Options

Abingdon Marathon

Comments

• Options

I still hate lists

T rex-yeah, 4.24.16 at london last week

still not qite sure why or how, but i shant complain

• Options
    Right, that's it then ... i've entered. Roll on the summer training.

El C
  • Options
    The only thing that's put me off running this one in the past is the summer training (potentially too hot), but i thought this year, what the heck, let's give it a go.  It is my closest marathon after all.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Yeah, just do it, Nick P.

Hippo - That's a serious time!!  You're having a good year.

• Options

Hi all

Ive been lurknig about this thread for a while image.

I have entered and its my first Marathon image.

Ive set myself a target of under 3 hrs and am just tweeking my training program. Can anyone recomend a half marathon to do during training?

Many thanks 

• Options
    I'd be interested in helping out at Abingdon, but don't think I'm up for a marathon yet.  Are there any first timers running?
  • Options

Nick p..that was the reason I didn't bother with an autumn marathon last year..the thought of training through the summer..all that heat ..pah !! fat chance it was perfect training weather wasn't it. ? .I had to go to Tenerife to get ANY sun at all....so up for Abingdon this year.and hoping for another summer of good old rubbish British weather.

Tony I have entered Bristol half in September..should be good timing to gauge how the training is going..

• Options

I'm new to this forum but I was so impressed (& grateful) for the noise and support that was offered at Mudchute on Sunday that I thought I'd look in on it. I had an utterly disastrous FLM and have been inspired to enter this based on the enthusiasm that all of you are showing (+ I grew up in Abingdon so it'll be a bit sentimental)... I hope I'm not cursing you all come 20 miles on 19/10.

• Options
    Should probably think up a forum name as wellimage
  • Options
    I am just lurking...are there any links to hotels guest houses near the race?
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

thinking about it...

wouldn't involve a stop-over which is good

would require some negotiation with oh 

anyone any idea how close to being full this is? 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I hope not too close.  I haven't entered yet.

Is that grrrI or grrr! - my eyes are going?  I'm sure the organisers would be very appreciative of offers of help.   I would imagine a lot of first-timers at this marathon - it is a very suitable event, without all the crowds of FLM.

Tony S 17 - first marathon?  Sub-3:00??  Totally radical.  There are lots of half maras.  Depends what area you live in.

• Options

WP,

Well done at  FLM, (are you having training tips from 'little S' from the shop ?).

This is a defo PB course, if you run it you may even beat your recent PB !

You may find links from Abingdon Amblers website (as they organise the race), i've found accomodation in the past by just browsing through accomodation in Abingdon via Google.

rd,

I don't think this race is anywhere near full yet, i think they allow for some 800 runners, i'm sure they don't do on the day entry though so you'd probably have to enter in advance.

btw, i got my confirmation of entry through the post today, anyone else ?

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Burnham Beeches half 17 Aug?  Well-organised event, somewhat hilly 2-lap course.  Clashes with Olympic women's mara image (or will it be shown the night before?  Don't know TV schedules yet.)
  • Options
    WP..GOTTCHA..!!!!! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO...image
  • Options

had a look at the website and it says they are normally reach quota in july.

• Options
    Just entered online. I've done it twice before and didn't want to miss out.
  • Options
    hazzervyehazzervye ✭✭✭
    Thinking about this what's it like? done two maras so far ,Cardiff and London,how's it compare course wise is it as flat as those are? desperate to go under 3.15 this year!
  • Options
    For accomodation, Oxford is only 8 miles away and has everything from back packer hostels to luxuary hotels with plenty of buses linking Abingdon.
  • Options

what have I done, only gone and entered! didn't finish this one last time so must lay it to rest as it were.

Fantastic pb Hipps, welldone!

hazzervye the bit of mara I did was flat not many peeps for crowd support though and town centre a bit hair raising ( with traffick )

I understand the finish at the stadium is brill  

• Options

Abingdon highlights for me: Loads. I'll cut and paste my race ranking protocol and tick the boxes.

Score points in each category to give a comparative value for each race.

1)     Fast and flat

2)     Good competition

3)     Good prize lists at the top end, and spot prizes

4)     Goody bag/medal

5)     Good scenery on the route

6)     Good start and finish venue

7)     Well supported

8)     Good changing, showers and toilets

9)     Value for money £1 per mile

10)  Something unique

Out of 10, this gives:

London Marathon 8.5 out of 10

Race the train 8 out of 10

Hogweed trot 10k gets 7.5 out of 10

Abingdon marathon gets 9 out of 10

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    hazzervye - Ah, Cardiff!  RIP.  Yes, Cardiff would be a very good comparison in terms of course profile and stadium finish and roughly the number of competitors.  No half marathon hordes, though.
  • Options
    Blisters you are selling me the idea more and more
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

1)     Fast and flat

Yup Abingdon is.  Not as fast as London because if it's windy you won't get the shelter of the buildings.  Not totally flat as I recall a drag from 20 to 24 miles.

2)     Good competition

I got to run in a group until 20m then ran the last 10k on my own.  At FLM there's always someone around.

3)     Good prize lists at the top end, and spot prizes

Not at Abingdon.  Top 3 bagged a prize the year I did it.  Hardly generous for a marathon of around 1000 people.  There's small club run 10ks in Yorkshire get down to 1st 20 plus loads of Vet Categories.

4)     Goody bag/medal

Can't remember if I did.  Not that important really.  If it is important to someone they could find a local trophy shop...

5)     Good scenery on the route

Far more to look at in London or Paris than the Oxfordshire countryside.  Unless you like sheep of course...

6)     Good start and finish venue

Yep, Abingdon comes out top in this.  The stadium offers all the facilities one would want without the crowds.

7)     Well supported

I'm taking the missus to make sure I am

8)     Good changing, showers and toilets

Yup - can't fault it.  I do believe some effete southern runners require a shower rather than making do with Lynx for menimage

9)     Value for money £1 per mile

Similar to FLM.  Was £12 4 years ago.  Is it the effect of the Gulf War?

10)  Something unique

Every race is `unique' as no two races have the same course or same entry.

Abingdon does extremely well at what it tries to do - it's a very efficiently organised club marathon.  I can't think of another marathon in the UK which compares.  The other major ones are run by larger organisations and I take off my hat to Abingdon Amblers for this.
  • Options

NN I am still just lurking!!

FA

Oh yes will be getting even more tips from young Simage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

BR,

After all that................ will you be doing it ?  If not, then its one less runner i have to catch up and pass image

• Options
    ............  that is, assuming i'm in peak condition by then !
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭

FA - bold statement!    It's always good to have someone in mind to chase.  I'm looking forward to being a spectator at Abingdon.

Out of interest what are your 10k and half times?

• Options

Hi  Hilly,

10k whats one of those ???? i haven't run a10k for a couple of years pb was 39.07 last time i checked, my last half mara was 1.23 at Taunton (week before FLM), i clocked a 2.57 at Dumfries Mara which was 3 wks before i clocked a 2.56 at FLM,  hoping for sub 2.50 at Edinburgh, then a long summer training towards a 2.45

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well that is done...... was going to run the New Forest mara, but after a meeting today, I will now be in Grantham for the night entertaining / entertained on the sat night and the bar doesnt close till 3am......

So have just entered on line, for yet another stab at 3:30.......

Nice to see some familiar faces on here..

Take care