Trollers Trot 24

Comments

• Hi Everyone

I'm setting off to North Yorkshire today with the family for a few days & plan to get a couple of runs in with the Roclite's. I will report back ! If any of you are ever up near Rosedale Abbey, you must do the "Dale Head" run. Start off in Rosedale Abbey or at the top of Chimney Bank & you basically follow an old disused railway line right to head of the dale. I swear that when you get there the views will take your breath away, especially on a clear day. 

Happy training everybody..................

Jez 

• The Events Calendar on the LDWA website (www.ldwa.org.uk) is now updated with challenge events upto November'08. All off-road, all sorts of distances, almost all welcome runners. Excellent training opportunities.
  • Thanks for all the info Euph / ML - gives some good ideas on training.  Calderdale looks good but I've got Baildon Boundary Way the weekend before and will then be prepping for Windermere marathon.

Managed a hilly 5 m yesterday and a quick but hard 5m on the moors today - absolutely briliant in the sun.  Off for a weeks hol now with family and aiming to do a 20m mid-week.  Have a good one all....

• Hi Everyone

Just got back from North Yorkshire where the weather has been stunning ! Wall to wall sunshine. Perfect for training as there was no wind either. Did a couple of 10 milers on the North York Moors & could see for miles. The Roclite 320's were a total revelation. Absolutely no discomfort or rubbing etc. I think they'll be perfect for the T.T.

How's everyone elses training going ? I suspect I need one 20 miler the week before the T.T. Does that sound about right to you chaps ? I was then planning on a couple of short & fast ones in the days leading up to the race. I might see you out & about on the moors W.P !

Jez

• Roclites rock - i lost my two big toes to them, but I think it was becasue i kicked some extremely large rocks image

whats your mileage been like so far?

• Jez, a good LSR or two before TT is probably important if you havne't done one already - but you did that 20 the other week so another isn't essential. Rather than distance I'd say time on feet is the key, mega-slow off-road runs over 3 hours.

Personally I did my last LSR at the weekend, 18.5m - mostly road - with club (so much for off-road 3 hour runs eh). Loads of regroup stops though so on my feet about 3 hours. Week before I did Rombalds which was over 4 hours so I'm happy with that. Before as distance prep this year, I've raced weekends (up to HM distance), did 2 Crosses (17m off-road) and done road LSRs of 14-16m. In the next two weeks I'm just going to keep ticking over with a few 12 milers and a race one weekend. I could have put in another LSR but I'm off away for an unhealthy weekend of boozing and partying the weekend before.

In the long run building up through Trollers to Calderdale (mid April) my usual weekly plan is something like this:
    Tuesdays: 12.5m road run (to club, with club, back)
    Thursdays: Club tempo run or speedwork 7-10m
    Saturdays: LSR off-road (building from 18 to 20+) or short easy run if race Sunday
    Sundays: easy runs following Saturday LSR's or racing XC

12.5m done tonight and on the heels of Sundays18m my legs need some rest from all that pavement pounding. My local X-Country at the weekend so need to keep rest of weeks running easy before that.

• Thank's for that Euph, sound advice, again ! I'm trying to avoid roads at all costs if I can as I'm prone to sore knees & ankles if I pound the pavements. Thinking of heading off up to Grassington on Thursday for a 10-15 miler. Hopefully the sun will still be donning his hat !

Clairster, my mileage has been steady rather than spectacular. This week it will hopefully be about 30ish, but I am doing some swimming in between & sometimes cycling. However, as Euph points out I do need time on my feet as thus far my longest run has been 3 hours. My body is in for one hell of a shock come the T.T ! How about yourself ? Are you managing to get the miles under your belt ?

I'm toying with the idea of staying in a local B & B the night before so I wouldn't be shooting off at the crack of dawn. A nice leisurely breakfast & stroll to the start line !

• JEz - please dont mention nice leisurely starts! image

Not sure if I emntioned it before but just to say, when I did ROmbalds in Feb last year, my longest run was 20miles at the start of DECEMBER. I then spent the latter half of Dec off injured, only managing to do a little bike work. Jan, I slowly restarted and gotr up to 10miles a couple fo weeks before but kept the fitness going on the bike. I did ROmbalds comfortably in 4hrs 20. This year with more runs under my belt I struggled with tiredness and snow to do 5hr 20.

I am a mileage monster so have been keeping the miles high! but having recently employed an online coach I am now dropping them down. I was advised to do 14 this weekend as I have it pretty much covered. It depends what you want, a record breaking PB time or a fun time image...or something in between. With a good level of fitness I think it is reasonable to go out and tackle as best you can. 

• Clairster

I consider myself pretty fit, however, I have never run over 20 miles, so am ready for a shock ! I definitely plan to enjoy it & will be stopping at the 5 mile drinks stations to read the old map. What time are you hoping for ?

