Options

Torbay Half Marathon

Comments

• Options

I did the Dawlish Dash last night and got a PB by knocking just over 3 minutes off my previous time image 

Now I'm hoping I can knock 3 minutes off my half PB and get a sub 2 hour time!

Neil - I really hope you manage to get a sub 1.25 image 

So how is everyone's training going, do you feel ready?

• Options

small: fantastic PB! is that a best time over last year? Def committed to sub two hours now image Is the Dawlish Dash the one with a very big hill or three? If I remember rightly you cant leave Dawlish without going up pretty mean hills...

Agree with you on Neil; 1:25 is legend. Go for it mate!

even with all the miles im doing my biggest challenge remains weight gain, if I can keep the weight down I should be ok and go for a 1:40. Its the week before thats the problem for me, tapering means I have to watch my diet because I'm not burning it all off every day. I'm guessing Im not alone with this amateurish, undisciplined problem! image

• Options

I'm counting the Plymouth Half as a long run, doing another 10-12 miles on Sunday (depends on if I get on the right path in the park how far I go) and then easing down. Right achilles is a bit tender but toes survived Plymouth intact.

This is the shortest time between halfs that I've had so will be interesting to see how my legs hold out.

• Options

kwilter: what happens if you get on the wrong path!? One mile stroll to pub lunch? image

steady today then LSR tomorrow image then ressssssssssssst on Sunday watching Mrs 42 in Plymouth Race For Life

• Options

Doing 11.5 miles tomorrow afternoon along the whole length of the Great west canal, which should be nice, although a bit flat.  Want to see how my toes survive with the larger trainers and the taping of all toesimage  Off to Britians strongest man at Minehead on Wednesday and Thursday next week, so 2 days in a row of rest which will make a change.

I have decided this will be my last Half this year, as its my 3rd and I struggle to fit the training in and still enjoy it.

• Options

I last did Dawlish Dash in 2006 Number 42. 

It's a flat race as it starts at Dawlish Warren, runs along the footpath beside the sea then down the steps onto the beach. Along the beach for what seems like ever (it's hard work running on the sand and pebbles) then we turn and go back. Normally having to climb over groins but as the tide was on the way in last night we were able to duck under them. Up the steps and back past the start and down by the sea wall towards Dawlish. Over the railway bridge and the only steep part is the short incline up to the cliff footpath. Then it's mainly flat and fast back to the next bridge. That's a killer on the legs going down the steps! Then a short sprint to the finish! image

• Options

Thanks small, hope its cool enough to do it!

Kwilter, my theory is the last batch of online entries overlapped the race limit but id already paid so they let me in. Its all good!!

• Options

There's some great times in the list - good luck with 1.25 Neil; I know one person who won't be keeping up with you!

I feel that my listed time should be changed from ????? so could you pop me down as 2hrs please?

I'm impressed with all the races you are doing for your training, you are all clearly very experienced. My training is going well as per the Runners World 10 week plan; last night was a painful one as it involved 2 x 8 mins fast. It seems the faster you go, the slower it takes 8 mins to count down! Wondered what on earth I was doing at the time but felt great about it after. I have a gentle 4 miles to do tomorrow then 11 miles on Sunday.

• Options

Neil Barkell: 1:25
    Tinker: 1:30
    number42: 1:40
    small: 1:59:59
    runnersbeen: 2:00
    RichC: 2:00
    kwilter: 2:25
    Miserable Bleeder: 2:30

• Options

Richc - Sounds like you're trainings going really well, well done!

Runnersbeen - Hope you have a great run along the canal, it sounds great!

I'm hoping for 'some' sunshine and a cooling breeze on the 22nd image

• Options

Thanks Small - my schedule said to run on grass today so I took in a stretch of old railway embankment. There was certainly grass but only to cover the puddles, bogs and stinging nettles - back to roads for me!

I'm with you on the weather front - I suppose we'll all start watching the forecast with interest in a few days time.

Amateur question again - is there a good way to take on water and energy during the run? Do people carry water bottles or just rely on the stations, if so, how many does one stop at?  As ever, any tips are very much appreciated!

• Options

Just thought I let you all know, there is a Torbay Half Marathon Group on Facebook, If you are a member of Facebook and doing the Torbay Half Marathon, then you may like to join the THM Facebook Group. You can upload any race photos or videos to the group. You can also post messages on the Wall, just like RW forum.

Try this link >> http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14956131497

If you are not a member of facebook, join www.facebook.com and then try the link above.

I will be running with my 73 year old father, 2 cousins from Bromley and a brother. Big family day out.

Have a great race on Sunday 22nd June

Stephen Wilbraham
    Webmaster for www.torbayhalfmarathon.co.uk
    Race Number: 579

• Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Stephen
    Good event web site you have there; I particularly like the way you list all the entrants - nice to see who's going from your own club, etc.
    Shame that you don't allow number swaps, otherwise a good event.  Looking forward to it.

• Options

I got my number today...anyone else's arrived?

20 minutes, are you going to be there?

• Options

nope no number yet.

Richc: very much down to you, personally, for a half I dont carry anything with me. The hour before the race I drink half a litre or so of energy drink (or water, whatever), go to the loo 5-10 mins before the race, then head down and go for it. I take advantage of sponges but tend not to drink on the way round. Most people do seem to drink on the way round though so Im prob in the minority. And if you're going to be running for 2 hours then I imagine taking advantage of the drinks would be important. Dont over hydrate though, drink too much and you can get nauseous and all sorts. I think I am right in thinking that received opinion is about 1litre per hour of exercise. Not that I ever do anything thats received opinion.

