Dundee Adventure Marathon

NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Just received this e-mail

DRAM (Dundee Running Adventure Marathon) 2008 - Gets GREEN light!Plans are well under way for the DRAM 2008, with an increased entry level of 350 - full details and updates can be found at http://www.eventfull.biz/marathon.html The exact date is yet to be confirmed but will be either the w/end 13th/14th or 20th/21st September 2008 - this will be confirmed within the next 10 days.Full online entry to this event will open on Monday 11th February 2008.PLEASE NOTE: You have received this email because you (or someone using your email address) had previously signed up as interested in a previous Dundee Marathon event.PLEASE ALSO NOTE: This event will not suit traditional marathon runners, as there will be sections where runners will be delayed by police, stewards or traffic lights, hence the "adventure" aspect which has been introduced.If you haven't already done so you can request a copy of the Green Circular map - FREE of charge - please see website for further details.If you have any questions regarding this event, then please get back in touch with us.Regards.Eventfull Management Limited

Comments

• Thanks Nessie for posting this. 

This is great news, always wanted a marathon around the green circular.  I will be signing up as soon as the entries open.  An autumn marathon will compliment Lochaber just right.

• A bit confused by the adventure tag.  Does the green route really class as an adventure?
  • Aparently the 'adventure' part is because you have to be prepared to stop at traffic lights!? I'm going to do it anyway  as its kind of local.
  • So is the adventure trying to cross the roads?  Never found that too much of a problem around the city at the moment.
  • Unless its at Claypotts junction!!
  • Must admit I try to avoid that one.  Hopefully that is where we get the help from the boys in blue!
  • Entries were supposed to open today, but there does not seem to be any information on the website.
  • Just received this email today:

DRAM (Dundee Running Adventure Marathon) 2008   We can now confirm the date for this event is to be Saturday 20th September 2008 (scheduled to start at 9.30am) - this is partly to coincide with the annual Dundee Cyclathon event which is on the following day and uses much the same route.   The term "adventure" relates partly to the terrain used for about half of the marathon (a mixture of path and trail) as well as the aspect of certain key points (including the infamous Claypotts junction) where runners may be held up temporarily until given permission to proceed - this may well not suit traditional marathon runners.   Further details are still being ironed out regarding the agreed final route, including access to the dock as well as certain options on the actual cycle path itself - you will receive advance notification as soon as online entry opens.   If you haven't already done so you can request a copy of the Green Circular map - FREE of charge - please see website for further details.   PLEASE NOTE: You have received this email because you have signed up for email alerts for this event - you can unsubscribe at any time by emailing the address below.   There is an entry limit of 350 competitors, so if you have any work colleagues or running club mates who may be interested then please feel free to pass on these details.   If you have any additional questions regarding this event, then please get back in touch with us.   Regards.   Eventfull Management Limited 

• This'll fill a nice gap in my Autumn schedule and it's just down the road too, superb image

• I see the entry is still not open yet
  • The latest update on the website says entries will open Monday 3rd March and there's also a link to the  route on google maps - the start and finish are in Camperdown Park (possibly the Golf Club).

So there will be at least 5 of us then....

• Let's hope there is more than 5.  Dundee should be capable of hosting a marathon.  I do wonder if people will be put off by the 'adventure' element of the run.  As I undertand it they are not planning to close the roads, so we will have to wait at the pedestrian crossings for the traffic to stop.  So any lead you may have built up in the race could be eliminated as  you stand waiting for the green man to show.  This is why they cannot call it a race.
  • Entries open in 8hrs..... whoop image
  • Hey MM, get in the queue.  No pushing in allowed.  All 5 of us are jockeying for position here. 

Less than 7 hours to go.

• Is there a medal for first entry ?        image
  • Only joking - trying to keep interest going in this thread and to increase the numbers entering a marathon in my hometown.  A bit worried at the moment that if there is not enough interest in the event we may lose it, and that would be a pity.
  • I feel like I should be supporting this too but the doubts are setting in as the online entry has changed 3 times now. I'm getting bad vibes about it image
  • I know what you mean MrsM.  Do you know anything about the people who are organising this?  I hope they are not the same crew that used to run the Dundee half.  Surely nothing could get as bad as that used to be?

They do seem to run other events, but I do not know how well these have been organised. 

