Options

An Oldie Starting Out!

Is realistic for me - a 50 year old who was never any good at sport at school - to learn to run?  I did a Race for Life last year (walking) and would really love to do it again this year, but this time running.  I'm reasonably fit (I walk several miles every day) but I've never run before. 

Comments

• Options

Definitely - start with a 5 minute plod every other night for a week. Then do 10 minutes the following week, then 15 the week after etc.

When you can get to 30 without being out of puff, you can do your first 5k, then the world is your oyster! 

• Options
    Yeah, what SO said!
  • Options
    ScreamScream ✭✭✭
    I have no idea.  Perhaps you could let us know the answer?
  • Options
    BTW  Tikka - I don't think that you're an 'oldie'!
  • Options

Tikka, I'm 3 yrs older than you, so far I've done 3 marathons, 2 ultras, about 20 half mara's and I dont know how many 10k's.

I started out like you wondering if I could run, see what happens when you start.

there are some good beginners schedules on here if you use one of them it will help you build up to running more than the race for life that is your current aim.

Good luck and keep posting with your progress.

• Options

Hi.

I've just started the Beginners Programme too. 

I am about to start week four (tomorrow at 7am) Run 5 mins and walk 1 four times.  I am also about to about to hit 50 years old and am finding each week another challenge with this programme. 

I always start the week thinking - this is going to be so tough I will never manage next week - week 2/3 - but I'm still hanging in there and thinking I'll never manage week 4 (Which is tomorrow morning!!).

Does everyone feel like this at the beginning?

I have no long terms goals yet - just one step at a time.

My aim is to be able to go and run for 30 minutes continuously.

Then I'll reassess.

JENNIFER

• Options

Hi Tikka
    Hi Jennifer

Everybody has to start somewhere.

Keep on keeping on.
    If you don't do too much too soon, but do a bit more each week, and keep a note of what you are doing, you will soon be surprised by the progress you have made.

• Options

Tikka - yes you can! Just build up to it gradually.

I was never any good at sport at school being ungainly and slow at just about anything I tried.

With a bit of perseverence I converted from walking to running in 2004 and  here I am, 50 years old, 18kg lighter with 10 marathons and 8 half-marathons under my belt since then.

Well yeah I'm slow, and I'm still run/walking but then who cares. Everyone gets a medal.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

• Options
    good luck tikka,,, from a 54 year old....
  • Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

Wow thanks everyone - sorry it took me so long to reply but my broadband connection has been down all day.  I'm overwhelmed by your encouragement and really heartened.  I'm going to start on the 1st of Feb!  I don't want to start just yet because I need to get proper running shoes and gear and can't do that until later in the week, but by Friday I'll be sorted.

I'll keep you all posted, and likewise it would be great to hear from any other runners who didn't take their first running steps until they hit the big 5-0 or beyond!

Thanks again - this forum is fab!

• Options

Go for it Tikka!  I started running aged 49 -building up really slowly with the Race for Life beginners programme.It took a few months but eventually I was able to do the 5k race.Remember to treat yourself well-good shoes,proper stretching and rest days etc  and you'll be fine.Good Luck!

• Options

yes, course you can

check out the mature runners thread in general, or the over 60s thread to see what can be done

lots of friendly advice and banter on there too

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

I'm raring to go now after reading these posts but I have to be sensible and wait until I get proper shoes on Thursday evening, which is the first time I can get to the Up & Running shop in town where they do gait analysis.  Of course it doesn't help that I slipped on a wonky kerbstone this morning when walking to work and seem to have pulled a muscle in my left calf.  Hopefully it'll be okay again after a couple of days. 

Actually I forgot to mention that - I'm really injury/accident prone!

I'll post on Friday after my first "run".  I've set myself the target of alternating 2mins walk/2mins run over a distance of about 3 miles.  Hopefully that's realistic enough, given that I do quite a lot of walking as it is?

• Options

Tikka, good on ya for getting going---and of course you can do it!  The only mistake you can make (and most of us do) is to try to do too much, too soon. Just take it step by step (literally!) and you'll be surprised at how quickly it comes, especially as you already have good walking fitness.

You're absolutely right to get the shoes sorted first, though. The right ones will not only fit your feet, but support your whole movement.

One site you might look at is this. Jeff Galloway is a hugely experienced coach (and Olympic runner) who advocates run/walk as a permanent way of doing things, you just increase the running and decrease the walking as you get stronger. He claims it actually improves people's time in races, and makes it all much more comfortable. And if you want to feel young, have a look at his book Running Until You're 100!

Check back in and let us know how you get on!

• Options
    Tikka, this is the page on the Galloway site I meant to send you, where he explains about his use of walk breaks--the whole site is worth looking at, though.
  • Options

Yes of course you can!

I was your typical couch potato, weighing in at over 16st. and got out of breath climbing a flight of stairs.  I started walking in Jan 06 to lose weight and ended up running! (sheding 90lbs along the way)

My very first race (a 10K) was in Aug 2006 on my 52nd birthday, and I've many other events since - including 8 half marathons and 2 full marathons.  Next marathon on 2nd March in LA 

If i can do it then anybody canimage

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

You only a youngster Tikka! 

