Options

The Magic Roundabout & Hay Festival Social 2008

Comments

• Options
    ah 10 hilly miles - might have to think about which bike - or maybe not best keep on teh Roo by that time of year
  • Options
    I was intent on driving there, run, party, drive back... but if we want, we could make it into a brick session... it is a bit of climb up to the start though...
  • Options
    well I will need the practice
  • Options
    and me... with that silly gauntlet I have throw... 24hr bike race, on a killer course, fetchies trying to beat the Pirates... sigh! We better cycle, as long as the bikes will be safe with the organisers... Cath???
  • Options
    should not be a problem 96.
  • Options
    I may drag another cyclist up the hill for the race as well if he can make that weekend, let me check image
  • Options

Hi Nam and Hanneke, been talking to Auntie Cath and we reckon the best thing re numbers.......is

196 and 169.....be easier for us organisers (save having new numbers printed up). each year you could have a different prefix but always followed by 69 and 96. Sound OK?

We aim to please! JO

• Options
    Rumour has it Nam is happy with anything that ends in 69 ( or so TT tells me?!) image
  • Options
    Put me down for a medium portion of magic please..
  • Options
    Mmmm, this sounds like fun.....
  • Options
    an excellent PB race and an all day piss up in Plymouth with KK v  a wet festival and pissing in the bushes ?????
    • Do2
    • Nam (no. 69 please image)
    • TT
    • KittenKat?
    • Hashette
    • Hanneke (no. 96 please image)
    • Jungle Dave (might as well join the chaos)
      Maddy - hopefully sounds like a good weekend
    • Jola ????
  • Options

Well hello I've only just seen this!! LOL  I don't get the bit about the prefix... but as DoT said... as long as it finishes in 69.....

• Options

I will be where the best party is! image

Weekend in Hay then Kitten - and bringing Jola too by the sounds of it.

• Options

Yay... Jungle Dave... fancy joining me at the back?  We can drag each other over the last hills... image

Cathy...  I still have last years number!!!!!!!!!!! image

• Options
    LOL, we can copy yours Nam and turn it upside down image
  • Options
    Shouldn't be a problem!! image
  • Options
    •  Do2
    • Nam (no. 69 please image)
    • TT
    • KittenKat?
    • Hashette
    • Hanneke (no. 96 please image)
    • Jungle Dave (might as well join the chaos)
    • Maddy - hopefully sounds like a good weekend
    • Jola ????
    • Barly

I would not call it a pb race... I mean, it is for me, as far as fell races go this is a fast course, but not compared to a road race!

• Options
    how are you going to keep this list if and when it goes into triple figures team?!
  • Options

Scroll Cathy, Scroooooooool image

Plus I'm sure you'll get a lot more people who just want to come for the race itself without subjecting themselves to a whole weekend of  alcohol, camping, entertainment, and outdoor pursuits!

• Options
    PS sorry potential 69/96. Have spoken to our timekeepers and no can do. Its not being pedantic - it just mucks up the system, and as you might appreciate, runners get very cross if their times are messed up in any way. I'll get Jo to explain fully tomorow. Time keeping is the hardest job in some ways. Great when all runs smooth, but many problems (normally runners avoiding the funnel at the end or not displaying their no's) can throw it all out. Sequence of numbers is a biggie. 
  • Options

Latest: We had a meeting on Tuesday night. About 11 of us there at the Blue Boar! BUT we've decided long ago it does not work to mix 'business' with pleasure, so we eat before or after the meet or nothing gets done OR someone has too much vino plonko and loses coherancy!!image

Anyway, thought you might like to have very brief idea of what was covered... you might be interested to know the behind -the- scenes perspective. As this is our second race it is more a case of refining/improving rather than the major decision making meetings of last year. It all feels more relaxed, although appreciative of the fact there is still a massive amount to pull off, and the months get ever shorter! This is a long one, but you can always scroll down!

All paperwork and web site info has been updated from last year to accomodate any changes made.

We are trying to buy a marquee from ebay, but open to the fact a bargain may not exist! It would be a huge advantage to have our own.

We agreed on my idea for the 'trophies' - (not trophies at all, but keeping it 'dark' as a surprise!!)

We agreed to go for the alcohol licence, and party!!

Asked Cheryl for her sheep trailer that we used last year in the rain. An absolute god send and what the hell would we have done without it - it is too terrifying to think about. Think saturated paperwork and wet ink - and lots of disgruntled runners with no race times!

We need to make stronger links with the Festival organisers for a win-win situation, and to seek support from the festival with reciprocal links etc

Move the water staion to the half way mark - damn, that means another update on the paperwork! Perfect as will be at HQ more or less - easier to tidy up. To keep bottles, not cups.

No camping at the farm for this year - seems runners want to use Tangerine Fields and to hire showers is very expensive - leave it for another year when Kev will make better mark up.

All agreed to Maggies catering van - looks really unusual with great menu.

As well as handing out race flyers at other race meets, to have application forms ready - many runners say they want to do it anyway - might as well be ready.

To liven up our site. Our runners are all handy with a camera, and have loads of combined experiences to share - lets get it all on the site!

To offer a decent prize for the best marshall. As we used the army cadets last year, some of them were pretty young which in turn means many did not turn up on the day!! What they need (especially if the conditions are as dire), is incentives!! A telly should do it - ask for that as a donation from the co-op. we can but try!

Need someone with knowledge of VHF to deal with walkie talkies on the day - and to organise this aspect of the race.

Agreed to goodie bags - will try askingthe Guardian (festival sponsors), to kindly donate their hessian bags (Hay is plastic bag free), and put in the T-shirts, water, and other donated goods, along with post race questionairre.

Put a 'rep' on the Roundabout to answer runners queries prior to the race, and keep all happy before the starting team arrive.

And lots of ideas to refine from last year, such as longer funnel at end, notice of dogs on leads etc.

So gang, if you have further suggestions, particularly if you were with us last year - do add to this!!

OR if you know of potential marshalls, 'rep', marquee for sale - post it up here !!

I doubt any race can be perfect - but one can give it a damn good try!

Cat

• Options
    Sounds like you've got everything covered to me Cath - maybe an offering to the Sun God a day or so before...?
  • Options
    Hey cath, nice to see you at the Muddy Woody yesterday image
  • Options
    Talking of weather Gods, we want some decent rain a few days before the event, so there is lots of mud, but glorious sunshine on the day image
  • Options

see you up there Do2. The roundabout is bound to have a druidy aspect to it. I shall stand on the crescent bench and offer lambs blood or something. Are you any good at catching them though? On second thoughts it al sounds a bit gruesome - we'll offer something clean instead. A roll of red and white race tape should do the trick.

Losing it completely, Cat

• Options

Cat - a long story shortened...

Peru. Lake Titikaka. Island of Mother Earth. 1998 I think...

Peruvian guide takes a group of us up the mountain on the island to see the Temple Of Mother Earth. As we are about to descend, he takes a bottle of Coke from his pocket.

"Ah" I think to myself, I'm feeling thirsty, I wonder if he'd share some. He promptly pours the entire bottle over the wall of the temple as an offering to the God: Mother Earth.

So, sounds as if any dark liquid could do the trick!