• Hi Jez - I think Euph and are are going to amble round and aim for around 5hrs. Depends on the terrain and navigation. We did two Crossessv (17m) in 4hr 15 I think but it was 3h 25 of running, the rest navigation. Hope Moors and Tors and was a staggering 5hr 55 (21m), but it had a very big climb (took about 27min to go 1mile!) and we got lost! Rombalds, I was running for 4hr 25 and time was 5hr 15. I just want to have an enjoyable day image
  • Jez - Don't worry about lack of 20+m runs. As Clairster said she hadn't done any big runs in over a month before last years Rombalds, I think I'd done a max of 15 on road. In the closing miles various parts of legs may feel stiff and feet may feel battered, but you should be able to keep going at some kind of pace. If you start to feel crap at 10-15m just slow down a bit.

Clairster - Ambling sounds a good pace at which to approach it. I just had a look at TT thread on Fell runners forum. One of the guys on there ran a recce of this in 4.17 with a cold. He reckons its all runnable and easy to navigate. That means either:

1. This really isn't too tough, not all the Yorkshire dales can be hilly - can they? image
      -----or-----
    2. This is a hardened fell runner talking. probably born without pain receptors, runs 6 minute mile pace up the Otley Chevin and able to follow trails like a red indian (native american). image

Has anybody had any correspondence about TT yet? Official route description, etc....I entered online and nothing yet. Not worried though as some of these online entries don't send you anything and you can turn up on the day and register.

• i vote description number 2!

nope, not heard a thing

• D.E

Thank's for that. I'm hoping to get by on stubborness & jelly babiesimage

• looks like JillthePill is coming along too image
  • Euph - HP40 - Mam Tor, that was the easy bit of HMT image
  • Attack of the one line reponses:

I always find I take more food/drink than I need, LDWA feeding stations are usually lavish!

Great, more the merrier, less chance of getting lost?

There was an easy bit? image 

• Hi all, back from hols.

1) Info - I got an email shortly after entering including info to follow.

2) Managed a 20m+ whilst away, felt pretty good apart from minor irritation around patella - only felt it a few mins whilst running but came back when I finished, at least it appears to be healing quickly.  Jez - suggest leaving a little more than a week between 20m and TT just in case.  (B&B - worried about that early start ????)

• Parking is in Skirethornes Lane, Threshfield, GR please use this Lane and NOT in the road outside the School. Skirethornes Lane is on the west side of the Grassington to Kettlewell Road near the school, in Threshfield, just past the Petrol Station.