• They seem to have the entries open on time.  £26.2 entry fee.  Not too expensive, compared to some of the bigger headline events.  So who is going to be first to bite the bullet and enter?
  • Was away to dive in, but have had a call back on an employment opportunity, which could see me leave the UK, so I'll hang on to my £26 a week or two longer until things are settled 1 way or another.

So go ahead, after you. image

• I emailed to ask if they were applying for an SAF permit and they said no. I also think £26 is quite steep. Still swithering.....
  • Signed up and paid my money. image
  • MrsM - I did not think £26 was too bad, not seen many marathons for much less, and plenty for a lot more.

I have decided to enter, how could I not go for it when the course passes the end of our road - only problem is our youngest is competing in the Scottish Piping Championships that day, so I will have to run quick enough to get there in the afternoon and to see the prize giving. 

• I just ran the Seville Marathon for 15 Euros and you got : Medal, technical vest & shorts, towel, armband carrier thingy, keyring, badges, & a massive goody bag! I realise this is not the norm, but regularly run ultras that are under £20. All you get in this one is a T-shirt. I don't really care what you get for the run, its the running after all, but they are not even paying for the Police so what is the money actually for? I'll probably enter too, just fancied a wee moan image
  • That is very good value MrsM. I know what you mean about a good moan. We seem to have to pay a lot more for many things over here, and we moan but pay for it. To be honest I rarely wear the T shirts from races, as they are horrible cotton things that are not practical for running in, and I do not wear T shirts for anything else.  Like you I am doing it for the fun of the race and the challenge, not the goodies at the end.
  • I think an absolutely fab marathon would be to start in dundee city centre down onto the river and to follow the paths and cyclepaths all the way to arbroath.  A finish under the arch of the abbey would be fantastic.  The course by running through dundee, Broughty Ferry, Monifieth, Carnoustie and arbroath would show the best that Dundee and Angus has to offer for tourists both historically and scenically and would also be a really fast course as it would be downhill and on most weeks of the year downwind.  This race doesn't really showcase anything that dundee has to offer and I'd want more than a minature of whisky and fruit of the loom t-shirt at the finish. The old marathon was as tough as tarzan's feet but it was a big day for dundonians.  1000s of people came out to watch runners pass near to where they stayed.  The half marathon has naff all support as the majority of it is now through industrial areas miles from folks homes and this green circle route is even more remote.  The 2nd half of the race being 10 miles into the wind followed by a 150m climb in the last 3 miles with no support would kill me.  I'd be very tempted to stop at mum and dad's house and call it a day. 

As to the term adventure.  I'm sure running through Fintry, Kirkton, Whitfield and Douglas is an adventure (driving at night through these areas is an adventure!!!!) but it is one I think I'll manage to resist.

• Hi guys,

I'm in for this one too - not sure it's such a good idea since I have the LN mara 2 weeks later (assuming I get in the ballot again) but hey ho...

Couldn't resist though since it's just over the water from meimage

• the day before anglesey
  • How many of you did actually run in the end? I thought it was a good route and a fabulously friendly event, so it was a shame there were so few runners.  The weather yesterday helped, I'm not sure just how grim it would have been down at the docks if it had been pouring rain but Templeton Woods and the shore were delightful bits to run through.

I was really worried that I might get lost. I don't know Dundee and I knew it was likely to get a bit lonely at the back, but there were blue arrows on the ground at all the turn-offs  and marshalls at all the dubious points.

I chatted to quite a few people that I've seen at other races but never said hello to and quite a few perfect strangers as well. I find the big maras can sometimes seem lonelier than the little ones.

The organiser said it would run again next year. Barring injury I'll definitely be back, what did you think? 

• I kind of ran it.  Sorrry for gatecrashing your race. image

I thought you were running anticlockwise like the cyclathon today and ended up on my new york marathon training run right in amongst you lot.  I was the weird bloke who seemed to appear from nowhere in Monifieth to 2nd or 3rd for ages before running in the opposite direction on my way back to carnoustie.  I did try to give a bit of encouragement but probably only managed to make you all think you had taken a wrong turning.  I didn't trust myself not to fall over something on a trail and break something or try to tank it round in a race and wreck my legs in the process. My hols are taking priority this year and a 20 miler was more than enough in that heat yesterday. 

Well done all of you that finished.  maybe one year I'll join you properly image