Options

Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Go for it Mum2ten, have a cracking final run tomorrow and you will be entirely prepared for the day. As for being lonely at the back of the field, that won't be the case there will always be someone to talk to and if the worst comes to the worst, you can run with me as I will be bringing up the rear. Trust me though, that will be incentive enough to keep going when the going gets toughimage
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

mum2ten - you will be fine.  Have a lovely run tomorrow.

• Options

Kevin - there is a water station at just after half way on the marathon course that you can leave a drink on - unfortunately we just don't have enough volunteers to transport drinks around the course - at the moment we are about 10 marshals short.  You will also need to make sure you collect the drink yourself. 

I can also confirm what MF7 said earlier - both races are FULL!!!!image

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mrs F - That just proves how good this race is.
  • Options
    Hi Mrs F, the delectable Mrs CF has volunteered to marshall in the Ramsgate area if you need her, preferably by the Granville
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Cliff face - a big thank you to Mrs CF.
  • Options
    CF - That's marvellous will let Pauline know
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    2 weeks.  I am getting excited image
  • Options

Just completed a 16 miler which felt ok. Now really looking forward to the marathon. I have done the half a few times but never the full marathon at thanet so am looking forward to a new challenge. Still waiting for my race number but hopefully it will turn up this week. I entered online at the start of August but the race entry people were on holiday then.Looking forward to getting the route etc so i can arrange my loyal family supporters to be in certain places along the route!

• Options
    Managed to run for just over 4hours yesterday so even at the speed I run that should cover the 20miles I needed to.The first hour was definetely the worst,it took me ages to get into it,a real mental battle with the what am I doing question.After that it was fine and I feel fine today thankgoodness.I also entered two weeks ago online but haven't got my number. Can't find confirmation of my entry either so was a bit worried but have checked and the money has gone out of my account so hope it arrives this week sometime.I presume if it doesn't we collect them on the day.
  • Options
    Well done to you both. It is lovely to have finished the last long run and know that you can now enjoy the taper. Relax over the next two weeks, eat and sleep well and you will have a terrific dayimage
  • Options

Thanks guys for the words of encouragement (a few pages back). Just a quick question for you experieced marathon runners please? Having had plenty of pasta the previous night, what breakfast do you suggest the morning of the marathon? Just curious. Cereal? Toast? Porridge? Full english?;-)

Appreciate any wisdom. Thanks

PS mum2ten - I'm sure you'll be well ahead of me. 

• Options

I like porridge, but not too much and a bagel with butter and jam... Giraffe Apple juice (50% water - 50 % AJ

aka half and half... or Giraffe). and a cuppa

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I usually have porridge.
  • Options

Nothing you haven't tried before a long run well in advance!!!

I will have 3 sachets of maple & honey Oat So Simple and a bagel before leaving home, around 2 hours before the start. A coffee and a small amount of watered down energy drink. I will then have a couple of banana's while driving to the race - it'll take around 1h 30. (I won't elaborate, but as well as energy providing, there are some other very important advantages to those foods in that order!). All the way,  will sip energy drink, but keeping an eye on how 'straw coloured I am'!!!! I'm usually pretty good, so don't drink too much! Especially with the long drive!!!!

I'm eating the most here, and I also carry with me chopped up energy bar and jelly babies in cling film for every few miles!!!   

• Options
    I usually have muesli and yogurt, followed by a slice of honey on toast en route and a banana about 30 mins before start.  Don't drink too much water on race day - make sure you rehydrate fully in the 2-3 days before.  I usually sip energy drink the morning of race day rather than water.
  • Options
    Just heard those horrible words " I'VE GOT A TERRIBLE COLD " (uttered by a friend of my girlfriend's daughter!!) I ran upstairs and shut myself in my bedroom until she left the house.YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE HEARING WORDS LIKE THAT SO CLOSE TO A MARATHON!....NIGHTMARE!
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    bartster - Vicks First Defence works for me. It save the day for me at Beachy Head marathon.
  • Options
    Mum2Ten - if you have confirmation of your online entry then come and see me on race day.  Entries have closed and both races are FULL but if you've got your printout then no problems
  • Options
    Oops forgot to explain that our Webmaster has to download the online entries and bring round to me who has to then enter them and then email him the updated list of entries and as I work full time and so does he we have to fit this in around everything else - hence the delays
  • Options

I usually have a banana and a bowl of weetabix and museli. Plus about three mugs of tea. Normally eat another banana 45 mins before the start.

Always have a couple of glasses of red wine the night before for medicinal purposes. Not for everybody but it works for me!

• Options
    Just back from my little break and was amazed to see how many folk were running in 30C+ temps. I was dripping just walking in it. Took my Garmin with me but guess how much I actually did! Yeah, zilch. Did a very enjoyable 10k when I got home and felt great. I have a problem with tapering in that I also feel I really struggle on the first run after a long break so I intend to keep doing 6-8 miles a few times between now and race. I am still worried that when I go the longer distance I crack up.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice tracey G..........bought some Vicks first defence today!!
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Mark/Mrs C - Toby on the half marathon thead asked if he could carry on after the half.

• Options
    Tracey will pop in the thread but the answer is No unless he transfers his entry up to the full marathon
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Thanks Mark.

What treats have we got this year?

• Options

Metcheck forecast for the 7th is 17c with a bit of sun and a bit of cloud, sounds puurrrrrfect. image

Can I phone the Council and ask them to make sure the start/finish area looks smart, last year they hadn't even cut the grass (I am sorry but cutting grass is a passion of mine)image

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Cliff face - maybe you will have to cut it for them.
  • Options
    Tracey, my morning is looking pretty busy already: run over to the start with MF, cut the grass, pin on my new number, run a marathon, run home again?????, and then do all of my Cinders duties in the house. I can hear a collective arrrrggghhhhhhh.image
  • Options
    And because I replied to you instead of paying attention to my breakfast, I have burnt my bagel!!!! The day can only get betterimage