stop the snot

Comments

• If I was to use plan A (tampons) as a snot stopper.
    Does that mean I could only use them 1 week in every 4?
  • KR

Just to introduce some seriousness (sorry Wilkie!!) into your predicament
    I have had the same problem for over 12 months when previously I had been unsnot challenged. It came on after  a particularly nasty virus attack.
    Perservered for a while and became expert at emptying each nostril with the runner's one fingered blow - nice.
    Mentioned it to the doc whilst seeing her recently about something else and she had a look and reckoned I had a low level infection in the sinus which she did not want to treat with antibiotics mainly because they might not do any good!!

I do tend to get a clear space around me in races...............................................

• TS - I agree.  I had sinus problems for 2 things:

1.  I am wheat intolerant and eating ANY wheat blocks up my nose

2.  I also had a sinus infection and the doctor said EXACTLY the same thing.  I told her that since the antibiotics were used to treat middle ear infections and said that they were a broad spectrum antibiotics, I would rather try them than not.  They worked.  I have never heard of them saying that they can't clear up sinus infections with antibiotics, and in my opinion, it's a joke that they have started saying that.  Especially since i have been on those antibiotics for sinus infections about 3 times before.

• Hi Torque

My levels of snot have been building slowly over the past year or so.
    In that time I have stepped up my level of training (4 times 3 miles a week).
    So there might be a connection there?
    I do tend to have a bit of a blocked up nose most of the time anyway.
    Maybe it is some kind of infection. Was there any other suggested things you could do from your doctor?
  • KR - sounds weird, but maybe you are intolerant to something in your food?

I had a stuffy nose for YEARS until I found out that my body would rather curls itself up and choke the life out of itself than eat wheat.  Imagine how upset I was to find out that my body felt like that.

I had to stop eating wheat 

• Thanks for the advice.
    Will have to look into giving up wheat for a couple of weeks to see if it has an effect.
    Maybe it could be my verison of Lent!

Does beer have wheat in it?
    Please say no!
  • PO

interesting background. I will have another chat next time I have an appointment which is shortly.

There is some suggestion that allergies can cause sinus problems - as well as wheat, dairy product intolerance can cause similar stuff to occur!!

KR
    I do about 50 miles/week so there is a lot of gunge coming outimage Like you I now have a semi blocked up nose much of the time which does get freed eventually when running but then returns

• TS - the other thing to try is steaming your nose, eucalyptus on a tissue and inhaling that, or putting vicks on your chest.  They help "losen" up your sinuses as well.  I would go to your doctor and tell him / her that you want the antibiotics ONLY if you have been ill.  I had a bad flu and developed a severe sinus infection from that.  They said the same thing - that antibiotics won't help.  I told them I didn't care and I wanted to try it anyway - also becuase I was getting ill and I said that antibiotics would knock it out of me.  Which it did.

KR - Beer has yeast in it.  I would say be really really strict with giving it up for about 2 weeks (you may lose a lot of weight because wheat retains water - so losing retained water instead of weight really) and see if there is a difference.  I find that I dont' have to be totally strict now, but it makes a difference to do it really strictly for 2 weeks.

• Torque

It's weird, as soon as I stop running so does my nose.

Interesting about the allergies.
    I did try some antihistamines (spelling?) last summer as I thought I might have hayfever.
    It did stem the flow a bit but didn't convince me I had hayfever though.
  • Ah see - my nose was stuffy all the time.  Especially in the morning.  Running made a bad situation worse
  • plod

It looks like February will be a time for giving up some passions - beer & bread.
    Hopefully giving up the beer might help my training as well as I have a couple of 5 mile road races in Feb. So it might help fine tune my running as well.

It sounds like I have a drink problem reading this back!
    (Not really - only 1 or 2 330ml bottles a nght)
  • I have a drinking problem.  I have told the world that I am giving up drinking.

I haven't.

Yet.  image

• You'd think with all these alco-pops that you can buy these days that Lucozade would have brought out a post run sports drink that combines the natural nutrients to replenish lost body salts with the pleasure of alcohol.
  • Yes.  That's what I always thought!  Why don't all drinks become alcoholic?