My Mum aged, 74, ran her first R4L last year.

And check out forumite Ceal (usually on Mature thread on General I think). She's mid 60s, only started running a few years ago and is now Masters champion.

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

I'm really heartened by all these stories.  I honestly thought with my lack of ability to do any sport that running was just another thing I'd left too late.  I haven't started yet, of course - maybe it'll be a whole other story once I do! - but right now I can't wait to get out there and give it a go.  If I even run half the distances some of you guys have achieved, I'll be thrilled skinny. 

Check out this month's edition of Runner's World too which is particularly inspiring - uor it is if you're an oul' doll like me!  If Floella Bejamin can start at 49 and complete 10 marathons, it makes my ambition to do a 5K seem even more achievable!

My calf is very sore today where I tripped on the kerbstone, which is a real bummer, but I'm going to ice it now and see if that helps.

Keep the stories coming and I'll be back on Friday to tell you how I get on with the planned 2 min walk / 2 min run schedule!

• Options

Tikka

If you do a brisk walk before you start your training, it will make the jogging easier.
    Find a bit of grass to train on. It is kinder to the joints, and if you insist on tripping over things, it is softer to fall on than tarmac or concrete.

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

I think I've just broken some kind of record - getting injured before I even start my running career!  I sidled into Up &Running tonight trying hard not to wince from the pain in my calf, all set to purchase my first pair of running shoes.  But when I got on the treadmill for a gait analysis, the impact of jogging was so sore on my calf that the guy told me to get off immediately because he could see I was altering my gait.  He recommended going away and coming back again in a couple of weeks time.  So so much for February the 1st being "the day"...  I'm beyond disappointed.  Having said that, the pain in my calf is worse today than it was the day it happened so I doubt I could have run very far anyway.

I suppose I'll just have to revise my goals and hope that it clears up soon, but with my osteoporosis things tend to drag on a bit longer for me than they would for strong bones.

Off now for some comfort eating.... chocolate, anyone?

• Options

Tikka

have faith ahh, just sleep on it,

it's all ups and downs

i''m a 50 vet almost, and more experienced than some have had hot dinners

i mix with some of the most experienced runner there are, and WE still get bad days

so chin up, They are all wonderful people on these threads, and we'll all gradually see you through it all

micknphil-marathonlads.co.uk

• Options

Hi Mick

Tikka

Get your calf better first.
    Then take it easy, start as slow as you like.
    Walk as much as possible - it helps your stamina, and won't put the same stress on you that r*nn*ng does.
    As I have already said, train on soft surfaces as much as possible, because it is lower impact than tarmac or concrete.

I hope that is fair trade dark choc.

• Options

David

my friend, how are u

• Options

Not too bad Mick.
    (gradually falling to bits really)
    Hows yerself?

• Options

much the same as you

gradually falling to bits really !

but really, i'm like you OK !!

hope family is alwight

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

Still pain in my calf when I walk so it will take a while.  But at least I can still walk.  I won't give up my walking, even if it prolongs things on the calf-healing front a little longer - walking keeps me sane.  I arrive in work a much nicer person when I've walked there, and I arrive home a much nicer person when I've hoofed it home again!

I've just discovered another great thread on the Beginners forum from a group who started out in November.  I just want to get started now.  Although judging by tonight's weather, I'm not so sure I'd have run tonight anyway...  Respect to anyone who did.

• Options

Tikka

were with you all the way !!

• Options

Tikka

Honestly - walk. Peep who walk find it easier to start r*nn*ng. (helps basic stamina, toughens the legs)
    Yeah! chech out the other threads, including the INSPIRE thread.

Mick. We had a familly tea Tonight. Luke was in, between going to the pub with his brother, and going out to a fellowship group. His bro Simon stayed to tea (he left home with his girlfriend a few weeks back).
    Then Simon went home, Luke went out, I went to a singing practice, & Mrs BD stayed in (until I got home, then we visited our nearest local together)

• Options
    TikkaTikka ✭✭✭

This weather's playing havoc with my bank balance - not to mention my sanity.  The snow and hail has confined me indoors this afternoon and so far I've managed to order a load of stuff I didn't even know I needed - presumably because I don't image - foff the internet AND in a moment of sheer madness after spotting the ad in the Runner's World magazine, entered the Asics British 10K London Run in, funnily enough, London on 6 July.  And I haven't even started running yet!  I didn't think my entry would be successful - the ad said it was sold out quickly in 2006 and 2007 - but I got an instant response telling me I was in!  Cripes.  I wouldn't mind only I'll have to fly to London, find a hotel.... suddenly it's all adding up to a whole lot of money.  Mind you, once I eventually get started on my running, at least it gives me an incentive to keep going.

Who can I blame for this madness?

Just been reading Granny Denny's story on the home page.  Very inspiring.  Go Granny!

I feel l should log off before any more damage is done....