Personally i'd like a spot of rain. I love runnin in the rain image

• Options

I love the rain too, I convince myself it slows all the racing snakes down, but has little effect on my plod.

I go for a drink at most drink stations, but don't drink a full bottle, just a few big gulps. At Plymouth I took 2 gels with me which I had at about 5 and 8 miles, just before the drink station.

• Options
    Well I did my run along the canal and my blisters have come up again.  I think I will have to withdraw.  I cannot stop blisters re occuring after 10 miles.
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

kwilter
    Yes, I have a place (but no number delivered yet).

• Options

Oh runnersbeen, I hope you don't withdraw, that would be such a shame. image

Anyone here got any tips on how to prevent blisters?

I only get tiny ones on the very tips of some of my toes after half marathons (haven't run any further than that yet so I'd probably get bigger ones the further I go!) They haven't caused any problems so far.

I always take a drink at the drink stations, even if it's just a few sips. Later on in the race I will stop and walk whilst drinking to make sure I'm getting enough fluids in. This is more important if it's a hot day.

I usually find a couple of jelly babies at around 7 and 10 miles is enough to keep me going too but this race will only be my 4th half so I'm no expert! image

No numbers here yet either.

• Options
    I dont want to withdraw, but will have to see how it goes.  I have my number.  am sitting with my feet in surgical spirit and olive oil at the moment.  It usually works, but I just don't know if its worth it for a t shirt and medal.
  • Options

Many thanks for the drinks advice - that's really useful to know.

I'm with you Small, I hope the blisters don't prevent you from running Runnersbeen. I'm also a convert to the rain idea, having trained in the heat today, but as I am in Devon for a family holiday, I wouldn't want any rain to go beyond the event!

• Options

runnersbeen: looking at your profile I imagine you know your stuff. But when it comes to blisters, I see each one as an opportunity to strengthen the skin on my feet. I pretty much nurture a blister once Ive got it, popping it only if it becomes a nusiance and only when I have very clean feet and always last thing at night so that it dries out while Im asleep. I then waste absoulutely no time in running on it pretty much as soon as possible. The result? The skin becomes harder and better than ever.

I wouldnt soak my feet in olive oil; it will simply promote further softening of the skin. And so long as your feet are clean when you pop the blister it shouldnt get infected anyway.

Ive had little or no trouble with blisters for the last few years and that includes running marathons and further. You shouldnt be getting blisters every time you run 10 miles or further and can definitely stop it from happening. 

As I say: think of blisters as an opportunity to harden your feet. 

It would be a real shame to have to stop running these distances because of something I am sure you can deal with effectively. Hope this helps.

• Options

If you must pop a blister, as well as making sure your feet are clean and dry, try using a sterilised needle (passing it through a candle or dunking it in alcohol will do it). I don't pop them, but try and leave them intact as long as possible until they re-absorb the fluid.

RB, have you tried vaseline-ing your feet before you put yor socks on? Reduces friction and therefore the risk of blisters.

Compeed sticks really well and I've used it on blisters and before vaseline on long runs before.

Which socks are you using? Some people swear by double layered ones.

Hope you make it to Torbay

• Options

Thanks guys.  I have tried all socks and the vaseline.  I am trying to harden the skin with surgical spirit at the moment as I have tried the soft approach. I put a little bit of olive oil in the surgical spirit mixture just to take the edge off. 

I have new trainers with a larger toe section, have used bodyglide, compeed etc.

If I can pad them and tape them so I have no pain then I will be fine, but my large toe is looking pretty nasty at the moment.  Even ended up with antibiotics last time.  I think its gonna be trial and error.  The only socks I have not tried are wool ones.  Am gonna trya dn do 5 miles tomorrow with blister plasters and tape.

• Options
    Update, only got a hundred yards up the road, taping did not work and was too painful to run on.  I think its because where it has burst it goes underneath the big toe and even with padding it is too sore to run on.  Have put a thread on the injury section as to my chances of being fit enough with very little training now until the day.
  • Options

Its a 12 day total-rest taper runnersbeen image lucky you! The upside is that if you dont run on it and keep it aired, it will surely be gone gone gone by race day.

Did a steady 10 miler yesterday, felt v good and when I got back went straight out for a walk round the fields with the smellies; I'm such a goddam saint image

• Options

Number42 - By 'smellies' I guess you are refering to your dogs and not your trainers!? image

I went out last night with the club for a 6 mile social run. Boy, was it fast! And hot. I really struggled to keep up. Found my breathing was very laboured and I felt sick and light headed too. It's knocked my confidence back a bit. image

Tommorow we're doing 10k relays and I'm hoping I shall be feeling a bit better than I did last night. I hope it was just a blip caused by the heat.

• Options
    Tonight's plod back from swimming cancelled as I'm not swimming (good enough reason I thought). Thursday is club night, I'm aiming for 5 miles-ish, then see what happens on Sunday...hubby is racing Saturday evening so depends on how I feel when I get up on Sunday.
  • Options

Number 42, you keep my spirits up.  Am so desperate to get out for  a run, although it is so muggy here, and my toe hurts.

What a moaner I am.

• Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Number arrived today, along with chip built into it.  A new one on me, and I must say that the plasic backing looks like it could make things rather sweaty!  You get a nice club vest with hi-tec breathable fabric, and then cover it with plastic...