Options

Six Nations 2008

Comments

• Options

FB - I can see your point but I enjoyed it enormously but only because I had a vested interest.

The team were at least trying on this occasion, but perhaps too much. Trying too hard not to make mistakes. However, after the shocking performances against France and Wales all I asked for was an improvement. And that I got.

Hiya Nemo - hard cheese for your lads too. Didn't think the Englanders had it in them!

Things didn't quite go our way but all is not lost. We can end competiton on a high. Whether we will or not is up to debate and the knives are out for old Frank but we must give him these two games to pull it round. I like him, although he is perhaps a tad laid back.

• Options
    methinks Hadden is dead and buried after this tourno Dude.....unless the Jocks beat the Sais so I'll be rooting for you guys in that one....
  • Options

The Irish look dangerous and the Welsh rampant. However the French are stuttering and if they actually fire on all cylinders it's going to be awesome.

Wales - France could be an absolute broken play ball fest

• Options
    That was simply a very good day on Saturday. I got 45th in the National XC and all the rugby results went the right way. I woke up on Sunday happy and with a sore head!
  • Options

CLOWNWATCH:

Ian Balshaw strikes again...and again...and again. I particularly liked the way that one of his cock-ups under the high ball was somebody else's fault. He must be hoping that Coco Ashton sees it the same way. Unfortunately, he probably will. Still, I suppose that Balshaw is the best English-qualified fullback in the country, what with Lewsey, Morgan, Armitage, Abendanon, Tait and Cipriani being injured 'n' all image

Coco seems to have been reading the Janet and John book of Coaching a little more thoroughly this week. He resisted the temptation to throw on all his replacements with 15 minutes to go, just because 'it's a 22 man game nowadays', and whaddya know? Noone did anything silly, England closed out the game.

Of course, despite being defensively sound, England had no spark of creativity in the backs. It's only to be expected with Noon and Wilkinson at 10 and 13. England have a crop of backs who could be (quite literally) world-beaters. There is no reason why a side can't play with both forward power and running backs...except for lack of vision in the coaching staff.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; look at the stats for Newcastle in the Premiership. Look at the stats for the top teams. Which teams have the better back lines? Why is the Newcastle back line playing for England?

The good news is that we seem to keep finding good back-rowers. The bad news is thaqt this means that Coco will have to make a choice...and we know he's not very good at that, don't we, boys and girls?

• Options

The bad news is thaqt this means that Coco will have to make a choice.

Poaching in league then!  image

• Options

Wouldn't be at all surprised if he selected a couple of flankers from RL image

England aren't short of decent back row players:

Moody, Worsley, Rees, Ward-Smith, Lipman, Croft, Haskell, Lund, Easter, Crane, Narraway, just off the top of my head. The problems are

a) getting them fit
    b) working out who playes where and with whom

• Options

a) getting them fit

Club V country problem?

b) working out who playes where and with whom

Ashton the super coach! image Also see Billy connelly "The scotland football team routine"

• Options
    Crashie, you missed out Mike Brown in those fullbacks. In defence of Newcastle's backs, with the World Cup & 6N, how many times have that back line actually played for Newcastle, and even then they still have to play behind Newcastle's pack. Even with Carl Hayman, they're not the most fearsome unit to give the backs an opportunity.
  • Options

Agreed about Mike Brown.

I've just had a look on the Falcons' website; it seems they've had 3 or 4 GP games as 10 Wilkinson 12 Flood 13 Noon; I'm not sure that the 'crap pack' argument is anything other than a smokescreen; they don't look incisive even when behind a dominant 8 image  I don't think that they're bad players, just that it's not the best combination to produce attacking rugby.

Why not go:

9 Care/Wigglesworth
    10 Lamb
    11 Varndell or Strettle
    12 Geraghty
    13 Hipkiss or even better J S-D
    14 Sackey
    15 Cipriani or Abendanon

and see what sort of an attacking edge that gives? (I know one or two of the above are injured) I also recognise that it might leak a few tries...and that I've left out several other exciting players...

• Options
    agree on J S-D
  • Options

Actually Balshaw's perfomance was one of the few things I enjoyed on Saturday. Even I would have been nearer that high ball that he missed... probably.

Also when he tried to join the ruck and Brian Moore started shouting "What are you doing - you're a fullback!!!"

I bet the Scots are praying that he plays next time! image

• Options

Ooh, I've just noticed I've got an icon!

Well I was never going to get the Ironman or really fast marathon one - I'm quite chuffed image

• Options
    Apparently a massive 124 viewers have complained to the BBC that it showed too much rugby last Saturday.  Did anybody else find the gap between games 2 and 3 a little too long?
  • Options
    I thought game 2 was a little too long full stop
  • Options

Not at all.  Best of the three.  Ulstermen flying and Murphy at the top of his game. 

• Options
    Time to start predictions for the weekend then. I can't see past England & France wins against Scotland & Italy. Croke Park game is the tricky one. A combination of ingrained pessimism and a belief that Ireland's poor form inthe last few months has led everyone to swing from billing them as World Cup dark horses to one of the worst teams to play international rugby, when, in reality they are still a pretty good side who are very tough to beat at home, makes me go for Ireland to win. I did say Wales would lose their last away game as well though and that turned out quite well for them!
  • Options

Scotland, Ireland, France.

• Options
    GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Cipriani to score - off the pitch that is, obviously
  • Options

Balshaw's not playing so I think Scotland are out of luck. image

I predict victories for Wales (ooh - controversial!), England and France.

I'm going to have to run the Finchley 20 in record time to try and get back in time for France v. Italy. I'll tape it just to be on the safe side!

• Options

Balshaw's back!

I take it back - Scotland to win!!!

• Options

Oh.

My.

God.

Is it April 1st..?

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. That was a serious report, wasn't it?

Good to see that Coco has called up another fly half to the bench...you can never have too many fly halves in a side...I mean, who would fill in at 10 if Wilkinson, Flood and Hodgson all got injured? Surely there's a place for Andy Goode?

Ashton doesn't know what he's doing.

<wanders off, shaking head>

• Options

I bet Patterson's out practicing high kicks as I type...

Of course Balshaw could always play a blinder and win the game for England with a hat-trick of tries... 

• Options

Can't catch.

Can't tackle.

Has no positional sense whatsoever.

He may be able to make the odd good run (in theory), but so can several other players, who bring the added minor benefits of being able to catch and tackle.

Absolutely unbelievable.

• Options

My prediction is........................

F*ck knows!

• Options
    feck me

Rugby player caught out drinking and staying out late midweek

what the hell is going on in rugby????

they'll stop them drinking aftershave next.....

well - I can see the Scottsh tactics now - drop a high one in Balshaw's general direction as he probably will be miles away and chase up like buggery and snaffle the loose ball....
  • Options

To be fair he did have a go at rucking the other week so he's obviously willing to learn new skills. Is Brian Moore going to be commentating on this match? He might have a fit!

image snigger image

• Options

<books seat behind sofa for duration of match>

Wales, France and probably Scotland if they can follow up the high ball...

• Options
    Erm, England won away in Paris with Balshaw starting. Why does this suddenly give hope to Scotland who are not in the same league as France? Balshaw played poorly from what I saw of the French game, and there are better full-backs in the Premiership IMHO but as for this making Scotland a serious threat? Why would it? It would have to be a different Scotland team to anything seen in the last year to win this weekend. Taylor being back strengthens them a lot, but they are still heavily second favourites.
  • Options
    But France didn't really play a kicking game they just kept trying to run past Vainikola (sp?).  If Scotland play a tighter game and just kick the ball at him all the time they may get something.