lanes.

It is well organised and a very flat course, just not for me. I prefer a few hills and the buzz of  spectators. 

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Chris - I you like a lot of support you will have to do bigger half marathons, like the Great North Run, London Half Marathon & Hasting Half Marathon.

• Hi- did Hastings last year as build up to the FLM and doing Hastings this year. I'm easy to spot as I am at the back with a yellow hat!!!

Paddock wood is a good event, but I just did not enjoy it as much as Hastings or Eastbourne

Must do the GNR one day

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Chris - You might like Kent Coastal half marathon, it is undulating.
  • Chris. You should try the Canterbury Half at the end of May, it has several hills and reasonably good support from the locals. Most small events, local events I mean, have virtually no support. If you want a really well supported run try the Great South in Portsmouth at the end of October.
  • Thanks for all the news on other events I will give them a look. Sadly my guest appearence at Hastings may be in doubt, yesterdays 10 mile run was a disaster. I had cramps, shin splints for the first time ever and only managed 30 mins before I had to give up fearing further damage. In the afternoon I went to the gym to loosen up and my whole body was like lead and the motivation was gone to. I will try a run Tuesday and see if things are better.

OOOOPs  sorry a bit of topic here, once again thanks all.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hello all
    Sent off my entry last night
    Hadn't thought of doing this one before but got tempted image
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    She you there Pammie image You will love this race and if you face a warm up you can do the fun run with Andre & Kierrah.
  • Anybody know when the numbers are coming out?
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    CB - I have emailed them and asked them when they will be sending out the numbes.
  • fi fifi fi ✭✭✭

Hi all, I e-mailed the organisers and they have let me take my OH's number as he hasn't had time to train.....so he gets to look after the kids while i run insteadimage

Numbers are being posted out next Monday apparantly.

I see there are changing facilities but does anyone know if there are showers?

• Hi fi fi,

No there aren't any showers just changing facilities I'm afraid.

• fi fifi fi ✭✭✭
    Oh well...home sweaty and stinking it is then .Thanks Prawnie.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    fi fi - thanks for the info.
  •  Dear All,

I did this race for the first time last year...very warm if I recall...I was a back marker...but that hasn't put me off I went on my own last year but made loads of friends. This year my running partner is coming ...but she will be much quicker than me...but at least that means there will be someone I know to cheer me on.

See you all in 2 weeks... 

Lynn 

• "See you all in 2 weeks..."

Has anyone seen their race  number yet? Seems to be getting a bit close to the day!

Looking forward to seeing you all on the start line... 

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Matt - they are posting our numbers tomorrow image
  • SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

Just entered this one.  It used to be a regular for me then I stopped running for virtually 10 years apart from one little stint 5 years ago.  Back on form now, been training for a whole year.  I did my 1st 1/2m at Brighton last month - 2:34, got a pb at T.Wells, 2:24, got another one sunday at hastings, 2:18!  What should I aim for here, with NO hills image.  The long term goal is to get under the magic 2 hours but that'll take a while

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Sunluver - I think you should aim for 2hrs, as long as it is not too windy.

• SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭
    EEEK, I've not run a 1/2 in 2hours since 1993, didn't someone say you get slower with age, I'm 48 tomorrow, maybe I could do 2 hours in a bathchair!
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    You said you did 2:18 at Hasting, so you will be way faster at Paddock Wood. Hastings is hill and Paddock Wood is as flat as a pancake. I have done both.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I have read your profile and you like off road. Have you done Beachy Head?
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Sunluver - I did 2.18 at Berkamsted the other week which was hilly also. So I am going to aim for 10min miling at Paddock Wood and see how it goes. My pb is 2.15 so I would love to beat that.
  • SunluvvaSunluvva ✭✭✭

I'm aiming to stop smoking tomorrow (birthday pressie to myself) so would hope to be running a little faster, I stopped for a couple of days once and really noticed a difference.

I've not done beachy head yet Tracey, I was thinking about it.  I'm doing the Shakespere mara on 27th April and for some idiotic reason i've entered the JW Ultra (30) in september.  I was also thinking of doing the Downlands challenge 30 in july.  Im doing the Compton 20 off road this weekend, that'll be my first proper off road race.  I seem to have lost my marbles a bit!

• Glad I'm not the only one who's losing their marbles, Sunluver!!! image
  • I'm in for this race - it CANNOT be worse organised than the Bath Half last weekend, even if I am pleased with the time I set there.   I shall be trying to beat that time, but I always seem to struggle to do so.

Incidentally, I see from elsewhere on the forum that the Southend Half marathon (8 June) will have a new route this year - which threatens to make Paddock Wood look hilly!