Options

Innoculations

I'm due to get my innoculations for my holidays tomorrow morning (Hepatitis A and Typhoid), and this seems like a nice opportunity for a run. The area I live in is quite hilly, but the Doctor's surgery is right on the Thames towpath and I can see a nice flat 4 miler that I thought I might try after my appointment.
But then I thought, I wonder if running after I've had injections is wise or advisable? I'll ask the nurse when I get the injections, but does anyone here know whether or not I'd be wasting my time putting on my running kit?

Comments

• Options
    When I was in the military (I sound like an old retired General!) we used to get our "jabs and scabs" and then go straight to PT for a run! They said it was to get the jab juice flowing around our bodies! No-one seemed to fall over though so it must be alright. I sometimes have 'flu like symptoms after holiday jabs and don't feel like running for a day. Otherwise I usually feel ok.
  • Options
    Thanks DH,
    If nothing else, the running vest will mean I won't have any trouble rolling up my sleeve for the nurse!
  • Options
    Dark Helmet

How times have changed!! I'm currently in the RAF and we don't do PT anymore!!! - only in basic training.

Ross

I remember about 18 months ago having a couple of jabs at about 1030 and then going for a run at lunch-time (1200) and boy did I NOT feel well. I felt really light-headed and dizzy half-way into my 6 miler. Would not recommend you do it. Why not go back and do the towpath at the week-end?
  • Options
    Ross, most people are absolutely fine after the typhoid and hepatitis A jabs that are currently in use (it was different in the days of cholera vaccines and the old buttful of gammaglobulin) and if you feel OK then by all means do your run afterwards.

Scrap the idea if you faint when you see the needle.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Options
    Ross, having spent a few years traveling to and from East Africa on business I've become no stranger to the needle. Before I started running I used to get stiff and sometimes flu like symptons, now I run and have regularly run after the jabs and find my tolerance is much better. I agree with velociraptor if it feels OK then do it.

Good strides, Alan
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I knew I'd get helpful advice here. I plan on putting on the kit and doing the run if I still feel like it after the jab and the chat with the nurse.

V-Rap, I managed my last jab without passing out so I think I'll be okay on that one. My wife, on the other hand, slid elegantly off the chair when she had hers on Tuesday and I had to drive down to fetch her because she felt too faint to drive afterwards. Personally I think the nurse convinced her that it was going to be scary and made her faint. The power of suggestion. After all, she passed out AFTER the injections!!
    I didn't mind too much, it meant I got a nice 2 mile, downhill all the way to fetch her car afterwards!
  • Options
    For the record, the nurse tells me they only advise against heavy lifting. Running after jabs is no bother.
    I had a nice couple of miles running in the sunshine along the river, until I ended up pulling up at the far end of the route with a blister. Apart from that, no ill effects.