Confused!

2»

Comments

• I have been running 4 times a week for about 30 mins. at a time. I have got better at running distances but i can still only run for about a mile before i have to have a 1 minute walk then i am fine again for a few hundred yards. I think i should be running longer distances by now. Am i expecting too much of myself or am i doing fine. I have booked to do the great eastern 5k fun run in october & don't want to be left behind too much. Some encouragement & advice would be great.
  • adrian shepherd wrote (see)
     Some encouragement & advice would be great.

You should have no problem with a 5k in October. There is absolutely tons of time and you clearly have lots of determination, going out 4 times a week.

Here's the advice: SLOW DOWN  Distance first, speed second. Have a look at the beginner's articles on here, or perhaps at the BUPA 5k program.

• Thanks skinny for your advice. I think i need to stop running to exaustion & take more walk breaks. I will give it a few weeks to see how i get on then report back on here on my progress.
  • I started running in Feb of this year. I wanted to exercise and thought it would be more convenient than the gym, which I found boring. I was told about a site called mapmyrun.com. I went on and measured out a series of "laps" near my house so I could build up my distance. I had not yet discovered this site!! I started with 0.6 miles around the block, every other night. I never walked but went steady. After 2 weeks I started running a full mile. I ran the sports relief mile in March with the pupils at the school I teach at and was pleased. The PE teacher said I sould just go out and see how far I could run at a steady pace, so I started doing smaller laps so I wasn't far from home. Within a couple of weeks 2 miles was no problem and I have now increased to 3 miles and have the confidence to run with other people. I run twice a week and do 3 miles in 35 mins and I am happy with that. I post this because the only RULE I followed was to run slow and try not to stop but not run if I didn't feel 100%. I am now getting the bug..... I run the RFL in a couple of weeks which will be well within my ability and I am looking at a 10K  in Blackpool in September. These runs are to give me goals and keep me steadily progressing. ALL beginners are STARS it is hard to motivate yourself to do a new activity and we sould be proud and stick at it.
  • Debbie you are doing fantastic. As you say we are all winners because we had the guts to get off our backsides & do something about our fitness. I was given the advice to slow down in april when i was running a couple of miles & not really progressing, I have now done 10 miles today, although my body knows about it at the moment. So just keep it slow & you will be clocking in the miles in no time, the speed will come eventually. Hope this gives you encouragement. I am doing my first 10k in ramsey on the 15th of june which i am really looking forward to then i am doing the Great Eastern Run in october which is a half marathon in my home town of peterborough. image
  • Did 4 miles last night which I am very proud of, just went out kept it steady and ran where I fancied. Didn't know how far I had been until I got home. What will I do next. Thanks for reply. Will keep an Eye out for any more advice.
  • Go girl, your getting better already image