Torbay Half Marathon

Comments

• Bath had numbers like these 20 minutes, but I'd never seen them before.

Does anyone know if there's a 10K timing mat at Torbay??

• dont sweat it runnersbeen, give your toes a couple of days rest at least. Enjoy the sun. You cant actually do a huge amount to improve anything anyway this close to a half mara (well unless you are a vroooooom snake), uless you pig out and put on a stone (my problem...). So dont worry too much.

kwilter: if i knew what one was, i would let you know... oh BTW can we set up a points system please? I want 60 points for going sub 1:40. Hmm? Can I?

20 minutes: dont go on about your club vest I WANT a club vest dammit. Make my own...

Did 10 mile easy today. Sunny and sweaty. 

• its been 4 days now and still 2 sore to run on. its un believable.
  • you've got eleven more days yet runnersbeen;no worries.

PS, you're up early!

kwilter: POINTS..... 

• We're rooting for you Runners - sounds painful.

Number42 - is that two 10 miles in 2 days? On top of the 30+ miler last week  - I'm in total awe!

Got my number through yesterday - it all seems very real now!

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    To anyone who is running this race for the first time Paington is a great place with the beach next to the start and all the shops and the steam train  you will have a good time
  • Its Thursday now and still cant run, not looking good. Anyone want my number?
  • I've just spotted an advert in my magazine for a quilt shop on Union Street, Torquay...anyone know if it's close to where we're running?

• kwilter: we start on paignton seafront which is a little way from Torquay; Union Street is the top half of Torquay high street if you like, with the bottom part of it being Fleet Walk. You will see Fleet Walk (it heads up into the town) as we come to the top of the lap that takes us into Torquay. 

If you fancy getting there after the race (check if its open mind you??) head out of Paignton along the route we ran; then follow signs to Torquay Town Centre. When you get to the big fork in the road coming into Torquay (one goes to the right, clearly along the harbour where we'll have run, one goes sharp left, the other road heads up a big hill right in front of you) take the middle fork that goes up the hill. Go all the way up the hill, all the way to a set of traffic lights. Go straight across the traffic lights into the car park. Park image On the other side of that car park is Union Street. Happy Shopping!

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

If you want a club vest, why not join a club?
    You seem familiar with Torbay - where do you live?  Lots of clubs in Devon to choose from.

• is there any one out there that has a place, but can't run for what ever reason.

Please contact me  asap....   ashleywatts@live.co.uk

• 20 minutes: im not a joiner see.

still want a vest mind you... and pints.... i mean points 

• You can join a club but not have to train with them.

At least you'd get entry into races a bit cheaper. image

• I am desperate to get a place in the race, unfortunately i have left it too late to get a place. 

If anyone can help because they can't make it due to whatever reason,   please help..   Thanks dudes!

• 42, you can join Plymstock, we often have people who just turn up to races and can't train with us. Then you'll get pints...err...points too image
  • kwilter: whats Plymstocks colours? Can I step out in style?

20 mile LSR today (gotta keep my eye on the big prize, its not exactly half mara training I know) and then I'll be tapering all the way to Torquay; hoping for a slight miracle mind you, have to run at something like 7:35 pace to get under 1:40 and couldnt even manage 10 miles at that pace earlier in the week.

Hoping my taper makes all my training worthwhile and a bit of race magic! Anyway I'm pretty open-minded on miracles these days. 

• OMG 42, can't imagine doing 20 miles, ever...I'm off today, can I stalk you? image

Plymstock are royal blue/white vest...I'll show you mine on Sunday

<did that sound smutty to anyone else?>

• sorry I didnt reply kwilter, I was filling the camelbak and heading off to Tavistock! I couldve done woith a stalker to keep me going! Did Tavistock to Plymouth in 3:10; really really chuffed as (as I keep saying) it was only 3 months or so ago I couldnt run 18 miles without cramping up and spending the rest of the day in bed and today I did 20 miles, finished very strongly and with little or no pain, felt fine and carried on with the rest of my day. Pleased as punch.  I feel more hopeful today than ever about running 100 miles.

tapering now for Torbay, really hope my body pulls together and is ready for action come Sunday week.

Looking forward to seeing a bit of kit action too Kwliter image

• Tavy to Plymouth in 3:10?? That's faster than the bus does it!!

My tapering for Torbay consists of watching Mr K race tonight, 5 miles on Tuesday after swimming, and whatever the club run is on Thursday.

• I'm staying just outside Tavistock next week and will be driving from there on the morning of the race. Hoping it will not take me too long to find somewhere to park in Paignton.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

There is a pay car park just at the far end of Colin road 

I am staying at the Berry hotel in Paignton its self   I love paignton  did not want to go home last year.

• I'll prob park down some side road a mile or so away and jog slowly to the start. Supposed to be a rest day today ugh I really dont like tapers; already feeling odd, overweight and exceedingly impatient. I better get sub 1:40 or I'm going back to idiot school.

Kwilter: how did Mr K do and what was the race?

Richc: Lucky you're not staying IN Tavistock, the traffic is like the centre of Bristol at this time of year. 

Tinker: I never want to go home.....its the dogs they just moan and moan. Especially Ollie who's a fuss arse.

Anyway better take them out before they have a collective impatience meltdown.

My legs are a bit mashed from racing in Wales yesterday.  Fast downhill is fun, but it hurts the next day!

Hopefully will be OK for Sunday.

• Whereabouts in wales? Downhill... sounds like north wales?

I have failed in having a rest day; 9min/mile 40 min run. image

Welsh Castles Relay, 210 miles from North to South.  Fortunately I only had to do 10.8 miles of it, there was uphill as well as down, but it was racing the finishing 2 mile downhil stretch that was such fun yesterday that has done the damage.  I'll be fine for an easy-ish club run on Wednesday.

• 42, he did the Sam Penny 6 in 45:47. Very hilly and 100 steps half way through.

I've biked to and from the allotment today. Tomorrow is swim and run back.

I'm beginning to look forward to Sunday now image

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I am coming down on Friday as far as tauton Dean travel inn  from saddleworth
  • Thanks for the parking tips Michael and Kwilter.

Number42, I'm staying just the other side near Gulworthy so will need to travel through Tavistock. Hopefully it won't be too bad early on a Sunday morning, or am I deluded!

By the way, that's some journey Michael. I'll be following you down the M5 on Saturday; hope the petrol strike is resolved!

• kwilter: what allotment? you never said anything about an allotment?

rich: i think you will be fine that early on a sunday.

tinker: sub 1:30 though!? I heard sub 1:25 is really where its at image