Please bring this with you & have a mug for drinks on the walk. Route Description This route description should be read in conjunction with the appropriate map of the area - OS Outdoor Leisure No10 Yorkshire Dales Southern Area. Leave the school GR 993639 and turn left along Wharfeside Avenue. Turn left after 300 at GR 992642 yards in front of houses into Bridleway and continue ahead to reach road at GR 988638. Cross road with care, turn right for 20 yards and turn left into Skirethornes Lane. Ahead on road for 0.65 mile to reach road junction at GR 978638. Ahead on track for 0.35 mile to stile on left signed Threshfield Moor, Bordley & Malham. Over stile and follow path uphill in a Westerly direction with wall on right to reach stile. Over stile and continue ahead across field uphill to gap in wall GR 969635. Continue ahead uphill across another field, crossing a broken wall to a stile at GR 966633. Over stile and follow path with wall on right (open moor) to track GR 961635. Cross track and follow path now with fence on right (blue top) to track junction at GR 957631 Checkpoint 1 Threshfield Moor 2.61ml. Turn left on track, in a southerly direction, with wall on right to gate on right at GR 958630. Through gate signed Boss Moor Lane. Follow track across open moor, still in a southerly direction, for 0.70 mile to reach the road at GR 955619. Turn left on road to gate on right (just before cattle grid) at GR 955617. Through gate signed BW Hetton & Skeld Gate. Follow walled lane to a gate at GR 954613. Through gate and follow path across open field, in a southwesterly direction, to gate at track junction at GR 950607 Checkpoint 2 Winterburn Reservoir 4.24ml.  
  • Through gate signed BW Hetton and follow walled lane to road at Hetton. Turn left on road for 200 yards to road junction. Turn right and follow road to Rylstone GR 969586. Turn left, cross main road and take next right towards GR. 971587 Checkpoint 3 Rylstone Church 6.34ml. Biscuits & Drinks.  From the CP continue up the road through the gate and turn right to join a track heading southwards. Follow this track, which turns west (right) across field to gate at GR 972581. Through gate into lane and turn left on the track for 350 yards to gate on the left. Then through gate and up the hill, passing a copse on the right, to reach a gate. Through the gate (Look back at this point to see Pen-y-Ghent in the distance) and follow the bridle way across the moor (blue marker posts) to a track at GR. 997571. Continue eastwards on this track to the track junction at GR 007571 Turn left down this track towards Upper Barden Reservoir. Checkpoint 4 10.49ml. GR 016580 
  • Continue on the track and cross the head of the reservoir turning right at the end, beyond the reservoir lodge, to follow the track downhill for 2 miles passing Lower Barden Reservoir on your right to the road. Cross the road to the checkpoint at GR 050567 Checkpoint 5 Barden Scale 12.98ml. Hot/cold drinks and refreshments. Turn right down the road to the main road. Turn left towards Burnsall and follow the road to the road junction at GR 050572. Bear right down this road and cross Barden Bridge. Continue on the road for 300 yards to the stile at GR 053576. Over the stile and follow the riverside path (Dales Way) to the road at Howgill GR 059593. Cross the road and follow the track junction at GR. 063592. Turn left on Howgill Lane for ½ mile to Checkpoint 6   Eastwood House 15.87ml. (Note route and checkpoint change here) Continue on Howgill Lane to a gate on the left at GR 072603. Through the gate and cross a stile to the left of the barn building. Then Cross the fields via a footbridge to High Skyreholme through the buildings and onto the road. Turn left on the road, down hill, to a road junction at GR 068606. Turn right towards Parcevall Hall. After 400 yards turn left through a gate, just before the main gate to Parcevall Hall. Follow the path with the stream on the right up past the remains of an old dam crossing two stiles to reach a finger post at GR. 068617. From the finger post bear left and take the path up through the old quarry to reach the track. Follow the track to the road at GR 063622 Checkpoint 7 New Road 18.04ml. Drinks & Hot snack  
  • Turn left along the road which bears left towards Appletreewick for 500 yards to turn right through the gate on the track at GR. 063620 signed Hartlington. Follow the track through two gates and eventually join the walled lane at GR. 052611. Follow this lane downhill for 1 mile through two gates to cross the road at GR. 041607, then ahead on the track to GR. 039606 Checkpoint 8 Woodhouse Farm 20.11ml. Turn right before reaching farm and follow the path in a North-westerly Direction (Dales Way with River Wharfe on left) over the footbridge reaching Burnsall after 1 mile. Turn left on the road, cross the road bridge and rejoin the riverside path at the end of the bridge on the right. Continue to follow the path now with river on right (Dales Way) for 3 miles towards Grassington crossing the suspension bridge, river now on left, near Hebden eventually reaching the bridge at Linton Falls. Do not cross but continue ahead on Dales way with River Wharfe still on left to reach road at GR 998638. Turn left on road to Upper Wharfedale School 24.8ml and the finish.   Congratulations & Well DoneEmergency Telephone Number 07967 549410
  • phew - that took some doing....
  • wow, thanks WP - did you enter online or via snail mail? Hope the knee continues to hold

Euph - ROFLMAO, I guess not..it was the bit where we stood wondering which way to go. Oh, that doesnt really narrow it down much does it! The bit just before we splti from the shorter route! we came up the back of Mam Tor after the amble through the gullies and fields where we nearly missed the dib point 

lovely weekend of running for me. 17m along the coast yesterday, undulating coastal paths so I hope it helps! and then an accidental 11 this am! set out to do about 6 with the club and it kindof snow balled! None of it  was fast though image. Really slow 17m planned for next wend...coach says 3hrs, so should be enjoyable!

• also, anyone any idea how to make those grid refs into long/lat. IE what two letters we need as I take it GR is Grid Ref?
  • I'm not sure you can convert the GR's into long / lat except by matching up on the map (but I'm not an expert).

I think I entered on line but not sure.  Email came from organiser soon after - perhaps worth dropping him a line ?  email address is on the event page.

Had a look at the route - it does look pretty runnable, three climbs but some chunks along rivers etc. quite a lot of road / track / major footpaths so I think I'll be in trail shoes rather than the mudclaws.

Jez - take back last comment, just read the part about registering between 6.30 and 7.30, will have to drag myself out of bed somehow....

• The letters would be SD Clairster. As for conversion, there are a few websites around. I used http://www.nearby.org.uk/ for Two crosses. I have a little program that also does this, I'll e-mail you but if your mail provider/firewall/virus checker doesn't like .exe it won't get through.
  • W.P

Yep, it's an early one alright !

Reading the last few posts guys, I'm slightly concerned about navigation ! I've never done any before. I have the map & can see where I'm supposed to go !  But you're talking about "converting the GR's into long / lat", which has kind of confused me ! Care to elaborate to a novice please ? 

Thank's...............

• Hi Jez...I have no idea either but between us we tend to work it out. The coords are so I can enter it  in to my Garmin as a back up route. I am hopeless with maps and stuff, so dont worry. There are usually enough people to follow/ask....dont tend to go massively off course, but it has been known! Also we will be ambling around and the more the merrier! You also tend to find loads of people you can hook up with/follow. Much more fun than road races image

please stop mentioning the early start!

• Clairster

Thank's for that, I feel better now ! Which Garmin do you have ? I'm waiting for the 405 to come out & am hoping it will transform my training !image