And if you dont' want alcohol, drink water....image

• Are you talking about the drinks stations at marathons etc?
    Maybe there should be a choice of (and clearly labelled to avoid confusion):

water (hot day)
    sports drink (long run)
    alcohol (hot day, run for too long, no chance of PB)
  • Beer (hot day)

Two beers (long run) 

Alcohol (hot day, run for too long, no chance of PB) 

• Actually alcohol (as someone once told me) relaxes the body.
    This could lead to a new form of training.
    If you find that your shoulders are getting too tight or your legs are a bit stiff from a long run.
    Then just have a little drink to relax the body.
    Could actually help with stretching as well.
  • What a brilliant analysis.

Mind you - my body was WELL relaxed after a run to the pools and a run back.  So relaxed I thought it prudent to try a roly poly on the side of the road.  

Can imagine how hectic that would have been if there was some beer added to that 

• Do you find many desserts by the road side on the way back from the pool?
    Maybe you should stop drinking!

I thought I saw a chocolate roulade the other day on the pavement.
    On closer inspection it wasn't... and it smelt a bit odd too.

Had a fall myself a couple of months ago and ended up in hospital with a broken wrist.
    A metal plate and a 4 inch scar later, I now look out for concrete bollards and raised kerb stones!

Anyway, enjoyed the banter this afternoon - back home now but will log on later tonight after my run.
  • Yeh that's what I tell myself - I did it all for the pie! 

I must say that it was a night of swimming training AND running so roly poly wasn't too bad.  Although I just had a bit of a twisted ankle and a MASSIVE bruise on my knee

You win  image

Have a good weekend.  I only log on from work so will be back on Monday! 

• Don't think I can give up beer.
    Tried it last night (not drinking that it) and woke up early on a Saturday morning - not good.

I think bread will probably be the first thing I give up and take out of the equation.
  • Back to the snot with Winter approaching
    I think it could be my breathing!

It looks like I breath in and out through my nose rather than my mouth.
    Looks like I will have to re-train myself to breath in nose and exhale through mouth.

Is that right?

Don't want to retrain myself the wrong way?
  • KR,

I get a runny nose whenever I venture out of the house. Running makes me stream! The only way I can tackle it is to wear gloves. Perfect!

Must remember to wash them actually, theyre standing up on their own at the moment!

Shorty 

• Shorty,

The good thing about Winter is wearing long sleeves tops.
    The sleeves makes excellent hanky's!
  • Hello.

I have the same problem. I also kept getting horrible chest infections and asthma issues when I started to run last year. turns out (after much prodding, meddling and medication) that I simply have to take Nasonex - which is a nasal spray - twice a day - forever. I have a tap and the back of my nose that is just on constant drip. Wasn't recognisable to me until I started running. Spray solved all the issues - and asthma and everything else.

Ask your doctor. I think the condition is called Rhinocerous or something.

Although feel free to prance down the street with a nosebag and two tampons stuck up your nose. All good.

• Can you buy Nasonex over the counter or is it prescription.
    I know sometimes doctors prescribe things that have a cheaper over the counter alternative?

I have two young boys now and when I get a cold it generally hangs around for about 3 weeks. I am sure it never fully goes away and is exaggerated when I run. Hence the runny nose all the time and you r condition certainly sounds similar.
  • Prescription..

Honestly, I had the worst ever year last year. I had always suffered with colds getting chesty and not kicking them, but last year was absolutely wrecked. It co-incided with running and all the dr would say at first was that it was asthma, pumped me full of steroids and inhalers etc for about 6 months. Couldn't run at all, or spin or sit in a steam room - nowt - then another Dr pointed out it was most likely this whether allergy based/trigger or not. Taken the spray every day since and (despite chemical taste) it really helps.

I think there are other non prescription options - maybe ask the pharmasist? But worth asking the Dr.

I still get a runny nose, but not the chest/wheezing/constant drip of the nose.

Take Zinc too - helps you cut any underlying colds etc.

Good Luck. 

• hasn't spinach got lots of Zinc?

I think my wife said something about spinach the other day as she is feeling quite run down as well. She also said about taking a pregnancy test as well! I think spinach would be better!
  • I think Kale has. It is like licking the underbelly of a fetid otter though - so have fun. I prefer to nip to Holland and Barratt.