Kent Coastal Marathon

Comments

• Tracey G - will try and sort the weather out for next year - at least it wasn't as hot as last weekendimage
  • Hi all, just wanted to say that as a marshall yesterday I had a gr8 time!

Thank you to all of you who took the time to say "Thanks" or even just smile and wave, believe me, it makes a difference!!

Well done to all of you who finished x

• Nicola - Where did you marshall?

• I would just like to add a massive thanks to all those involved in providing such a great event.  The support from the marshals in such miserable conditions was brilliant.

It was my first marathon and I am still on a massive high.  I can't wait for the next one, although I hope the winds aren't as strong next year!!  

Once again, a big thank you.

• I would like to echo everyone elses words by thanking all involved with the thanet marathon. The marshalls and scouts were great plus all those who were handing out jelly babies.

That was my first full marathon and after taking it steady for the first half (1hr 50)  I thought that keeping the same pace would keep me going until the end- Wrong. Cramp at 17 miles whilst pushing against the wind put pay to that therory. Still we finished in 4hrs 29 which was slower than I'd hoped but now I have a bench mark to improve on.

Seeing as I live and train in Norfolk, hills are a bit alian to me but they didn't seem to bad, it was the long distaces with a head wind and seaweed smell that I struggled with. Thanks to a runner that I think was called John Williams from the 100 club for his words of support whilst I battled with cramp.

Thanks again

• Just seen the official results. Pleased with top 50, but very relieved to have beaten the 132 year old woman!!!! Sub 4 hours - pretty good!! Have to say, most people I saw looked like 132 year old women, I certainly felt like it at times!
  • My plan was to try and keep my pace above 9:10 min/mile to get a sub 4hr finish. I got to the half way stage in 2 hours and felt good. Running through Margate also felt good, I then got to about mile 14/15, turned a corner and bam! The wind. It felt like someone had their two hands on my shoulders pushing me in the opposite direction. I've experienced wind during some of my training runs, mainly  gusts, but never continuous strong wind like that. I was looking at my watch and the pace dropping from 9:05 to 9:25. After that I didn't bother trying to keep pace. When the turnaround point came at Minnis Bay and everything went silent, the running became easier, then the fatigue in my legs set in around mile 22/23 and I could feel my pace dropping again. After the hill at mile 25 was over with, everything became a blur. All I can remember is seeing the tents and marshals, then picking up my pace and running on auto pilot to the finish. I managed to finish in 4:20 which I was very pleased with as a few months back I couldn't run a bath, nevermind a marathon!
  • Well done chaffordred, that was a great time in the circumstances, a true baptism of fire. Doing a first marathon in those conditions means your next one should be a lot easier. Believe it or not that is not the worst we get in Thanet. The 30mph or so headwind as we turned the corner into Minnis Bay was touching 50 mph on the last mile of our Thanet 10 last year.

Cable I am glad you beat the 132 year old woman, I didn't. Mind you CMF swopped the numbers of CF and I over but not our ages, so although I felt 10 years older at the finish I was actually 10 years younger.

• To be honest CB, that was the hardest thing I've ever done and right now I couldn't think of doing another.

How does yesterday's marathon compare to the FLM?

• CB - Don't remind me how bad Thanet 10 was last year. I would do it again thou. We did get a lovely polo shirt last year for the 25th anniversary image Poor Cliff face got most of the 50mph wind marshalling. Thanet marshalls are a tough lot.
  • Great stories from you all, it really was a fantastic day, and as the sweep I really enjoyed cheering the runners as they passed on the return journey, even though I was 11 miles behind!!!! Bill, thanks for the age 'leg up' it improved my % rating no end. I am now looking forward to my prize in the club 55-60 age group!!!!

Well done to you all, runners, organisers and marshalls for a fantastic day.

Chaffordred, every marathon is 26.2 so they are all hard, FLM gives the lift of having a couple of million spectators rather than a couple of seagulls, but each time I have run FLM I couldn't care less how many people are watching during the last 6 miles, I just want to get to the end. The feeling of crossing the finish line is everything for me. Good luck and keep running

• Hi Tracey G

I was the marshall at the top of the Minnis Bay slope - handing out jelly babies and trying to get the cars to stop long enough for you all to cross the road!!

• Well done Chaffordred. I was 3 35 on Sunday - I ran 5hrs 18 on my marathon debut in 2001! (I also ran 4 consecutively from 4.20-4.21, so you're in good company!!!)

I also ran 6 mins quicker than at April's FLM, despite identical training. The main difference is that you had space to run your own race, whereas in London there's always a crowd to get round. You have to experience both the big city races and the local ones to get the full effect. Keep it going!  

On this - if you all get a chance, have a look back at the full postings on this forum. Some fella called 'Chaffordred' asking whether he'd be able to run a marathon, and another called 'Cable' deciding whether to run Kent Coastal or Abingdon! Thanks for helping me make a great choice!!!

• Chaffordred - FLM will be a breeze after this one!image

Cable - very well done

Hello Nikki you found us thenimage

• Thanks CMF!

- but as for being 'a breeze' I'm not getting into another battle of the 'wind puns'!!! CB's your man for that!

• I am not going to get involved in any more puns, but seriously, FLM is a piece of cake compared to this marathon. Do try and go for it. as somebody said, every marathon is 26.2 miles but they do seem a bit easier when you have hundreds of thousands of people cheering you on, it is an unforgettable experience and a fantastic day out.
  • Feel very relieved to have got my first marathon under my belt.Really wanted to get under 5hrs but was far too cautious in the first half and stuck myself behind someone who looked like they knew what they were doing more than I did!Ended up running the slowest haif marathon ever by 12mins as wasn't really looking at my watch and couldn't believe the time when we ran past the clock half way(that was hard,leaving all those people behind and heading off on your own)second half much better as ran at my own pace.Knew what to expect from the wind as ran the Thanet 10 last year.

Thanks to everyone involved and well done to everyone else on your fantastic times.What about the Quicksand 15,should I do that next?

• Quicksand 15 is a brilliant event!  Quite tough running on sand and if the tide has been unkind the flints are uneven and slippery BUT you do get a nice teeshirt and a novelty race memento!  I'm tail end Charlie this yearimage
  • Mrs F - could you please send me an email, so that I can I can send you photos of your hubby & CB?

CB - Would you like your photos too?

• Yes please, if they are not too dire. You can send them through the link on here if you like.
  • CB - I don't know how to do that. I am not pc minded.
  • CB - How are your legs today?
  • CB - I have sent your photos to you by email. They are the orginal size so that you can print them out if you so wish.
  • It looks like the photos on imagesaurus won't be there until next week now. The photographer hasn't got them sorted yet. Apologies for the delay.

When they are you will be able o download them after you have paid straight away and then either print them out or use them for PC backdrops

• Was this the guy immediately after the turn at Ramsgate? I wasn't expecting him and am sure I had a drinks bottle hanging out of my mouth as I passed him!

One thing with photo's - my own official photographer(!) was really pleased that he managed to see me 4 times from Ramsgate back to Margate. He was able to park up, take pictures, swap drinks then drive on to the next suitable point. Another positive!

• Cable - My hubby was in the red jacket at the turn around point. I looked for your number, but sorry he missed you.
  • Got lots of photos of MF7.